Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timelapse - camcorder file
Shark75 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 29, 2015 14:38 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I would like to create a timelapse video - are the following steps correct?

At first I record a FullHD movie at 1920x1080/50p (PAL), second step is to load the avi file in the timeline of PD13, then I go to the end at the clip, press CTRL, click on the movie and move the mouse in the left direction (more and more left has a consequence a shorter movie).

Then save the result and that's it - correct? Or is there any step which I forgot?

Are there any speed-up recommendations for a f.e. 30 minute clip (sunset)?

Thanks

Udo
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Udo

Correct me if I am wrong, but timelapse videos are made with several still photos taken every few seconds or minutes or whatever.

see the following article: http://www.hongkiat.com/blog/how-to-make-time-lapse-video-ultimate-guide/

Doing what you suggest creates a speeded up movie, but it's not true timelapse

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2015 16:32

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
I've played with timelapse using all sorts of capture methods but never tried it from video. The best results I've achieved were with my GoPro but I got very good results with a webcam and some freeware, "Yawcam" IIRC. If you are using a video input then you've got anywhere between about 25 - 60 frames being recorded each second whereas you only want one or two.

I've been looking at buying a new camera for a while now and when I eventually bite the bullet, timelapse capability will be one of the things I'll want to include. It'll probably be a still camera rather than a video camera but with 4K video capability as well. It's a long time since I've used any of my video cameras. I've got a SONY compact that I use all the time now and I slip it in my pocket whenever I go out. It gives me equally good results if not better than the last video camera I bought. Only thing it doesn't do that I wanrt is timelapse and perhaps a bit better optical zoom.

My take on timelapse is that you need hard/software specifically for it and it's impractical trying to do it from 'normal' video footage. Now I'll stand back and wait to be proved wrong smile
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Longedge

You are quite correct and a special camera is by far the best method. I use a Panasonic GH4 and it is superb. It does timelapse, stop motion and is, of course 4K.

Once you have photos, PD will create a timelapse video by placing the photos on the timeline and selecting a very short duration such as 1 frame per second

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 29. 2015 18:17

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Udo, Longedge & The Shadowman -

I'm not out to prove anyone wrong, right or indifferent. To shoot a proper timelapse or hyperlapse, you have to start out with that intention.

In this video, made a few years back, I only put the timelapse section in as an afterthought. Yes - I know, I know. That's not how it should be done... but I made it from a video file by taking snapshots (in PD) at regular intervals (every 10 seconds from memory).

You'll find a short example at 1:21 - I like the way it slips out of (fake) "timelapse" into normal motion (but I would say that).

https://youtu.be/zZbgvC_95rI

I've also done a similar thing with a sunset over Uluru, but it isn't anywhere you can see it. Just saying, it's possible.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tony,

First of all - great video! Wish I had the patience, inspiration, creativity and time to try a 'proper' video project. I spend all my spare time working out how things work and how to use software and when I get that far, I lose steam and push things to one side in favour of something else that has grabbed my interest undecided and when I'm not playing it seems everyone I know wants something doing that, "Well you know how to..". I love it really.

Quote: To shoot a proper timelapse or hyperlapse, you have to start out with that intention.

Absolutely agree and if I didn't put it like that, it was however my meaning. As for equipment and software, well how many ways are there to skin the proverbial...
Shark75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, you're right - it's not a true timelpase Video. Today I peformed a first SpeedUp test and here is the result:

http://youtu.be/koJH71a-9OQ

Sorry for the quality - I never uploaded a video on YouTube before and I don't know which settings I have to use in PD13. But I think it's an good example - 30 minutes recorded (1080p50) and SpeedUp to around 30 seconds.

Udo

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2015 10:56

The Shadowman
[Post New]
Great effect, Udo. Is the Rhine? Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Shark75 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes - Rhine ferry Gernsheim <-> Oppenheim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 31. 2015 11:00

Myk
Senior Member Location: The Hartland of Michigan Joined: Feb 05, 2015 16:09 Messages: 205 Offline
[Post New]
I made several time lapse videos while travelling in Arizona. I used my Android phone and the LapseIt app. Worked very well. .
Never, under any circumstances, combine a laxative and sleeping pill on the same night.

PowerSpec G310
ASRock Extreme 6 A85X
AMD A10 6800K Quad Core Processor 4.1GHz
16GB DDR3-1600 RAM
EVGA GTX960 Super OC GPU
Windows 7 Pro
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Here are two ways to get what you want:

Firstly: Use VLC player to extract thumbnails from you regular video

• Run VLC as admin
• Tools | Advanced Preferences | Filters > Tick ‘Scene Video Filter’
• Expand Filters & Select ‘Scene Filter’
• Paste thumbnails folder path into ‘Directory path prefix’
• Select proportion of frames to export in ‘Recording ratio’ (Type 12 to export 1 frame in 12)
• ‘Save’
• Media -> Open File
• Play entire video
• Retrieve thumbnails

Secondly, run your video thru free MS Hyperlapse tool downloaded from:
http://research.microsoft.com/en-us/um/redmond/projects/hyperlapseapps/
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Here's another relevant *thread*

There are several more if you search the forum for "timelapse"

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°