Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MOV importing issue/PD14
MDelima [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 11, 2017 20:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Aloha Everyone! smile

I'm new to the forum and new to using Power Director. I have Power Director 14, Windows 10. Here's the ussue I am having.

When I try to import my media file, I get the hour glass and the program freezes and does not respond. The files that I am tjying to import are MOV files, that are quite large. The files were shot with a DJI phantom in 4K.

If anyone can give me suggestions on how to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate all your help! Thank you Mahalo!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Aloha Everyone! smile

I'm new to the forum and new to using Power Director. I have Power Director 14, Windows 10. Here's the ussue I am having.

When I try to import my media file, I get the hour glass and the program freezes and does not respond. The files that I am tjying to import are MOV files, that are quite large. The files were shot with a DJI phantom in 4K.

If anyone can give me suggestions on how to fix this issue I would greatly appreciate all your help! Thank you Mahalo!

Hmmm, large MOV files ay? I've seen referrences in other posts to a programme called "Handbrake", and though I don't have it myself and cannot comment on its effectiveness, I've seen recommendations of this software for file type conversion from Carl312 and others. And it is file conversion you'll be needing to get around these large file sizes sending PD14 into a tizzy when you try to import them. Carl312 may be able to shed some more light on this software, over to you, Carl!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It would be helpful to know what your computer setup is. Please see this link Help scroll down til you the dxdiag instructions. Create and attach the dxdiag file to this thread Also be sure to have the latest PD patch installed.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2017 05:21

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Follow Barry's advice here! He's been a long-time contributor to this foum and has "learned a few tricks" along the way.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Quote It would be helpful to know what your computer setup is. Please see this link Help scroll down til you the dxdiag instructions. Create and attach the dxdiag file to this thread Also be sure to have the latest PD patch installed.

Hi MDelima, Barry and Neil

Has anybody thought to check that Quicktime has been installed?

I think I'm right in saying that PD requires Quicktime to work with .MOV. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

There is a "light" version of Quicktime available that alleviates the security issues around the original version. Again correct me if I'm wrong.

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote It would be helpful to know what your computer setup is. Please see this link Help scroll down til you the dxdiag instructions. Create and attach the dxdiag file to this thread Also be sure to have the latest PD patch installed.

I think I'm right in saying that PD requires Quicktime to work with .MOV. Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

There is a "light" version of Quicktime available that alleviates the security issues around the original version. Again correct me if I'm wrong.

Robert

Good point, Shadowman! In the event that Quicktime isn't present, perhaps Handbrake might come in handy, but wait..... Doesn't the installation process for Power Director(any recent version) incorporate Quicktime? I seem to recall Quicktime being installed as a part of the installation process for PD14 Ultra and, possibly PD8 Ultra as well. Back to you, Shadowman!
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]

Robert

Good point, Shadowman! In the event that Quicktime isn't present, perhaps Handbrake might come in handy, but wait..... Doesn't the installation process for Power Director(any recent version) incorporate Quicktime? I seem to recall Quicktime being installed as a part of the installation process for PD14 Ultra and, possibly PD8 Ultra as well. Back to you, Shadowman!

So MDelima, given the confirmation, check that you have Quicktime installed. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
It is also relevant what version/level of PowerDirector. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I've gone through this recently... at least with PD13. I'll 'second' that QT Lite allows MOV video clips to be imported ad edited in PD13 at least.

edit addition: AND it's a good idea to use the QT Lite as I think it does NOT have the security issues that the regular QT has.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2017 09:36

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have the regular Quicktime on my computer, have to say I haven't had any issues with it. Thus I'm able to import MOV. files without any hassles. I've got PD14 and PD8 residing side-by-side on my computer, both "Ultra" versions and MOV. files work okay with both PD versions.(this comment has had to be reposted due to sluggish internet service)
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote I've gone through this recently... at least with PD13. I'll 'second' that QT Lite allows MOV video clips to be imported ad edited in PD13 at least.

edit addition: AND it's a good idea to use the QT Lite as I think it does NOT have the security issues that the regular QT has.

CS

That's what I said I meantlaughing Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Quote I have the regular Quicktime on my computer, have to say I haven't had any issues with it. Thus I'm able to import MOV. files without any hassles. I've got PD14 and PD8 residing side-by-side on my computer, both "Ultra" versions and MOV. files work okay with both PD versions.(this comment has had to be reposted due to sluggish internet service)

While we await a response from the OP, I suggest to Neil to REMOVE Quicktime and reinstall the light version (a link is on my site). It is the QT Player that is full of security issues. Follow the instructions for custom install.
No need to get back to me, we need the OP to jump back into the thread with answers.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2017 10:45

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MDelima [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 11, 2017 20:39 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I have the regular Quicktime on my computer, have to say I haven't had any issues with it. Thus I'm able to import MOV. files without any hassles. I've got PD14 and PD8 residing side-by-side on my computer, both "Ultra" versions and MOV. files work okay with both PD versions.(this comment has had to be reposted due to sluggish internet service)

While we await a response from the OP, I suggest to Neil to REMOVE Quicktime and reinstall the light version (a link is on my site). It is the QT Player that is full of security issues. Follow the instructions for custom install.
No need to get back to me, we need the OP to jump back into the thread with answers.

