Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available !
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Is the the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available if I use the latest Nvidia driver?
Surely this will have been fixed by now?
If not why not?
Could it be that it's the Nvidia software that is messing things up. They (Nvidia) appear to be thinking mainly of "Gamers" not those of us who actually want to do some work!

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Pais [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 17, 2013 04:22 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
I discovered this tonight....

PLEASE NOTE : For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

PD12 : http://bit.ly/1wMQCyU
PD13 : http://bit.ly/1wMQHTc

Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2014 04:37

Pais [Avatar]
[Post New]
Now I have installed the drivers 337.88. How to determine if hardware acceleration is enabled with PD? Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I discovered this tonight....

PLEASE NOTE : For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

PD12 : http://bit.ly/1wMQCyU
PD13 : http://bit.ly/1wMQHTc

Hi Pais, yes, I've also had to roll my drivers back to 337.88

Happy editing

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Now I have installed the drivers 337.88. How to determine if hardware acceleration is enabled with PD?

Check Preferences > Hardware Acceleration for check marks.
Put the sample video on the timeline (3 times).

Go to produce, try all of the formats, Set resolution to 1920x1080, Try checking fast video rendering, some will have hardware acceleration available and some will not, depends on the brand, model, and driver version of the video card.

You do not have to actually produce, just look to see to the check mark is there.

If you have none on any profiles, Hardware Acceleration is not working.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 26. 2014 10:13

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Pais [Avatar]
[Post New]
Ok Carl312 , I will do these tests
Messaggio agli italiani che utilizzano PowerDirector , ColorDirector o AudioDirector : http://bit.ly/1rKjrav
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Check Preferences > Hardware Acceleration for check marks.
Put the sample video on the timeline (3 times).

Go to produce, try all of the formats, Set resolution to 1920x1080, Try checking fast video rendering, some will have hardware acceleration available and some will not, depends on the brand, model, and driver version of the video card.

Those checkmarks have NOTHING to do on whether Hardware Acceleration is available in "Produce" or "Create Disc" modules, never has. If Hardware Acceleration is functional, it will be selectable regardless of these pref check marks.

The checkmarks control a few special situation as CL annotates in the setting but they do not control overall ability to use HA.

Please, post some results to show how it affects Hardware Acceleration availability in "Produce" or "Create Disc".

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2014 18:42

Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Those checkmarks have NOTHING to do on whether Hardware Acceleration is available in "Produce" or "Create Disc" modules, never has. If Hardware Acceleration is functional, it will be selectable regardless of these pref check marks.

In Produce, if Hardware Acceleration is not available for that Profile, the Check mark cannot to activated.

You can only put a check mark if Hardware Acceleration is working for that profile.

Hardware Acceleration is a function of the Video Card, The GPU used, the version of the graphics driver and in some cases the CPU (some Intel CPUs). Not all Video Cards (GPU) support Hardware Acceleration.

That is my experience with Hardware Acceleration and Powerdirector.
In the past, if you did not have the correct Graphics Driver and Software, Hardware Acceleration did not work.

How else can you tell if Hardware Acceleration is working?

Some software can demonstrate the GPU is carrying a load while rendering.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 27. 2014 20:40

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Carl, you state, "Check Preferences > Hardware Acceleration for check marks" that's those checkmarks I was referring too, those check marks have nothing to do if HA is available in "Produce" or "Create Disc" module of if it is used during the encoding process. They can be check or unchecked and one can still do HA encoding. The two check mark in Preferences > Hardware Acceleration do control a few special situations and CL appropriately annotates those features.

Obviously one can only put a check mark in the appropriate box of HA on the "Produce" or "Create Disc" module if it's available for the desired format.

Jeff
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Carl, you state, "Check Preferences > Hardware Acceleration for check marks" that's those checkmarks I was referring too, those check marks have nothing to do if HA is available in "Produce" or "Create Disc" module of if it is used during the encoding process. They can be check or unchecked and one can still do HA encoding. The two check mark in Preferences > Hardware Acceleration do control a few special situations and CL appropriately annotates those features.

Obviously one can only put a check mark in the appropriate box of HA on the "Produce" or "Create Disc" module if it's available for the desired format.

Jeff

You are correct, the check marks in Preferences > Hardware Acceleration do not have any effect on Hardware Acceleration in Produce.

If Hardware Acceleration is not working, these options are not available to check. Which is why I suggested you should see if they are available.

The Question was how can you tell if Hardware Acceleration is working. If some or all of the options in Presences and Produce are available, then Hardware Acceleration is available and should be working. A check of GPU activity while producing is a darn good indication.

They do have an effect or else Cyberlink would not have provided the ability to enable or disable the functions.

