Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Disappointing Product and Forum
batwings [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 01, 2009 11:37 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I purchased PowerDirector 7 Ultra specifically to burn high definition video to Blu-Ray discs. PD7 Ultra was the most expensive product I was considering. It sounds as though this product has a major flaw in rendering AVCHD. That is a huge disappointment and I'll be looking to another product (possibly VideoStudio Pro X2) if CyberLink doesn't get this corrected in the very near future.

I'm also quite amazed with the lack of activity on this forum. I've never interacted with a forum where this is so little expert support. I'm not trying to take away from those that do what they can to help users as I have seen some examples of that here. I'm just surprised that the forum is not more active.

Is there another connection directly to CyberLink that may provide more results?
Keyan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 16, 2009 09:09 Messages: 38 Offline
[Post New]
What flaw are you referring to? I can make AVCHD video discs burned to DVDs that work just fine my Blu-ray player.
batwings [Avatar]
[Post New]
I can create a Blu-Ray that plays fine in a Blu-Ray player but the rendering of the AVCHD degrades the video quality. Raw AVCHD footage looks great but as you edit and render the footage, it drops the quality. Others have mentioned it on this forum and it seems to be a known problem with PD.
Keyan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well, that I agree with.

All they really need to do is create a way for us (the end users) to define the parameters of the render like we can do when just creating the file.

AVCHD is just such a new standard that everyone is having weirdness with it.

I get crashing and all kinds of issues in Sony Vegas as well..and that software has no official support for 64-bit Vista or optimizations for the i7 or CUDA (very slow renders compared to PD7).

I haven't heard yet of a software that seems to get everything right and just work, which is really annoying.
batwings [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Keyan. I was hoping you would tell me I was just doing something wrong. It is frustrating that nothing seems to work with AVCHD correctly.

Have you Tried VideoStudio Pro X2? It sounds promising but without real users' feedback, I'm afraid to try it as I've been burned with Roxio Creator and PD7.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks "batwings" for your criticisms! I'm sure you're willing to share with us some useful information as a fellow video editor, please see the questions below - answer as fully as you can.

Questions:
1. What build version of PD7 are you using?

2. What are the specifications of your PC? Please attach a Diagnostic File to your next post so we can all review the full capabilities of your video platform.

I presume you know how to produce a diagnostic file - if not ask.

Customer Support contact details:
http://www.cyberlink.com/english/cs/support/new_site/support_index.html

Dafydd

This message was edited 7 times. Last update was at Jan 21. 2009 13:36

Keyan [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, but another user in a different post reported more issues with that software than he/she was having with PD7...

The only thing left is Pinnacle Studio, which if you go to their forum seems to have it's own share of bugs as well.

Historically I've used Pinnacle, PowerDirector, and Vegas, and it seems that each of them have had and still have their various quirks and bugs. I know they are dealing with a wide range of hardware configs and they are pretty much pushing every PC out there to the max of its performance due to the nature of rendering, but it would be nice if they just had a few less problems.

I hope they fix the AVCHD quality issue quickly. I'm sure they are trying to balance quality vs. file size vs. speed, but really, I know I would rather the file be a little bit larger and take longer to render if it meant my final output would look great instead of barely better than well rendered SD MPEG2 upconverted by my Blu-ray player.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Batwings,

I'm also quite amazed with the lack of activity on this forum. I've never interacted with a forum where this is so little expert support. I'm not trying to take away from those that do what they can to help users as I have seen some examples of that here. I'm just surprised that the forum is not more active.

I'm not sure what you expected. The Cyberlink Community Forum is" for CyberLink members to discuss and share their users' experience". I'm not sure that means expert support, except for the goodwill of the more experienced members. It explicitly is not monitored by Cyberlink Technical support, as per the header on the main index page, although I do know the mods bring issues to Cyberlinks attention if they appear to warrant it.

Personally, I spend (and enjoy) time examining questions and delving into the guts of PD7 and, if I find an answer great, if not.... maybe someone else has or will. Participating in the forum has allowed me to learn far more and become much more expert than just trying to work it out for myself, so for me it's been worthwhile.

Cheers
Adrian Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
batwings [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd.

My answers follow your questions below...

1. What build version of PD7 are you using? I have 7.0.2429a

2. What are the specifications of your PC? Please attach a Diagnostic File to your next post so we can all review the full capabilities of your video platform. I don't know how to attach a Diagnostic File but can tell you that I'm using a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Ultimate, 32 bit, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz with 4GB of RAM and 500 GB hard drive.

I'm not having trouble running the software, in fact it runs better than most and I really like the software. The problem is with how the software renders the AVCHD. Burning raw AVCHD to a Blu-Ray disk with PD7 produces great results. If you want to edit the AVCHD footage and then burn to Blu-Ray, the video quality is dramatically reduced.

I've seen others discuss this problem here.

If there is a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for listening.
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ... It explicitly is not monitored by Cyberlink Technical support, as per the header on the main index page, although I do know the mods bring issues to Cyberlinks attention if they appear to warrant it...

Actually, this is a really good question: have the mods brought the "AVCHD issue" to Cyberlinks attention?

