Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Video computer build
acg [Avatar]
Senior Member Joined: Jan 04, 2011 20:47 Messages: 275 Offline
[Post New]
I am looking at the configuration on the right a $2,100. build to use on PD. eed much faster rendering then my comp;utrer will give me.

Any thoughts on the configuration?

hanks,

Alan

[Thumb - video guys.jpg]
 Filename
video guys.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
464 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
74 time(s)
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
What do you have now? My previous machine was AMD Phenom 965 Quad core. I recently built a i7 4770k. I was expecting this i7 to blaze through HD rendering from all the hype. Yes, it's faster than my old machine, but I'm not that impressed so far. I suppose it just depends on your own expectations.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Feb 22. 2014 13:47

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Right now I have a Dell XPS 420.

It has 8GB ram, Intel Core 2 quad processor (2.68ghz speed), SATA drives, USB 3.

I have a personal cloud drive system that I have also set up. From what I am told that will be about as fast as you can get with processing and storage of data. It passes data at netrwork speeds of 1,000gB.

Supposedly the cloud drive connection is almost as fast as Thunderbolt.

Some of this stuff is new to me and just doing resarch to come up with the righ configuration for video rendering.

I have just purchased the new Retro-8 8mm,S8mm film scanner to convert film to AVCHD format for video shows at 1920:1080 resolution so I do need all the rendering power I can get.

Regards,
Alan
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: What do you have now? My previous machine was AMD Phenom 965 Quad core. I recently built a i7 4770k. I was expecting this i7 to blaze through HD rendering from all the hype. Yes, it's faster than my old machine, but I'm not that impressed so far. I suppose it just depends on your own expectations.
Based on my PD12 performance charts, I'd guess about a factor of 2 difference for PD12 produce times for typical H.264 CPU encoding for these two boxes. Are you a lot less than that to feel less than blazed?

Quote: I have a personal cloud drive system that I have also set up. From what I am told that will be about as fast as you can get with processing and storage of data. It passes data at network speeds of 1,000gB.
You mention your "cloud" in many posts, I assume you really have just a home network NAS setup. Cloud storage is really a term for networked enterprise storage where data is stored in virtualized pools and generally hosted by third parties like Dropbox, Google drive, .... The performance of your storage on a typical GbE network with adequate router/switch/hub would be about 70-100MB/sec, essentially that of a low/mid range internal HD. Maybe adequate and surely good for storage, not really a strong editing drive when performance of common drives are in the 130+MB/sec or easily 200+MB/sec for SSD.
What's good for one person really depends what you do with PD and what's typical of the video files you work with. Someone playing with 5min projects of 720x480, 8Mbps video vs someone playing with 120min, 1920x1080 28Mbps are rather different demands. A look at drive performance with PD11 was summarized here, http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/25978.page and should apply to PD12 as well.

Assuming your Dell XPS420 has like a basic Q6700 CPU you'd probably see a factor of about 2.5 reduction for CPU rendering time with PD12 for a typical H.264 HD profile.

Jeff
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
You are right: The router is a gigabit router servicing 10-100 mbs to the switch.

The cloud drive according to WD - is in essence a personal cloud drive (8TB divided into two 4GB mirrored drives (raid 0)serving all computers on the network. I know the cloud according to Apple is a third party service serving computers externally to servers - this is a personal cloud drive only serving my computers connected to my router directly and connected by IP address to all the computers.

The video guys thought it would a almost as fast as the thunderbolt technology.

I would of course use SSD in the computer - thinking may a pair of them.

Can't keep up sith all the changes.

Sounds like you upgraded similiarly to what I am looking at.

Regards,

Alan
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Based on my PD12 performance charts, I'd guess about a factor of 2 difference for PD12 produce times for typical H.264 CPU encoding for these two boxes. Are you a lot less than that to feel less than blazed?
Considering all the hardware 'advances' in the past 5 years, I don't find 2x blazing enough. For the difference in money spent on Intel, I should be getting 4x or more. I think I could have gotten 2x from AMD FX8350 or FX9590 for a lot less.

acg - I installed two SSD drives. One 240GB as boot drive with apps. The second 240GB SSD I have strictly for Windows and App temp files. Control Panel/System/Advanced Settings/Environment Variables. Change TMP and TEMP to the second drive. I also moved the pagefile.sys to the second SSD drive.

When editing video, I copy the source video file(s) to a folder on the second SSD and load that into PD12. Makes a huge difference like thumbnails on the timeline is very quick.

My rig:
Corsair Carbide R500 case
Corsair 850w Gold PSU
ASRock Z87 Formula AC motherboard
i7 4770k CPU
GSkill DDR3 2400 16GB RAM
2 -- Kingston HyperX 240GB SSDs
ATI HD7870 2GB video card
Hitachi 1.5TB internal SATA3 drive
Hitachi 1TB internal SATA2 drive (moved from old machine)
WD 3TB external USB3 drive
LiteOn iHBS112 Bluray burner (moved from old machine)
LG WH14NS40 Bluray burner
PCIe 1394a card to capture from my Canon HV20
Rosewill USB3 internal Memory card reader
Hauppauge DCR-2650 HDTV tuner
The mobo also has Bluetooth and AC Wifi, but I don't use those.

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Feb 22. 2014 22:27

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
I wasn't panning on rendering or editing using the cloud drive. That was all going to happen in the computer using the SSD drives.

My XPS laptop has the tuner etc, i7 processor etc -- bought it for my wife when she was sick at home for awhile. I set it up so she could watch TV, do internet, Netrflix and email from bed. Worked out pretty well for awhile. It has 8GB RAM.

