Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
thumbnails dissapeared in library
jasm [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Niagara Falls, Canada Joined: Oct 12, 2011 16:57 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
all my thumbnails dissapeared in my library. Last time I shut down powerdvd they were fine.
there creeping back slooowly
anyone else have this happen?
GREG1111 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 25, 2011 11:38 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Note my post about thumbnails a few posts down. I have not seen this problem, but do believe there are issues with thubnails in general, as I have issues with them on the DLNA function to multiple devices. With all the serious problem with version 12, my guess is that this is pretty low on the priority list.
CyberLink-Michael [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Greg1111,
please contact the technical support about your issue. It looks isolated to your platform .

br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
flogger123 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Jan 24, 2012 08:22 Messages: 63 Offline
[Post New]
I haven't seen this before but aside from those thumbnails creeping back, is the software it self slow or running fine?

Updates would be nice.
pfm55 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: dallas, tx Joined: Jul 26, 2011 11:43 Messages: 30 Offline
[Post New]
i found you had to check all file types for it to keep them.
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
Member Joined: Oct 25, 2010 08:01 Messages: 67 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem. Powerdvd 12 will sometime build the thumbnails (taking lots of resources to do so) and then they will just disappear after a reboot.

In general, Powerdvd 12 has not been a good release.
Senior Contributor Location: Europe Joined: Apr 18, 2007 04:05 Messages: 7418 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,
can you please post more info about your issue:

1. is the content stored on a NAS or local drive?
2. did PowerDVD complete the scanning process (no circle anymore)
3. did you install latest patch v1618 ?
4. do you have activated the DMS?
5. can you post your DXDIAG log file here?

br
Michael

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 16. 2012 04:13

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
1) Contents on local drive
2) yes it scanned all media, had thumbnails for videos and no longer has thumbnails
3) Yes 1618 installed
4) Yes DMS activated
5) Here you go, see attachment

Filename
DxDiag.txt
[Disk]
 Description
dxdiag output
 Filesize
78 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
384 time(s)
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
One further note - it's just the thumbnails that disappear. The videos play fine. for the most part they are either WMV or M4V (most are M4V from itunes music videos). It took a long time to build the thumbnails. I could see vtthum banging away for awhile and then I rebooted some time after all thumbnails were built and they disappeared.
[Post New]
Hi,
please specify more:

1. how many M4V files do you have (also WMV)+
2. as far as I know the M4V from iTunes are DRM [FairPlay] protected and not supported in PowerDVD...

Br
Michael Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Very few WMV - less than 10. Quite a few M4V - over 100. They all play in powerdvd 12 so you couldn't be right that they aren't supported. No DRM on the files. Itunes did away with that sort of stuff long time ago.

Also, why does none of the artwork show up on the MP3 files in music folder? Every MP3 I have has artwork and it shows fine in other players - media player, itunes, etc...

Lots of bugs in powerdvd 12. I could go on and on ...
[Post New]
Hi,
my MP3 and M4V [non DRM] show cover without problem.

- can you share some sample files when we provide you FTP?

br
Michael

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Techically sharing the media files would be a copyright violation.

Here's what GSPOT says about one M4V file:

M4V : Apple iTunes Video (.M4V) Video
- mp42: MP4 v2 [ISO 14496-14]
- isom: MP4 Base Media v1 [IS0 14496-12:2003]
Recommended Display Size: 640 x 360
Created: 2008 Mar 14 14:08:23
Modified: 2008 Mar 14 14:17:35
©gen:Music Video
©albanity Kane
aARTanity Kane
©ARTanity Kane
©nam:One Shot
©day:2006

You can see that it has album art in it.

If you have a preferred method of dumping the IDR tags from the MP3 files I would be happy to do it. But believe me when I tell you, every music player I have shows all of the album art. Powerdvd 12 does not.

I seen a comment above that one person implied you needed to associate your files with powerdvd 12 to see the thumbnails. Is that true? If so, I would say that is a poor implementation choice.

GREG1111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello,

I wrote a thread about this issue a while back. And no, it is not platform related issue to my computer. It is becuase BETA testing was not done well with this release. Of course none of us can answer that question, including you Micheal I am guessing. Much like the MediaServer not being found was just a "platform" problem until it was corrected.

The only thumbnails you are guranteed to get correctly EVERYTIME is when you install the program and have it search your Library for pics, videos, etc. After that, you can usually get the pics backs, but some thumbnails will show blank or "generic" ( a pic of rose and trees or something like that) and you can add/remove from library, share/unshare from the via the DLNA server, and any combination of the above. Unless you want to re-install the software from scratch, which of course comes with the lovely install packages that look for previous issues to work, then you are not guarnteed thumnails of pics at the least. I have not tested videos extensively. These are normal JPG files, on the local hardrive (My Pics to be exact), and this happens to way more people than just on my "platform". I have opened up tickets as have others and your first response is always to make sure this or make sure that like we just started using this type of software before. We of course have never used the WMP DLNA capablites (which of course do work for thumbnails).

