Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Can I run two versions of PD on the same computer?
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
To those who claim to have one or more other(later) versions of Power Director on their computers beyond, say, the initial version the may have started with, my question is: How the hell did you get to install it(the newer version) WITHOUT it overwriting and uninstalling the earlier version? And moreso, Bubba From TX(assumedly Texas), How did you manage to install PD10 without losing PD9, then install PD11 without losing the other two?

As I've stated, when I installed PD8, it had to go though the process of uninstalling and overwriting PD7, so there's no way I could have PD7 and PD8 sitting side-by-side on my computer. If I were to re-install PD7 now, it would uninstall PD8.

This is a shame for me, in a way as, I've been using the 9 overlay video tracks available in PD8 to make my own animated titles with each letter in a nine-letter word having its own animation effect. If In need to do titles with multiple wording, I animate several other sequences with the required words in each, then I overlay them to create the complete title. Trouble is, if I try to do that final part on PD8, the letters are blurred. But if I were using PD7 the overlay would be nice and sharp, but PD7 only has 6 overlay tracks so it's a bit restrictive for the animation effects I'm trying to create.

Cheers!

Neil
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Neil.F.1955, Was PD 8 a upgrade from PD 7?

They only way Powerdirector versions can co-exist on the same computer is if the installing version is a Full version.

I had the same problem with Installing Powerdirector 7 Ultra which was an upgrade from Powerproducer 5 Ultra.

At one time I had PowerDirector 7 Ultra and Powerdirector 8 Ultra on the same Windows XP computer. The reason I could do that is because Powerdirector 8 was a FULL version. Ever since PD 8 I have only installed Full Versions of Powerdirector.

I have three of the later Powerdirector programs installed on my main computer. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
That's right. Both my versions were/are retail boxed on CD. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Intel Core i5 Quad Core 3.3GHz, 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz,
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Windows 7 Prof 64-bit, PD 9 Ultra 64, PD 13 Ultimate 64
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Carl312 asked: "Neil.F.1955, Was PD 8 a upgrade from PD 7?" My answer is yes!

Like you, Carl, I started with PD5, then went to PD7. I ran PD5 on (I think) Windows Millenium, then, when I stepped up to Windows XP, I was using PD5 on that until I bought PD7. Installing PD7 on my XP auto-uninstalled and overwrote PD5. When it came time for a new computer, I stepped up to Windows 7 but still had PD7 which I installed, but later I got hold of PD8 via a new capture card I had bought from a Jaycar Electronics store, but it was a bare-bones version where many of the features were unavailable. when I commented on this on an earlier forum thread, Cubbyhouse Films offered me his full version PD8 Ultra, as he was no longer using it and had advanced to PD12 or higher(by now he may be using the latest PD version). Upon my installing PD8 Ultra the same thing happened, auto-uninstall of the previous version and overwrite with new components.

Hope this clarifies where I'm at with Power Director.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
I buy full versions of any software but sometimes the later versions do uninstal any previous versions of the same software you have but not Cyberlink. I once could not finish a project because each versions would have certain features replaced in the newer versions. That is normal with any video editing software. I reported the issue and tech support gave me a workaround. This should work for you.

Because you claimed that CubbyhouseFilms gave you an upgrade version of PD8 from the goodness of his heart, try this: Install PD7 and enter your original information to activate it.

Let us know if this fixes the issue and you have both versions working properly on your pc.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Tomasc!

I still have the installation disc for PD7, and yes, I may have a crack at reinstalling it, but not straight away. I might try this weekend(fingers crossed that it should work, but I don't suppose there are any guarantees that it will). If I'm successful, I'll likely use the PD7 to superimpose my animated titles created in PD8. And maybe use the PD7 for some disc authoring as well.

I am grateful to CubbyhouseFilms(Neil in Melbourne, if you're reading this, hope you're doing well).

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 30. 2015 12:41

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have a query as to how to achieve this having two versions of PD on one computer. If I am to reinstall PD7 but wish to retain PD8(which I do), what must I watch for upon loading the disc and starting the installation process?
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have a query as to how to achieve this having two versions of PD on one computer. If I am to reinstall PD7 but wish to retain PD8(which I do), what must I watch for upon loading the disc and starting the installation process?
It does not work with UPGRADE versions. You have as many FULL versions of Powerdirector that you have space for on Drive C. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Carl312!

