Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD11 and MPEG2 bitrates
GGRussell [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Jan 08, 2012 11:38 Messages: 709 Offline
[Post New]
I'm not getting the quality I'm used to with other software. I noticed the final .VOB files created by PD11 DVD HQ were only 4MB/s bitrate. What's up with that?

So I decided to Produce an MPEG2 file and set it to DVD HQ 8MB/s output. The final MPEG2 was only 5.2MB/s!!! Even if PD was using VBR encoding, the final bitrate should not be this low. I'm beginning to regret this purchase. The quality just isn't there. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
PD has some limitations to create DVD-Video, the best quality is only possible with only 1 hour.
More than 1 hour is lowered the bitrate and resolution. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
SSD SUV400S37240G / 2-HD WD 1TB
AMD Radeon R9 270 / AOC M2470SWD
Windows 7-64 / PD16 Ultimate
[Post New]
5,2 MB/s is a very high coding speed
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I was rendering a ONE MINUTE clip! If I set PD11 to render at 8mbps, then that is exactly what I expect the final output to be. NOTHING ELSE!

I purchased PD11 ONLY because it supposedly has fast rendering, but what good is fast rendering if the quality isn't there?

I found the problem and it is DEFINITELY the fast render technology at fault. I set PD11 to produce the file at DVD HQ 720x480 8Mbps. Once with Fast Render Technology ON and once with it OFF.

Fast render on: 3,331Kbps very poor quality especial diagonal lines
Fast render off: 8,037Kbps much better quality

So I guess I'll just sell this copy since the 'fast rendering' is really misleading. Any software can render faster at lower bitrates.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2013 08:47

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Garry,

Do you have the Ultra version? The Deluxe version doesn't use the 64 bit processing so it is slower than the Ultra on 64 bit computers. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, I have the 64bit Ultra version. At this point, I'm not worried about speed as I am quality. I thought PD11 had both, but I was wrong. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
[Post New]
Quote: I was rendering a ONE MINUTE clip! If I set PD11 to render at 8mbps, then that is exactly what I expect the final output to be. NOTHING ELSE!

I purchased PD11 ONLY because it supposedly has fast rendering, but what good is fast rendering if the quality isn't there?

I found the problem and it is DEFINITELY the fast render technology at fault. I set PD11 to produce the file at DVD HQ 720x480 8Mbps. Once with Fast Render Technology ON and once with it OFF.

Fast render on: 3,331Kbps very poor quality especial diagonal lines
Fast render off: 8,037Kbps much better quality

So I guess I'll just sell this copy since the 'fast rendering' is really misleading. Any software can render faster at lower bitrates.

In Produce, MPG2 you choose "HQ" will have 8 kbps, bitrate.720x480
Create DVD in HQ too.
If connected SVRT have the same characteristics of the original video, I guess this is your case AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
NO SVRT is greyed out. I was using Hardware Video Encoder which uses my Radeon card. The results is NOT "HQ 8Mbps".

If I uncheck 'Fast Video Rendering Tecnology', then the video is down converted to 8Mbps like it should. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: NO SVRT is greyed out. I was using Hardware Video Encoder which uses my Radeon card. The results is NOT "HQ 8Mbps".

If I uncheck 'Fast Video Rendering Tecnology', then the video is down converted to 8Mbps like it should.

This is a known problem in Powerdirector.

The cure is as you have found is to uncheck the Fast rendering Technology. Sure, it takes a bit longer to produce, but the quality of the output is far better.

It is not any different in other Video Editing Software, the quality of the output is dependant on the Codec used for encoding.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Quote: NO SVRT is greyed out. I was using Hardware Video Encoder which uses my Radeon card. The results is NOT "HQ 8Mbps".

If I uncheck 'Fast Video Rendering Tecnology', then the video is down converted to 8Mbps like it should.

Here I do not use "Hardware Video Encoder" for MPEG2 SD, he reverses the interlacing and flicker in the image, nor had watched the issue of low bitrate. AMD-FX 8350 / 8GB DDR3
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Carl - if I had know there was an issue, I wouldn't have purchased. All the other software that I have uses the Main Concept codecs which has always produced excellent output.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 11. 2013 14:48

Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thanks Carl - if I had know there was an issue, I wouldn't have purchased. All the other software that I have uses the Main Concept codecs which has always produced excellent output.