If my tone sounds snide, it is becuase for over a week I and others was told on a VERY basic issue like trying to locate the media sever with POWERDVD was some kind of "special problem" until of cousre it wasn't and you released a patch for both the I-phone APP and the PC PowerDVD 12 program. My guess is you have a memory problem, becuase once these pic thumbnails don't show correctly, they stay that way evertime until you add more pics or make other changes to the Library structure. Again, the only way I found that will consistently correct the issue is when the program is first installed.

Yes it sucks. And no I won't send anymore files. Just read the comments and try an assumption that your customers understand how this software should work and probably more times than not we no a bug when we see one. The Roach is alive and kicking.

Have a nice day.
[Post New]
Quote: Techically sharing the media files would be a copyright violation.

If you have a preferred method of dumping the IDR tags from the MP3 files I would be happy to do it. But believe me when I tell you, every music player I have shows all of the album art. Powerdvd 12 does not.

I seen a comment above that one person implied you needed to associate your files with powerdvd 12 to see the thumbnails. Is that true? If so, I would say that is a poor implementation choice.

Hi,
sorry but I can not confirm it - on my test systems all thumbnails are shown correctly for MP3/M4A/M4V. [For M4V I only use self created M4V files and none purchased @iTunes as they seem to be DRM protected]
I also don't have set the file association set to PowerDVD - and the embedded thumbnails are shown correctly.

Can you please share some snapshots of one of the MP3 files:
1. the artwork in other player
2. the artwork in PowerDVD [not displayed, right?]
3. the artwork in Windows Explorer
4. please confirm that this issue happens on local library and not for DLNA
5. you may try to re-build your Library (pleae check how-to delete PowerDVD 12 Library
6. for iTunes Music files, the Artwork is not embedded but in the iTunes Library [unless you manually embed the artwork]

We would like to investigate the issue - whereas we need to reproduce it first....

thanks for your patience and help
Michael

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at May 17. 2012 05:14

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Yes, DLNA is on

Yes, I have rebuilt the library after latest patch was put on

The artwork is embedded in the MP3 files. These are all MP3 files not ITUNES MPA files. You are mixed up on how ITUNES now works.
[Thumb - exp.jpg]
 Filename
exp.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
windows explorer for 3LW
 Filesize
112 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)
[Thumb - pvd.jpg]
 Filename
pvd.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
powerdvd - take look at 2LW for instance
 Filesize
140 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
255 time(s)
[Thumb - wmp.jpg]
 Filename
wmp.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
windows media player includes 3LW
 Filesize
204 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
240 time(s)
[Post New]
Hi,
can you please send another snapshot of the files showing the artwork in explorer. [like my snasphot]

Please also see my snapshots as reference - you can see the artwork is presented correctly.

Please let me know which tool you use to create the MP3 or which source you bought them.
Please also let me know which tool you use to change the Tags

I also checked the 7Digital provided files and they are OK as well. [as mentioned the iTunes delivered
I checked a iTunes M4A (downloaded via iTunes Match) and the artwork is shown as well.

sorry for the trouble...

BR
Michael
[Thumb - EXPL_art.jpg]
 Filename
EXPL_art.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
176 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
248 time(s)
[Thumb - PDVD12_Art.jpg]
 Filename
PDVD12_Art.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
148 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
281 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at May 17. 2012 07:54

Technical Support

Werde Facebook Fan
rjsqxxx [Avatar]
[Post New]
Michael,

You keep asking for more and more stuff. I think there is no answer forthcoming here and I just don't have time for this game.

There is nothing wrong with my files. If powerdvd only works with MP3's bought from particular sources then your product has BIG problems. Judging by what I see in this forum there are many bugs in powerdvd 12. This is no way to go about solving them.

If you want a dump of ID3 tags give me the name of a freeware tool you'll look at. But I will not on an open forum share copyrighted material.

GREG1111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Rjs,

Your analysis is correbct. It took weeks for cyberlink to even admit there were problems with the POWERDVD program finding the SERVER. More and more info sent, open tickets, they can't reproduce, etc. etc......then, it was (most ofld it anyway fixed). I would be happy to provide more info on the thubnail problems I am having with JPG files, but once several people complain of the same issue, that is enough in my mind.

1 of 2 things will happen. They will fix the obvious memory problems they have with thumbnails down the road, or they want. reading through the forums my guess is they have bigger fish to fry at this time. Some files want even play still according to what I have read. Thubnais is important to me, but when you have a major release this bad i'm sure resources have divided where most appropriate for all users.

Michael you seem like a nice guy who does want to help, but continuing to ask for more info when problems are reproduced by several customers no longers seems reasonable to me either. I hope this will be fixed down the road. Until then I will use WMP for my photo DLNA server.
GREG1111 [Avatar]
[Post New]
pardon my spelling errors, working off digital keypad......best of luck to you all.