Good Morning all! Thank you so very much for all of your suggestions. I will check to besure I have QT installed and try that first.
CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
Install QT LITE... NOT regular QT... (as has been suggested)if you want to try to avoid security issues.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Install QT LITE... NOT regular QT... (as has been suggested)if you want to try to avoid security issues.

CS

Again, I say, I haven't had any problems with Quicktime! I've seen Apple throw a couple of prompts my way on occasions, and an update for Quicktime may have been among them, but I've just clicked "quit" and not bothered with them.

I don't see any point in uninstalling the regular version of Quicktime and going for the "unleaded" version(ha-ha), if I've not experienced problems with the regular version. Those "security issues" simply haven't shown up! I'll add this: Barry, Quicktime may be on my computer but I don't use it to play back any clips(unless they may be really old stuff I want to review, and that's a rare occasion). But I have other options to review old QT stuff anyway. So the QT icon(and the software it links to) can happily sit on my computer.... It's not causing any detrimental effects at all! If at any time it does, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 12. 2017 19:58

CS2014
[Post New]
You, (Neil) may not have experienced any problems having QT installed on your computer. That is not to say that someone that has it installed is NOT at risk. It seems accepted thought is - that the regular QT installation (on a non-Apple computer platform) MAY present an opportunity for a security breech - that MAY present a problem.

SO, if one can avoid that, why should they NOT take precaution and NOT install QT... but QT Lite Neil?

I suppose I can leave this as simply disagreeing with you (Neil) that just because YOU have not had an issue - it does NOT mean it could NOT be a problem for someone else. And THAT is the reason to err on the side of caution - in my opinion... and install QT Lite over the regular QT.

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Feb 12. 2017 20:51

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You, (Neil) may not have experienced any problems having QT installed on your computer. That is not to say that someone that has it installed is NOT at risk. It seems accepted thought is - that the regular QT installation (on a non-Apple computer platform) MAY present an opportunity for a security breech - that MAY present a problem.

SO, if one can avoid that, why should they NOT take precaution and NOT install QT... but QT Lite Neil?

I suppose I can leave this as simply disagreeing with you (Neil) that just because YOU have not had an issue - it does NOT mean it could NOT be a problem for someone else. And THAT is the reason to err on the side of caution - in my opinion... and install QT Lite over the regular QT.

CS

I think the answer here is rather obvious. The old adage, "If it ain't broke...." applies here. If one is NOT experiencing any problems, leave well enough alone. However, if QT is causing problems, that is the cue to take necesssary action to alleviate the problem, such as replacing regular Quicktime with Quicktime Light. Situation solved for those affected.
CS2014
[Post New]
The old adage that came to my mind was 'Better safe than sorry' - if we're going to talk about old adages.

But more importantly, I've stated the obvious so it's really up to the OP to decide what they want to do. And I've clogged up the thread enough with trying to reason with... ah.. nm.... lol

take care follks,

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think we can close off this thread now! Basically, if you're having problems and QT is causing them, to paraphrase Clint Eastwood: "go ahead, make the change". If not, Nooooooo problems!
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Quote Install QT LITE... NOT regular QT... (as has been suggested)if you want to try to avoid security issues.

CS

Again, I say, I haven't had any problems with Quicktime! I've seen Apple throw a couple of prompts my way on occasions, and an update for Quicktime may have been among them, but I've just clicked "quit" and not bothered with them.

I don't see any point in uninstalling the regular version of Quicktime and going for the "unleaded" version(ha-ha), if I've not experienced problems with the regular version. Those "security issues" simply haven't shown up! I'll add this: Barry, Quicktime may be on my computer but I don't use it to play back any clips(unless they may be really old stuff I want to review, and that's a rare occasion). But I have other options to review old QT stuff anyway. So the QT icon(and the software it links to) can happily sit on my computer.... It's not causing any detrimental effects at all! If at any time it does, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it!

Gentlemen, a reminder, this is MDelima's thread about problems with MOV files. Let's stick to the topic in question and not take over the thread with a side issue

Let's wait and see if he/she needs further information on QT lite.

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 13. 2017 11:11

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,