Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
MIDI Audio Files - Ditched!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

In another thread, I mentioned that I had come across 40 MIDI audio files tucked away in the "clipart" folder for Microsoft Publisher(More accurately, Microsoft Office, CLIPART subfolder PUB60COR), well, after attempts to convert these files to MP3 proved fruitless as neither Roxio or Sound Forge would recognise the file type, I threw my arms in the air and coceded defeat. The folder that I'd copied those MIDI files to, had ben sent to the recycle bin, and from there, duly deleted. The MIDI files aren't lost though, they're still in the original PUB60COR folder where I first found them, but they've been proven useless to me if I can't use them directly in Power Director, or even convert them to MP3, WAV or WMA files for use. DAMN!

Cheers!

Neil.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Your MIDIs are probably the same ones I downloaded eons ago. Some are Ok. There is a link to a converter on my site.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 01. 2016 15:49

HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
This Forum..

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2016 15:43

BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
...is a mess sometimes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 01. 2016 15:44

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Barry!

Methinks you've been eating radishes again, you're repeating yourself.... repeating yourself.... repeating yourself.... smile

Seriously though, I wouldn't mind getting hold of this programme, is it a free download software?, Could you post the details in this thread, please?

Yes, I've noted you've managed to delete the repeated post, I wroye the above on a first attempt to reply, but it took seemingly forever to save, so I copy/pasted the text to a temporary word document in case I'd have to post it later.... you're quite right, this forum is a mess, sometimes. It's a wonder no-one's gone bald, tearing their hair out from frustration at the slowness of this site to load.

Cheers!

Neil.
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

MIDI files are not audio files. They are musical notation files. I like LMMS to replay them but it may take finding and downloading additional files to produce a specific result.

In fact, I haven't used LMMS for quite some time while I have a new computer. I will still need to migrate some of LMMS's additional files from my old computer to have it run the way I want it to…

Jirka
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Neil,

I use Windows Media player to play the MIDI files while recording with Audacity. You must be able to record from the Windows Stereo Mix.

How to enable Stereo Mix in Windows 7.

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/39532/how-to-enable-stereo-mix-in-windows-7-to-record-audio/

Nothing automatic about the process, you have to play each Midi file and save each recording in the audio file format you want.

I.E. WAV or MP3. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: MIDI files are not audio files. They are musical notation files.
I do remember something about the midi files. The same ones sound different on different pc's with different sound cards.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Forum Technical Issues: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/forums/show/154.page
Please post in the new forum when you have encountered problems.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 02. 2016 05:08

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Neil.F.1955,
Visit Barry's website. I'm sure you'll find the information you're after at that location.
Dafydd
Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: ...Visit Barry's website. I'm sure you'll find the information you're after...

Agreed.

Barry has compiled a great website with lots of info as well as links to cool and to free stuff which any PowerDirector would find useful.

http://bgillcyberstudio.com/index.html

So visit and take a look around. If you find it useful having all these resources complied together for you, then please take note of the DONATE button, and express your appreciation to the Crab, for all his efforts in attempting to help us fellow PowerDirector users.

__________________________________________________________________________________ Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello!

After what Jirka said, No offence Jirka, but I'm ready to just give up on these MIDI files and leave them resting in the PUB60COR subfolder of Microsoft Office(Publisher) Clipart folder. They're not worth all the extra hassle of chasing down a conversion software. Thanks anyway, Barry, but fingers have been burned on this one.

Neil.
Jirka.Bolech
Senior Member Location: Liberec, Czech Republic Joined: Aug 16, 2014 06:03 Messages: 158 Offline
[Post New]
I'd still like share some of my experience with midi files later…

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 03. 2016 01:30

TonyL [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Nr. Coventry, UK Joined: Oct 10, 2015 04:07 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
A Midi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) file is a set of instructions that can be interpreted by your sound card or ideally by a musical instrument with a midi interface.

At the simplest level each instruction tells the sound source what note to play and for how long. But they can contain other instructions, e.g, how hard to strike the note.

