Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Performance issues PDR14 after upgrade to WIN10
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
After the upgrade to win10 I experience performance issues when I'm in edit mode.

E.g, if I select 5 images and choose to change the duration from 5 to 4 sec it takes up to several seconds before I can proceed - or if I'm in a video clip select 'split the selected clip' and click delete on the the part that is not to be used, it takes a very, very long time before the deletion is complete and I can continue the project.

Also, when returning to edit mode after produce it happens that the screen isn't updated compleatly immediately - have to scroll up and down a couple of times.

I'm sure it can't be caused by the build 2820 it was installed already 2016-05-16.

I don't have the GeForce Experience installed.

I hope one of you tecnical smart guys can help me out af this situation because it's not funny / happy editing.

Regards, Anja
 Filename
2016-08-19 DxDiag Føniks ASUS.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
69 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
367 time(s)
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja,
If you scroll to the the very end of the diagnostic text file you will see a lot of Windows error messages. These indicate you have a few issues with your computer that should be addressed. They're in Danish for the most part. Looks like you have had update failures and these include Windows defender, StoreAgent (what ever that is).

I also notice your graphic driver is a year old.

When was the last time your computer was running ok? If you can recall why not go back with a restore point?

Just my opinion, you need to have someone give you "hands on" tech support and look at your computer.

Dafydd
Anja the Dane
Contributor Location: Denmark (North of Copenhagen) Joined: Mar 03, 2011 15:02 Messages: 347 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dafydd,

Exept from the PDR edit issue mentioned I find my computer is running ok.

I havn't used PDR since win7 - This was the first time I tried to make video / slide show editing after upgrade to win10.

Though, I had a Windows issue after an win update, 2016-08-10, after the update the Windows wouldn't start (a BSOD someone called it) - black screen. An Insider guy at Microsoft Community helped me to generate a Windows Media on a USB. When started I went back to the oldest restore point.

I just tried to updat the Nvidia driver but I got the message: There was a problem when Windows installed the driver software for your device.

So, yes even if I think my computer is running ok - You might be rigt in saying: "you need to have someone give you "hands on" tech support and look at your computer."

Thanks anyway Dafydd - have a nice day

Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Though, I had a Windows issue after an win update, 2016-08-10, after the update the Windows wouldn't start (a BSOD someone called it) - black screen. An Insider guy at Microsoft Community helped me to generate a Windows Media on a USB. When started I went back to the oldest restore point.

I just tried to updat the Nvidia driver but I got the message: There was a problem when Windows installed the driver software for your device.

You should be able to install a newer driver for the graphics card if you want. This would point to the win 10 upgrade not performed properly. Your win 10 may need a reset. PD14 would need to be reinstalled along with all of your programs. Maybe you can get away with just a reinstall of PD14 but that won’t solve your nvidia driver update problem. Need to backup all your important files and folders like photos and documents first.

Here is a link to Asus topic on win 10 reset: http://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1013063/ . You are right to seek answers in other forums. You probably already visited the Asus Danish website for the same info: https://www.asus.com/dk/ .

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 22. 2016 12:23

Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Hi tomasc,

Thanks for your reply and the links.

I tried to run repair Windows a couple of times and still I cant instal the Nvidia driver and still have the issues with PDR.

Therefore, I too think I must reset win 10 - then think of a lot of bad / ugly words ... quite many programs that have to be installed again.

At least it's only some PDR files at the C-drive that I will have to backup e.g the ini-files from PDR13+14 - Am I right?
or will there be others I need to back up?

I only use the C-drive (a SSD) for Windows and programs that can't be installed on other drives.

I have mapped / linked / changed the placement for the windows floders Images, Documents, Music and Videoes to the E-drive o I think I don't have to backup of these folders?

Well it's bedtime here - god night!

Anja PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I tried to run repair Windows a couple of times and still I cant instal the Nvidia driver and still have the issues with PDR.

Therefore, I too think I must reset win 10 - then think of a lot of bad / ugly words ... quite many programs that have to be installed again.
Reinstal of all the programs only need to be done once after the reset.

Quote: At least it's only some PDR files at the C-drive that I will have to backup e.g the ini-files from PDR13+14 - Am I right?
or will there be others I need to back up?
I have never backed up any ini files for a reinstallation. Let windows create them.

Quote: I only use the C-drive (a SSD) for Windows and programs that can't be installed on other drives.
Same here. I created the program files and the program files(x86) folders on the hard drive to install all allowed programs. This is my method that works and not found on an internet search. My PD14 is installed on the ssd because I have the space.

Quote: I have mapped / linked / changed the placement for the windows floders Images, Documents, Music and Videoes to the E-drive o I think I don't have to backup of these folders?
See this link for win 7. I changed all the user locations using this method: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/17349-63-moving-user-directory . This works out for me. There are other methods such as the junction method brought up by optodata and still other methods that are said to cause problems in later win os. Just read the article.

Good luck on your win 10 reset and reinstallation.
Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Hello again,

To reset the Windows 10 is one of the worst I've been doing on my PC. yell

The only positive thing that has come out of it is that I have been able to update the nvidia driver.
Although I run jubilee update the driver has not been rolled back like Tony said in another thread that his had been.

I'm still working to get installed my required applications. Hard work.

And (sealedswear words sealedembarassed) it has not solved the PDR performance issues.

It still takes several seconds to delete the part of a splitted video clip and it still takes several seconds of waiting when I change the duration of one or more images.

I wonder if it might be due to the project size or some of the editing stuff I've already made - although it seems unlikely because I have already had major projects with much more editing without it has caused problems.

