Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Uninstalling PDR6 to reinstall PDR7 - FYI
Wildview [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 25, 2007 14:49 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Just a heads up for those trying to uninstall PDR6 to reinstall PDR7. I actually had to run the Microsoft install clean up software to probably remove the older PDR6 software before I could actually get PDR7 to install probably. The PDR7 installer would crash and would not automatically uninstall the software even with the new uncorrupted install build.

Just FYI…
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

You should never try and install a new version of PD over an old version

The old version should be uninstalled first, look at the following link for the correct method to uninstall

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/2405.page

PART C

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Wildview [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I agree however, your PDR7 software should take of this for you, but in my case the complimently uninstall process failed for a GP fault during the PDR7 automatic uninstall process and it screwed up the PDR6 uninstaller. In fact, It wouldn't even uninstall from the control panel. Therefore, one has no choice but to uninstall it manually with the clean up util. This is all was indicating.

I wonder how long this software was tested prior to it’s release. Wow, it’s not very stable. This is good software too, I'm really bummed out that it has so many problems.

Robert
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

PowerDirctor 7 successfully uninstalled version 6 for me on two different computers without any problems...and version 7 is running very well for me currently.

Must be a specific issue with your computer setup that caused this problem, since this is the first time this issue was raised and is "stable" on most people's computers. A QA department is not capable of testing the hundreds of possible potential configurations to ensure it works for everyone. They do their best though...

Dave
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

I was unable to uninstall PD6 and even a clean up util. did not work, in the end the only way I could remove it was to reinstall Windows XP.

Power Director should not have a complementary uninstall process, it can cause too many problems. In my experiance the only way is to completely remove the old version first.

PD7 was sent to approx. 45 Power Director users around the world for Beta testing and many of the problems encountered during testing were rectified, agreed, PD7 still has many issues to be resolved and Cyberlink are working on them, if you identify a problem, please post it on the forum, so that we can try to replicate it, then forward it to Cyberlink R & D for resolution.

I have found PD7 to be reasonably stable, there are still some issues which a group of Beta testers are currently trying to resolve with Cyberlink

I wonder how long this software was tested prior to it’s release. Wow, it’s not very stable. This is good software too, I'm really bummed out that it has so many problems.

So post your problems

Robert

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 19. 2008 22:52

Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Wildview [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

I was on the list to be a Beta Tester and I which I would have had the time to do it. I’m a software developer too and I use the Cyberlink V6 software almost daily and it’s way faster to get a production created then all the others out there. I sure which PDR7 would have worked for me.

I was hoping for a resolution on the menutemplateio.dll GP fault problem I posted earlier, since I can’t use the create disk feature at all without a crash. I’m probably just going ask for a refund and try the new version in the future when all the bugs are worked out.

Attached is the GP fault I was seeing with the installer, I sent this to Dafydd already too. I thought it was related to the corrupted installer problem, but even the correct install failed on both of my machines trying to uninstall V6.

Thanks,
Robert
[Thumb - PDR_7_uninstall_error.JPG]
 Filename
PDR_7_uninstall_error.JPG
[Disk]
 Description
Uninstall Error - Failed on 2 different machines.
 Filesize
13 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
184 time(s)
Milan [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: May 14, 2008 06:53 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Got the same problem w/PD6 and used CCleaner to uninstall and clean registry (you can download it free from hippo.com)-cleaned everything perfect...