Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
What I did to fix the SmartSound problem - PD10! That didn't work either????
Tangle [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 16, 2010 09:40 Messages: 29 Offline
[Post New]
So I bought the PD1- upgrade. When it asked if I wanted to install SmartSound, I clicked yes. Then it said SmartSound must but uninstalled before installing SmartSound. Then it said do you want to uninstall SmartSound. So I said yes and it went about removing SmartSound and then installed SmartSound for PD10. Guess what? There's no difference whatsoever!

I still have 10 styles. Things like Blues to Go, Orleans Jump, etc. apparently are no longer part of SmartSound core???

On my second computer, I have the full version because once this happened on my home computer, I wouldn't accept any SmartSound updates on the other computer. Sooo, I'm gonna copy the sounds from my second computer to the one that has missing sounds and see if that works.

And, I'll try to contact SmartSound today.

If anyone thinks of anything else to try, I would much appreciate any and all thoughts.

Thanks,
Tangle
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hmmm, when I scrolled down the list of songs to purchase, I find one "Blues to Go" sound. The previous, i.e. original had a style called "Blues to Go" and a number of variations of the style to choose from.

It would appear that SmartSound has reduced the selections and converted many 'styles' to single sounds for purchase.

I have contacted SmartSound and am waiting for a reply. However, it's starting to look pretty clear that SS has greatly reduced the style selection and all one has to do to loose the original variety is do an update.

Anyone else seeing this?

Thanks again,
Tangle

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2012 09:00

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tangle -

Sorry to read that you're still having problems with SmartSound.

Something that may be affecting the number of variations available is the duration set. You can change this in Preferences or in the Magic Music module.

This might help http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19969.page#105620

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks again Tony!

As per your observation in the referenced thread, changing the duration adds more 'clips' in a chosen category.

The problem is, it doesn't add the missing categories.

Still waiting for a response from SS.

It really looks to me like SS no longer includes all the categories, and when one updates, certain categories are deleted.

I can't think of other reasons why upgrading to PD10 and re-installing SS wouldn't restore missing categories.

Should be interesting to see what SS says.

BTW Tony, do you have the original SS categories? And, have you done a SS update recently?

Thanks,
Tangle
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Oops, I just refreshed my email and had this from SS:

Hello Ron,

It appears that when Quicktracks was uninstalled, that the original music
was removed as well. To get them back, please click the link below:

http://www.smartsound.com/support/music/index.php

This page will provide you with a link for downloading the music installer. Download and run this file to install the music that originally came with older versions of PowerDirector.

I'm doing that now.

Tangle

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 08. 2012 13:37

Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
That fixed it !
Tony, thanks for 'linking' me to SS technical support!

I thought this was interesting in particular:

"...to install the music that originally came with older versions of PowerDirector."

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2012 13:43

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Tangle -

Each time I go to the SmartSound module, I'm prompted to update (only if updates are available). I always do so.

There have been issues with the SmartSound module not listing all categories &/or tracks, in the past. I'd have to do some digging to find out which version/build of PD that applied to.

My SmartSound may not be typical, as I've purchased quite a few albums. I have to scratch around inside the folders to understand what tracks are part of what. There are almost 1000 items in my Sound Files folder.

Attached is a screen capture of my SS in PD9. Sorry it's low res.

Cheers - Tony

Filename
Tony's SS.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
2390 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
331 time(s)

ynotfish
[Post New]
Excellent!

I didn't need to show you inside my SS module after all!

Cheers - Tony
Tangle [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Excellent!

I didn't need to show you inside my SS module after all!

Cheers - Tony

No, but I sure appreciate you going to the trouble to do so.

I think I'm gonna save a copy my categories/tracks for backup - don't want to go through this again.

It's good to have everything back!

Thanks for all the insight and help!

My next question will be in PD10 - where do I get 3D glasses and what works with PD10 3D. I bet somebody already has a thread up about that!

Tangle
ynotfish
[Post New]
Ron -

Thank you. Your appreciation is appreciated.

For back-up, what I do is copy the whole SmartSound Software Inc folder - found at C:\ProgramData\SmartSound Software Inc - and transfer the copy to an external hard drive. That contains all your music library & sound files data.

Yes - it's good to overcome little glitches so you can concentrate on making videos!!!

Cheers - Tony

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Mar 08. 2012 15:32

pmalbec [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 07, 2011 12:55 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Taking advantage of this conversation, I would like to understand the "Royalty Free" of SmartSound.
There is a Buy button.
I go to the smartsound web site, and there appear prices (from 29 /each to 99 the album)

So... is it free music to use in movies? Do I have to pay for?

Thanks,

Paul, from Chile
ynotfish
[Post New]
Hi Paul -

If you'd like to start a new thread, that'd be good. Your question has shifted away from Ron's original - now resolved - problem.

If you go to the SmartSound website, there's a very good batch of FAQs, including this one about licensing http://www.smartsound.com/support/link.php?action=detail&id=143

Cheers - Tony
pmalbec1 [Avatar]
Member Joined: Mar 08, 2012 21:50 Messages: 51 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks Tony, and sorry Ron Paul Malbec L.
Santiago de Chile
http://www.youtube.com/user/pmalbec