CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Questions About Menus
Reply to this topic
garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]

Good day all. Sorry to expose my ignorance. I have watched the PDToots tutorial on "Menu Making". Very well done. Watching it, I see that the author (Tony?) has a lot of existing menus when he selects Create Disk, Menu Preferences. I have only one menu - the ugly monopoly one, other than my custom menus. Are there no more 4:3 menus; and, if so, how do I get them? I have got "All Templates" selected. I have PD11 Ultimate and did download and install both content packs and the special additional Holiday 4 pack, if I remember correctly.

I have been to DZ, but I don't find a single 4:3 menu. In PD9 and PD10, I made great use of the boring, but very appropriate, Memory Box menu, particularly for converting home VHS movies to DVD for folks. Since most of my contracts entail digitalizing and editing 4:3 VHS and Hi8 movies, the lack of selection of 4:3 menu templates is a problem and forces me to make custom templates for virtually every project as I refuse to use the default monopoly menu.

Any help would be appreciated. Embarassed to ask really, because the answer is probably quite simple, but the Help file isn't at all helpful. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9795 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Phil -

You're right to think there's something missing! The first answer any of us would jump to is incorrect/failed Content Packs installation... but you're quite sure that's been done.

I have to admit, Phil, the way menus are filed in PD's various folders has totally confounded me since PD9! I posted about it here in the forums, but (apparently) everyone else was as confused as I (or is it me?). I can't find the thread through "Search" but it had no answers anyway.

EDIT: Found this via Google in about 10 seconds, after spending 15 minutes trying to squeeze information out of the forum search facility... http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20486.page

Right now, I have PD9, PD10 & PD11 installed on my PC. There are menu templates all over the place The PD11 Menu Templates Library displays all the templates from PD9,10 & 11 plus downloaded & customised ones. On top of that, there are various "extra" packs (holiday, romance etc). That's what you would have seen in the toot.

Do you still have previous versions installed? Whether yes or no, your library should contain more than one template!

Phil - have a check in these file locations. See what's there...
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\PowerDirector11\Menus - 16 menu templates (folders) here
C:\Program Files (x86)\CyberLink\templates - PD10 Contents packs, Holiday & Romance packs here
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector10\Menus - one lonely Monopoly men here
C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector\Menus - 7 menu templates from PD9 here...

In any case, Phil, it sounds like you need to reinstall the content pack from the installer file.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2013 14:55

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9795 Offline
[Post New]
Phil -

Just a couple of extra thoughts...

1. Unlike other DZ "effects", menu templates aren't precious about whether they're applied to 16:9 or 4:3 projects - you may find you need to tweak the button/label placement so they don't overlap. PD will alert you before you burn.

2. DirectorZone is a funny beast! Right now, if I go to DZ via my browser and select DVD Menus, it shows a total of 25! If I go in through PD, ther are 6638. Yeh, right.

3. If you have the PD11 Ultimate installer files, Content Pack 1 contains "Premium" (3 menu templates) & Content Pack 2 contains "Essential" (11 menu templates). The main installer file for PD11 contains the "Monopoly" menu. That gives a bit of a clue!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2013 15:46

garioch7
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 851 Offline
[Post New]
Tony:

Thanks for your quick response. I only have PD11 installed on my computer. The first and last folders that you suggested do not exist on my computer, so those menu templates are missing in action. I did find the x86 menu folder (the second folder in your list), but my PD11 does not see those templates and I can't figure out how to point PD11 to that folder. As I said, all I have is the monopoly menu, period, displaying in PD11, apart from my custom menus.

I do have a full version of PD9 on my laptop. It has some menus. Can I just create duplicate those laptop folders on my main computer and will PD11 find the PD9 templates if I do so?

Which content pack do I need to uninstall/reinstall? Revo is showing me two content packs installed (Essential and Premium). There appears to be no "Repair" option. Uninstall/reinstall one or both, or should I take the entire PD11 out with Revo and start afresh?

And do you have any idea where all of the DZ 4:3 menus have disappeared to?

I am scheduled to be away tomorrow and will be gone for the day, weather permitting - snowstorm in the forecast and if it materializes, I will stay put, so if you don't hear from me tomorrow, I am definitely NOT ignoring you. I am grateful for any and all assistance that you can provide. I am glad that I was correct in my assumption that there should be more menu templates than that awful monopoly one.

Thanks again, Tony. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
garioch7
[Post New]
Tony:

Thanks for your additional email. I was responding when you wrote your second email.

Sounds like I should, as a minimum uninstall and reinstall both PD11 content packs?

The next time I upgrade, I am going to be very careful about preserving the menus I use frequently. I am somewhat frustrated having to create custom menus for every project now, when there are perfectly good menus out there somewhere.

Thanks for the tip about 16:9 menus being mostly compatible with 4:3 projects. That is VERY valuable information.

If you could share your expertise on the other questions I asked in my previous email, I will be in your debt even further than I already am for the invaluable help that you have provided to me these last few years.

Have a great day, Tony, and thanks again.

Best Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
ynotfish
[Post New]
Phil -

You have the original installer files for the contents packs? CL.120711_ContentP_PCP120712-01 and CL.120711_ContentP_PCP120712-02

Oh - and the Holiday pack!

I'd just reinstall those.

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 19. 2013 15:57

James1
Senior Contributor Private Message Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
Another thing to add to what Tony says..is some times Pd11 doesn't pick up previous version templates right away, you may have to do a cold reboot, or a refresh from within PD (your custom menus are in Custom folder I guess you know that, and some templates are only shwonas per aspect ratio being used)
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
garioch7
[Post New]
Thanks Tony and James. Yes, I have kept my original installer files safe on a backup drive, so I will uninstall all of the content packs and Holiday pack and reinstall.

Thanks for the advice. I will report back once that has been done. Might not be today - the forecast snowstorm may not be as bad as predicted and my wife has an appointment with her doctor over an hour away, and then some other errands, so the rest of today could be a lost cause, if we decide to travel.

Have a great day, and thanks again.

Best Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
garioch7
[Post New]
Good day again. That went faster than expected. After uninstalling and reinstalling all of the packs, I now have 24 menu templates, including my much formerly used "Memory Box."

I am guessing that I am now good to go. Something, somehow, must have wiped out my originally installed menus - probably the infamous Chair-To-Keyboard Interface (CTKI) error!

Thank you, Tony and James, for helping me out. Now I must study further your Menu Making Toot. I was wondering why I could not apply font faces universally to a modified template. It seems labour intensive to have to click on each text string, but I see from your toot that was the step I was missing. I am sure that I shall discover many more secrets. Thank you Tony, for that Toot and all of the others.

Have a great day.

Best Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Reply to this topic