Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I run two versions of PD on the same computer?
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Tomasc!

All those extra tracks? WOW! I put a screengrab of my PD8 up for Mike(Fenman) to see, but on reading his last comment more carefully, I'm now aware he knows of the extra tracks available. I have utilised the 9 PiP tracks in my PD8 to create animated titles where each letter of the word in my title(9 letters maximum, of course) has its own motion effect. If I need to put extra words into the title, I have to create separate sequences for each word in my title. This is where PD8 falls down because the image of the letters becomes blurred. This is where reinstalling PD7 would've been useful as title overlays I did(not animated - PD7 only had 6 PiP overlay tracks, not enough to create useful animated titles) would retain their sharpness. I may well be stepping up to PD9 in future, the 99 PiP tracks give me endless ideas for my titling effects, not that anyone would EVER use 99 PiP overlay tracks, but having them available would be useful. For the moment, though, I create each animated word and marry the words together in a third-party video editing programme that has 20 PiP overlay tracks but the animation effects are limited. I use that other programme to superimpose the completed title onto my works, but bring them back to PD8 for any extra additions, like adding music and narration, and final disc authoring(burning).

Cheers!

Neil.
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

I hadn't downloaded your screenshot - that was someone else smile

I have now, though, and as tomasc says it's completely different from PD9 onwards which looks like this :-

You can add video and audio tracks up to a maximum of 100 each but you can't add extra effects, title, voiceover or music tracks.

The 5-pronged asterisk above the track manager selector icon is the Magic Tools selector.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2015 04:46

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Fenman(Mike)!

This looks fascinating! It appears you can add the extra PiP or audio tracks anywhere as the "Below Tr.3" might suggest. Where you said "but you can't add extra effects, title, voiceover or music tracks", the extra audio tracks could be used as music tracks as a default option. I might enquire about buying this version from Cyberlink(if it's still available), paying by international money order(Western Union, perhaps). If it gives me good, clear superimpose of graphics(on PD8, graphics superimposed on a video go blurry). With the extra PiP tracks, I could use my own alphabet letters(designed using Microsoft's Paint programme) to form, in one go, whole titles with characters numbering up to 100 letters(though my titles wouldn't go to that number of characters in actual practice). As for the "Track Manager" icon, it seems Cyberlink has found a different use for the 5-pronged asterisk symbol, as you pointed out.

Wouldn't mind seeing a full-screen image so I could see where everything was in PD9.

Cheers!

Neil.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Fenman(Mike)!

This looks fascinating! It appears you can add the extra PiP or audio tracks anywhere as the "Below Tr.3" might suggest. Where you said "but you can't add extra effects, title, voiceover or music tracks", the extra audio tracks could be used as music tracks as a default option. I might enquire about buying this version from Cyberlink(if it's still available), paying by international money order(Western Union, perhaps). If it gives me good, clear superimpose of graphics(on PD8, graphics superimposed on a video go blurry). With the extra PiP tracks, I could use my own alphabet letters(designed using Microsoft's Paint programme) to form, in one go, whole titles with characters numbering up to 100 letters(though my titles wouldn't go to that number of characters in actual practice). As for the "Track Manager" icon, it seems Cyberlink has found a different use for the 5-pronged asterisk symbol, as you pointed out.

Wouldn't mind seeing a full-screen image so I could see where everything was in PD9.

Cheers!

Neil.
Neil, Versions of Powerdirector PD9 and up have up to 100 tracks, You can add effects (up to 7 effects directly on the video in the track).

Audio can be in any track. However you can only record voice over in the voice track. Once the voice over is recorded, you can move it to any other audio track, then record another voice over in the voice track.

You can fix the blurry letters by making the graphic a large size PNG (greater than 1920x1080). PNG files can be transparent.

There is one very good free Image program that we use for creating graphics (Paint.net) That is the name of the program, not a web address. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Wouldn't mind seeing a full-screen image so I could see where everything was in PD9.

I've added this as an attachment as it's too big for an in-line graphic. You will see the effects track shown by the funny fan-shape icon, title track with T, voiceover track with the microphone icon and music track with the notes icon. These are the tracks that can't be multiplied but, as you said, you can add music to additional ordinary audio tracks and also voiceovers as described by Carl.

The important thing about where the additional tracks can be added is that tracks lower down overlay the ones above.

