Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Moving Clips, Narrative and Text tracks Together on the Timeline Resolved
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Good morning All

I am sure I am missing something really obvious. I hope so! I am making quite a complicated video which has video clips, Voice Over Narrative and Text captions on different tracks. I am quite far on with it and I find that from time to time I need to go back and insert another clip or perhaps change the order of clips. I find that this causes choas further along the time line as everything goes out of sync. Is there any way to select all items on all tracks to the right of a particular point to enable you to make the alterations and then select them all again to pull them back into position?

I see that you can lock tracks. I have not experimented with that as I did not want to get in to more trouble.

Thank you

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 04. 2015 04:59

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The function of Lock track is to prevent any change to that locked track, you can lock multiple tracks. You can not change anything on a locked track.

There are also should be the selection to insert and move all tracks after the inserted media. That selection will keep all the media in sync behind the insert. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I did all the following in PD13 - but I do not 'think' its any different in PD14. Please correct me if I'm wrong - anyone?!?!

I think you can just select and highlight video clips and still images on the timeline and then drag them to the right or left or pretty much wherever you want them to go. I always get a message asking if I want to:

1. overwrite
2. insert
3. insert and move all clips to right
4. crossfade
5 replace

I usually use the move all clips to the right.

">

">

And then dragging ...
">

Is this what you are seeking? Transitions and whatever is highlighted moves in my example.

Narrative, now you will have to be quite AWARE that whatever you change by what I showed above. Anything 'downstream' narration-wise may have to be re-positioned if you want it to be keyed on a still or clip that the narration was originally positioned/keyed on.

CS

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Dec 01. 2015 12:40

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
LG WH14NS40 Blu-Ray Drive
collie581 [Avatar]
Member Location: Aberdeen Scotland Joined: Oct 21, 2015 11:43 Messages: 92 Offline
[Post New]
Carl yes I see that option when inserting a clip but when I just want to open up the time line to work on a section I want to change I can't just drag everything to the right, make my changes and drag everything back left to close it up.
CS2014 what you suggest is what I have been trying but it can be very difficult and time consuming trying to get the narrative and text captions back in the correct place. My narrative is broken up into multiple sections with silence in between (where the music will go).
Maybe I should group it? Would that keep everything together?

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Carl yes I see that option when inserting a clip but when I just want to open up the time line to work on a section I want to change I can't just drag everything to the right, make my changes and drag everything back left to close it up.
CS2014 what you suggest is what I have been trying but it can be very difficult and time consuming trying to get the narrative and text captions back in the correct place. My narrative is broken up into multiple sections with silence in between (where the music will go).
Maybe I should group it? Would that keep everything together?

Thanks
CS2014 gave a good answer and demo.

When you want to insert something in the middle of your project, if you select the Move all clips to the right, everthing past the insert point will stay in sync. You can also select and group all of you clips past the insert point and move them as one group (that's more work). Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

CS2014
Senior Contributor Location: USA-Eastern Time Zone Joined: Sep 16, 2014 16:44 Messages: 629 Offline
[Post New]
I can understand if you do not select/group all the things to the right that you want to mve at the same time. You can make that selection/grouping highlight big enough to include audio from the tracks below the main track 1 video. That would move most of the narrative - but I agree with you that THAT sort of move would 'mess up' the narrative right at the point of change.

When you say 'text captions' - are you talking about subtitles or Title pages that you created in the Title Designer - or something else?

I want to make sure you know that you can put your music on a different track than the narration too. I've 'layered' music and narration over top of music in the past. You do have to adjust the volumes of each track to get it just right but it can be accomplished.

So if I had music in track 2, narration could go in the aduuio track on tack 3 or 4 or 5... or.. whatever.

">

This sort of way does still 'mess up' the things that are right at the point of group/selecting - at the left hand side of the selection box. But it should move all that is to the right - together (if you choose that option when given the choice) - move if further than you have to sometimes helps you go grab that whole group later to 'bring it back' into place - if you know what I mean.

