Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Unable to create a menu button without a thumbnail
Willie.747 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: New York Joined: Apr 02, 2013 15:51 Messages: 9 Offline
[Post New]
I want to create a title/chapter menu with up to 10 buttons but without thumbnails but menu designer does not want to let me. The documentation says it can be done "if the template allows it". The Set Object Properties does not let me set any of the properties.
Basically, I want a root menu with Play and Scenes buttons and then the Scenes button navigate to a chapter menu with up to 10 chapters per menu and no thumbnails (I have never liked thumbnails). Also, is there a way of having a thumbnail which does not play the video (remains static?)
For the last 6 years I have been using Adobe Premier and Encore, but I now have a camera which produces HD mpeg 4 video and my Encore does not handle it, so that is why I purchased PowerDirector 11. I did not realize how limited it's menu creation capabilities are compared to Encore.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Willie -

One of these templates might suit your purposes. They're both essentially the same but with different button layouts. Each has 10 chapter buttons and no thumbnails...

http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124374502
http://directorzone.cyberlink.com/detail/124374504

This tutorial about creating & modifying menu templates in PD might help you with some of the basics http://youtu.be/rGCM_Vs4O-M

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Willie.747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks Tony.

Your menu templates worked perfectly! I even experimented adding another project stream so that there were two titles along with chapters in each and everything worked like I thought it should. Some day in my spare time I might inquire as to how you created the templates, but for now the important thing is that I have them.

Thanks for the quick response. All the best to you.

Willie
Willie.747 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tony,
I have been using the menu templates with chapter buttons and no thumbnails and I have two questions you might be able to answer. First, the appearance of the buttons when displayed on the TV are clear when using a BluRay player, but whenever I try to use a standard DVD player, the buttons are very hazy and hard to tell which is highlighted. This happened on 3 different DVD players. Second, every time a menu with the buttons is displayed, the buttons are non-selectable for the first second or two, then the screen blinks and they can be selected. This also happens each time I move my selection. Really slows down the operation.

Willie
Longedge [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 28, 2011 15:38 Messages: 1504 Offline
[Post New]
It's of no comfort to you but menus in PD are a nightmare. Apart from being clunky, restrictive and counter-intuitive, in my experience they also cause other parts of the software to fail e.g. disc burning in a way that cannot be tracked down easily.

hnugent [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 28, 2013 16:40 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Looks like they removed your templates.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi hnugent -

No "they" didn't remove them. I did. An issue came up where PD users were having repeated crashes when trying to edit them, so I thought it best to put them in storage till the problem could be resolved.

Here's one of the threads where it was discussed... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/15/30641.page#168569

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!