Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Size of file when making DVD
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Carl - Thank you for your reply and insight. However my problem is not that I want to reduce file sizes, far from it. My problem is getting the best quality DVD (assume large files = best quality) files onto an 8.5gb dual layer dvd.

As I mentioned previously:
PD17 is producing a 3/4gb dvd from original files totalling approx 15.5gb (MTS originals) from my new camera and
PD17 is producing a 5gb (reduced to fit the 8.5gb dvd using smartfit) dvd from original files totalling approx 7.3gb (MPG originals) from my old camera. So the 'pre-smartfit' files would be even larger.

I am trying to understand why from the smaller files from the old camera PD17 produced a larger dvd file than when using larger (better quality) files from the new camera. Size on the finished dvd is not a problem but trying to understand why PD17 is producing smaller sized dvd files from the new camera which has larger files is!!

I would also like to ensure that the new camera is set correctly so that I can get the best quality original files for PD17 to work on (size here is not an issue)

If my posts are somewhat confusing, please accept my apologies, to reason for that is.... I am very confused!!!... sorry.
The maximum bit rate a standard DVD can support is about 10 Mbps.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DVD-Video#Data_rate

That limits the qualiy video you can record on a standard DVD disc.

However AVCHD on a DVD is max 18 Mbps. (Requires a Blueray player)
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AVCHD#Specifications

The length for AVCHD video is limited by the data storage on a double layer DVD. (I think the length is about 20 minutes)

If you are creating AVCHD disks you can do a maximum of 1920x1080 @ 18Mbps. This format requires a Bluray player, AVCHD will not play in a standard DVD player.

Different bit rate of the original video will make different size produced files. Bit rate is the main file size creator. The higher the bit rate the larger the file will be.

Size of the final video file depends on the resolution and the bit rate of the video. The easiest way to reduce file size is to reduce the bit rate.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jan 20. 2021 10:00

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Bad wolf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 16, 2019 11:50 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Carl. I have been trying to do a comparison of file settings between the old an new cameras to compare the bit rates etc. Unfortunately the details of the camera files produced by the old camera don't give detailed spec. I will try to find something in the metadata/exif file.
It doesn't make a great deal of difference to the final dvd, but it annoys me (sad person that I am!!) when I can't find the reason for differences which appear illogical, ie smaller dvd files being produced from larger original files.

By the way. Am I better shooting at the best frame rate settings available in camera and letting pd17 reduce the files to the best size for the 8.5gb dvd or just shooting at, what appeared to be, the basic setting, or is this just wasting the 'in camera' storage (of which there is plenty).
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Thanks Carl. I have been trying to do a comparison of file settings between the old an new cameras to compare the bit rates etc. Unfortunately the details of the camera files produced by the old camera don't give detailed spec. I will try to find something in the metadata/exif file.
It doesn't make a great deal of difference to the final dvd, but it annoys me (sad person that I am!!) when I can't find the reason for differences which appear illogical, ie smaller dvd files being produced from larger original files.

By the way. Am I better shooting at the best frame rate settings available in camera and letting pd17 reduce the files to the best size for the 8.5gb dvd or just shooting at, what appeared to be, the basic setting, or is this just wasting the 'in camera' storage (of which there is plenty).
You should always use the best picture quality on your camera. You can always reduce the quality but you can not increase the quality if it was not originaly shot that way.

Besides, Memory is cheap now. If space is a concern, use the largest memory card your camera can use. As far as storage of your original videos, there are plenty of external hard drives available. Storage is fairly cheap. I am not a fan of Cloud storage, because you don't have complete control of your content.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 23. 2021 11:05

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
I am not a fan of Cloud storage, because you don't have complete control of your content.

At last! Someone who thinks as I do.
Good to see you posting on here again Carl. It seems a long time since you visited. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Carl312
[Post New]

At last! Someone who thinks as I do.
Good to see you posting on here again Carl. It seems a long time since you visited.
Yeah I have not been posting much on Cyberlink. I do post something once in a while.

I do look at the posts where I get a notice on. May be a very old post from years ago.

Thank you for noticing.

Carl

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2021 13:53