The Workspace in PD13 is pretty much identical.
[Thumb - PDscreen.jpg]
 Filename
PDscreen.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Power Director 9 Workspace
 Filesize
124 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
43 time(s)

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 07. 2015 09:17

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Fenman, thanks for the jpg!

Okay, the Clipboard icon is straightforward(contents to be edited), the fan = effects, the old Track Manager icon has neow become "Magic Tools" and I'll have to get PD9 to find out what that entails, The "T" for titles, the transition icon still much the same, the Musical notes being the Audio mixer Icon, the rest, fairly much as it has been from PD7 but the star cluster has me baffled. What does it do?

I figure, what I know as "Power Tools" are now covered by "Magic Tools"(Video In Reverse and such) And I see there's a new icon replacing the Director's chair & megaphone symbol, a movie camera on a frame of film! Guess I'll have to organise a way to get hold of this PD9 version.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Instead of trying to get such an old version of Powerdirector, why not just buy the current version. There have been many improvements in Powerdirector since PD 7, PD 8 and PD 9, the big change came in Version 9 (100 Tracks), the current versions just improved on the big leap made with PD 9. If you want of go with an earlier version, why not try for Powerdirector 13 Ultra.

You can find Powerdirector 13 Ultra at some regional retailers.

Powerdirector 14 can be bought from the Cyberlink store and from regional retailers. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
[Post New]
Neil,

The best way to find out about the newer versions is to download a manual. You can get the PD9 one *here* and the PD13 one *here*.

As Carl says you'd probably do better to go for PD13 as there are bound to be old stocks at discounted prices now that PD14 has been released.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 07. 2015 11:22

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Carl312 and Fenman!

The reason I'd go for PD9 is that it's the natural next step up from PD8, and PD9 is a quantum jump in facilities compered to version 8.

Will write extra in another post as soon as I've sorted out my AVG Security.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Okay, I'm back!

Had an AVG update to perform(that AVG can make a nuisance of itself at times!) I explained the reason for going for PD9, but if you suggest I should jump up to PD13, first I'd want to know what features it has. Cost and availability is another factor. I can't just walk into a Harvey Norman store here in Australia, put my money on the counter and walk out with a brand-new PD13 package! Unlike the USA where Cyberlink has a large network of shops carrying its products, as well as Cyberlink itself likely having its own stores in major centres, like L.A., Chicago, Washington, etc., many Australian businesses, like Harvey Norman, JB Hi-Fi, Leading Edge Computers, Jaycar Electronics, Office Works, Domayne and other retailers tend not to carry a great range of software items, so my only REAL option is to get the package directly from Cyberlink, and pay for it by International Money Order(nominally, Western Union). For this I'd need to know the cost in American dollars, and the equivalent cost in Australian dollars, taking into account, the exchange rate(Aus$1, buys roughly 72 cents, US), also I have to allow for the fee applied by Western Union on top of the product cost. So, you see it's a rather involved process.

Cheers!

Neil.
Fenman
[Post New]
Neil,

I bought both my retail copies of Power Director from Amazon here in the UK. Do you have an Amazon in Oz?

As I've already said the best way to see what features the newer versions have is to download the User Guides and have a read.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 08. 2015 08:30

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Mike(Fenman)!

No, we don't have Amazon in Australia, we just have those ones I mentioned earlier. One,that has a store in Newcastle is Office Works, but the range of video editing software they carry is limited(I bought another brand of editing programme from there a couple of years back, but hadn't seen any Cyberlink product there). What I might do, before I attempt to get PD13 from Cyberlink, is to try another of those store I mentioned, JB Hi-Fi has a store in the Newcastle suburb of Kotara. If I can get it there, I might not need to get it through Cyberlink directly(though I don't hold out much hope of success). All I can do is see what they've got. I might phone them first or google them and see what they carry.

Cheers for now!

Neil.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Mike and Carl!

Thought I'd bring you up to date re: my chasing latter versions of Power Director. Today(Friday, 9th October, 2015) I visited my local Leading Edge Computers store in Nelson Bay(40-50 minutes' drive north of Newcastle, roughly 57kilometres) and enquired about Cyberlink product, particularly Power Director. The person I spoke with, called up Cyberlink PD on the store's computer, showing four distinct versions of Power Director 14, from the Suite down to the delux version. I've asked about the Ultra version which was priced at Aust$139.00. Trouble was, his supplier hadn't got back to him by closing time(5.00pm AEDT - we're in daylight saving time as of Sunday, 3rd October) so I won't know until Monday, 12th October if it's available. I do not wish a download, I much prefer the boxed retail version, this way, if I require a new computer at any time in the future, I'll have the disc to install PD14 on that new computer.

