Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Problems with Power Director 14
will_s [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 18, 2015 05:43 Messages: 66 Offline
[Post New]
The screen capture part of the program is such a resource hog........makes the games just about unplayable unless you turn all the advanced game features off........

I used ACTION for screen capture but with Win10 it just become unworkable.....and when it worked PD13 & 14 couldnt process the avi files. So have removed Win10 and put Win8.1 back on and now ACTION works...can do destop capture and game runs smoothly ( have it capped at 80fps and it gets that without problems ). With PD14 capture sometimes it goes to less then 25 frames and it looks jerky but with all the features turned of game runs at around 50fps but turning everything off makes it look not good.

I have now mananged to get the avi files captured in avi format to work with PD14......no stuttering and sound issues if I set ACTION at 30 FPS. Now if I make it 50FPS and I try to edit the program in PD14 it drops frames and is sort of jerky.

The only reason I upgraded to PD14 was because of the screen recprder and sadly it just doesnt cut the mustard. It consumes way to much resources and my PC is pretty strong.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, will_s!

Here we go agai, folks! Windows 10 is the culprit again! You've sorted your programme problems by going back from W10 to W8, will_s! This just proves it more and more conclusively that I'm right in staying with Windows 7. Seems Microsoft has "laid an egg" with W10... and the yoke's on them! Ha-ha!

Cheers!

Neil.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but in my case I've yet to find any serious effect on PD14. In fact, PD 14 seems a bit faster, not including rendering of course. Win 10, i7
will_s [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: I'm not a fan of Microsoft, but in my case I've yet to find any serious effect on PD14. In fact, PD 14 seems a bit faster, not including rendering of course.

I like Win10 but one of the things I like doing is screen capture and PD14 screen recorder in both win8 and win 10 I find to be a resource hog. So I use a different program called ACTION which under win10 they have been realeasing different versions because it just crashes and is unstable and thats the reason I went back to Win8.1. Actually I miss some of the things in win10 like when clicking on the file folder and seeing recent activity....its so easy to go to something recent

I guess the reason behind my post is to get peoples opinions on the Screen Recorder app in PD14 and to let Cyberlink know that its not a good capture program. I left out I have a ultra wide screen ( 3440x1440 ) but other programs work with it quite well. The game I use screen capture on is called a racing sim ... iRacing
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hi will_s

I agree with your observations about the screen recorder using lots of resources. You noticed it when your games slowed down and I saw my rendering time go way up when I was trying to record a transcoding app for a how-to video.

One thing I found is that the output format of the screen recorder can play a big role.

I believe the default is to use MP4 with the hardware video encoder, and you may find that you get better performance by unchecking the HVE option, or even trying the WMV setting. All are available from the Settings, then Advanced button.

On my machine, one setting used 70% of my CPU's resources, which really made the recorder unusable for recording any real-time process. Hopefully you'll get noticeably better performance by trying the other options.

One other alternative is to buy a standalone HDMI recorder like this one from *Amazon* It will cost you some money, but the advantage is you won't pay any performance penalty and will get full speed from your game. Unfortunately, that one only records up to 1080p and I didn't see any that clearly stated it could record at 3440x1440. If you're spread across 2-3 monitors, you could probably do it this way but it would be expensive

I'm assuming that Cyberlink will be able to tweak the SR code so that it's less resource hungry. It's a great thing to have and it makes capturing most activities really easy, but at this point it's not a good choice if you need full speed for your main app.

BTW, if you do go back to Win10 and ACTION has a stable release, there's a simple fix to get PD to work with AVI *files*

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
will_s [Avatar]
[Post New]
MS keeps trying to push the upgrade down my mouth......but its not going to happen for a while as Win8.1 is doing everything I want

Anyway glad to read the avi fix ...... had major problems and ended up having to record as MP4's but now as long as I keep the original to 30 fps PD works with it without dropping lots of frames

Just wish I had found this forum a lot earlier
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Try these *steps* if you want to hide or get rid of the update notice cool

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

will_s [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks.....actually that a window open with start the win 10 upgrade.....MS apologized and said it was an error

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Will_S!

