Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transition problems
johnchapple [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 26, 2016 09:18 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, I'm new to Power Director. Can anyone tell me why my 'produced' project flickers black on playback every time it fades into another scene. I have produced five three minute videos and each one the same thing. is there a cure?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 05. 2016 16:48

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John -

There are quite a few variants of each transition & it's difficult to know what might be causing the flicker/black without seeing the timeline.

Transitions can be Cross or Overlap type. They can be used as prefix or postfix. So - how you've applied the transition will affect its behaviour.

Perhaps you've dropped in a transition at the start/end of a clip (like the last screenshot). That would result in a transition to or from black.

If you post a screenshot, we'd probably be able to work out what's happening.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, I'm new to Power Director. Can anyone tell me why my 'produced' project flickers black on playback every time it fades into another scene. I have produced five three minute videos and each one the same thing. is there a cure?

Assuming that you have no editing errors in your timeline, and not knowing what pref and encoding format settings you used, I'd probably simply try this:
1) In pref > Hardware Acceleration, make sure both items are unchecked
2) on the 'Produce" tab, make sure nothing is selected in the "Fast video rendering technology" section for the particular produce format you are using
3) produce and playback again and see if flicker issue remains

If the above does not remedy the flicker, then Tony's suggestion of more details about exact timeline may lead to a solutionl.

Jeff
johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi. How do I put a screenshot on here?
johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's an attachment of the screenshot
[Thumb - SnapShot.jpg]
 Filename
SnapShot.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
99 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
65 time(s)
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
Left click on one of the transitions on the timeline, then click on the "modify" button. It will let you choose cross or overlap.

You might also want to check the end time of each clip and the start time of the next clip...sometimes there's a frame or two of space between them that you can't see on a normal view. Just hover the mouse over the clip to see those times. Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have tried all the suggestions but the problem persists.Could it be because I'm using it on a 32bit computer? never had any problems with other editing programs................It's Strange!

Here's a link to a video I put on youtube, it has the 'glitches' before and after each transition.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsEtZgPW10

I want to edit a one hour video soon but won't be doing it with power director by the looks of it. God knows what it will turn out like.......glitches everywhere! having waited the best part of a day for it to render.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 07. 2016 14:12

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi John -

No link?

It looks from your timeline as if you're using Cross type transitions, and they certainly should not be flickering to black unless there's something else in the timeline causing the issue.

Did any of the suggestions above help?

Have you tried removing & replacing transitions to see if it corrects the problem?

Cheers - Tony
johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

Sorry for no link, can't work out how to do it, it's not copy and paste!!! the link to youtube is there but you will have to copy and paste it yourself.

anyway, I have tried replacing them to no avail, tried everything suggested on the forum but still the problem persists even on other transitions. It's so frustrating!

John

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 07. 2016 14:59

ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi John -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsEtZgPW10 would have worked OK, though the video is unavailable anyway.

It's nothing to do with using a 32-bit OS... but it sure is a frustrating thing if you've tried everything above & it's still not working properly.

What happens when you open a new project, import a few of the same clips & images, add the same transitions and produce to the same format/profile? Does the issue persist? or is it only occurring in that particular project?

Cheers - Tony
johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Tony. I have tried several 'new projects' using the same clips but shorter to bring the producing time down, but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Cheers

John

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2016 06:53

johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MbsEtZgPWI0

Try this link!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 08. 2016 06:54

johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have noticed that there are 'black' frames at the begining and end of each transition when I scroll through the 'Produced' project.

John
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have noticed that there are 'black' frames at the begining and end of each transition when I scroll through the 'Produced' project.

Just to verify, you have Produced without SVRT, correct?

Other users have also had the black frames with some footage and SVRT, as here http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/23191.page#124645 Item 3 by GerryV.

If full CPU encoding (nothing checked in pref > Hardware Acceleration and "Fast video rendering:" unchecked in Produce screen) does not yield good results then I'd probably consider converting your source footage with like free utility Handbrake and using this converted footage within PD and see that yields acceptable transitions for you.

If you have a google drive or any form of share capability, if you post a few small source clips and a pds project with your transition issue of these clips several editors would probably have a look and see if they can find a workaround solution if the issue repeats for them.

Jeff
johnchapple [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Jeff,

Seems a long way round a problem that I should not be having!!!!

I have used several editing suites over the years and this is the first time I've encountered a problem like this. It feels like this horse fell at the first hurdle!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 09. 2016 15:36

Ainsley&Joe [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 26, 2017 14:08 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hi, I'm new to Power Director. Can anyone tell me why my 'produced' project flickers black on playback every time it fades into another scene. I have produced five three minute videos and each one the same thing. is there a cure?

We have been having this same issue! It faintly changes the contrast of the footage for every transition no matter the transition (even when it doesnt have a transition and just cuts from one clip to another) and all overlays like subtitles! We love powerdirector but our vlogs look terrible with all the wonky transitions! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uegUMiBk5KA&t=3039s (the 2 or 3 seconds of before and after every cut and when we add subtitles where the footage slightly changes contrast). We had considered even changing software because of it but we like Powerdirector.

I have been Producing with SVRT and after reading this thread I just turned it off. I will update whenever I produce an edit with alot of footage cuts and overlays and such!
Nicholas AvAUK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2018 07:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

Did this issuse ever get resoled. I appreciate the thread is 5 years old but I'm having a similar problem with transitions.

I have pd18.

I am using overlap transitions on 4k footage 30fps and in most (although not all) "fade" and "no transition" (which I use to blend sound between clips), no matter what length the transition is, at the end frame of the transition the contrast jumps up for one frame. The finished films then appears to have a flash at the end of the transition. This can also happen at the first frame of the transition although that is much less common. It does however affect more transitions than those that dont have an issue ie it happens more than it doesn't. It makes the finished film look rather amateur.

I have tried the tip of unchacking hardware accelleration and svrt etc and this helps a bit, sometimes.

I can produce the same film twice and these glitches will appear on different transitions on different finished films.

The timeline is fine and they do not show on there. Those transitions are smooth with no glitches.

Please help.

Thanks
Nicholas AvAUK [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 14, 2018 07:18 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I have been trying to solve this and think I have found a work-around. Well, it's working for me anyway.

I use a flat colour profile on filming with my camera (DJI Osmo Action) and so colour grade when editing. I regularly used about "25" on the edge enhancement as well as other colour grading.

I have found that by not using the edge enhancement (and using a bit more contrast instead which achieves almost the same thing) the glitches/jump in contrast frame does not occur on processing.

I hope this helps anyone else who experiences this issue.