I plan on using that computer for capturing the 8mm/S8mm transferred frames (2 frames per second) from the Retro-8 scanner. Then moving them over to the SSD drives for editing etc . . .

Sure sounds like your thinking is right down my line of thought.

I too was looking at the 240GB SSD drive for the OS, and the second one for the rendering/editing work. Then move results to the cloud drive for safe keeping.

Good thing I am retired - Don't klnow how I would find the time to do all of this if I was still running IT facilities.

I am in IA (retired from CA) don't know where you are at?

regards,

Alan
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I lived in Sacramento CA for over 20yrs. Moved back home to TN to take care of my elderly mom.

You planning to scan film as a business? ; Would be interesting to see how PD12 handles all those files. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Lived at Lake of the Pines 9 miles off Highway 80 at the Auburn area. Wife worked at HP, and I worked as CIO for school system.

See they just announced a Samsung SSD drive - 750GB - 1TB drive $379.

TigerDirect.com [TigerDirect@e.tigerdirect.com]

Right now just doing scanning and productions for friends and family. I do it pro-bono. Don't klnow if there is enough demand to make money off of it.

Scanner is in demand - mine is scheduled to be delivered March 23. It is a new product and new concept in capturing 8mm film

How long in TN?

Regards,

Alan

GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Grew up in East TN. College and Military service, etc 1970-98. I read that Google is buying that huge hanger at the old Moffet Field in Sunnyvale!

I paid good money to get my super 8mm with sound scanned a several years ago and it was only standard definition. My mom has about 1000ft of old 8mm that I've thought about having scanned.

let's us know how you get along with the new PC.

Gary Russell -- TN USA
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
For two years I have been scanning 8mm film in HD the hard way using variable speed 8mm/S8mm projector , into a mirror box at 45 degrees to a white pallette, then picking up the image with a HD Sony Camcorder. Could never get it just right. Too much adjusting. Although the quality was the best I had seen out there it really was not worth the time tryhing for days to get it as good as you could.

This film scanner reads the film (does not use the sprockets in the film) records frame by frame and copies at the AVCHD format and you keep that format all the way through if you want. No flickedring or sync problems and high quality sapture.

When the unit comes in I will let you know and we can make a good production for you.

S8mm had a seperate recorder for audio. You had to sync the video with the audio and the film was marked to start and stop the audio device. My cousin had a S8mm, but no longer had the audio device. All I could do was convert the audio and put an sudio track on the video film. Of cours that way you could not sync it but at least you heard the voices etc. . .

Reards,

Alan
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: S8mm had a seperate recorder for audio. You had to sync the video with the audio and the film was marked to start and stop the audio device. My cousin had a S8mm, but no longer had the audio device. All I could do was convert the audio and put an sudio track on the video film. Of cours that way you could not sync it but at least you heard the voices etc

You can sync a separate audio track to the video in PowerDirector.

It does take a lot of work, but it can be done.

It is a trial and error method, but if you expand the timeline to maximum ( Frame Level ) you can get the lip sync pretty darn close.

You can slide the audio track in relation to the video track to get the sound in sync with the video.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Trial and error is how I worked my way through copying and making decent videos from film. When you get older you don't want to do a lot of trial and error - takes too long and you generally are not very satisfied with the result.

If there are a lot of starts and stops in the audio - I wou ld think it could take forever to try and sync everything. But I know what you are saying. May give it a try when we get the unit.

Sure would like to start building that computer - don't want to use up all my reetirement funds though.

We will be having MAYO Clinic bills now for my wife forever - she is doing fine but had some serious stuff! At least we do not have to sufffer through ObamaCAre (at this point).

The retro-8 scanner was about $2,500.00.

Should have been one of those teachers in CA that get a $350,000/yr retirement check.

IT people don't seem to command those big salaries.

Regards,

Alan

Regards,

Alan
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Sorry to hear about the MAYO Clinic bills.

I suspect that once you have the videos and audio files you will find that the starts and stops may be in sync if the capture works as it should. It depends on how the capture procedure works.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
My cousin had a S8mm film with the separate audio track tape.

After I converted the 2 and got them in the software, I never really tried to sync them up with the software. That is why the forum is so useful, things you don't think about others give you good ideas(or the courage to try new things).

Thanks for your support.
Jimbo223 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Apr 25, 2012 02:59 Messages: 95 Offline
[Post New]
Hi acg,
Quick question re your 8mm films.
How did you keep them from going mouldy?
Did you store them somewhere special or just leave them in their tins?

Would be great to see a short sample of what that Retro can do once you've got it all up and running.
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
Pretty much just kept all the films in their cannisters and out of extreme heat.

I have about 200 reels here to convert and they are all in their original cannisters. If it is good as advertised I may redo some I have already finnished converting the old way.

Send me a seperate email and I will keep them in a file and will send you some samples of the conversions.

adgelhar@earthlink.net
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
You can share large files free at wikisend.com and post link here. I have some old 8mm film that was done a few years ago in SD. Would be much better in HD. From what I've read about the Retro8, it scans at 720p. The software can save in several formats including JPG sequence files. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
What I would do is just make you a copy on a blu-ray disk of some sample produced films and mail it to you.

I am looking forward to seeing the change in quality with no fickering, better resolution, focusing, no syncronization issues.

Alan

Just let me know where to send it at some point. You have the email address.

Alan
acg [Avatar]
[Post New]
An additional thought,

When I do render the videos I do them in the AVCHD format. That I believe is about the best format. The size of the video files will be in the multiple gigabytes - not good for sending back an forth over the internet.

Alan