[Thumb - HA in Preferences.PNG]
 Filename
HA in Preferences.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
The check marks in Preferences PD 13
 Filesize
4 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
2283 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Sep 27. 2014 22:57

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: If Hardware Acceleration is not working, these options are not available to check. Which is why I suggested you should see if they are available.

So why are they available to check in this pic then? Yet Hardware Acceleration is NOT working. Unfortunately, I think your statement is wrong and the pic proves the point. From the pic you can see that Pref > Hardware Acceleration the two boxes are selectable, yet, Hardware video encoding is not available in the "Produce" module for the format, H.264 and bitrate that Nvidia supports.

Again, being able to select these two boxes in preferences IS NOT a test of any form if HA encoding is available and/or functioning for the "Produce" and/or "Create Disc" modules.

Quote: They do have an effect or else Cyberlink would not have provided the ability to enable or disable the functions.

Of course these two items in Pref > Hardware Acceleration have a function, I stated that earlier. They do exactly as CL states for each item that you want to check, totally independent of each other. They have performed the same function as CL states for many PD releases, this is nothing new and should be common knowledge of any MVP contributor.

Come on MVP contributor, you get $1000 of dollars of comp software, does that not require valid answers to keep your badge and status? These MVP credentials give you the "Privilege to directly contact CyberLink staff through a special hotline or email". Get the answers, post some knowledge. For PD13 DS3, $299 retail value and CL claims over $800 total value of extra premiums let alone your comp PD12 version. Is not part of the MVP program your knowledge and know-how of CyberLink products as they state?
http://www.cyberlink.com/stat/CyberLink_MVP_Program/enu/about.jsp

Jeff
[Thumb - Pref_HA2.png]
 Filename
Pref_HA2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
300 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
261 time(s)
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Come on MVP contributor, you get $1000 of dollars of comp software, does that not require valid answers to keep your badge and status? These MVP credentials give you the "Privilege to directly contact CyberLink staff through a special hotline or email". Get the answers, post some knowledge. For PD13 DS3, $299 retail value and CL claims over $800 total value of extra premiums let alone your comp PD12 version. Is not part of the MVP program your knowledge and know-how of CyberLink products as they state?

Jeff

I have an AMD Video card, that option is available. See Attachment.

A MVP should answer questions to the best of his/her knowledge. I am not an engineer, I did not code the program (I don't have that programing skill).

The last time I emailed Richard Yo, I did not get a reply.
So how fast I can get an answer to a question is questionable.

I am not questioning your statements, You have a lot more experience and intimate relation with PowerDirector. I have seen your information on the forum. I consider you are an expert.

I am only saying what I have observed the behavior of Powerdirector is when you check the options.

So Jeff, my question to you, is what is the answer to this question?
Quote: How to determine if hardware acceleration is enabled with PD?

Carl
[Thumb - PD 12 AVC HA is available.PNG]
 Filename
PD 12 AVC HA is available.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
This is Powerdirector 12 AVC and HA
 Filesize
340 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
281 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 28. 2014 10:18

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Come on MVP contributor, you get $1000 of dollars of comp software, does that not require valid answers to keep your badge and status? These MVP credentials give you the "Privilege to directly contact CyberLink staff through a special hotline or email". Get the answers, post some knowledge. For PD13 DS3, $299 retail value and CL claims over $800 total value of extra premiums let alone your comp PD12 version. Is not part of the MVP program your knowledge and know-how of CyberLink products as they state?

Jeff

I have an AMD Video card, that option is available. See Attachment.

A MVP should answer questions to the best of his/her knowledge. I am not an engineer, I did not code the program (I don't have that programing skill).

The last time I emailed Richard Yo, I did not get a reply.
So how fast I can get an answer to a question is questionable.

I am not questioning your statements, You have a lot more experience and intimate relation with PowerDirector. I have seen your information on the forum. I consider you are an expert.

I am only saying what I have observed the behavior of Powerdirector is when you check the options.

So Jeff, my question to you, is what is the answer to this question?
Quote: How to determine if hardware acceleration is enabled with PD?

Carl

Carl, no, I'm not a expert nor have I ever claimed to be, I'm a user, a bonafide paying customer.

Unselect your two ticks in Pref > Hardware Acceleration. Your option to use Hardware video encoding WILL STILL be available on the "Produce" page. The use of "Hardware video encoding" is not dependent on these two checks in Pref > Hardware Acceleration. It will be the same for Nvidia or AMD GPU's, except for the supported formats.

Again, yes, those two items do exactly what CL states by each item. Maybe you don't understand the wording CL has used or something.

How to determine if hardware video encoding is available, if the option on the "Produce" page labeled "Hardware video encoding" is selectable and not greyed out then it's available for PD to use. One can easily verify GPU use with any basic GPU monitoring utility.

