Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Title Template---Change duration
garycahn [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 09, 2013 17:14 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
How do I change the duration of a title template that I've created?

How do I change the background color of the title template?

Thanks
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: How do I change the duration of a title template that I've created?

How do I change the background color of the title template?

Thanks

After you have added the custom title to the title track, (select it) click the Duration button on top of the timeline and set your duration. You can also drag the end of the title to change its length.

The background of a title is normally transparent and takes on the color of the visible video track above the title.

The exception to that rule is if the Title has its own background and is not transparent. If the case of a title with a non transparent background, you can only change that color with a photo editor or maybe by applying Chroma Key.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 09. 2013 20:28

garycahn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks very much for your reply.

Re: changing the duration of a Title Template.....I plan to use one Title template over and over again. Each time I use the Title Tempalte I plan on changing just one or two words. Your method for changing duration requires that I go to the Timeline view, and change the duration each time I insert the Title template.

Isn't there a way I can change the duration of the Title template one time when I first create it. That way it will be the correct duration prior to my inserting it onto the timeline view?

Thanks for your help.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Gary -

A couple of things:

1. The title templates don't have a particular duration - they are inserted into your timeline at the duration you've set in Preferences > Editing > Title

2. To re-use a template (already formatted) and make only minor changes, the easiest thing to do is copy & paste in the timeline.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
garycahn [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks. That's a huge help.
anthrax442 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 28, 2019 21:12 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Gary -

A couple of things:

1. The title templates don't have a particular duration - they are inserted into your timeline at the duration you've set in Preferences > Editing > Title

2. To re-use a template (already formatted) and make only minor changes, the easiest thing to do is copy & paste in the timeline.

Cheers - Tony

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just wanted say thank you for 1. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to set the duration for title templates.
garycahn [Avatar]
[Post New]

I know this is an ancient thread, but I just wanted say thank you for 1. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out how to set the duration for title templates.

I'm happy to hear it was helpful
Gary
ChattyWalks23 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 20, 2022 07:29 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

Same here! It might help if this can be done in each individual template, as depending on the scene, I might want them longer or shorter.

One question - in the Text Only titles, Backdrop 03 (PowerDirector 365), does anyone know if there is a way to change the background colour from green? I would like mine to be purple!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You're free to set any individual title to any length you want. Simply drag the starting/ending edge of the title on the timeline or click on the Duration tool (clock icon) and type in the desired duration.

You can also change the fixed color of any timeline item by dragging the Replace Color FX directly onto the title on the timeline. Next, click on Effect and then Select Color to choose the color you'd like to replace and then set Replace Color, like this:

ChattyWalks23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You're free to set any individual title to any length you want. Simply drag the starting/ending edge of the title on the timeline or click on the Duration tool (clock icon) and type in the desired duration.

You can also change the fixed color of any timeline item by dragging the Replace Color FX directly onto the title on the timeline. Next, click on Effect and then Select Color to choose the color you'd like to replace and then set Replace Color, like this:

Thank you for going to the trouble of posting this. I have looked online and researched videos, but cannot find 'Replace Color FX'. Could you direct me to the correct menu for it? I also don't have the 'Effect' 'Tools' and 'Keyframe' tabs above my timeline that appear in your screenshot (I'm using PD 365, installed in December). With the only editing programme I have ever used being Windows Movie Maker, it's a bit of a learning curve! Thanks again.
ChattyWalks23 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote You're free to set any individual title to any length you want. Simply drag the starting/ending edge of the title on the timeline or click on the Duration tool (clock icon) and type in the desired duration.

OK, with the help of a teen, I found the color replace, but we can't get it to save the color choice, it simply returns to the previous one!
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote OK, with the help of a teen, I found the color replace, but we can't get it to save the color choice, it simply returns to the previous one!

I'm sorry you're still having difficulty. I'm not sure what's happening when you say you can't get it to save the color choice. Once you've selected the color and chosen the replacement color, the change is automatically saved and applied to the entire clip. You will need to repeat this process if you want to replace the color on multiple clips on your timeline.

It might help if your teenage helper could make a screen recording using the built-in ScreenRecorder app showing what's happening on your end. The recording can then be uploaded here directly by using the Attachments button below the forum's text box.
ChattyWalks23 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I'm sorry you're still having difficulty. I'm not sure what's happening when you say you can't get it to save the color choice. Once you've selected the color and chosen the replacement color, the change is automatically saved and applied to the entire clip. You will need to repeat this process if you want to replace the color on multiple clips on your timeline.

It might help if your teenage helper could make a screen recording using the built-in ScreenRecorder app showing what's happening on your end. The recording can then be uploaded here directly by using the Attachments button below the forum's text box.

Thank you so much, I appreciate all the support In the end, I've gone down the path of least resistance and chosen a different template!

There is one other question and then I'll disappear forever! I am using PD for my YouTube channel where I post walks of around 30-40 minutes, give or take 10 minutes. Under grey London skies or at times when shadows are long, and using an Osmo Pocket for filming in 4k, lighting can be problematic as skies may be clear blue but deep in the shadows no colour is visible. I paid for PD in order to brighten up the video and reduce darkness but have come across an unexpected problem. (BTW, PD 365 is pretty good overall for a beginner.) If I render out a 4k 30-minute video, it takes around 35 minutes to render. If I just add a 'bright' effect from the fx menu, the render time goes up to 4-5 hours. I've used Corel previously and not had this experience - I usually use one of their LUT profiles. Do you have any advice for reducing the render time, given it increases by 6-8 times with a brightening effect added? Thanks again! And sorry for the questions!
optodata
[Post New]
No worries on asking questions. Take a look at this recent post for more info on color grading: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/96553.page#post_box_388275

An option in your case might be to do everything else in PD and produce it, then run it through Corel if it's able to apply LUTs more quickly.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 30. 2022 15:48