Likely you have a little Windows icon sitting at bottom-right of your screen, near your clock, and when you move your curser to it, it says "Get Windows 10"? Yep, same here! Been on my computer for past few months(appeared somtime during June, I think). You can't miss it... It sits there, trying to tempt you in...... "C'mon! Install me! You know you want to.....!" To which I say to Microsoft: "Thanks but no thanks! I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7!"

Cheers!

Neil.
melvin [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2015 09:49 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I can't activate power director 14 to the server?
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Melvin, did you get a "CDKey" number?(assuming you were using an installation disc to install PD14). Anyone else able to offer advice here, please hop in.

Cheers!

Neil.
optodata
[Post New]
Hi melvin

I'll disagree with Neil as you have a completely different problem than is being discussed on this thread. The best thing for you to do is contact Cyberlink customer service. We have no access to any of their internal systems.

YouTube/optodata

melvin [Avatar]
[Post New]
Neil, I purchase PD14 at Best Buys The CDKEY was located on the installation disk. I shut down my fire wall, blockers and virus protection. I uninstalled the program and reinstalled numerous times and it still won't allow me to activate the program. It says I have 28 days left to use online. Somebody plz help me I like this program.
melvin [Avatar]
[Post New]
What does this message mean I can't connect PD14 to the internet. This is the message I get.

Cyberlink powerdirector was not activated because a connection to the activation server could not be established Check your internet connection and try again later.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I agree that you should start a new topic here. 28 days left to use tells me that you possibly still have the trial version insatalled. Try ininstalling the trial version first before installing the full version again. Sometimes 0 can look like o or 1 can look like l or 5 look like s when entering codes, etc.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
melvin - I see you posted as I was still typing. It can possibly mean that you can't access the internet. Check to see if you can browse the internet. It could also mean your antivirus software is blocking the activation server. Do you get any popup messages from your av or firewall.

One user in a different post had problems untill he uninstalled the av. I can't beleive any av would block without giving a popup information message. Apparently that might be so with McAfee but I still doubt it as I quit using that particular one a long time ago.
will_s [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Will_S!

Likely you have a little Windows icon sitting at bottom-right of your screen, near your clock, and when you move your curser to it, it says "Get Windows 10"? Yep, same here! Been on my computer for past few months(appeared somtime during June, I think). You can't miss it... It sits there, trying to tempt you in...... "C'mon! Install me! You know you want to.....!" To which I say to Microsoft: "Thanks but no thanks! I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7!"

Cheers!

Neil.

its the Window that opens ( last time when in gaming site )that says click to install windowsthat really annoys.....I have dragged that other annoying win10 icon to the hidden icons

One little annoying thing....when capturing at 30fps in ACTION and going to PD14 I get a frame rate conflict......something like it doesnt match with 29.974fps in preferences, now I can turn this off but I like to have it just in case I change something and forget to change it back but having it there for a .02 fps is annoying. Wouldnt even post this in a seperate question because its so mall an annoyance in the scheme of things but ...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 20. 2015 19:02

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Melvin!

By saying "The CDKEY was located on the installation disk", do you mean it was printed on the sleeve in which the disc was held, or was it in a sort-of "read-me" file? I'm yet to take delivery of PD14 Ultra and would like to know this myselfso I know what to watch for when I do get my installation package. In previous versions, the CDKey was printed on the sleeve which held the disc, typing it into the relevant place when you first open the programme after installation would then "activate" the programme and render it permanent, but I've heard some say the CDkey has to be downloaded from Cyberlink. This is what I'm trying to ascertain for myself, so that I may have a trouble-free installation. Like you, I don't want to be stuck with just a "trial" version.

Cheers!

Neil.
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Will_S!

Cheers!

Neil.

Hi Neil,

You can stop that annoying reminder and get back to normal Windows Update

Just click on this link: Unwanted Win7/Win8.1 upgrades to Win10 can now be stopped

Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello, AlS!

I don't think I'll worry about it. The Windows 10 icon at the botom-righ on my screen my well disappear of its on accord eventually anyway!

Cheers, Neil.