Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Power Director 13 Ultra won't play video from Panasonic GH3
Hammerhouse1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Tucson Joined: May 19, 2015 18:50 Messages: 12 Offline
[Post New]
I recently got a Panasonic GH3 camera for video.... when I put a video clip on the timeline it will play for about 20 seconds and stop showing a live review although the audio continues... it flashes white a few times and freezes the video. Using video from a Canon Mk2 works fine... I have a laptop with a i5 core and 8 gb of memory... is is an older i5. Is it the computer? The camera? I thought Power Director would be a nice and simple way to do editing... I have used Power Director for slideshows for a few years. Anybody know how I might be able mto fix this issue? Need to get a few clips edited ASAP! Thanks in advance for any help! Hammerhouse
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

I'm sure we will try and assist you.

If you attach a 5 second video sample file for members to test that would be useful. Giving them something to work with and know what you're editing/handling/selection is. A full diagnostic of your computer, Part B in the guide. A screenshot of the Edit Workspace with your project insitu, Part E & F. Also Part A info. Please provide all the requested information.

Guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/40225.page
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2015 06:03

GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
Found some samples here.

Panasonic Lumix GH3

If you are using the MOV format, make sure you have the latest Quicktime. These files loaded fine into PD13, but the sound seemed to be off slightly.

I downloaded 1080p - 60fps and 1080p - 30fps.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at May 20. 2015 10:32

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Hammerhouse1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
New to the Forum so be kind to a newbie.... I checked and I do have the latest version of Quicktime.... was hoping that was it.

I have attached a txt of the DxDiag64 text, a short video and a picture of the workspace.... The video fron the GH3 just won't play real time, and ends up freezing on the viewer on larger clips.... audio continues to run... I thought it should run OK with an i5 processor and 8gb ram, but it is an earlier i5. Since the software should be able to handle 4k, I don't think it is the video... could it be the graphics card is not capable? I hope it is something I can set in the software...

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Steve
[Thumb - 2015-05-18 Power Director 13 freeze.png]
 Filename
2015-05-18 Power Director 13 freeze.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2216 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
42 time(s)
 Filename
Steve LambesisDxDiag64-OD Forum.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
40 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
226 time(s)
 Filename
P1050561.MOV
[Disk]
 Description
short triathlon clip
 Filesize
33020 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
167 time(s)
Hammerhouse
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Before getting into any major changes, update the drivers for that I5 GPU (graphics chip). Let us know if that helps.

Also set the performance tto performance (if you can find that setting).

I'll look at the rest of the dxdiag printout now.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2015 14:27

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Hammerhouse1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
How do I do a driver update for the GPU? Hammerhouse
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
BTW, nice picture; did you take it? Where?

Update from Intel. Try this utility:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

It looks like you have a lot of programs open either by choicew or because they are in your start folder. You should use msconfig.exe and go to the start page, uncheck those that you don;t need to start at boot. As an alternate, download and run Soluto (free) and it will help you make those decisions. Don't have other program active while doing video editing.

Do you see the problem in the clip you uploaded? Is that directly from the camera? If not, shoot a five second or so clip of a wall or something else and upload that rather than something that has been edited.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2015 14:47

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
[Post New]
If I read the dxdiag correctly - then the gpu is part of the processor.
It also looks like you have a bunch of other apps open while video editing.

Run your task manager while you try to preview it so you can see cpu and memory usage at that time.

I also see you use shadow files (green icon on your video clip). Make sure that that is always green before you start playing with anyting on the timeline.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2015 14:52

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
I notice from Freeze.png that you are you using shadow files. Are you allowing the little green flag to turn yellow before trying to play the clip?

Try turning shadow files off and play the clip again, it may just work.

To turn shadow files off: EDIT - PREFERENCES - GENERAL - uncheck HD video editing Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Hammerhouse1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
SteveK... yes the photo is mine... Antelope Canyon in Page, AZ... I will go thru and clean out some of the programs in the start up later today (have to get some work done) That clip is directly from the camera, no edit....
Shadowman.... I tried turning off the shadow files... did not fix it.... but "what are shadow files".... new to video, long time photographer.... greatly appreciate all your help! Question.... is an i5 processor early version the problem? SteveK... cleaning up my start up... can that solve the problem in your opinion? Hammerhouse
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Hammerhouse1 -

You probably don't need someone else chiming in on this but I will anyway.

Before you posted your sample .MOV file, I downloaded some original GH3 sample files from http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh3/panasonic-gh3VIDEO.HTM

On both my i7 PCs, each more capable than your i5, the 60fps .MOV sample @ ~50MBps behaved in the same way in playback in PDR 13. All the other sample files (.MTS & .MP4) played smoothly on both PCs.