Well, I have tried just a little while ago to re-install PD7. It's labeled as Power Director "Delux" V.7. When the window comes up to install, upon clicking on "Install" I get a notice saying Power Director has been detected, please uninstall.... I click "No" and the installation process ceases. So for me, it's definitely going to be just the one version of Power Director on my computer for the forseeable future. So, the question: "Can I run two versions of PD on the same computer?" has been answered in the negative for me. Never mind though, I still use PD8 to create my animated titles, I just have to use a third-party software in order to superimposethose titles.

Just a pointer, the two versions, PD7 Delux and PD8 Ultra were FULL versions!

Cheers!

Neil.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 01. 2015 20:52

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
As I'd already explained, any attempt by me to install my earlier version of Power Director(Vers. 7 Delux) has hit a brick wall. Upon loading the installation disc in my computer's DVD drive, the usual installation window came up, and on clicking the icon to commence installation, I'm greeted with a warning that my newer PD has been detected and should be first uninstalled. If I click "No" the process stops cold and goes no further.

I think there's something here that I've not been told, and that is, for those who have two(or more) versions of Power Director on their computer, have two(or more) internal hard-drives, and each variant is installed on one of those other hard-drives, but even then, the user would be told of another version of PD pre-existing on his/her computer and should first uninstall the other version. So I see no way around this and will content myself with PD8 Ultra for now until I can get a later Power Director from "somewhere".

Bye, Now!
Fenman
Senior Contributor Location: Cambridge, UK Joined: Nov 24, 2011 04:44 Messages: 731 Offline
[Post New]
Neil,

Both my versions are installed on the system drive. In the image below PD9 and PD13 are installed in separate folders as you can see. I wonder if your problem is caused by trying to install an older version after a newer one. Have you tried doing a complete uninstall of both and then installing PD7 first? (Sorry if you've already covered that, I haven't time or inclination to read the entire thread from the top).

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Asus Nvidia GT440 1GB, 2 x Western Digital WD10EARS 1TB, 1 x Seagate ST1000DM010 1TB,
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Fenman(Mike)! How's it goin'?

Okay, I've seen the image you posted, so I'll put this question to you. Did you first create the folder for your earlier PD version(Version 9) before attempting to reinstall that earlier version? As I explained earlier, as soon as I attempted to reinstall PD7 where I already had PD8, the older version's installation disc immediately detected the existence of the (slightly) newer version and told me I should uninstall PD8 first, so, to get around that, should I first create a folder in which I direct the PD7 to be installed and will this prevent the warning to uninstall PD8? I'll leave that one with you. Get back to me anytime.

Cheers!

Neil.
Fenman
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

No, I installed PD9 in 2011, as you can see from the timestamp, and just let the installer create it's own folder. I did exactly the same with PD13 this year.

I think the Shared Files folder was created by the PD13 installer but I can't be 100% certain there wasn't one beforehand.

Looking back through the thread I notice that no-one else has specifically said they have versions earlier than 9 co-existing so I wonder if CL made a change to the installer after PD8. Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Well Mike,

I think that fairly finishes this argument for me. As I attempted to reinstall an earlier version than those you have, then I do not think this will work at all. My now-unused PD is Version 7 Delux(A full version, mind you). The system won't allow these two to live side-by-side and "play nicely with each other like good little children", so I must now content myself with PD8-Ultra and leave it at that.

Thanks, everyone for help and advice but it's time I conceded defeat on this and moved on to other topics.

Cheers!

Neil
Fenman
[Post New]
Neil, one thing that has just occurred to me. I don't know if it's significant but you will notice that my original PD9 installation folder was just titled 'PowerDirector' whereas the later one is 'PowerDirector13'. This suggests that only the later installers append the version number to the folder name. Perhaps the fact that they are named differently explains why they can co-exist. If the installers for PD7 and PD8 both try to install into a folder named 'PowerDirector' that may be the cause of the conflict.

A simple thing to try would be to re-name one of the folders. The only caveat I can think of with doing so is that some registry entries might point to the original name. In that case, as you say, you'd probably have to re-name it back and content yourself with just PD8.

Just a thought.

