Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Cannot launch program
Knarf [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 22, 2013 18:05 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
I have downloaded the trial of Powerdirector 12, went through the install wizard with no problems, then when I open the program and click any of the three options on the right side (full feature editor, easy editor, slideshow creator), then click "try now". I get a pop-up saying "CyberLink PowerDirector cannot launch because an important program component is unavailable. Try reinstalling the program.".

I have reinstalled the program, still same thing. Then I uninstalled the program and re-downloaded the file from the cyberlink website, went through the whole downloading/installing process another time, and yet again I keep getting that message.

After receiving the pop-up the program closes.

I do not know what to do as it doesn't appear anything wrong has happened to it when installing it, yet it keeps saying that something is missing. (No I do not know what that missing thing is)

If anyone knows or can help me it would be greatly appreciated,
Thanks
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I have downloaded the trial of Powerdirector 12, went through the install wizard with no problems, then when I open the program and click any of the three options on the right side (full feature editor, easy editor, slideshow creator), then click "try now". I get a pop-up saying "CyberLink PowerDirector cannot launch because an important program component is unavailable. Try reinstalling the program."

Three simple things to try...

Verify that your firewall is not blocking Cyberlink.

Turn off anti-virus software prior to the install attempt.

Reinstall as administrator by right-clicking the install file and clicking "run as administrator."
RobAC [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Mar 09, 2013 18:20 Messages: 406 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Knarf, in addition to what borgus said- if that does not work then:

Can you please post a Dxdiag of your system (see here Part B : http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page)

Also Just a guess- do you have Quicktime installed? (Power Director needs it and should have installed it for you but who knows.)
Open your Taskmanager and see if the Richvideo.exe and/or RichVideo64.exe service is running. Also required by Cyberlink products or else they don't run too well in my experience.

Rob

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 22. 2013 18:41

PD 14 Ultimate Suite / Win10 Pro x64
1. Gigabyte Brix PRO / i7-4770R Intel Iris Pro 5200 / 16 GB / 1 TB SSD
2. Lenovo X230T / 8GB / Intel HD4000 + ViDock 4 Plus & ASUS Nvidia 660 Ti / Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIZw3GPwKMo&feature=youtu.be
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The Trial is supposed to install Quicktime if it is not installed. If you did not allow Quicktime, you should go to Apple and download and install Quicktime. Quicktime is required.

http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

Windows Media Player is required.

RichVideo is required and should be installed by Powerdirector.
It is possible the RichVideo service is not started.

You should check your video card software for the latest update from the Card manufacturer.

You should post the Dxdiag.txt file as requested.

Part B
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/29701.page

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Knarf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the help, however it still has the same as my first message.

*Firewall is not blocking Cyberlink.
*I turned off Anti-virus throughout the whole downloading/installation process.
*I clicked "run as administrator" when installing.
*Quicktime is installed on my computer (up-to-date version).
*Richvideo.exe service is running.
*Windows Media Player is also already installed on my computer.
*My video card's driver is fully updated (pretty sure that's what you meant by software)

Still not sure why its not working.
 Filename
KnarfDxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
44 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
388 time(s)
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Knarf:

Welcome to the PD12 Forum. Sorry to hear about your issues, but I think your computer is running out of resources trying to launch PD12, since you report that you have the latest QuickTime installed.

Your dxdiag file shows only a slow Core Duo processor, a 32-bit OS, only 3 GB of RAM and 0 bytes of dedicated video RAM. Your video driver is dated September 2009, over four years old. Below is the link for the specs for PD12 Deluxe, the least resource-hungry of the PD12 family:

http://www.cyberlink.com/products/powerdirector-deluxe/spec_en_CA.html

While indeed something else could be preventing PD12 from starting, you won't have any joy with that platform editing video, particularly HD video, should you ever get PD12 to launch. Video editing is very, very resource hungry. You need to have a robust computer if you are going to enjoy the experience of editing video and want reasonable burn times.

Sorry to be the author of disappointing news. Hope this helps any ways. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
Knarf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. I tried to download the deluxe one, still the same outcome.

I am fine with the program taking longer (not enjoying the experience as much) I would still like to use it though.

Also I would like to know why it is saying that a component is missing. Would it say that if the computer wasn't able to run it at full capacity? Usually programs don't say that, it is saying it as though somehow something didn't get downloaded with the program.

Do you think my computer would be able to run PowerDirector 11? Also, is 11 similar to 12 (just not as grand?) like the effects, etc.

If anyone knows the answer to the questions, your help is greatly valued.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Also I would like to know why it is saying that a component is missing. Would it say that if the computer wasn't able to run it at full capacity? Usually programs don't say that, it is saying it as though somehow something didn't get downloaded with the program.

Do you think my computer would be able to run PowerDirector 11? Also, is 11 similar to 12 (just not as grand?) like the effects, etc.

If you post a screenshot of the error message, we could look and maybe have some idea what component is missing.

It is most likely saying that some component of Windows that is normally installed is missing or the service is stopped.

You computer is very under powered to edit HD videos.
Powerdirector should start anyway.

One suggestion, try Safe Mode. If powerdirector will start in Safe Mode, something is preventing PD from Running.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2013 15:56

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Knarf [Avatar]
[Post New]
I checked in Safe Mode, when I opened the program it said Richvideo was missing and if I click OK it would open PowerDirector and install it. (note, while not in safe mode RichVideo had already been installed) I clicked ok, then clicked one of the three options on the right of PowerDirector and the effect was still the same as the first post.

I figured to check if aspect ratio 4:3 would work (instead of 16:9 as I have been testing it at), I didn't think it would change anything but figured to check anyways. No it had no affect different from what was stated.

