Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Transitions on sub titles
Keith R [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2014 12:21 Messages: 26 Offline
[Post New]
Hi All,
I'm new to Power Director. I have many years on the old linear pro editors (Betacam) and then no-linear stuff like Pinnacle, Premier etc. Can someone please tell me how to fade sub titles in and out?? That is a basic requirement and I just can't see how to do it. Thanks very much. Keith R
Keith R [Avatar]
[Post New]
Mmm....no replies from the experts?? Does this mean that it cannot be done? It would just be nice to know. Keith R
[Post New]
I think PD does not fade in / out for subtitles.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Dec 17. 2014 14:00

AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
Keith R [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Playsound, it looks like you are right. Pity, because this is such a basic requirement. Keith R
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
I've watched many foreign films released by major studios, with subtitles, and don't remember ever seeing the subtitles fade in or out. They just disappear and the next subtitle appears. Must not be too basic... Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Never seen subtitles or close caption on tv fade in and out either. Some dialog are too fast to read anyway without having the added trouble of fade in and out.

You can try text titling with fades to see if you can keep up with it.
Keith R [Avatar]
[Post New]
O.K I take your point, but it just looks nice if it has a quick fade, and not just "bangs" in. Keith R
JoeO [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2015 10:52 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
NCH Software's VideoPad Video Editor fades subtitles in & out. It is ridiculous that CyberLink's product does not fade subtitles. Anyone saying differently is just making excuses for this bug, whether they realize it or not. RC to the Maxx!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Michael,
welcome to the forum of volunteers. I have never ever seen a subtitles fade in/out. That's not to say it's never happened, it's just rather uncommon.
As for your calling it a "bug", that is just simply incorrect terminology, a lack of a feature is not a bug, it's "by design". HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
JoeO [Avatar]
[Post New]
It is a feature by definition, but the lack of basic functionality can be called a bug as a colloquialism.

If you are speaking for CyberLink and confirming that this is the design, thank you. I will stop wasting my time looking a solution and start regretting purchasing this product. Are you confirming this lack of feature aka bug is not addressed by CyberLink? RC to the Maxx!
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
I am not a Cyberlink employee, just a long-time volunteer, so I do not really speak for them.
This lack of a feature is, apparently, by design.
There is a thread here to ask for features in upcoming versions... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/100/40351.page
I suspect that PD14 is "in the can" already, but you might get some traction anyway.
Don't regret buying PD just yet, especially over a single feature like subtitles. It's a great software, priced fair, and with a superb community forum.
It would be educational for me to actually see subtitles with fades, to see if I like them or they are a distraction.
The professionals don't seem to use them, but maybe they are all wrong, no one flavor suits everybody, that's for sure. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
JoeO [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for that link to the thread to ask for features in upcoming versions... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/100/40351.page
I'd like to thnk that such an obvious feature that PD14 is "in the can" already.

I use subtitles to make my toys talk in my videos (I was hoping I was just missing a 'talk bubble' feature, but I do not see that, yet). I don't want to recommend my videos to anyone, since they are really demonstration and/or for my amusement only videos. But, you can see a VideoPad movie @ https://www.youtube.com/user/JoeOvercoat and a fading subtitle @
https://youtu.be/i64aLpI9Yws?t=300
Usually, I have more thought bubble subtitles in my videos, but that is the most recent one.
For my purposes, this is huge aesthetically. The sync to the voice angle is a worthy consideration, but not in my application (even then, I think a fade could be artfully applied to mitigate the sync issue for deaf consumers).
Thanks again! RC to the Maxx!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Why don't you just use titles? You can use every imaginable effect with them. That's how the person in the linked video did it.

EDIT: Have you looked at the PiP Objects for talk bubbles? Just place your title inside and go!

PiP Objects

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2015 03:18

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
The youtube link supplied by Michael is defective or he does not have subtitles at all on that video. There is no cc icon on the lower right to toggle subtitles on. See the attached screenshot.

The YT video from others that have subtitles do have the cc icon.
[Thumb - subtitle.jpg]
 Filename
subtitle.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
No subtitles seen on Michael's video.
 Filesize
67 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
53 time(s)
JoeO [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Why don't you just use titles? You can use every imaginable effect with them. That's how the person in the linked video did it.
EDIT: Have you looked at the PiP Objects for talk bubbles? Just place your title inside and go!

A: Because I did not (A) find the Default title, or know how to create it myself, until after catching its name in the linked video (thanks!), and (B) did not realize that the title had to be placed on Track #2 to work as an overlay. As for Item A, I suggest to CyberLink that 'Default' should be pre-loaded in the application so the training video works without that prerequisite step: the material online should be bonus, with all the basics pre-loaded. As for Item B, it is clearly key to understanding how CyberLink expects PowerDirector to be used: I never needed the extra tracks in VideoPad and so I would turn them off to simplify the processing.

And I see that I can drag a fade to both the beginning and the end of the title to fade in/out, so I am all set for my basic needs.

Thanks for the pointers!

Meanwhile, I understand that PiP means Picture in Picture, and I see a gallery of PIP objects online, but I suspect I do not fully appreciate what you are saying about PiP for talk bubbles. It does look like using subtitles for my purposes is limited to two threads in PowerDirector (where VideoPad is unlimited), though I think I can work with that.

It really is so simple to do this in VideoPad there is no comparison. On the upside PowerDirector's approach allows for more tailoring/effects.

Thanks again.

P.S. Here is another video that demonstrates my use of 'subtitles'/'titles' @ https://youtu.be/3sxteaHH944 with lots of over-laid text (call it whatever!). RC to the Maxx!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
JoeO - It sounds like you're referring to subtitles when you really mean any text on the screen. Subtitles are normally used in a video to translate the dialog into a second language or to show the actual dialog onscreen so audio isn't needed. As Barry said, they just come and go as the dialog is spoken.

Titles are used for everything else, and thus are much more flexible. There's no reason you can't use titles as subtitles, but it sounds like you didn't know that you had to place them on the timeline to show up, whereas the subtiuiltes did that automatically.

I think it would really help to watch a few tutorials on how to do things in PD. Here's an excellent page covering all the basics.

Happy editing! cool

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
JoeO [Avatar]
[Post New]
My application is subtitles, since they convey what the character is 'saying'. However, subtitles are just text on the screen, except to the degree that they sit on track that can be turned off by the consumer in some cases.

Thanks for the link to the collection of videos. That led to the YouTube page @ PDtoots QuickTips Sometimes those videos are so busy showing all the keen features that it is too easy to miss the basics, but watch them I shall.

Meanwhile, the subtitle function is clearly very limited in PowerDirector, and I will submit an improvement suggestion as soon as I get the idea/wording clear.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 19. 2015 13:19

RC to the Maxx!
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
I am not seeing things. Michael quickly changed his name to joeo on this thread.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Or did I miss that Michael did not make the BUG statement, JoeO did? So...confused... I am reading this back, where the heck did Michael go? HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
tomasc [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Michael,
welcome to the forum of volunteers. I have never ever seen a subtitles fade in/out. That's not to say it's never happened, it's just rather uncommon.
As for your calling it a "bug", that is just simply incorrect terminology, a lack of a feature is not a bug, it's "by design".

Michael quickly became joeo who will report the subtitle bug because they are called titles in powerdirector and all other video editing software.