Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
saving multiple clips in a project to multiple files
hardya99 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 29, 2015 15:41 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
I have spent a very very long time editing a great number of short mov files into clips (removing bits here and there and at start and end - very tricky), together forming a presentation by my son who has a disability.

I helped him form these together with some other clips into his presentation.

Unfortunately he has had to go away and will not be able to use powerdirector on his system. I have given him all the raw mov files (very many) but the time, effort and exterity required to carefully clip each of these will be inordinate.

I wanted to run a production but rather than to one file, to one file for each clip. I cannot find a way to do this easily. I guess I could drag each clip in turn to another track, turn off the main track and do a full production for each clip in turn, but that is going to be SO laborious and time consuming as there are so many of them.

I had no idea that what they call clips in the project are actually in fact data items that just point to the original media file with a start and end time.

Can any one suggest a way to do this more easily.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
hardya99, it sound like maybe you're looking for the Produce Range feature. You don't need to make any changes to the timeline - just use the scrubber to highlight the clip(s) you want and then click on the Produce Range button just above the timeline.

You'll be taken automatically to the Produce tab, and once you choose the output format and file name, just click on Start and the output will only contain the clip(s) you highlighted.

It's still going to take time to highlight and produce each section, but you'll only need to change the output name when producing each successive clip. PD will remember your output settings for the entire session, and you'll only need to specify it again if you close PD.

UPDATE: Here's a *post* on Produce Range that may help explain how to do it.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2015 16:18

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
I read Hardya99s post a little differently. I may be wrong, but what I think he needs is the FILE - BATCH PRODUCE function.

You can use this if you still have the original .PDS files.

Go to FILE - BATCH PRODUCE click on the + sign and load the .PDS files. Then click on the pencil button and change the file format to Quicktime (.mov) and select the resolution you require. Also select output folder at top of Batch Produce screen

Not certain this what you need but maybe

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2015 16:36

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I read Hardya99s post a little differently. I may be wrong, but what I think he needs is the FILE - BATCH PRODUCE function.
That's definitely a good call if each clip has its own project. If all the clips are in a single project, or even in a few separate projects, then Produce Range is probably the way to go.

hardya99 please let us know if either of these ideas will help. If we missed something or if you have any further details, please pass them along!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

hardya99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
thanks optdata I think produce range, selecting one clip, producing that, then the next clip and so on is what I need.

However, I cannot see "produce range" button. Is it in the trial version? I am still reviewing the product before purchase (some bugs where pointer moves to end suddenly etc). Perhaps the button is not appearing because I am not hilighting the clip in the right way.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 29. 2015 20:04

optodata
[Post New]
I see that I didn't do a great job of describing the selection process, so here's a really quick video to show how it's done.

UPDATE: You'll need to view the video full screen to see the details. You may need to watch it directly on YT, which you can do by clicking *here*

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 29. 2015 20:25

YouTube/optodata

hardya99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks optdata. I have the hilighting and the button now, but if if hilight several clips, still only one file is produced. I guess the feature I really want does not exist. Is that right?

So I guess I will have to use you method but just hilight on clip at a time. However, I am not sure how to accurately (to the 'exact' start and finish times) hilight just one clip since it is done manually. Any ideas?

I that cannot be done I guess I'm back to what I said in my original post.

Quote: I guess I could drag each clip in turn to another track, turn off the main track and do a full production for each clip in turn, but that is going to be SO laborious and time consuming as there are so many of them.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 30. 2015 02:57

optodata
[Post New]
I think it would help to see a screenshot of your timeline. With PD running full screen, press Ctrl+Print Screen and then open Paint (or any other image viewer) and paste the image, then save it and attach it using the blue Attachments button under the text box on the forum.

It sounds like you have all the clips end-to-end on one track and you want to somehow produce all of them separately. Is that what you're trying to do? Is there a reason that your son can't work with one long video with all the clips?

You can have PD automatically create chapters but those will only work if you burn a DVD or Blu-Ray.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2015 03:09

YouTube/optodata

The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Are you sure that BATCH PRODUCE would not be suitable for this? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hardya99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: It sounds like you have all the clips end-to-end on one track and you want to somehow produce all of them separately. Is that what you're trying to do?

Yes.

Quote: Is there a reason that your son can't work with one long video with all the clips?

He's wants to / has been told that he has to do the whole thing himself from the begining for a course work. But the course work has nothing to do with assessing video editing skill! *Most of the time consuming and dexterity necessitating work has been in editing out 1 or 2 second bits of junk here and there in each of the very many mov files. Resulting in the very many tidier clips in the project. This is not the only project. I found it easier to do the work in chunks accross 4 or 5 projects.

If I could just give him all those clips as individual files then he could use them in his own editing software (powerdirector not available for mac). He would be sleceting, discarding, ordering and maybe shortening bits (most of the clips are him speaking without a paper), but given his course is not testing him on mouse control (he is dispraxic) he would be pretty much doing the important work himself without the hours of tedious careful clicking I went through (*).

I hope this makes some sense. If I could just find a way to more accurately hilight (for "produce range") just the exact length of a clip, that may help.