Below is the screenshot of the error message.

Thanks,
Knarf

Edit: when opening Easy Editor or Slideshow Creator I get the first image, when opening Full Feature Editor I get the second image. figured it might be able to help.
[Thumb - KnarfErrorMessage.png]
 Filename
KnarfErrorMessage.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
393 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
329 time(s)
[Thumb - KnarfErrorMessage2.png]
 Filename
KnarfErrorMessage2.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
192 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
284 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 24. 2013 20:54

Carl312
[Post New]
Richvideo is a service that must be running for Powerdirector to work.

Start Button Type in the search box "Task Manager" press Enter.

Click the Services tab look for Richvideo and Richvideo64. look at the status. They both must be running.

You can change the status by right clicking in the status column.

[Thumb - Task manager_Services.jpg]
 Filename
Task manager_Services.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Richvideo
 Filesize
80 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
7466 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 24. 2013 22:37

Knarf [Avatar]
[Post New]
I only have RichVideo running in Services, RichVideo64 is not listed. Shouldn't RichVideo64 only be present if you have Windows 64bit?
borgus1 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2013 00:33 Messages: 1318 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: I only have RichVideo running in Services, RichVideo64 is not listed. Shouldn't RichVideo64 only be present if you have Windows 64bit?

Here, in Windows 8.1 on a 64-bit PC, I show only "Rich Video Module" which, when the branch is expanded, lists "64" only.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I only have RichVideo running in Services, RichVideo64 is not listed. Shouldn't RichVideo64 only be present if you have Windows 64bit?

Richvideo64 is only in 64 Bit Operating Systems. If your OS is 32 bit no Richvideo64.

Location for Powerdirector 12, Richvideo64.exe on my Windows 7 64 bit.
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\Shared files

Location for Richvideo.exe on Windows 7 64 bit.
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\Shared files

You can look in those locations to see if the files are installed.

Knarf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Richvideo.exe is installed.

I use 32bit so I do not have RichVideo64.exe.

I ran an antivirus and malware scan.
The program still is not working properly.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Richvideo.exe is installed.

I use 32bit so I do not have RichVideo64.exe.

I ran an antivirus and malware scan.
The program still is not working properly.

"Richvideo is installed". Does that mean that the servce is running in Task Manager?

If that is true, then I want you to download and install QuickTime
http://www.apple.com/quicktime/download/

I know you said you have Quicktime installed. I have seen posts where Quicktime was installed but not working.

During the install quicktime may ask to Repair or remove the current version. Choose Remove. Then after it is removed, run the installer again.

In those posts, the reinstall of the latest Quicktime fixed the problem.

It does not hurt to try.

Knarf [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes the service Richvideo is running in Services within task manager.

I have re-installed Quicktime (clicking to remove current version, then running the installer again).

The error message is the same.

I know this is taking a long time, thank you for the continuous assistance.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Yes the service Richvideo is running in Services within task manager.

I have re-installed Quicktime (clicking to remove current version, then running the installer again).

The error message is the same.

I know this is taking a long time, thank you for the continuous assistance.

I noticed in KnarfErrorMessage2.png that you posted awhile back that the Speaker Icon has a Red X on it.

Is your sound working on the computer? Sound is one of the necessary components for Power director to work.

Also in KnarfErrorMessage2.png, i see that Powerdirector is open, but you have the error message. What happens if you click OK on the error message? Does Full Feature Editor stay open when you click the OK button on the error message?

I know I am asking a lot of questions, I am just trying to figure out what is wrong on your system that is preventing Powerdirector from working.

If the trial version of Powerdirector 12 does not work before the 30 days is up, the retail version will not work either.
There is not that much difference in the Trial vs Retail.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 26. 2013 12:48

Knarf [Avatar]
[Post New]
When I click OK, the box disappears and the program closes immediately afterwards. This also applies if I click the X.

The X on the speaker is just because I had clicked Mute to not hear any volume. (if I un-mute it it is still the same result)

When I open a video file via "open with" and click Powerdirector, the outcome still remains the same.

I exited out of Malware Bytes anti-malware, avast protection, and advanced systemcare ultimate. The things that are automatically running on my computer. After I opened the powerdirector, it took a little moment more for the error to appear (usually it appears immediately, this time was like 1-2 seconds later.)
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: When I click OK, the box disappears and the program closes immediately afterwards. This also applies if I click the X.

The X on the speaker is just because I had clicked Mute to not hear any volume. (if I un-mute it it is still the same result)

When I open a video file via "open with" and click Powerdirector, the outcome still remains the same.

I exited out of Malware Bytes anti-malware, avast protection, and advanced systemcare ultimate. The things that are automatically running on my computer. After I opened the powerdirector, it took a little moment more for the error to appear (usually it appears immediately, this time was like 1-2 seconds later.)

Powerdirector runs in Safe Mode except you have to manually start Richvideo?

By the way, having to manually start Richvideo in safe mode is normal.

garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Knarf:

I have been watching this thread with interest. Carl has certainly been giving you valuable advice. I note in your most recent post though that you have three anti-virus programs running, and that could be causing huge problems for your computer. I suggest you Google the SystemCare software. It seems to be listed as malware itself.

Running more than one a/v app will usually result in a very, very sluggish computer as the a/vprograms struggle with each other. Try uninstalling all but one of your a/v programs and I would recommend that System Care be one of the removed programs, based on what my Google search revealed.

Then uninstall your PD. Once that is uninstalled, and I hope that you have kept your installer files, then disable your remaining a/v app long enough to install the PD files. I suspect that your computer might be able to launch PD after that. Some a/v apps stop PD from installing correctly.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor