Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Why don't video editors have a 2.35:1 conversion setting?
mikegarcia55 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2017 15:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Many people want to create films in 2.35:1 aspect ratios yet I dont quite understand why this isn't a preset. Even adobe premiere doesn't seem to have it. Does anyone know why this is?

I've been looking to edit my videos to 2.35:1 aspect ratio and it seems the only solution is to add a mask/overlay on the 16:9 footage. The problem with this is that the file is STILL 16:9 therefore on my 21:9 ultrawide monitor at full screen there are black bars on all 4 sides.

Has anyone found a solution to get past this?

Many thanks
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
welcome to the forum.

Quote ...

Many thanks

me.

-> creating 2.35 1??? ??? ???? Anamorphic & 21 9 Aspect Ratio Videos ??? ??? ??w PowerDirector
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XhFXTszRMc

-> alternate method ?? ? ??to create 2.35 1??? ??? ???? Cinema Wide Anamorphic videos w PowerDirector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BavtkAYV3Sk

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2017 19:13

'no bridge too far'

Yashica Electro 8 LD-6 Super 8mm
Asrock TaiChi X470, AMD R7 2700X, W7P 64, MSI GTX1060 6GB, Corsair 16GB/RAM
Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Many people want to create films in 2.35:1 aspect ratios yet I dont quite understand why this isn't a preset. Even adobe premiere doesn't seem to have it. Does anyone know why this is?

I've been looking to edit my videos to 2.35:1 aspect ratio and it seems the only solution is to add a mask/overlay on the 16:9 footage. The problem with this is that the file is STILL 16:9 therefore on my 21:9 ultrawide monitor at full screen there are black bars on all 4 sides.

Many thanks
If you search the internet for "2.35:1 aspect ratio editor" you can find several techniques for cropping or masking your 16:9 editor to 2.35:1.

There may be professional video editors that work directly in 2.35:1. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

mikegarcia55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote welcome to the forum.

Quote ...

Many thanks

me.

-> creating 2.35 1??? ??? ???? Anamorphic & 21 9 Aspect Ratio Videos ??? ??? ??w PowerDirector

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XhFXTszRMc

-> alternate method ?? ? ??to create 2.35 1??? ??? ???? Cinema Wide Anamorphic videos w PowerDirector https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BavtkAYV3Sk

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Thanks Pepsiman,

I will give it a go. Does it reduce the footage quality in anyway?
mikegarcia55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Many people want to create films in 2.35:1 aspect ratios yet I dont quite understand why this isn't a preset. Even adobe premiere doesn't seem to have it. Does anyone know why this is?

Many thanks
If you search the internet for "2.35:1 aspect ratio editor" you can find several techniques for cropping or masking your 16:9 editor to 2.35:1.

There may be professional video editors that work directly in 2.35:1.

Hi carl, I understand that there are ways to do this but was wondering why video editors don't have the option to do it for you rather than having to do all sorts of editing in order to get the result. Especially if the user has to start dealing with editing files like in pepsimans technique. Supposedly final cut pro has this option but i've never used it since I have windows.
PepsiMan
Senior Contributor Location: Clarksville, TN Joined: Dec 29, 2010 01:20 Messages: 1054 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ...

my recommendations for rendering bitrate is same or 1 to 3Mb/sec more than the source video.

more or less than that in my opinion the video quality suffers.

remember my phrase gigo...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 18. 2017 01:59

'no bridge too far'

Dell XPS L702X i7-2860QM, W7P / W10P 64, Intel HD3000/nVidia GT 550M 1GB, Micron 16GB/RAM
Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
mikegarcia55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote ...

my recommendations for rendering bitrate is same or 1 to 3Mb/sec more than the source video.

more or less than that in my opinion the video quality suffers.

remember my phrase gigo...

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garabe out'

Very strange I got to the step where you change the as pect ratio to 4:3 and produce and then used the same clip again to produce in 16:9 but it crashed.

Restarted my computer and tried to produce at 4:3 using the original clip again and it keeps crashing, have tried 8 times now. Is this a common occurence?
PepsiMan
[Post New]
Quote ...

Is this a common occurence?

no.

must follow instruction very closely.

which method are you using.

first one with re-edited & updated one or

second one an alternate method?