Image attached. The image includes in track 2 stuff I intended to move to another project.

Probably should raise a second post, but I'm considering buying this software, but I still can't quite get over one bug.

From time to time the time while playing (waiting to find a point for a split) the time line marker jumps to the end. I have tried reducing the monitor window resolution right down but it still happens. This also becomes very time consuming as you have keep on trying over and over until finally it doesn't do it on one play and you can pause at the point you want to split.
[Thumb - TimeLineExample.jpg]
 Filename
TimeLineExample.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Time Line Example
 Filesize
288 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
61 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2015 05:03

hardya99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Even if I click ON a clip then drag the scrubber to the end of the clip expecting the scrubber end point to be slightly inaccurate but the start to be right on the nail, I find that the production file includes a tiny tiny bit from the preceding clip. This is not the case if I click ON a clip a play to monitor.
The Shadowman
[Post New]
From time to time the time while playing (waiting to find a point for a split) the time line marker jumps to the end. I have tried reducing the monitor window resolution right down but it still happens. This also becomes very time consuming as you have keep on trying over and over until finally it doesn't do it on one play and you can pause at the point you want to split.

Can you right click on one of the clips, select "view properties" and tell us what it says about "video" Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hardya99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
see att'
[Thumb - VideoInfo.jpg]
 Filename
VideoInfo.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Video Info
 Filesize
54 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
51 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2015 05:53

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Even if I click ON a clip then drag the scrubber to the end of the clip expecting the scrubber end point to be slightly inaccurate but the start to be right on the nail, I find that the production file includes a tiny tiny bit from the preceding clip. This is not the case if I click ON a clip a play to monitor.

If you want to split a clip exacltly in the right place don't use the scrubber to mark it. Just use the scrubber to the very nearest point you can get to the split point and the use the "previous frame" or "next frame" button (they are under the clip and movie selector) click one of these slowly until you are exactly in the right place and then "split" Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
hardya99 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I think we are at cross purposes, I'm probably not explaining well. I am trying save one clip to a file. I am using product range to do this, so I have to use the scrubber according to optdata.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 30. 2015 05:56

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Use the scrubber to get to the approximate start, then the "previous frame" or "next frame" button to get to the exact point of start.

Then, while watching the preview screen, drag the right hand range handle to the exact point of finish.

This should work for you Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
[Post New]
Quote: I think we are at cross purposes, I'm probably not explaining well. I am trying save one clip to a file. I am using product range to do this, so I have to use the scrubber according to optdata.

You can mark the start and end position, Split or adding a marker (right clik the ruler / Add Timeline Marker)

It should also extends the timeline for accuracy, use the button Next Frame to skip frame by frame.

Note: Using time markers, selecting with yellow sliding slowly over the marker, it stops in the correct position, going right or left.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 01. 2015 16:44

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
The Shadowman
[Post New]

Thank you for the video information.

I notice from the timeline snapshot that you posted earlier that you are using shadow files. Are you letting all clips in your library complete, ie have a green flag, rather than a yellow one before starting to edit the clips. Failure to do this can cause manyfold problems.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jun 30. 2015 12:10

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
optodata
[Post New]
hardya99, I think I finally understand exactly what you're trying to do, and you're right, there's no easy way to get the selection scrubber exactly to the edge of a clip unless you expand the timeline as playsound suggested. Unfortunately, the next/previous frame buttons only work with the originating position of the scrubber, and if you drag the selection marker and then click any button on the preview window the selection is cleared

There is an easy way to precisely place the scrubber at the start of a clip (which is what you see when you play a clip in the preview window) but you'll still need to drag the selection marker to the other side by hand. To do this, simply select any clip by clicking directly on it in the timeline. Don't click on the time marks at the top.

You'll see that the scrubber is automatically placed at the exact start of each clip you select, so you'd then only need to manually align the selection marker to the end of each clip to roduce that range.

To be honest, your original idea may actually be the easiest because you can group-select each clip and the beginning and end point will always (and effortlessly) be perfect. I think you'd need to also place the clips at the beginning of the timeline on a lower track when you produce them.

I can think of two other approaches: PD isn't available for Mac but you should be able to install Parallels or BootCamp on your son's computer which would let him run any Windows program, including PD. That would be the quickest possible approach because you could just export the project and he could get started right away.

If that's not possible for any reason, I'd be happy to help with the drudgery of getting all the clips produced if you were willing to share the project with me (and anyone else who wants to volunteer). We could take different sections of the timeline and plow through it faster than you could on your own.

Think about which approach would work best, and let us know if we can help with the tedious part!

YouTube/optodata

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Unfortunately, the next/previous frame buttons only work with the originating position of the scrubber, and if you drag the selection marker and then click any button on the preview window the selection is cleared

optodata, Why would you want to press any button on the preview window if you intend to "render preview" or "produce range"

This method works perfectly well for me:

Use the scrubber to get to the approximate start, then the "previous frame" or "next frame" button to get to the exact point of start. Then, while watching the preview screen, drag the right hand range handle to the exact point of finish.

And then click "produce range" or whatever

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2019 08:30

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,