Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDirector 15 still uses the Intel Integrated Graphics instead of NVIDIA
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Oct 23, 2012 11:48 Messages: 167 Offline
[Post New]
As the title says, PowerDirector 15 refuses to use the Nvidia graphic card and always uses the Intel Graphics. I built a system with an Intel i7-3610QM CPU and an NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB. The graphics processor option sis greyed out in the Nvidia Control Panel and lists PowerDirector with the Integrated Graphics. The only solution I have is either to disable the Integrated Graphics in the BIOS or to temporarily disable the Intel Graphics in the Device Manager to force PowerDirector to launch with the Nvidia card and then enable the Intel Graphics card again. I believe this issue was also present with PowerDirector 14 and as far as I know, this is an nvidia issue rather than a PowerDirector issue, but this should be addressed as soon as possible. Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
Secondary Machine: Lenovo Y510p, Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4Ghz, 2x nVidia GT750M, 500GB SSHD, Windows 10 Education
visit http://moisescardona.video
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Sounds like you are trying to apply laptop "Switchable Graphics" type capability on your mini MB desktop, correct? Won't work to my knowledge, with any version of PD. A few third products to do such were available but not compatible with PD that I know of. If one wants to switch between his Intel HDxxxx GPU and a discrete GPU like the GTX1060 for PD editing one would have to do it manually, i.e. cable switch or HDMI switch box or the like. I've used a HDMI switch box for years as cable swap was a hassle for me. Can be a little tricky to setup properly in Windows but does work. I primary only switch to address forum questions but for certain encoding the HDxxx is a very nice feature.

You will also see a few others on this forum that have adapted the switch box approach too.

Jeff
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
[Post New]
Actually, I can use both cards. The issue is that the Nvidia Control Panel is not telling Powerdirector 15 to use the Nvidia graphics card. My setup in order to use both graphics cards is by using one monitor plugged into the Nvidia card and another monitor connected in the integrated graphics output. Other softwares can use either card I specify, but PowerDirector would not.

I found the original PDR 14 topic regarding this, and unfortunately it is still here in PDR 15:
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25/46836.page Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
Secondary Machine: Lenovo Y510p, Intel i7-4700MQ 2.4Ghz, 2x nVidia GT750M, 500GB SSHD, Windows 10 Education
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
The way I suggested you "use" both cards simultaneously as well, however you can "use" which one you want with PD as it is primary display. Of course having a monitor plugged into each results in a simple display, both are always active GPU's capable of display unless you disable one.

Good Luck

Jeff
[Post New]
When you're running the integrated graphics, does PD 15 run slow?

I'm trying to diagnose why PD 15 is laggy. I am running a GTX 1060 graphics card as well. I see PD 15 in the NVIDIA Control Panel under 'Manage 3D settings' > 'Program Settings'. Can you please explain how you determine if it's using the internal Intel graphics as opposed to the NVIDIA card?

Thanks.

My thread...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49540.page
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: When you're running the integrated graphics, does PD 15 run slow?

I'm trying to diagnose why PD 15 is laggy. I am running a GTX 1060 graphics card as well. I see PD 15 in the NVIDIA Control Panel under 'Manage 3D settings' > 'Program Settings'. Can you please explain how you determine if it's using the internal Intel graphics as opposed to the NVIDIA card?

Thanks.

My thread...
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49540.page

Easiest way is to look at the non techie comment here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/47907.page#250514 I also supplied a pertinent pic of options. Many other methods as well.

Jeff
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I have a desktop pc with 2 different monitors. One connected by dvi, the other with hdmi from a discrete video card. There was no need to use or enable the integrated graphics at all on the intel cpu.

That GTX 1060 should work the same way.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I have a desktop pc with 2 different monitors. One connected by dvi, the other with hdmi from a discrete video card. There was no need to use or enable the integrated graphics at all on the intel cpu.

That GTX 1060 should work the same way.

Well, of course. The GTX1060 can easily support 3+ monitors. I guess I misunderstood the OP then, I interpreted it as an easy way to take advantage of the unique features of both GPU's with PD, not just the simple functionality of a dumb display.

Jeff
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, I know that I could use the nvidia card exclusively and deactivate the Integrated Graphics, but then I loose the OpenCL functionality of that card, so that's the reason I have one monitor connected in each card. Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Yeah, I know that I could use the nvidia card exclusively and deactivate the Integrated Graphics, but then I loose the OpenCL functionality of that card, so that's the reason I have one monitor connected in each card.

Have never attempted that approach, one can easily have the HD4000 main and have the GTX1060 assist with OpenCL (I've shown that many times in forum posts with other Nvidia GPU's) but I'm not seeing a way to do the opposite which you want. Namely GTX1060 prime editing GPU with HD4000 assisting with OpenCL.

One must have a huge part of the timeline with FX for OpenCL on a secondary GPU (HD4000) to be encoding "beneficial" other than just interesting, especially with a GTX1060. I could maybe understand intent with two on par GPU's.

Sorry, I don't see the practical benefit of any encode performance or playback advantage anyplace. Hope you figure something out for your advantage.

