Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Timeline "video space" black....
Scott61 [Avatar]
Member Location: Wichita, KS Joined: Aug 20, 2011 04:43 Messages: 126 Offline
[Post New]
Had to reinstall OS Win. 7 64bit, and reinstall PD10. Original video, and projects, backed up on external drive. Have moved all to computer hard drive. When I open the project all title pages and transitions, etc. are there, but where the timeline for video is black.

How do I get the video to show up on the time line? (Just thinking, I may not have yet transferred the actual project to hard drive? but would this affect my issue?)

Thanks,
Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
garioch7
Senior Contributor Location: Port Hood, Nova Scotia, Canada Joined: Feb 07, 2011 06:45 Messages: 852 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott61. A black timeline indicates that PD10 cannot locate your video files. You will need to move them to your working directory or point PD10 to where they are located, preferably on your hard drive. Your .pds project file just contains instructions, not the actual project audio and video/image clips. Reimport them to your media library if you have to and then they should appear on your timeline.

Hope this helps. Have a great day.

Regards,
-Phil Windows 10 Pro x64
Dell XPS 8930
Intel CoreT i7 (4.6 GHz)
32 GB DDR4-2666 RAM
1 TB PCIe -x4 SSD
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060
PD14 Ultimate x64, 4207
CD4 Ultra and AD6 Ultra
Bleeping Computer Malware Response Instructor
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott,
Yes if you have moved the videos from original location to new HD the PD would know, but you should (may) get a message to search for the files..if not just bring the clips back into library and add to 'timeline'. Packed projects only pack the videos (transition etc) in the timelines, NOT the videos in the library.
Power director writes a script of the location for the videos in timeline and transitions effects applied for the project not a copy of the videos
Jim

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 06. 2012 12:19

Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Visit GranPapa64's channel for your YouTube experience of the day!
victchow2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2011 01:03 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Dear All
I changed display card from HD5670 to HD7770. After that, I could open a Project with no problem, but when I tried to show the project, there was only sound but the video image cannot be shown.
Any advice?
thanks
Victor i7 930 / DDR3 1600 2x3 / HD7770 / Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
victchow2 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 05, 2011 01:03 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
sorry I afraid I've post my message wrongly here i7 930 / DDR3 1600 2x3 / HD7770 / Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for the responses. I still can't seem to get things to work. I have my .pds file in the timeline and then I have my media in the library, but if I try to place the media on the timeline it just wants to overwrite whats there? Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
James1
Senior Contributor Location: Surrey, B.C., Canada Joined: Jun 10, 2010 16:20 Messages: 1783 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott61,
I don't quite follow "i have my pds file in timeline' the PDS file is just a script file that tells PD where the files are located, and what effects, transitions etc are involved in the project. You should have the videos, transitions etc in the corresponding timeline.
The 'library' will have the 'thumbnails' of the videos as listed in the 'PDS' script.
Drag your videos from library to timeline and preview and see what happens. If it doesn't work as expected just don't save the project...if it does work 'save as' and give it a new name.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

vn800rider
Senior Contributor Location: Darwen, UK Joined: May 15, 2008 04:32 Messages: 1949 Offline
[Post New]
PD "hard codes" the asset file path and name when the .pds file is saved. If the asset files are subsequently moved to another location or re-named, then PD cannot find them.

Normally, if you load a project with this issue, PD will tell you it cannot find them, give you the option to browse or ignore, if you choose browse then you can point PD to the new location, PD then will load the clips from the new location and, when next saved, will use the new location for subsequent loading.

As a last resort, the .pds file can be edited in a simple text editor, like Notepad, and, if it is necessary, the hardcoded original filename and path can be substituted with the new one. Remember to make a backup of the original.pds before attempting this, as if you get it wrong there's no easy way back.
Example
<PROJECT VERSION="0900" AEFF_VERSION="10.0.0.1330" PROJECT_TYPE="0"><INFORMATION PROJECT="" AUTHOR="Adrian" DESCRIPTION="" CREATEDATE="2012/ 4/25 19:29: 0" CLASS="" COMPANY="Company" KEYWORD="" ASPECTRATIO="TRUE" CLVSMODE="2" AUTHORINGDATA="" PACKPROJECT="FALSE"/><LIBRARY><VIDEOSLOT><VIDEOOBJECT ID="0" SRC="C:\Users\Adrian\Desktop\SANY0368.MP4" NAME="SANY0368.MP4" MUTE="FALSE" PACKSUBFOLDER="" STEREOMODE="1"><SUBFOLDER/></VIDEOOBJECT><VIDEOOBJECT ID="1" SRC="C:\Users\Adrian\Desktop\SANY0369.MP4" NAME="SANY0369.MP4" MUTE="FALSE" PACKSUBFOLDER=""

Cheers
Adrian

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Jul 09. 2012 14:54

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. (see below)
Confucius
AMD Phenom IIX6 1055T, win10, 5 internal drives, 7 usb drives, struggling power supply.
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks guys, I will give this a try. Sorry for the confusion on pds files, but uncertain of some of the correct terminology.
Attached is the jay 5-1-12 file that has the .pds ext. In the background are the folders that contain the video. I tried to open the .pds file from PD that fills in the timeline. Then I placed the video in the library, and from there I tried to place on the timeline, but of course it didn't work.

I may wait a little bit and see if one of you has a chance to respond now that I have "tried" to clarify what I attempted to do. After rereading your suggestions I am still a little confused.