AVCHD ISSUE: The video quality of AVCHD files is dramatically reduced when rendered in PowerDirector, and SVRT for AVCHD not working properly.

Thanks for your answer,

Juan

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 21. 2009 16:58

Walker [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 19, 2008 18:57 Messages: 97 Offline
[Post New]
The original post gave me a good laugh. When you get a free 30 day trial and you can see the forums before buying anything, what excuse is there to get all huffy. No one here owns Cyberlink stock.

Post Edited by Moderator, contents removed. Instruction from CyberLink. This forum is for PowerDirector and not rival products.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jan 22. 2009 04:36

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Dafydd.

My answers follow your questions below...

1. What build version of PD7 are you using? I have 7.0.2429a

2. What are the specifications of your PC? Please attach a Diagnostic File to your next post so we can all review the full capabilities of your video platform. I don't know how to attach a Diagnostic File but can tell you that I'm using a Sony Vaio with Windows Vista Ultimate, 32 bit, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU T9300 @ 2.50GHz with 4GB of RAM and 500 GB hard drive.

I'm not having trouble running the software, in fact it runs better than most and I really like the software. The problem is with how the software renders the AVCHD. Burning raw AVCHD to a Blu-Ray disk with PD7 produces great results. If you want to edit the AVCHD footage and then burn to Blu-Ray, the video quality is dramatically reduced.

I've seen others discuss this problem here.

If there is a solution, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks for listening.

I didn't expect to write a simple tutorial on "how to attach a file".
1. Reply to this post
2. see the button "Attach File" - it's next to the "Submit" button.
3. Browse and locate your file. The DXDiagbatwings.txt file I asked you to produce.

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page
Subject: PowerDirector - information we request and tasks to carry out.
PART B
PART D
I'd like you to read "D" and then relate to us your selections. before assistance can be given the fullest information is needed. I also point out to you that this is a forum where MEMBERS help each other and NOT a place for Technical Support. If you have a complaint relating to the quality you get on rendering AVCHD then
1. You can approach Customer Support
or
2. You can post additional information and see what response you get.

Adrian = vn800rider, Thank you for your valued contribution. I always appreciate your posts on the forum as do many others on here. It's a shame that some "first post" newbies don't understand how this forum operates and its reliance on the goodwill of fellow Video Editors. I think you and many others I could name contribute a great deal to this forum.

Walker: excellent point. Sorry about deleting the rest.

Keyan: Excellent posts.

Juan: I think you know the AVCHD issue has been reported to CyberLink. there is a "suggestion box" http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/3980.page

Dafydd
[Thumb - sdukpdb468.gif]
 Filename
sdukpdb468.gif
[Disk]
 Description
Attach a file
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
191 time(s)
Keyan [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have opened a support case with Cyberlink about the AVCHD final quality. I would suggest that everyone else who is noticing the same issue also open support cases, that way they realize it is a widespread and noticeable issue that needs to be addressed.

[Post New]
Quote: I have opened a support case with Cyberlink about the AVCHD final quality. I would suggest that everyone else who is noticing the same issue also open support cases, that way they realize it is a widespread and noticeable issue that needs to be addressed.

I submitted a support ticket a while ago but I got such inappropriate responses that I gave up.

PD7 is still my preferred editor of the four I have but it would be much better if I could not have to bypass AVCHD rendering in production.
Juan [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Dec 01, 2008 23:35 Messages: 33 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Dafydd,

This is the first time that I receive a response from you regarding the AVCHD issue, and I really appreciate it.
Sure, I know the AVCHD issue has been reported to CyberLink, however I still don't know if "the mods" (you) received any response from them, have you?
Of course, I have used the "suggestion box". Moreover, I have submitted a support ticket regarding this issue, but I got the same inappropriate responses than pjc.

Thanks again.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 22. 2009 17:20

Keyan [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I just got a response regarding the issue telling me to set the burn speed low, use quality media, reinstall my video drivers, and check the firmware of my burner.

If only the problem was just a burning issue and not a fundamental issue with how the software is actually rendering the video at a lower quality than the source.

I think there may be a language barrier or something preventing my point from getting across.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm locking this post as I feel "batwings" topic has now become peripheral and discussion has moved to a an area of AVCHD that is more appropriately dealt with as a new topic.

I would welcome either pjc, Keyan or Juan posting their enquiry and comments under a NEW topic of "AVCHD rendering" or some such. I'd also request the three of you provide a "pure" 1 to 5 second unedited avchd video and then render the same video in PD7, making both avchd's available to me to look at by uploading to an ftp and I'll get them looked at by R&D etc at CyberLink.

Let me know when you can and have these available - I'll send you the ftp info. Make sure all file names of the video relate to YOUR NAME and can be identified easily.

Let's see if this issue can be resolved.

Dafydd

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2009 13:01

Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't normally post PM data on the forum, on this occasion I think it is right to do so. I appreciated the PM I received - 2009-01-23.
Quote: Dafydd,

I wanted to apologize if I offended you or the folks that participate in this forum. My original post came during a moment of extreme frustration with the software.

I will monitor the new thread on AVCHD to see if the problem gets resolved.

Again, I apologize.

Thanks.