Hope this helps.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 01. 2015 15:29

PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
CS2014. Thank you I will have to try selecting the tracks the way you demonstrate. I did try but I must have been doing something wrong as I only managed to extend the selection box over one track. I will persevere with it tomorrow.
The text is to emphasise certain points that appear on some clips.
I also have a few video clips on a second video track that I use at times to overlay the primary track at various places.
Yes I will put the music on a separate track as the last thing I do.
What would be nice would be a way of splitting all tracks at the chosen insertion point with the right half highlighted to enable it to be pulled to the right and then any remaining gap after editing could be highlighted and deleted choosing the close all tracks option. Surely not too much to ask?
Thanks again
CS2014
[Post New]
It certainly sounds like not so much to ask for does it? I think I have a way for you to do this. Use your mouse and select the tracks you want to split - make sure to create the 'box' that will span over the stills, videos music and narrative - at the same time.

">

Then hit 'Split' - they should all split at the smae place in time.

">

">

">

A nice way to manipulate the timeline -

">

mouse* not moouse... sighs.. its in the picture or else I'd correct it. lol

Hope this helps.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
CS2014 That is brilliant! It would be worth doing a wee video demo for the tutorial database. I am sure I am not the only one looking for a way to do this.

By the way as a Scotsman "moouse" does it for me!

Thank you for taking the trouble to investigate this.
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
CS2014 I have just been playing around trying to replicate your method. Unfortunately after selecting all the tracks and hitting the split button it is only the clip that is split and focus is removed from the rest of the timeline so that you can't pull to the right. Could this be a change in PD 14?
Selecting via Ctrl+A has the same effect. I think this is what I found yesterday when I tried splitting the timeline.
CS2014
[Post New]
.....(sighs)...Dang! I am not sure if the issue of only being able to split on a single clip is a PD14 issue. As I've mentioned, I am working in PD13 - and all of the description above has been in PD13.

So you are saying that even though you select/box/highlight - vertically (up and down) over several tracks - 1, 2, 3, 4, etc.... It/you are only able to highlight track 1 - or a single item on a single track number? Do I understand you correctly?

If I do, you may need a 'real expert' to chime in here and see if there's something else inherent with PD14 or if this is a different issue.

I really do apologize if I've wasted your time as I thought I knew how to highlight and drag clips across the timeline and across tracks.

CS PD13 Ultimate - Build 3516, WIN 8.1, 64 Bit, 16G RAM, Intel Core i5 4460, CPU @ 3.2GHz, NVIDIA GeForce GT720, Graphics Memory(total avail.)-4093MB
collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
CS I can highlight all the tracks using the box method or I can use Control+A to select them all. It is when I try to split them that they become deselected and as a result I am not able to drag them to the right as shown on your screen shots. It splits the first clip and anything below it but it is only these clips that remain highlighted.
Don't apologise for wasting MY time. I appreciate the efforts you made. It would be interesting if someone else with PD 14 tried to use your method and see if it worked for them.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
Yes. The method described to you does work.

Another is to select and move the clips to the END of your project, do the shuffling of the area you wish to work on, then re-insert or move back the clips you moved to the end. I find PD does less damage this way as it's not perfect with cut and paste and copy functions.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 02. 2015 17:02

Win 10, i7
CS2014
[Post New]
collie - could you get a screen shot of what you are doing in PD and attache it in you next response?

There's a link in the 'main room'
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Follow Part E - for screen capture.

If you can capture an image of what is or is not happening - might make it a wee bit easier for me to understand what is happening.

Make sure that you position the timeline marker where you want to split all the tracks FIRST (refer to my last picture)! THEN you can group/box/select all the tracks that you want to split.

All the tracks that you want split - must be highlighted. ONLY those highlighted will be split. As long as the tracks are highlighted - I then hit "Split" and mine split in whatever tracks I have highlighted.

CS

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 02. 2015 15:18

collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
CS Thanks again for your help. I think I am doing exactly as you say! I am attempting to attach 3 screenshots. The first shows all the tracks selected. The second shows the situation after the split button is pressed and the third shows what happens if I try to move the split apart.

