Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cinema Aspect Ratios (produce in PDR)
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
I've struggled with this for years, so I'm hoping someone will just put me out of my misery one way or the other.

Producing videos in PDR that have a non-16:9 aspect ratio has been recently discussed here & here... and lots of times prior to that.

I've come to the (maybe too simplistic) conclusion that it can't be done in PDR. Dozens of customised profiles later, all I've managed to create are videos with various "cinema" aspect ratios stuck in a 16:9 frame.

When PepsiMan posted a different approach, I thought "AHA! This will do it." Following step-by-step to make sure I wasn't missing a thing, I put both PepsiMan's methods to the test. All I got was a distorted (stretched) image. Either I've messed up or it doesn't work.

I could have got this result much more simply!

Using a 21:9 screen capture posted recently, I tried to produce to 3440x1440 after modifying Profile.ini. Yep - MediaInfo says it's 3440x1440, but it also says it's 16:9. When I play it back, it just looks like a 21:9 video in a 16:9 frame (black bars top & bottom). So - the actual image area might be 21:9 but the video is not.

Help - Tony
[Thumb - Pepsied Grid.png]
 Filename
Pepsied Grid.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
11 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
397 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 16. 2017 21:29

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote When PepsiMan posted a different approach, I thought "AHA! This will do it." Following step-by-step to make sure I wasn't missing a thing, I put both PepsiMan's methods to the test. All I got was a distorted (stretched) image. Either I've messed up or it doesn't work.

Using a 21:9 screen capture posted recently, I tried to produce to 3440x1440 after modifying Profile.ini. Yep - MediaInfo says it's 3440x1440, but it also says it's 16:9. When I play it back, it just looks like a 21:9 video in a 16:9 frame (black bars top & bottom). So - the actual image area might be 21:9 but the video is not.

Help - Tony

From PepsiMan’s video I see that his technique does produce 21:9 video from 16:9. The video at 15:04/16:08 show the the speed limit sign is a square instead of a rectangle and the vehicle on the left is too wide. Since I don’t have a 21:9 anormorphic camera or monitor I never pursue it.

Believe that the technique should work well with a 16:9 camera using an anamorphic lens adapter such as this one : http://www.slrmagic.co.uk/slr-magic-anamorphot-133x-50-anamorphic-adapter.html . The 21:9 video will be optically horizontally squeezed into a 16:9 camera sensor. People would look too thin when view in 16:9 but correct when expanded out to 21:9 using PepsiMan’s technique.

This is nothing new. Anamorphics lens adapter were available 10 years ago to do 16:9 videos on the sony vx2100. The alternative was to have the top and bottom masked as an effect selected in the camera. You then lose vertical sharpness because less scan lines are used in the video.

The combination of using an anamorphic lens on a 16:9 camera and PepsiMan’s technique should create true 21:9 or 2.35 to 1 ratio video. This is a plus for powerdirector.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Ynotfish & Tomasc

Probably the Cinematic 21:9(I thought is was 20:9) aspect ratio capability may be for a future Power Director version, perhaps PD17 or PD18. I'm just now starting to see 21:9 aspect ratio computer monitors entering the market and cameras for the aspect ratio at consumer level? Editing and burning discs or uploading to YouTube may be still a little way off as yet(at my guess).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2017 01:10

PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've struggled with this for years, so I'm hoping someone will just put me out of my misery one way or the other...

Tony

and i've finally found, after you've posted this topic, through google search engine.

cyberlink's search engine is weak.

here -> 16:9 to 2.35:1

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/42947.page;jsessionid=A38BDC19D51DC9487A695C1417E94E91#221687

here ye here ye

come on get it, Tony's masks,

if you don't like compressing and stretching the videos to achieve 2.35:1 to 21:9.

panny's GH4 has 1:1 aspect ratio after a firmware update and can stretch to 2.35:1 with software.

i've read, GH5 other hand uses 4:3 aspect ratio to achieve the 2.35:1 aspect ratio videos,

similar to what i've done with PowerDirector???

lovely.

oh happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2017 11:35

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote I've come to the (maybe too simplistic) conclusion that it can't be done in PDR. Dozens of customised profiles later, all I've managed to create are videos with various "cinema" aspect ratios stuck in a 16:9 frame.

When PepsiMan posted a different approach, I thought "AHA! This will do it." Following step-by-step to make sure I wasn't missing a thing, I put both PepsiMan's methods to the test. All I got was a distorted (stretched) image. Either I've messed up or it doesn't work.

Help - Tony

You are probably doing nothing wrong. Just did some research and experimentation on the 21:9 game capture you gave the link to. Powerdirector does not allow a 21:9 flag on anamorphic video. See my separate post on that. Mediainfo will report it as 16:9 as you have found. However the video can display and play properly on vlc as 21:9 and full screen with no black bars on a 21:9 monitor. FCP for the mac is the only software that you can set that flag that I found so far.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I've come to the (maybe too simplistic) conclusion that it can't be done in PDR. Dozens of customised profiles later, all I've managed to create are videos with various "cinema" aspect ratios stuck in a 16:9 frame.

Help - Tony

You are probably doing nothing wrong. Just did some research and experimentation on the 21:9 game capture you gave the link to. Powerdirector does not allow a 21:9 flag on anamorphic video. See my separate post on that. Mediainfo will report it as 16:9 as you have found. However the video can display and play properly on vlc as 21:9 and full screen with no black bars on a 21:9 monitor. FCP for the mac is the only software that you can set that flag that I found so far.

As I said earlier, 21:9 screens are just starting to appear in computer stores and consumer electrical/electronics shops. If you've managed to get one of these and hooked it up to your computer, methinks(and I AM guessing, here) the computer would "think" that it's still a 16:9 screen, resulting in any 21:9 content appearing with black bars at top & bottom and the image itself stretched out like Granny's elastic undies(underwear)! I'm guessing it's not just the software that needs to catch up with these new 21:9 screens, it's the computer harware that also needs reworking to match.
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony – Check out my post and the attached p2.mp4 video. I basically used PepsiMan’s alternate method but wanted to check out other aspects of video editing using effects too. I supplied a brief explanation on how the produced video was created.

Please let us know if it can displays full screen properly on your 21:9 computer monitor.