Edit: Another thought: does the installer give you a choice of where to install? I can't remember but if it does you could try changing the installation folder for PD7.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 05. 2015 13:20

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Mike! Re: your afterthought queston, "Another thought: does the installer give you a choice of where to install? I can't remember but if it does you could try changing the installation folder for PD7". Actually, I don't think it does give me a choice. Upon clicking to install, the first request I get is "language" and the only choice of English is(seemingly) US American English, rather than the oh-so-proper-and-correct variety, you and I speak, Cobber!(ha-ha). After that I get the warning about detection of the other PD version and that I should uninstall it. I think it gets down to the fact that, upon installation, neither PD7 nor PD8 actually append their folders for their particular versions, that's the most likely reason that newer versions can be successfully installed alongside older versions(Hard-drive space allowing) is because PD10 and upwards install themselves into folders so appended for their versions, just as your image showed, PD9's workings were i a folder simply marked as "Power Director" while your PD19 went into a folder so labelled "Power Director 13", but the installation process automatically created the folders in each case...... The thick plottens! Hmmm....

Just as a side question, PiP overlay tracks, how many are there in PD9 as against PD13, and how many extra music tracks are there in each, and how many title(caption) tracks? The reason I asked about the title tracks is because another(3rd party) editing software I have provides for two title tracks which I've learned to use to create very interesting "closing credit" effects.

Cheers for now!

Neil.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 06. 2015 07:32

Fenman
[Post New]
Hi Neil,

Not sure what you mean by PiP overlay tracks. As I understand it PiP overlays are done by placing PiP objects in higher-numbered video tracks. By default both PD9 and PD13 have exactly the same number of tracks: 2 video, 2 audio, 1 effects, 1 title, 1 voiceover and 1 music. Extra video and audio tracks can be added up to 100 of each but no extras of any of the others.

Interestingly I tried to launch both PD9 and PD13 and have them running together to compare them but I got a pop-up saying that I must quit one before starting the other.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 06. 2015 11:00

Regards,
Mike

Home-build system:
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Mike(We gotta stop meeting like this... people might start talking... ha-ha)

By PiP tracks, I mean video overlays where you can add extra video(and audio) to your clip, and not just one, either! PD7 had six overlay tracks, PD8 has 9 of them, it also has two extra music tracks. You call them up by clicking on what looks like two fve-pronged asterisks(large and small "*") with a "+" symbol overlaid. It's just to the right of the selectoricons for storyboard or timeline view(I always use timeline view there, for ease of editing). PD9 may have 10 PIP overlay tracks, and you may find extra title(caption) tracks. I've inserted a screen grab to show you what I mean.

Take a look at your PD8 versions and you'll get a surprise at what you may find!

Cheers!

Neil
 Filename
PD8 Track Manager call-up.bmp
[Disk]
 Description
Bitmap image
 Filesize
3079 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
49 time(s)
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
G'day Mike!

I see you've downloaded the image I sent you, now check your own PD programmes and see what goodies are in store for you!

Cheers!

Neil.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
The number of track in PD14, 13, and 9 is 99 for pip, 100 each for titles and music, in the ultra and ultimate versions. The track manager does not work the way you see it in PD8.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tomasc!

All those extra tracks? WOW! I put a screengrab of my PD8 up for Mike(Fenman) to see, but on reading his last comment more carefully, I'm now aware he knows of the extra tracks available. I have utilised the 9 PiP tracks in my PD8 to create animated titles where each letter of the word in my title(9 letters maximum, of course) has its own motion effect. If I need to put extra words into the title, I have to create separate sequences for each word in my title. This is where PD8 falls down because the image of the letters becomes blurred. This is where reinstalling PD7 would've been useful as title overlays I did(not animated - PD7 only had 6 PiP overlay tracks, not enough to create useful animated titles) would retain their sharpness. I may well be stepping up to PD9 in future, the 99 PiP tracks give me endless ideas for my titling effects, not that anyone would EVER use 99 PiP overlay tracks, but having them available would be useful. For the moment, though, I create each animated word and marry the words together in a third-party video editing programme that has 20 PiP overlay tracks but the animation effects are limited. I use that other programme to superimpose the completed title onto my works, but bring them back to PD8 for any extra additions, like adding music and narration, and final disc authoring(burning).

Cheers!

Neil.