Regards
[Thumb - After Split.jpg]
 Filename
After Split.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
537 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
132 time(s)
[Thumb - Tracks selected.jpg]
 Filename
Tracks selected.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
545 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
128 time(s)
[Thumb - Attempt to move.jpg]
 Filename
Attempt to move.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
537 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
135 time(s)
CS2014
[Post New]
Ok,The split IS taking place... nice!

When you try to move the clips - Are you 'clicking' AND HOLDING DOWN (on the mouse button) on one of the highlighted areas AND THEN DRAGGING... just slightly to the right?

What I see (in your 'attempt to move' pic (looks like) - may be you clicking again - which is essentially 're-selecting' and that then wipes out the previous selection. You do not wna to re-select. Just click ONCE on to any of the previously highlighted selection and HOLD DOWN... and drag.

Then when the choice is given - insert or insert and move all clips... whatever you want.

Looking forward to your next repose.

CS

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 03. 2015 06:52

collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes That is exactly what I am doing! I realise that to do otherwise would change the selection.

What I have discovered this morning is that if I click on the timeline BEFORE I make the selection and then hover the cursor over the Split button the Message Prompt is "Split Timeline". However, when I hover over it after the tracks have been selected the message is "Split the Selected Clip" which is exactly what it does! Try it and see if you get the same messages.
CS2014
[Post New]
I get/got the same messages you get when you hover the cursor over the 'Split' 'button'.

When I select multiple tracks and hover over the split button - it says 'split the selected clip'. When I HIT/select 'split' - ALL the tracks that were highlighted are split.

It looks like you are accomplishing the split across all tracks... Good!

When you drag to the right are you choosing 'Insert and move all clips'?

When I do this I am noticing that all the clips on track 1 move to the end of what I had on track 2 - the clip that was on track 2 that got split. So its not moving to the end of ALL the clips on track 2 - but just to the end of the clip that was on track 2 that got split!.

DID YOU TRY... positioning your cursor (and dragging to the left or right) up to the left or right of the timeline marker???? This helps me shrink and expand the timeline and helps me when I want to group to the end of the project. THIS feature or 'trick' might help you grab all the 'stuff' and drag it back into place again.

CS

This message was edited 5 times. Last update was at Dec 03. 2015 13:21

collie581 [Avatar]
[Post New]
CS

Thanks I think I am now getting it to do what you do. At least I understand what is happening. The key is obviously to select all the items again to the right of the split after making the split. I tried it on my timeline which is quite large and made up of quite short clips. It works but is quite fiddly even with your trick of dragging the cursor along the timeline marker.

Probably the easiest way would be to temporally import a large clip, choose to insert and move all clips, delete it to leave a gap and then make the adjustments I want. I find the easy way to close up a gap is to select it and hit the delete button choosing to move all tracks.

CS I thank you for your patience. I am sorry to have used up your time on what I thought should be a simple matter with a simple solution.
CS2014
[Post New]
No... no ... no..... you didn't use up my time. I'm sorry I'm not more' expert' as there are so many in here that are. You 'got stuck' with the likes of me... a case of the 'blind leading the blind' perhaps?

I have been helped by some of the really smart and knowledgeable people in here and I try, in my feeble way, to help - when I think I may have a chance of resolving something simple. I tend to make mountains out of mole-hills though.. so.. lol

I'm sorry it took me so long to get you to THIS point!

I've enjoyed trying to help you - I just hope you can 'take off' with it and run - do what you wanted to originally do! Sometimes things in video editing, I am learning, - there's just no way around it - it's a DETAILED process! But if you persist, you get the hang of it!

IF THIS resolves your issue - you might consider going into the 'edit' up at the subject line and type in 'Resolved' in front of the subject - that way folks know that THIS issue had a solution - only if you are happy with the results though.

Selecting the gap and hitting 'delete' is a good one - just remember that THAT only deletes the gap on THAT particular track. And periodically 'save' your project so you don't lose an hours work - has saved me a few times.

Take care and happy editing!

CS

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Dec 03. 2015 16:48