Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PowerDVD Ultra 8 (& 7) won't play the Star Wars blu-rays (UK)
RockO2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 21, 2010 07:44 Messages: 28 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello,
we will provide a fix for PowerDVD 10 and 11 to address this issue.

Br
Michael

Will you also provide a fix for Power 9,8,7 as well ?
Cekim1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 04:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
I guess it's good that others are raising this issue and it'll cause Cyberlink will do the right thing and provide a fix.

I've also been in touch with support through a support ticket (on 2011/09/12) and "Aryan" ask the same questions as has been asked of others. I've supplied everything asked for (on 2011/09/13) but have yet to receive a reply.

I also don't see why there should not be a fix supplied for both version 7 and 8. I've paid for both pieces of software so that I can play films on all blu-ray discs, not selected ones.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 16. 2011 02:23

RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
agree
DomDomBear [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 13, 2011 16:46 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
I totaly agree, you pay all the money out for a blu ray player, that is ment to play blu rays, then they go........."oh yeah, by the way, you'll have to buy another one to play that blu ray" it is just wrong. And also sound be agasit the Trade Descriptions Act of 1968 (If you live in the UK)
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
agasit the Trade Descriptions Act of 1968 (If you live in the UK) I agree with that post.. If they do not Fix it then they should give us a free powerDVD 10.. Beacuse say if a nother film came out on Blu-ray then they are going to have the same problems over again.
stevebow [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 06:40 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Just to confirm I have the same problem with PowerDVD 9, and using the current AnyDVD to strip out the protection allowed PowerDVD to play the disks fine.
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yeah, if they don't give us a patch, they'll have to give us a newer program, or it is just bad on thier part, like I said, 'here is a blu ray player, which won't play them all'

in reply to the AnyDVD thing, that is all well and good, but why should I pay for another progam just to make my orgainl program do what it is built to do. I know there is a 21 trail period, but after the 21 days what then

it is just silly,

They need to make a patch, or give us a newer program, and hurry up, I want to watch my FILMS!
Cekim1 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 04:11 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
They need to make a patch, or give us a newer program, and hurry up, I want to watch my FILMS!

You would think that anyone who produces software/firmware to play blu-ray discs would have advanced knowledge of upcoming releases (i.e. the Star Wars blu-rays) way before the consumers actually get their hands on them so any changes that may be required to play them are made well in advance so that when the consumers do get the new releases, they can be played without a problem.

I've had my Star Wars set for a week now and can't play them

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 16. 2011 14:00

DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I know how you feel, it is really lapse on thier part.

I'm thinking of just going all out and buying a PS3 with all the blu ray crap you can get on it.......

It will proably quicker and more hassle free then these.

they arn't replying to my support questions now

really miffing me off
Andreas [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 25, 2011 13:46 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Same here, but in PowerDVD ver. 10. Why is blu-ray so full of problems???
millerz [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 11, 2011 05:07 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
OK so I've tried that anydvd trial and can confirm that it solves the problem. Blu rays run perfectly so it's definitely a software issue which need to be resolved.

They've said they will be releasing a fix for powerdvd 10 & 11 but what about those of us using older versions? Are we basically being told that we'll need to pay for another version of the software to get these films working?
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I jsut had a reply from a long message I sent explaing the problem and that other people are having the same issues and they should do a patch

my reply was just a cut and paste of the message he sent me last time

I am not happy
caseking123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 16, 2011 23:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
BUMP, BUMP, BUMP. We should not have to pay for version 11 when version 8 ultra was advertised as having blu ray support. You know that it is your responsibility to take care of you PAYING customers!!!!!!!!!!!!!
DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm giving up on power dvd now, I've used it for years, had some problems with HD DVD which they said they would sort, but never did (back when people still had HD DVD) and now this

I'm going out tommrow to buy a ps3........I'm going to play my blu rays on that, I'm fed up with cyberlink now
nagpig12 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 14, 2008 22:04 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
My approach is that cyberlink are preventing me from accessing my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware. I would have reasonably expected them to anticipate their users would want to play this realease (in their droves). I am therefore going to request compensation for the time thst I am not able to access my legimately purchased blu ray hardware. My compensation request will be in relation to each hour I am not able to access my hardware. I suggest anyone else in the UK take the same approach. I also hope that a senior member of Cyberlink staff who is familiar with UK consumer protection law is monitoring this forum, or that the technicians dealing with this pass the issue on to someone who is- see below:

Hi,

When I try and play the new Star Wars Blu Ray, I get a message saying my software needs playing and directing me to your site (cyberlink.con/bdupdate). However, this informs me that my software is up to date and wishes me a pleasant evening watching my movie. This is unacceptable- I have never had a blu ray disc that refuses to play before.
Please can you advise me of a solution that will enable me to access my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware by return? My drive firmware is up to date, before you ask. If a soution is not forthcoming I will seek compensation for every hour that I am not able to access my legitimately purchased blu ray hardware in accordance with UK consumer protection law in relation to fitness for purpose of products. I will start logging your response time from 23:00hrs on Sunday 18th Sept. I am aware that you already know there is a problem and suprised you let an issue like this occur in relation to a "must buy" release such as star wars.

regards

DomDomBear [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is very good,

I hope something gets done, PLEASE keep us informed Mr nagpig12

Great job!
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: My approach is that cyberlink are preventing me from accessing my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware. I would have reasonably expected them to anticipate their users would want to play this realease (in their droves). I am therefore going to request compensation for the time thst I am not able to access my legimately purchased blu ray hardware. My compensation request will be in relation to each hour I am not able to access my hardware. I suggest anyone else in the UK take the same approach. I also hope that a senior member of Cyberlink staff who is familiar with UK consumer protection law is monitoring this forum, or that the technicians dealing with this pass the issue on to someone who is- see below:

Hi,

When I try and play the new Star Wars Blu Ray, I get a message saying my software needs playing and directing me to your site (cyberlink.con/bdupdate). However, this informs me that my software is up to date and wishes me a pleasant evening watching my movie. This is unacceptable- I have never had a blu ray disc that refuses to play before.
Please can you advise me of a solution that will enable me to access my legitimately purchased Blu Ray hardware by return? My drive firmware is up to date, before you ask. If a soution is not forthcoming I will seek compensation for every hour that I am not able to access my legitimately purchased blu ray hardware in accordance with UK consumer protection law in relation to fitness for purpose of products. I will start logging your response time from 23:00hrs on Sunday 18th Sept. I am aware that you already know there is a problem and suprised you let an issue like this occur in relation to a "must buy" release such as star wars.

regards

RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After sending all the information that they asked from me about my computer Box set and Player i am using.. PowerDvD 9 i have still not hear anythink from them... And want make me laugh is my computer passed all the testeds. lol
nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I'm glad I have a cheap blu Ray player stashed.....bought from a supermarket for £40. Plays the discs and doesn't require all this nonsense. Which is why (whatever happens), there is no way I will be paying to upgrade. Actually, I was toying with the idea of getting the latest PDVD software for this boxed set, but since this issue has arisen, I'm not sure I want to grace cyberlink with my money.
RockO2 [Avatar]
[Post New]
i can understand that beacuse £60 is a lot of money to get 10 & 11 when u all ready have a good Cyberlink Plyer.
But when i tryed the trial for AnyDvD it worked fine, But when i unstaill it and loaded the player back up again it came
with the same information again..

Sorry from when i was at school my spelling and grammar never been that good.
nagpig12 [Avatar]
[Post New]
No worries....I know what you are sayin' ;