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out' 'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
PepsiMan
[Post New]
Very strange I got to the step where you change the as pect ratio to 4:3 and produce and then used the same clip again to produce in 16:9 but it crashed.

once you produce that 4x3 video and that video is in the library then start a new workspace.

before bringing that video to timeline make sure the new workspace is in 16:9.

bring down that 4x3 video to timeline.

since that produced video is in 16:9, there isn't going to be a aspect ratio conflict warning.

right click on the video and change the aspect ratio to 16:9.

right there you'll see that your video is stretched little more.

now go to PRODUCE windows and use that custom profile to render to final 2.35:1 or 21:9 video.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'grabage in garbage out'

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 10. 2017 18:13

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
mikegarcia55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote ...

Is this a common occurence?

no.

must follow instruction very closely.

which method are you using.

first one with re-edited & updated one or

second one an alternate method?

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

When I changed the resolution from 'Video Tab'in the 'Quality Profile Setup' when editing the 'custom profile' from the default 320x240 the program does not crash when processing.

Should I have changed the values beforehand. In your video it doesn't mention going into that tab but I noticed that your settings were different from mine.

The default values were:

Resolution : 320 x 240

Frame rate: 240

Rate Control Average bitrate 5000

What should these values be?

Thanks for your patience
PepsiMan
[Post New]
Quote ...

When I changed the resolution from 'Video Tab'in the 'Quality Profile Setup' when editing the 'custom profile' from the default 320x240 the program does not crash when processing.

Should I have changed the values beforehand. In your video it doesn't mention going into that tab but I noticed that your settings were different from mine.

The default values were:

Thanks for your patience

you're NOT following the instruction!

you're trying to modify the modified-custom profile. don't.

watch the an alternate method. you only need to create one custom 16:9 profile

and don't have to modify profile.ini

just practice couple of times before you jump the gun.

if your settings are out of the PD's perimeter, heck yeah it'll crash!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 10. 2017 18:59

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1
mikegarcia55 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote ...

The default values were:

Thanks for your patience

you're NOT following the instruction!

you're trying to modify the modified-custom profile. don't.

watch the an alternate method. you only need to create one custom 16:9 profile

and don't have to modify profile.ini

just practice couple of times before you jump the gun.

if your settings are out of the PD's perimeter, heck yeah it'll crash!

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

Thank you Pepsiman for all the help. The second method works to get a 2.35:1 look however it is not the final result I want as explained in my original post. (For me an easier way to get similar results is to just add black bar overlays/mask on top of the entire clip and produce.)

By setting the aspect ratio back to 16:9 the file is still essentially a 16:9 file. Therefore on an ultrawide 21:9 wide screen monitor it will still have black bars on the left and right, since it is not 'True' 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

On top of that stretching distorts the image, I much prefer it to be cropped so that picqure quality is maintained even though some of the footage is cut out.

I will be looking to return power director for adobe premiere or the likes of it.

Thanks

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 11. 2017 06:42

PepsiMan
[Post New]
Quote ...

The second method works to get a 2.35:1 look however it is not the final result I want as explained in my original post. (For me an easier way to get similar results is to just add black bar overlays/mask on top of the entire clip and produce.)

By setting the aspect ratio back to 16:9 the file is still essentially a 16:9 file. Therefore on an ultrawide 21:9 wide screen monitor it will still have black bars on the left and right, since it is not 'True' 2.35:1 aspect ratio.

On top of that stretching distorts the image, I much prefer it to be cropped so that picqure quality is maintained even though some of the footage is cut out.

I will be looking to return power director for adobe premiere or the likes of it.

Thanks

after the second method if you still got the black bars left and right, you haven't done it properly.

you'll see it in the preview window pane when it is stretched to 16:9.

my samsung does not show black bars left and right either.

yes, my method it does stretch left to right and even though it says 16:9 the picture area is ≈2.35:1

or ≈21:9. also like you said distorts the image.

only way to fix that is shoot the videos using the anamorphic lens...

* update- panny's GH4 has a firmware update that you can shoot it in 1:1 ratio then stretch to 2.35:1

without noticeable anomalies... upcoming panny's GH5 does it with 4:3 to 2.35:1...

i've posted a suggestions to future PD.

happy happy joy joy

PepsiMan

'garbage in garbage out'

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 18. 2017 11:51

'no bridge too far'

Samsung Galaxy Note3/NX1