Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Menu Background Resolution
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
EEK! surprised I just discovered something quite inexplicable about menu backgrounds. At first I thought it may have been caused by uploading to DirectorZone, but NO - this happens at the point of menu creation.

This was prompted when I did some testing after responding in this thread - https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/43151.page

Bottom line: When you add a background to a menu, whether you're modifying an existing template or building it from "Create Menu", whatever the resolution & format of the original image, it is stored in the menu folder as a 1920x1080 .png file.

You can mess up an image doing this, even with decent image editing software!

So what? Well - it's irrelevant if you started with a 1920x1080 .png image... but it's NOT irrelevant if you added (say) a low-res 540x304. That image would be upscaled (who knows how well?) by PDR in the menu making process, downscaled (who knows how well?) when burnt to DVD, then later upscaled again (who knows how well?) when played on a HD/UHD TV.

Then there's the image format... say you start with a fairly highly compressed JPEG. PDR converts it to .PNG (who knows how well?). The potential for blurry menu images is compounded if you start with a low res JPEG.

Who cares? I rarely burn disks myself, but if an editor had spent time shooting HQ clips, carefully assembling the project and burning it to DVD - why would they want a potentially fuzzy image front and centre of their production?

As Julius Sumner Miller used to say, "Why is is so?"

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
... and that raises another question about downloading menus from DirectorZone: You don't really know what you're getting because you don't have any idea what that background image has been through before it gets to DZ.

Do you often talk to yourself?

What are you going on about? We're having a perfectly sensible conversation. laughing

Cheers - Tony
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
<p>I think it's the age, mate. Don't worry about it!</p>

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 31. 2015 06:31

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
In my opinion, I don't think any of this really matters or that it is relevant to most users. It wasn't until PD9 later in the year that a patch issued allowed a 1920x1080 image to be used as a background. See the release notes. After that patch, a high res image can be used. This would explain to me why the menus created by menu designers uploaded to the DZ are low res prior to late 2011. Recalled that a photo of people was not allowed on a menu to be uploaded to the DZ at one time. No amimation or video is allowed but they get through. This would explain why images are places, things, or abstract drawing are usually on the background on older menus. Below is a sampling of 4 and 5 stars menus, most downloaded, most favorited, most commented and those with video or animation or picture of people's faces found in DirectorZone.

Menu name, background image resolution, upload date:

glow-new (cyberlink)........ 960x540 2008/04/24

Green Vacation (cyberlink) 960x540 2008/05/27

Album 2...........................960x540 2008/08/23

cinema............................960x540 2009/12/13

Movie Night Menu 2..........960x540 2010/02/03

Vorhang 41 menue...........960x540 2010/10/31

Book 578 menue..............960x540 2011/07/09

Vampire Diaries................600x450 2011/12/01 (great animation)

Back in Time..................1280x720 2011/01/01 (mp4)

Fractal 4148.................1920x1080 2012/05/17

new create...................1920x1080 2015/02/03 (faces)

It looks like higher resolution backround are allowed only on later versions of menu designer. These menus above are among the best rated by users in the DZ. The low res backgrounds looks great to me. Text is always sharp. Maybe there are no complainers because a good sofware or standalone BD player can upscale to near HD quality. Remember the ads for the competing software players and reviews years ago for upscaling DVD video to near HD. None of the images are blurred or fuzzy to me.

Some of the menus listed above works great in older versions of PD but can be easily fixed to work with PD13. The background image can also be replaced if desired. Hope all get the menu they want by d/l, creating, or modifying... laughing surprised

P.S. The menus used in a PD competitor have abstract type backgrounds that scales just fine and I always substitute a different image anyway (personal use).
[Post New]
YNOTFISH - Now you get my conundrum and have seen the light.

"Junk in, junk out": A term used in Hollywood and the graphics world to describe the problem of how a low res image cannot be upscaled to a high res image without becoming badly pixelated, no matter how we may try to write software that fumbles with trying to make it work ("interpolation"). There is no magical process that can do this to any professionally acceptable degree.

Bottom Line: The majority of the menus downloadable on DZ are useless (certainly all of the "4:3" ratio menus), and DZ has no way of telling you the resolution of the original background image, which means it's a gamble (at best) if you're wasting your time or not. This is a HUGE letdown to pretty much everyone since everything went HD a long time ago but the menus got left behind. The only solution is to spend the time to create your own menus, and if you're not lifting images from someone else and/or not a graphic artist yourself, you're pretty much limited to extremely basic menus. Quality-wise, this whole situation is basically a disaster for the casual user who is unwittingly expecting a quality "HD" output result from a "16:9" menu download.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Apr 01. 2015 16:03

ynotfish
[Post New]
Yes - and that's exactly why it's best to make your own!

From the other thread it sounds like that's not such an appealing option... but it is something you can absolutely trust!

Once you've made one, you can just modify that for different projects (saves a bit of re-formatting time).

Cheers - Tony