The project has 606 files of which only 9 are video clips. The video clips have a total duration of 11 minutes.

At present there has been no heavy editing - there is added fade transition in less of a third of the project, added text boxes some of them made with NewBlue and added 15 photos in lower/higher track.

All video clips have been edited and produced in another project before being imported into this project.

Until now I only used Magic Motion on 23 images.

I owe to mention that I created a new project with all the 606 files included in the troubled project (I did no editing as MM, text and additional tracks) - here there is no performance problems by simply duration change and delete.

As usual, I enclose Dxdiag, which I do not understand much of. But maybe there is one of you can see if problems are caused by something other than PDR.

ha, ha crysurprised while I write this, I went into the project to find out the name of text plugin (NewBlue) ... and now Text room shows thumbnail images from the project or nothing. To shut down and restart PDR got the right thumbnails back.

What on earth is happening here?

Cheers, Anja
 Filename
2016-08-30 DxDiag Føniks ASUS.txt
[Disk]
 Description
DxDiag
 Filesize
73 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
315 time(s)
[Thumb - thumbnails_wrong02.JPG]
 Filename
thumbnails_wrong02.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Thumbnails in TextRoom
 Filesize
48 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Some of your problems may not be caused an upgrade to win 10. Those video clips should present no problems if they are HD. If they are 4k then you need shadow files enabled. I seem to remember that 16MP images can cause some issues so I resize those to about 2000 pixels wide. Of course you can’t do that if the images are panoramas in which you zoom in on a small portion with MM.

The Title/General room show incorrect thumbnails. That can be cause by the video driver in which the screen did not refresh often enough. It is part of hardware acceleration. You can easily fix that yourself by minimizing the PD14 screen and then restore it or hit the F5 key to force a refresh of the PD14 screen. I remember these problems over the years but haven’t seen them lately as I constantly update my video drivers.

I know that you have an excellent video card. Try this to see if it helps. In Preferences /Hardware acceleration uncheck both checkboxes to see if helps the responsiveness while editing. If it does then re-enable one checkbox at a time to see if it makes a difference.

I believe that to use NewBlue that you have to highlight it and hit modify. Again you may have the screen refresh problem. Simply minimize the screen and then restore it.

Let us know if any of this helps. There are users in this forum that uses win 10 and the GTX 970 video card. Maybe they can shed more light on this.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 31. 2016 18:44

tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
See this link and the thread by garioch7 about uninstalling the Geforce experience and the win 10 Aniversary uodate: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/49427.page . I notice that your video driver is not the 8/30/2016 one.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Aug 31. 2016 18:54

Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Hi tomasc,

I also had this performance issue in Win10 before the Anniversary Update.

I have read the post your are refering to.

I don't have GEForce Experience installed.
I didn't install it after turning to Win10. As mentioned earlier my driver is updated and haven't been rolled back.

Just updated nvidia to day. Release Date Tue Aug 30, 2016 - Version 372.70 - WHQL

Opened the project it seem that delete and changing duration now are approx 1 sec faster than before, so it's better but not perfect.
The thing is too when I make these things and there is waiting time, I doubt whether I have hit the keys or not.

Cheers, Anja
[Thumb - opdat driver 160901.jpg]
 Filename
opdat driver 160901.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
driver date / version
 Filesize
62 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
40 time(s)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I had duplicated the problem you described using a mov 2k video file and ten 16 MP still images on the timeline when trimming the mov clip but not with changing the 5 still image duration. I closed PD, answered a few questions on this forum. Opened PD and imported the same material and there no noticeable lag in trimming the mov clip. Try this: Click on the timeline ruler and check View the entire movie. Then zoom in like you want. That seem to have fixed it here for now.

You never said what the resolution and format are your video files and the resolution and type of images. Large images can slow down the response of the scrubber.
Anja the Dane
[Post New]
My pictures are respectively 4896x2752 and 5184x2920 most of them are the smallest format.
I enclose Media Info for a video.

It is actually the same sizes and formats I've used for a long time without problems during Win7

Although I've tried to do the same as you I do not get the same good resultet.

I have divided the project into 6 subprojects to see if it could help, but it does not.

I have also noticed that when I save projects the message box and shows 100% for a very long time.

I think I will have to uninstall PDR and install it onto SSD like you have.

In connection with this, I have some questions, but it comes in a new thread.
 Filename
MediaInfo_video_01.txt
[Disk]
 Description
Media info for video
 Filesize
3 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
296 time(s)
Anja the Dane
[Post New]
Forgot, yesterday, to tell that when I open the subprojects it is only in the first two projects the thumb nails are shown in the media library.
It did not help to close and open the subproject. (repeatedly).

I have therefore today used 'Pack Projekct Materials' at all subprojects to each their folder and when I open the subproject from the 'packed' folder everything is as it should.

And more interesting - There are no immediate long wait by changing the duration and deletion.

I think it's strange - I can not believe that there is apparently 'Pack Pro ...' which fixed my problem. At least in the case of the subprojects.

After this observation, I tried the same with the original project, with the result that split-delete works ok but changing the duration still takes a long time.

Therefore I choose no uninstall and install.

The next hurdle is then to gather all the material again.

Just for information my nvidea driver is still the same, Driver Version: 21.21.13.7270. PDR 14.0.4207.0 / Windows 10 64-bit / Asus / Intel i7-4790 3.60 GHz / 16GB RAM / NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 / DirectX 12
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Anja,
Thanks for the update .
Dafydd