Jeff
[Thumb - HA.png]
 Filename
HA.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
177 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
269 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2014 10:49

borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Confusing - these separate functions. Citing NVidia in this case, here's the distinction as I read it...

In options, the hardware DEcoder is being enabled, to facilitate decoding during editing (CUDA).

In produce or create, the hardware ENcoder functions with certain formats, but only with NVidia driver 337.88 or earlier - to enable faster video rendering. This, irrespective of whether DEcoding is enabled in options.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2014 11:01

JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Confusing - these separate functions. Citing NVidia in this case, here's the distinction as I read it...

In options, the hardware DEcoder is being enabled, to facilitate decoding during editing (CUDA).

In produce or create, the hardware ENcoder functions with certain formats, but only with NVidia driver 337.88 or earlier - to enable faster video rendering. This, irrespective of whether DEcoding is enabled in options.

CL provided the details in this FAQ, http://www.cyberlink.com/support/product-faq-content.do?id=12777&prodId=4&prodVerId=-1&CategoryId=-1&keyword=effects

Preference > Hardware acceleration > Enable OpenCL technology
This feature determines what technology is to be used for these specialized effects (the ones with the GPU logo in the corner) when applied to the timeline. When activated the GPU will be used during preview and render. So IF "Enable hardware encoding" in "Produce" is selected as well as this option, these specialized effects if used in the timeline will get the assistance of the GPU and the video will be hardware encoded with the GPU. If this option is unselected, but "Enable hardware encoding" is selected, the video will be hardware encoded by the GPU but these special effects will have the CPU do the task.
Likewise when previewing a video in the timeline that has one of these special effects applied. If this option is selected, the GPU will assist in the render to the playback window, if not selected, the CPU will do the effect task.

Preference > Hardware acceleration > Enable hardware decoding
Is pretty self explanatory, it only affects decoding, nothing to do with encoding so does not affect the ability to "Enable hardware encoding" in "Produce"

Produce > Fast video rendering technology > enable Hardware video encoder
Again, pretty self explanatory, if your GPU supports hardware encoding, you can enable this feature. When enabled, the encoding will be done with the GPU, when unselected, encoding is done with the CPU. Whether faster or slower or a change in output quality really depends on the hardware involved and the timeline contents.

Jeff
Carl312
[Post New]

Jeff, thanks for the link.

Nice to have the functions spelled out.

The Point being that if Hardware Acceleration is working the Options will be available in both Preferences > Hardware Acceleration and in the Produce Module for some Profiles.

Whether Hardware Acceleration works in the Create Disk Module is very dependent on Platform. It causes me problems if checked.

I hope we are done with this discussion.

Carl Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
A MVP beating on another. Wow!
I am classified as a newbie because I registered only 1 Cyberlink software. I owm oem versions of the suites and have access to the others of friends that install thier purchased versions to do video editing. Never advertised that I own other software brands and active with them or that I hold a degree and work with computers everyday. Done programming in the past.
If you look at my profile, you'll see questions that were never answered correctly here or by technical support. Fixed all those myself.

I usually wait until a senior contributor has answered someone and only if the thread continues, then I will answer if it did not solve thier problem and I am certain that I know the answer.

Case in point, A senior contributor could not get Cyberlink support to give the correct response on cropped thumbnails over many years and posted on 11/25/2013. I solved that problem almost 3 years ago and gave the correct answer only because he posted the thread and no other senior contributor will give him the correct answer.

Another case. A newbie asked about Time/date info from imported MiniDV tape on 4/12/2014. The senior contributor answered that he can't get it to work on PD going back to version 8 and it is not useful. I investigated and got it to work. Had that thread continued, I would have given that newbie the correct answer on what he needed to do technically. The user manual is correct and do not need to be changed. It is a useful feature for DV.

JL_JL's comment about hardware acceleration is something I found out over a year ago out of necessity because my standalone BD player needs it for created disc h.264 menu compatibility even if svrt is used. I use an AMD video card like Carl312. not Nvidia.

I respect Carl312 answers on this forum. He has helped some many users. I am sure many others like me get bad answer to problems that the technical support individuals can't solve but is solved here on this forums by newbies, members, contributors or however they are classified.

[Post New]
The version 13 has this statement on "specs" section:
PLEASE NOTE: For users of NVIDIA cards who have updated to graphics driver 340.43 or later, the video hardware acceleration feature in PowerDirector is no longer available. To re-enable hardware acceleration, please download and install an earlier driver.

I think this is ridiculous.
Also, I have a Quadro card, I am not sure if that applies to Quadro's too or only to GeForce's...

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2014 17:05

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Quadro card should be stable in a workstation with the correct quadro driver unless one decide to use a Geforce driver for gaming.
Don't know anyone who would install PD12 on a workstation. Professional software is usually installed for that purpose.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 28. 2014 17:37