Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Also having clips Freeze, also some clips are showing black in the preview instead of video clip?
Videogalnc [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Carolina Joined: Nov 29, 2011 19:01 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
Well, I'm actually editing my first 2-camera project with this new program and have spent HOURS just trying to learn all the little tricks. I have questions that might help me figure out my issues if any of you can help...here goes...

1) I know I should import & save footage on the harddrive and then import into PD but is it better to import as an .avi file (which comes from camera firewire) or should I be encoding to mpg2 and then importing into PD, or does it matter?

2) I can't get a project done for clips freezing on me and the program wanting to crash. I searched this forum and realized there are alot of updates in the last 3 months. Do I need to download all of them in order or just the latest one? Perhaps this will take care of my issue; however, I am not working in HD unless it's clips off my iphone. Is the quicktime program still needed even if you're editing in SD? I also tried to turn off my antivirus program but can't seem to find a place to "disable". Very frustrating and I do have the Norton Antivirus Suite that came with the PC.

3) I have been breaking up my project and doing small sections at a time. I have the first 10 mins on the timeline completed and would like to render and produce that even though the last 10 mins isn't completely edited yet. Is there a way to make a scene of the first 10 mins. so I have one edited clip that can't be shifted around? All I could think of was to go ahead and produce (to mpeg2 for dvd) bring it into a new workspace, split and delete the unedited clips and produce again and save to file.??? If it's already mpeg2 format does it hurt quality to "produce" again to mpeg2 (that's the only way I know it can be saved in the mpeg2 format but maybe it doesn't matter if it's .avi or mpeg2 until you're ready to bring all the files into one to produce dvd???

4) After editing a clip using the trim, power tools or editing audio, and then coming back to that same clip later for additional changes, I sometimes can't see or use my tool bar line. The only options I have are multi-trim or trash. What causes that?

5) Sometimes when I'm working with alot of splits to control volume or lighting in a 2-camera edit I get so confused or clips screwed up that I'll put some space on the timeline and then a colored clip after my good clips and then delete the rest of the timeline, and drag the master back down and split it to start up where I need it to. My question..., when doing a 2-camera edit, is there a way to keep both audio & video & music track linked so if you delete spaces or the colored clip, everything isn't shifting and out of sync? I tried locking the audio or video but then you couldn't work with that track.

I apologize for this long inquiry but I tried my best to work thru these issues and workarounds and just made a list of things I needed help with. It's late and I'm tired so please excuse the spelling & other grammatical errors. Anyone up for walking me thru some of these issues? It really would be appreciated.. a bunch!

Barb
Barb

HP h8-1080t i7CPU 950@3.07 GHZ
10GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce-550Ti
1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe
CubbyHouseFilms
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne, Australia Joined: Jul 14, 2009 04:23 Messages: 2208 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Barb

Welcome to the volunteer forum

Wow! Some great questions

1) I know I should import & save footage on the harddrive and then import into PD but is it better to import as an .avi file (which comes from camera firewire) or should I be encoding to mpg2 and then importing into PD, or does it matter?

Answer: Ensure all source files are on the C drive of your computer. My preference would be MPEG

2) I can't get a project done for clips freezing on me and the program wanting to crash. I searched this forum and realized there are alot of updates in the last 3 months. Do I need to download all of them in order or just the latest one? Perhaps this will take care of my issue; however, I am not working in HD unless it's clips off my iphone. Is the quicktime program still needed even if you're editing in SD? I also tried to turn off my antivirus program but can't seem to find a place to "disable". Very frustrating and I do have the Norton Antivirus Suite that came with the PC.

Answer: Updates are cumulative - so you do not need to download them all. 1424c is the latest patch.

Ensure you have the latest Apple Quicktime 7.7.2 installed. Go to the Apple website and download - this is important as this contains the codes to 'read' the Apple iPhone MOV file format.

