Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Creating Custom WMV Profiles in PD14
Canonman5D3 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: UK Joined: Jun 26, 2016 14:17 Messages: 17 Offline
[Post New]
I am very new to PowerDirector, and have searched for a method to generate custom wmv profiles. I found something for older versions, but it didn't seem to apply to 14 (PD Toots). Sorry if that sounds a bit lame but I did say I was new

Could somebody also explain to me whether the structure of the wmv container, and the way it is handled by PD. allows a trade off between resulution and quality. For example can you do a 640 x480 wmv file at 1Mbps, but also a 1920x1080 file at less quality?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
There are some already created,

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/45598.page

The wmv encoder is found here:

http://www.videohelp.com/software/Windows-Media-Encoder

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2016 09:58

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Canonman5D3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for that Carl, but I was trying to understand how a PRX file is created in the first place.
J
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks for that Carl, but I was trying to understand how a PRX file is created in the first place.
J

Why?

A PRX file is just a profile, a template an instruction to carry out an action - to create a wmv video from the media you have placed in PDR's tracks.

PRX (wmv profile template) files can be edited (and saved to a new file name etc) in an xml editor, that's the way I now create them if I need to, I don't bother installing the encoder software.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2016 04:37

Canonman5D3 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I understand that and have viewed some in notpad. What I am having trouble understanding is how you can create a VALID prx file. So for example it is plainly possible to make a 640 x 480 @ 1mbps profile which will work well. What happens if I try to make a 1920x1080 @ 1mbps? Will PD crash, will it do it or will PD fail to recognise the file?
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Canonman5D3 -

No - it won't crash PDR or have any adverse effect (aside from video quality).

There are a couple attached if you'd like to test them. They go in C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector14\Language\Enu\Profiles

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
WMV 9 1920x1080 1Mbps -NTSC.prx
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
332 time(s)
 Filename
WMV 9 1920x1080 1Mbps -PAL.prx
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
6 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
317 time(s)

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!