How a midi file sounds when played with Windows Media Player depends on (1) the quality of your PCs sound card and (2) the quality of the midi file.

If it's a known piece of music it is still copyright protected because someone composed it and published it. Anyone can create midi files. I would suggest you don't spend any time with them for video creation.

I have a Yamaha Tyros keyboard and make use of them on that.

TonyL
Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PD14
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: A Midi (Musical Instrument Digital Interface) file is a set of instructions that can be interpreted by your sound card or ideally by a musical instrument with a midi interface.
Or a Synthesizer. Which is also a way to generate midi files.

It takes a good musician to play and create Midi. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

TonyL [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Nr. Coventry, UK Joined: Oct 10, 2015 04:07 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
A slight correction if I may, Carl. It takes a good musician to play and create a good Midi.

And without the same sound source the music will not sound anything like the original. With the same sound source it's as if the player is playing it live as it is a digital copy of a performance but as a set of digital instructions, not a waveform.

Midi files have great uses. Most musicians use them as backing to their playing.

Don't waste your time with them for video music tracks.

TonyL

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 03. 2016 09:47

Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PD14
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: A slight correction if I may, Carl. It takes a good musician to play and create a good Midi.

And without the same sound source the music will not sound anything like the original. With the same sound source it's as if the player is playing it live as it is a digital copy of a performance but as a set of digital instructions, not a waveform.

Midi files have great uses. Most musicians use them as backing to their playing.

Don't waste your time with them for video music tracks.

TonyL
You are correct, the word is "good". There are lots of midi files on the internet, many are pretty poor music.

If I look for music for video, I just use what's available in Smart Sound free tracks that come with Powerdirector. It is too much problem for you to defend yourself to Youtube and their content search engine. The software that hunts your uploads, is pretty dumb, it never knows if music is Public Domain or Fair Use. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

TonyL [Avatar]
[Post New]
SmartSound has sales. I've purchased three of their albums for about US$30 each. The last one I bought, "Inspiring Beauty", was US$29 (GB£18/) and has 10 tracks. The current album price is US$99.95 or US$59.95 per track. So you can see the sale price is very good.

If you download the SonicFire Pro Trial you get 5 free tracks that can be used beyond the 21 day trial. As well as the tracks you can still use the free (though limited) version of SonicFire after the trial. http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/downloads/

TonyL

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Mar 04. 2016 03:27

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello, all!

A recap first, I found these MIDI files tucked away in the clipart folder for my Microsoft Publisher. I thought originally "What are these doing here?". As I got further into video editing, an idea struck me(the next time I browsed that clipart folder) "These might be okay for background music on some of my videos". So much for the recap.

Now I know the true nature of these audio clips, and the amount of bother I'd have getting them converted to usable files, I've decided (after a few more recent posts on this thread) they're not worth all the grief, so I ditched them(sent them, in the folder I copy/pasted to, to the Recycling Bin, then emptied it). Jirka, If youdiscuss this further, please don't include me. I have no further interest in MIDI.

Neil.
TonyL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Although not about the original topic (which I'm not going to mention) I felt it important to make the following points.

Further to my comments on SmartSound as I'd never used it in PD:

I've just checked it out in PD14 and I find that only 'Single Layer' tracks can be imported. For example "Inspiring Beauty" doesn't import into PD because it's multi-layer. So if you buy an album - only for use in PD - when there's a sale on, only select the 'Single Layer' category. It's very easy to add the tracks from the album to PD. Buying this way in much much more affordable than through PD. Once you buy from them you get an email when the the next sale is on.

Also, be aware that although an album has a given number of tracks, each track has a number of Variations. So in PD, the tracks are listed by song title on the left and the variations by icon on the right. So depending on the album you could for example get 10 tracks/songs with say 5 variations each (they do vary in number) - thus 50 pieces of music.

Please note I have no connection with SmartSound or CL. I'm just an ordinary punter.

A Request: Would someone with only the tracks/songs supplied with PD14 please PM me with the default list of the songs. My list includes songs I added checking out how it all works in PD. Thanks.

TonyL

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Mar 04. 2016 05:09