Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Media Source Error on Producing AVCHD Video
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Lee,
That is absolutely brilliant, and well done figuring the files out!
On the free software suggestion if you get one, could I also have copy being the initial proposer of this? - even though it was never picked up except by you and Mr anonymous.
The interesting challenge here that unless you have a 64 bit operating system installed it probably won't work (memory addressing limits?)

Regards

Don

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 14. 2010 18:10

Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Aeropars [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 10, 2010 15:33 Messages: 65 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not sure to be honest.

The good news or anyone wanting to go to a 64 bit OS is that its totally free!

In your licence, you pay for the software version, NOT the architechture it runs on. So XP, Vista and windows 7 licence keys will work on the 32 and 36 bit version. I had this confirmed by microsoft during a recent audit

I'm just about to kick off an hours render with music subtitles, PiP and enhance/fix options so i'll see how that goes.

On observing the memory usage it never gets above 2.6gb and the OS takes over 1gb of that so while this method seems to be working I'm not sure the DLL's are working efficiently enough in a 32 bit address space and are certainly not using all the 2gb limit they can.
donbroadband
Member Location: Caldy, Wirral UK Joined: Aug 06, 2009 06:04 Messages: 119 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Lee,
PD8 may still not be managing memory most efficiently but look where you are on the 10/1 you were having the "usual" problems and now you have a fully working system - some (many) of us laboured for months trying to use PD8 and some of us just gave up (me!).
The problem for me was that I didn't spot this possibility until I had actually bought Vegas (having claimed a refund on PD and was experiencing problems which this method resolved .

I would like to see other people try this and also see some comment from CL R&D as to the pro's and cons of this approach. If you are still running well at the end of the day - I shall purchase a new copy of PD8 and then I will have two Editing packages

Regards

Don

Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have just remoted in to my home Pc and checked its progress.

Its rendered to 1 hour and 30 seconds with no problem and still going strong. The project is about 1 hour 15 so hasnt finished yet.

I deliberatly set a lot of fix and enhance stuff (extream backlight, enhance video, stabilise ect) on 25% of the files i used on this project and put lots of Pip and particle effects in as well. Only thing i haven't done is text and music because i ran out of time. but generally theres a lot more stuff going on that what I would normally put in any project (im not an advanced video editor)

Before buying i would recommend trying this on the demo to be sure it works for your system, especially if your runing 32 bit.
donbroadband
[Post New]
Hi Lee,
Thanks for the reply - I do run 64 bit Win 7 Pro on an i7/920 O/C'd to 3.3Ghz (my spec is at the bottom of my postings). I do know one other person who has applied this "fix" and they also run Win 7/64 and have no problems now - they have implemented the changes on V2220 (not c).

I would be happier if other's tried this fix but it doesn't look like its going to happen (and I really don't understand why).

As I said in previous postings on this I don't think CL would allow me to have another trial ( not according to previous postings by Dafydd in response to another request for a continuation of Trials) and that is fair enough. I did try the product for an extenmded period prior to returning it.

CL are absolutely fair even if one may question their support/release processes - I'll give it a bit longer and then buy a copy if the vibes are still good.

Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Guys,

Following this thread, I downloaded CFF and altered the >2GB handling in PD8.exe and PDHanumanSvr.exe as per the "instructions".

Interestingly I then installed 2508 and thought I'd have to start again but CFF showed that the >2Gb handle was already set in both files.

Dafydd also checked his 2508 files with CFF (for the first time) and the >2GB handle was set on his files as well.

Does this mean that everyone's 2508 files are set to >2GB handling??

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 16. 2010 15:01

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Aeropars [Avatar]
[Post New]
How do you download that file?

Which instructions are you referring to? I don't think you mean mine as I havent changed the second file you mentioned.
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
It is interesting that this very minor "fix" was never implemented and yet it is known of else where in the video editing software world. Might this have anything to do with running PD8 in 64 bit mode only ? Anyone with Win 7 - 32 bit using release 2508 tried it ? I can confirm that it works very nicely thank you in Win 7-64 bit mode. And on release 2220 at that. Win 10, i7
donbroadband
[Post New]
Hi Adrian, Dafydd
The interesting files would be the dll (PE) files, as well as the main executables. Lee gave a list of the files he changed could you check those in the new release?

Don

Ps Also Adrian never said whether changing the files in the "old" release actually worked.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 15. 2010 17:27

donbroadband
[Post New]
Hi Joe,
I would have thought that your machine would scrape through (I have in the past used PD8 on an Intel Atom 330 based system ) but just be a tad on the slow side.
The "greater than 2GB fix" I would have thought would need an OS that could handle >2GB. I notice you have 4Gb of RAM on a 32bit system. This will probably display my ignorance of the machinations of Windows BUT to adress larger memory I understand you did need a 64 bit system. There is a change (I think) you can make to the boot file which will let windows handle a little more memory - I will see if I can find it - or maybe someone else on the forum may be able to help. This change did work with XP but I am not sure about Visat or Win 7. I stopped using PD8 for a while and switched to the competition but have just returned (though I shall also keep the other editing suite) the PD8 interface and useability is wonderful, hopefully it will now work OK .
I noticed Lee said elswhere in this thread you could use your 32 bit licence on a 64 bit version - if so maybe you could try a 64 bit Vista?

Good Luck,

Don Gigabyte I7/4940 O/C 4.3, Noctua Cooler 10GB DDR3, 4 x 1TB, 1TB SSD, Geoforce GTX660 TI 8500W PSU, Windows 10 Pro 64bit.
jocat [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Bradenton, FL Joined: Dec 20, 2009 12:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I just logged in from a differentl machine and don't see my post...odd?

Anyway, thanks, Donald. I'd like to know that information. I'm open to upgrading from Vista 32 to Windows 7 64 bit if the consensus is that I will see better performance.

I successfully produced the speed changes to my video using both 1440 (Hardware Accel)and 1920 (SRVT) on a 4 min video, so this weekend I'll see if I can apply the transitions and produce without errors. From there, I should be able to add titles and music and produce my final segment. So in general, it seems as is, my PD8 on my system can only handle so much AVCHD editing at a time.

Still looking for more on CUDA, if that matters at this point.

Joe

--------------------------

upgrading worked - please read post here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/9855.page#43220

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 23. 2010 11:53

Joe

Canon Vixia HF20
Windows 7 64-bit
Dual Core E6550 2.33 GHz
4 GB RAM
NVIDIA ES8400 GS
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
I'm using the current release 2508 on 1920x1080 AVCHD files. I find that PD8 will either crash or generate altered (black) images only if the shadow files are enabled. If I disable the shadow files (thus using the pure power of the i7 PC) PD8 rarely crashes. It does however "appear" to hang, but only for a few seconds and all the output is good video. The difference in file rendering times is nominal and the lack of crashes a pleasant experience. And SVRT also works OK as well. Win 10, i7
donbroadband
[Post New]
Hi Alex,
I am now using 2508 and it works OK, I did try 2220C with the CF mod but it didn't seem as stable as 2508. I have never switched on the shadow file facility as I reckoned that the i7 should be able to "eat" it. Also I am rendering without problems (only to a file though - not direct to disc).

The only starnage thing I do suffer from now is that when I update my ATI drivers I have to reinstall PD8 otherwise the second dispaly feature locks up PD8 and Win7 says its not responding. I I do a clean reinstall of both the drivers, AVIVO and PD8 + Contents everything is then OK