Thanks again.
Scott
[Thumb - capture-20120709-145511.png]
 Filename
capture-20120709-145511.png
[Disk]
 Description
screen capture
 Filesize
249 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
237 time(s)
Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
James1
[Post New]
Hi,
Are the camera clips in timeline1? If the videos from the Camera are in the top timeline (timeline1) then if you preview them they should play in the preview window, if there is no camera clips in the timeline then they have to be dragged onto it.
If you get a "overwrite or insert" option try over writing, but if it isn't right don't save the project.
Jim Intel i7-2600@3.4Gz Geforce 560ti-1GB Graphic accelerator, windows 7 Premium 12GB memory

Xerox [Avatar]
Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Aug 09, 2009 01:36 Messages: 446 Offline
[Post New]
Regarding PDS on the timeline, you can insert a project on the timeline in PowerDirector 10. Go File>Insert Project.

All the clips from the inserted project are placed on the timeline. All the clips that are inserted are probably all selected, so click on a empty area of the timeline to deselect all the clips. Gateway DX4380, AMD A8-5500 Quad Core 3.2GHz with ATI Radeon HD 7560D; 16GB RAM; 1 TB SATA 7200 RPM; Windows 8 Pro 64-bit; PDR11, PDVD12.
Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to all that responded to my request for help. I have tried to follow all suggestions but can't seem to resolve this. I think I will go ahead and pay for the phone support, but really dislike my previous experience dealing with them.

Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Scott,

The data members have given you is all correct. To summarise the issue and the cause:
1. You started a video project.
2. You saved a pds file
3. You then moved all your media files to a different drive.
4. You attempted to open the pds file and when the project displayed in PD, you have black files in the tracks and not your project.

Cause:
a) You moved the location of the media files and the pds could not call up the data to display in PD. Instead it replaced the files with "black".
b) When you opened the pds, PD would have displayed a message box for you to respond to (this should still happen).
c) Your response to the "browse" question dictates what will display in PD.
d) GO browse for the new location of where you parked those moved media files.

Once you "find" those files by browsing for them your project will open.

For future projects:
1. Dont move files in the middle of a project
2. Do use File>Export>Pack Project Material of a finished project and files USED in the timeline will be stored and can be recalled from ANY location and displayed in PD.

I hope the information helped. Members are here trying to assist you with some super answers.

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2012 03:53

Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank so much Dafydd. The only thing I guess not happening is I don't get the message popping up when I open the PDS file? I guess this is why I am not getting it to work.
Is there a solution at all to this problem if the message asking me how to handle the file isn't showing?

Thanks again for sticking with me in helping with this.
Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
stevek
Senior Contributor Location: Houston, Texas USA Joined: Jan 25, 2011 12:18 Messages: 4663 Offline
[Post New]
Did you do A Windows search for that project? If you can find it, just right click (or double click) on it and it should open in PD. .
BoilerPlate: To posters who ask for help -- it is nice to thank the volunteers who try to answer your questions !
Anything I post unless stated with a reference is my personal opinion.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Scott,
As well as what Steve has written, you can try seeking out the Auto saved file:

C:\Users\YOUR_PC_NAME_HERE\AppData\Roaming\CyberLink\PowerDirector\10.0\AutoSave

The folder I have directed you to, is by default set to be hidden in Windows. It'll contain the last auto saved pds files.
a) Click and copy a file.
b) then double click on the copy - you're aiming to open PD and call up your project - browse for the files when asked.

I have requested you make a copy of the pds file - in case the file gets corrupted or lost.

To display hidden files and folders, please follow the information below:
No harm should come to your PC by making the changes I have laid out.

1. Open a directory/folder and:
2. Tools/Folder options/View tab/Select "Show hidden Files, folders, or drives.
3. While you're there:
Uncheck "hide extensions for known file types" - that may help identify the different video files you create.
4. Click OK.
Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jul 12. 2012 15:51

Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
This isn't the issue. The project .pds file, which I guess contains all the "instructions" on how I edited the video and title screens, etc shows on the timeline, but I can't get it to integrate the video, that is in the library, to display the finished project.
Thanks for the response, and maybe this explanation will give you an idea to help me fix this.
Scott Scott Wright
Wichita, KS
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: This isn't the issue. The project .pds file, which I guess contains all the "instructions" on how I edited the video and title screens, etc shows on the timeline, but I can't get it to integrate the video, that is in the library, to display the finished project.
Thanks for the response, and maybe this explanation will give you an idea to help me fix this.
Scott

Hi Scott,
Please provide a screenshot/snapshot of the Edit Workspace so members can see what you're trying to explain.
Guide info E&F
Link: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/7958.page

Dafydd
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: This isn't the issue. The project .pds file, which I guess contains all the "instructions" on how I edited the video and title screens, etc shows on the timeline, but I can't get it to integrate the video, that is in the library, to display the finished project.
Scott

Switch to the Produce module and produce the video of your choosen format.

To complete all Edits, you must produce a video from the timeline.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Scott61 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here is a screen shot right after opening the .pds file. I kept trying to figure out why the sample library was displaying each time I opened it, but now realize that the message that was to pop up asking me what to do with the files may actually happened and I clicked on it, somehow causing the sample library to merge with the project.
I may have to see if carbonite has overwritten the file yet in the backup of my hard drive?
[Thumb - capture-20120713-095414.png]
 Filename
capture-20120713-095414.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
372 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
200 time(s)
Scott Wright
Wichita, KS