Powerdirector can produce top quality DVD and BluRay Disks, you just do not use the Fast rendering Technology.

Powerdirector's Fast rendering Technology is actually the Video Card's Graphics processor and software. The quality of the output is dependant on the Graphic card's Technology.

When you uncheck Fast rendering Technology, Powerdirector then uses its built in Codec and the CPU for rendering.

The blame for a bad render is the Graphic Card and Software. When you use Fast rendering Technology.

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I don't buy that. The quality is directly related to the output bitrate. When I select DVD HQ 8Mbps, the graphics card shouldn't have any trouble doing that. It's obvious that PD isn't setting or sending the correct bitrate to the graphics card software or utilizing the card efficently.

While rendering, I use AMD's system monitor. It shows CPU and GPU activity. GPU activity during render was only 20-30% and CPU activity on all four cores averaged 85%. So PD was still doing a lot of computations. I've used AMD's own transcoder for certain formats and the quality is excellent.

The fault here is clear (to me). TrueVelocity 3 is just a marketing gimmick.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 11. 2013 23:29

Gary Russell -- TN USA
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi GGRussell ,
Please provide a screenshot of your project in the Edit Workspace. See guide, part E & F. I'm interested to see the make up/breakdown of your project contents. I may ask for additional information which I hope you can provide.

If possible please provide a diagnostic file as well, Part A & B in the guide: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/24771.page

Dafydd
GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
I recorded 'The Making of Defiance' off SyFy 30min program in hidef. I wanted to down convert the .WTV to standard definition so my sister could watch it.

For testing purposes, I simply split a 1 minute clip from it. no further editing. Directly to Produce, DVD HQ output twice with and without Fast Render.

I got my answer so I see no reason for further testing. Thank you

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2013 10:07

Gary Russell -- TN USA
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: I recorded 'The Making of Defiance' off SyFy 30min program in hidef. I wanted to down convert the .WTV to standard definition so my sister could watch it.

For testing purposes, I simply split a 1 minute clip from it. no further editing. Directly to Produce, DVD HQ output twice with and without Fast Render.

I got my answer so I see no reason for further testing. Thank you

So what was your answer, With or Without Fast Render?

GGRussell [Avatar]
[Post New]
Works as expected without fast render. But i purchased PD11 because of fast render which is disappointing. Intel i7 4770k, 16GB, GTX1060 3GB, Two 240GB SSD, 4TB HD, Sony HDR-TD20V 3D camcorder, Sony SLT-A65VK for still images, Windows 10 Pro, 64bit
Gary Russell -- TN USA
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
May I stick my shell in here for a moment? I just want to mention to GCRussell, one thing you'll get here is all these nice people popping in to help. If PD becomes part of your arsenal, I think you'll find we all mostly get along here and it's a decent bunch of folks. You can't buy that. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Works as expected without fast render. But i purchased PD11 because of fast render which is disappointing.

Fast render is the last of the reasons I buy Powerdirector.
My first reason is familiarity, I have been using Powerdirector since PD 7 which was released in 2008.

Ease of use, also because I have been using Powerdirector for a long time.
This forum is a good reason, there are many helpful people on the forum. Some real experts in here using Powerdirector.
The tutorials on Youtube. Great source for learning the tools.

To me, easy editing of any video I want to edit.
I would not buy Powerdirector because of the free royalty free music, but is nice to have direct access.

More reasons than I can think of now. Fast Rendering is not one of them.

I have a greater complaint about the upload speed of my Internet connection. It takes a long time (over an hour or two) to upload a 10 minute 720P video to Youtube.

The render time to make that video is somewhere in the order of 10 minutes to maybe a half hour. I rarely measure the time.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 12. 2013 22:20

stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Just to put my 2 cents worth in. I am very familiar with other video editing programs that have essentially the same functions as found in Power Director. The one reason that I bought it was because it was touted as the fastest video editing program (64 bit) at a reasonable price. I had a couple of earlier versions of the program that were OK but nothing fantastic.

Since I bought it for speed - and many people do, then getting poor quality would be a very good reason to return it even though I get the speed.

Unlike Garry, I get reasonable quality video and seldom use SVRT.; it is still faster than the 32 bit software that I use . By the way, that also has a fast render function built in and the ability to select to use the video card or the software to render.

Some people buy cars on styling, some on options, and some on speed but they all want quality in every aspect. !

BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.