Following the advice other members have offered is a great idea, but I don't think your laptop is up to the task (given what I've observed here). You'd have more fun editing if you recorded in a less demanding format. You may need to convert your .MOV clips to enable playback & editing on that PC.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Hammerhouse1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
So even with a i7 processor you could not play .mov clips with PDR13? How is that possible? PDR13 as an editor would need to be able to handle .mov files, wouldn't it? Not much of an editor if it can't. If it can't handle this on an i7, how can it handle 4k?

I so appreciate you taking the time to check this out, but that is totally confusing that it won't play on your computer Hammerhouse
[Post New]
Tony - did you run playback of the .mov file with shadow files? Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
No - it's not PDR causing the playback issue. It's the capability of my PCs. I've edited 4K clips on my lesser/older i7 without any issues, as long as the VBR ((bitrate) is in the lower range - less than 24MBps.

All the sample clips I tested are 1920x1080, but the VBR varies considerably. By comparison - MOV 60P = 50MBps, MTS 60p = 28MBps, MP4 30p = 20MBps

When I converted the MOV file (in a converter or rendering in PDR) playback was a smooth as silk, even on my poor old i7-920. Resolution and frame rate were retained. The only change I made was dropping the bitrate to 24MBps.

Cheers - Tony
ynotfish
[Post New]
No EKSVid - no shadow files. Of course that would improve playback, but I have a band aid covering that option in preferences so I'm not tempted to check it! laughing
[Post New]
I added 2 of the clips

yvid_gh3_MOV_1080p_60p_RollingShutter
yvid_gh3_MOV_1080p_60p

from

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/panasonic-gh3/panasonic-gh3VIDEO.HTM

enabled HD processing (shadow files - and wait) and I was able to play both from my timeline.
Yes, my computer is a bit faster than Hammerhouse1, so I have no idea if it would work for him.
I agree 100% on using lower bitrate to make things a lot more manageable (or use the trick you HD guys use with converting the source file to lower quality files for editing and and then replace them with the originals when producing)

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43102.page

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 20. 2015 16:06

Win8.1 Pro x64 / Dual x5670 / 24GB / GTX960 4GB / 240GB SSD + 640GB HDD / PD13 Ultimate
Hammerhouse1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So how would I convert a .mov file to a smaller bitrate format like MP4 based on what I am reading from this thread? Like I said, new to video, and learning.... if I need to do that, it would be OK for much of what I do... Hammerhouse
ynotfish
[Post New]
The simplest thing to do is use a video converter, but they're sometimes limited a little when you want to retain maximum quality.

You could simply put the clip in the timeline - go to Produce > AVC H.264 - MPEG-4 - select 1920x1080 and customise the profile to make it 60p & adjust the bitrate.

Alternatively, you could use either of the custom profiles attached... after you download the attached file (Profile.ini)

1. Go to C:\Users\UserName\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\13.0

2. Either replace the Profile.ini in that folder with the one I attached or copy the contents into yours

3. When you open PDR again, go to QuickTime MOV or H.264 MPEG-4 and look under the Custom dropdown.

4. Now you can render to a more i5-friendly profile "laughing"

The MOV profile is the one I used in my testing before.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Profile.ini
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
205 time(s)

Hammerhouse1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks all for your help.... disappointed that the Product won't handle .mov files with a bitrate over 20.... that's my conclusion.... looks like I will need to convert to MP4 files, and then do editing.... converted to MP4 and it works fine... not my first choice OR what I think the Product should be able to do.... Hammerhouse
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Steve -

I don't mind eating my words a bit, in the interests of trying to track down a problem. It's not just about bitrate.

After a few attempts, I downloaded your P1050561.MOV file & found it was shot at 24fps. I then customised a profile to match your original as closely as I could. The details of the profile are attached.

So - I produced your clip to 1920x1080 MOV 23.976fps @ 50MBps & - guess what - it plays completely smoothly in PDR13 laughing

Here are the side-by-side MediaInfo reports:

Someone smarter 'n me might be able to provide some further clues about that. You'll see that PDR produced the clip using the Main@L4.1 profile, but I believe that only affects the maximum allowable bitrate.

You can download the produced file here (if you wish) to see whether it plays smoothly in your PDR 13.

"disappointed that the Product won't handle .mov files with a bitrate over 20" - not so at all.

Cheers - Tony

laughing Apparently the forum reply editor thinks Main@L4.1 is an email address.
 Filename
GH3 Profile.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
904 bytes
 Downloaded:
215 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 21. 2015 23:42