3) I have been breaking up my project and doing small sections at a time. I have the first 10 mins on the timeline completed and would like to render and produce that even though the last 10 mins isn't completely edited yet. Is there a way to make a scene of the first 10 mins. so I have one edited clip that can't be shifted around? All I could think of was to go ahead and produce (to mpeg2 for dvd) bring it into a new workspace, split and delete the unedited clips and produce again and save to file.??? If it's already mpeg2 format does it hurt quality to "produce" again to mpeg2 (that's the only way I know it can be saved in the mpeg2 format but maybe it doesn't matter if it's .avi or mpeg2 until you're ready to bring all the files into one to produce dvd???

Answer: The best way to 'make' a project is to break it up into smaller bits or parts.

I do this by importing the clips I need for a part then editing and Producing clip as close to the source video files as possible. I then open another project and import the clips then editing, Producing etc etc.

I then import all the Produced clips into the Final Project and Produce and/or Burn to disc.

4) After editing a clip using the trim, power tools or editing audio, and then coming back to that same clip later for additional changes, I sometimes can't see or use my tool bar line. The only options I have are multi-trim or trash. What causes that?

Answer: Try the Split and remove method

5) Sometimes when I'm working with alot of splits to control volume or lighting in a 2-camera edit I get so confused or clips screwed up that I'll put some space on the timeline and then a colored clip after my good clips and then delete the rest of the timeline, and drag the master back down and split it to start up where I need it to. My question..., when doing a 2-camera edit, is there a way to keep both audio & video & music track linked so if you delete spaces or the colored clip, everything isn't shifting and out of sync? I tried locking the audio or video but then you couldn't work with that track.

Answer: See link - this is by far the best way. Read Ynotfish - Playschool and my comments

http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/22647.page

I apologize for this long inquiry but I tried my best to work thru these issues and workarounds and just made a list of things I needed help with. It's late and I'm tired so please excuse the spelling & other grammatical errors. Anyone up for walking me thru some of these issues? It really would be appreciated.. a bunch!

Barb

I would recommend you watch these tutorials from the PDtoots team. They are using PD8 but the basics are the same for PD10 - good luck

Part 1 http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/9/jXG2jDTHyKw

Part 2 http://www.youtube.com/user/PDtoots#p/u/8/ccSNU_Z7BRc
Happy editing Happing editing

Best Regards

Neil
CubbyHouseFilms

My Youtube Channel
My Vimeo Channel
PD3.5, 5, 6 & 7. Computer: Dell Dimension 5150, Intel Pen. 2.80 GHz, 2GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 8600GT 256MB, Windows XP Pro!!
PD8 Ultra v3022. Computer: Dell Studio 1747, Intel, i7 Q740 1.73 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 560v 1GB, Windows 7 Ult. 64
PD10 Ultra v2023. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD12 Ultra v2930. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD13 Ultim v3516. Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 8GB RAM, ATI Mob. Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
PD16 Live v2101 Computer: HP Pavilion dv7, Intel, i7 2630 2.00 GHz, 16GB RAM, ATI Mob.Radeon HD 6770 2GB, Windows 7 Pre. 64
Director Suite 6: PowerDirector 16 Live, PhotoDirector 9, ColorDirector 6, AudioDirector 8

Cameras: Sony(s) HXR-NX5P, HXR-NX70P, NEX-VG10E, a6300 4k, HDR TG5E, GoPro 4 Black, Canon 6D DSLR

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
- PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!

Cranston
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Aug 17, 2007 02:26 Messages: 1667 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: 4) After editing a clip using the trim, power tools or editing audio, and then coming back to that same clip later for additional changes, I sometimes can't see or use my tool bar line. The only options I have are multi-trim or trash. What causes that?

This may help.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/21351.page

Click here PDtoots for a collection of PowerDirector Tutorials and Tips
Videogalnc [Avatar]
Newbie Location: North Carolina Joined: Nov 29, 2011 19:01 Messages: 48 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Neil for speedy reply. Woke up this morning and saw your answer post which put a smile on my face because now I have some direction in conquering these issues. I'll go thru an check these things and will give a shout later as needed.
Many thanks for your time and the many others that are always contributing and helping us out.
Barb Barb

HP h8-1080t i7CPU 950@3.07 GHZ
10GB Ram, Nvidia Geforce-550Ti
1.5 T & 500GB HD
Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
Power Director 10 Deluxe