I know what I said about moving from PD8 to PD9 being the natural progression, this move by me is, by comparison, a quantum leap. But I figure that PD9 might no longer be available anywhere.

So that's where Im up to at the moment. I'll have a better idea on Monday.

Cheers for now!

Neil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 10. 2015 08:24

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello, Mike and Carl!

Here's the update on where I'm at, re: chasing Power Director 14 Ultra. On Friday, 9th October, I enquired at Leading Edge Computers in Nelson Bay, as of today, Monday, 12th October, that enquiry drew a blank, so I thought I'd try my local Jaycar reseller, that also drew a blank, but, on spec, I tried the Harvey Norman electrical goods store, near me in Salamander Bay(near Nelson Bay)......

PAYDIRT! Third time lucky, as thay say, and what's more I've saved roughly $20(Australian) as well! So I've ordered PD14 Ultra and paid for it($119.96 Australian) and I should have it between one and two weeks from today. I'll be notified by phone when I can pick it up. So this now brings me back to the original question. And in my case, it will be, "can I keep PD8 Ultra installed and add PD14 Ultra" to my "software mix"?

Cheers!

Neil.
Fenman
[Post New]
Based on my experience with PD9 and PD13 I'd say there's a good chance you can. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Mike!

As you'll have read, I managed to order and pay for PD14 Ultra today(Tuesday, 12/10/2015). As I write this, it's still Tuesday but with just over 40 minutes to midnight(AEDT). I'm looking forward to getting PD14 Ultra, I'll "mix & match" my use of PD14 and PD8, and I'll keep my other video editing programme as well, as it has some transition effects I like. Each will come into their own for various purposes.

Cheers!

Neil.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, everyone!

Got PD14 Ultra today and installed it! Half-expected it to say "there's an earlier version, please uninstall first(or words to that effect) but no, Installation of PD14 Ultra carried on as if PD8 wasn't even there! The icons I have are(top to bottom) the basic launching icon for PD14 Ultra, then the screen recorder icon, then the wave editor icon.

Now I'll have to hang an "L-plate" around my neck as I learn to drive this new beast! But anyhow, the question has now been answered "Yes" As both PD8 and PD14(Both Ultras) are side-by-side on my computer.

Cheers!

Neil
Carl312
[Post New]
Neil, good to hear all went well.

Full Versions do not care if an earlier version is on the computer. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl.

PD8 will come in useful at times, so I'm glad I was able to retain it. There are some features of PD8 that will compliment PD14, and vice-versa. One question though, In PD14 Ultra, which is the best MPEG setting to replicate DVD SP?

Cheers!

Neil.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Hi, Carl.

PD8 will come in useful at times, so I'm glad I was able to retain it. There are some features of PD8 that will compliment PD14, and vice-versa. One question though, In PD14 Ultra, which is the best MPEG setting to replicate DVD SP?

Cheers!

Neil.
DVDs are MPEG-2 720x480/576 at about 8 Mbps. There is a DVD selection in MPEG-2. To fit more on a DVD you reduce the bit rate.

The standard rule of thumb is one hour of video on a Single Layer DVD (4.7 GB) and about two hours on a Double Layer DVD (8.5 GB). Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl!

As it happens, I found the DVD SP setting by chance. I have to say, clips rendered from Hi-Def content like AVCHD or MP4, actually scrub up quite well when rendered to DVD SP. Using DVD SP I'm able to squeeze two hours onto a standard 4.7 Gb DVD(single layer). I don't use dual-layer discs for anything other than file storage as the last time I tried to burn a dual-layer DVD, only the computer would play it(yes, it had been "finalised"), domestic DVD players will quite readily accept and play commercially-made dual-layer discs)My Harry Potter movie collection proves that), but they "spit the dummy" on home-burn dual-layer discs. So, for that reason, I keep it simple... DVD SP, burn to single-layer and fit 2 hours + onto one disc.

Cheers!

Neil.