Jeff
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
[Post New]
Sorry for the confusion. I'm not using the Intel Graphics for video editing. What I meant with the OpenCL thing is that I don't have the Intel Graphics disabled because I have other softwares that can benefit from both cards at the same time. I never saw PowerDirector using both cards in what it claims it have Multi-GPGPU acceleration. However, that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that I have to disable temporarily the intel graphics just to launch PowerDirector so it "switches" to Nvidia, and then I enable it again to have it available for other stuff Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Sorry for the confusion. I'm not using the Intel Graphics for video editing. What I meant with the OpenCL thing is that I don't have the Intel Graphics disabled because I have other softwares that can benefit from both cards at the same time. I never saw PowerDirector using both cards in what it claims it have Multi-GPGPU acceleration. However, that doesn't bother me. What does bother me is that I have to disable temporarily the intel graphics just to launch PowerDirector so it "switches" to Nvidia, and then I enable it again to have it available for other stuff

Thanks, that cleans intent up a bit.

Overall that's pretty similar to my use of HDMI switch box as I only have a single monitor and simple want to switch between GPU's so I can use both GPU's discretely with PD. I do not have to disable anything, BIOS or device manager.

Just a few guesses, I would have to hook up second monitor for any real validation. I assume your HD4000 must be your main display? What happens if you change your main display to the GTX1060 prior to launching PD? Does your BIOS allow a initial graphics control, if so, what's it set at?

As a side note, I also attached a pic of a HD4000 and a older GTX580 working together with a older version of PD, PD12 to be exact, so it can work. In this case the GTX580 is only assisting with OpenCL effect load.

Jeff
[Thumb - GPU_load_encoding.png]
 Filename
GPU_load_encoding.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
537 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
247 time(s)
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
[Post New]
nice, thanks for the pic. I have to take a look in mine.

Basically the BIOS is setup with the HD4000 as Primary, because otherwise the card would have the yellow triangle and it would not work at all.

The BIOS have the following options:
Primary Display: iGFX/PEG. I have it setup to iGFX
Integrated Graphics: Auto/Enabled/Disabled. I have it in Enabled

When I launch PDR15 without disabling the HD4000, it will use the HD4000 to edit and produce, having the Intel Quick Sync option. If I disable the card and load PDR15, it will switch to the Nvidia card, and I can then use the NVENC encoder allowing me to produce HEVC videos using the hardware encoder.

Basically what PDR15 needs is an option in the software that lets me choose what video card to use instead of it automatically choosing the card. Other softwares, especially video players allows me to choose either to use Quick Sync or NVEnc for video decoding... PDR15 will just choose Intel if it is enabled automatically. Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Basically what PDR15 needs is an option in the software that lets me choose what video card to use instead of it automatically choosing the card. Other softwares, especially video players allows me to choose either to use Quick Sync or NVEnc for video decoding... PDR15 will just choose Intel if it is enabled automatically.

I realize, however, I've actually seen very little improvements in PD over the years to core ability with anomaly in features so the only option is typically work within the framework provided and see if a workaround is suitable. From when I played with it back at PD12 I thought PD used what was defined as primary display as the GPU in use when PD was launched, also appears to mimic your situation. That's essentially how my switch works, allows either the iGPU or dGPU to be the primary. So my iGPU is always enabled but PD won't use it automatically, only when it is the primary display.

Did you try my guess of making the GTX1060 prime display after boot?

Jeff
moisesmcardona [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, already tried that. It results in having activated the Integrated graphics but in a non-working state. Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
[Post New]
I don't understand the issue. OP wants to use the OpenCL with intel's GPU? Why not using the GTX1060 for that?

The NVENC part (decoding/encoding videos) is totally separated from the GPU cores, so it is not affecting at all OpenCL functionality.

[Thumb - OpenCL.JPG]
 Filename
OpenCL.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
nvidia OpenCL
 Filesize
64 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2634 time(s)

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Sep 17. 2016 10:52

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
SoNic67 – I believe than the newer Intel drivers support OpenCL2.0 while the Nvidia cuda support is only 1.1 or 1.2 as you have shown. AMD cards support 2.0.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 17. 2016 11:01

[Post New]
And the problem is...? PD doesn't need 2.0, it works fine with 1.2. Unless somebody can point to an FX that cannot run in nvidia OpenCL because is not 2.0? Cyberlink OpenCL wrapper says "Copyright 2011". Wonder if they changed anything since then.

And that's anyway too much worry, because openCL it is needed only for some FX's. I thinkl that some of the FX can even use CUDA directly.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Sep 17. 2016 13:38

moisesmcardona [Avatar]
[Post New]
No, what I mean is that in order to use the Nvidia card I have to disable the Intel graphics as the switching setting in Nvidia control panel doesn't work. Main Machine: Jetway NF9G-QM77, Intel i7-3610QM, Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 3GB, 128gb SSD, Windows 10 Pro
[Post New]
I am confused...

I thought that you worry about loosing Intel OpenCL.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2017 03:46