Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Authoring and Rendering
Graeme1946 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 15, 2008 17:51 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
May be someone can help with the difference between Rendering and then Authoring to produce a video movie, blu-ray before burning,and also is Burning speed and recording speed mean the same. All of this with Power Director 10.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 05. 2011 01:40

amandasmith [Avatar]
Member Joined: Dec 05, 2011 03:30 Messages: 53 Offline
[Post New]
Honestly, I think for you to get a good answer, you need to give us more info. What are you trying to accomplish. What are you shooting? What do you want to do in post production? How do you want to deliver? Once all the questions are answered, we'll be able to direct you down the right path.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: May be someone can help with the difference between Rendering and then Authoring to produce a video movie, blu-ray before burning,and also is Burning speed and recording speed mean the same. All of this with Power Director 10.

Rendering is done in the Produce module. Authoring is referring to authoring a DVD or BluRay Disk.
You render a video to a file, you author a Disk.

The difference is the end result.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Graeme1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thankyou carl312, that answers my question.Next question, HD Video Processing (shadow file).Everyone has been asked to disable it in this forum, what is its purpose and does anyone use it? Certainly does not work for me. Sorry to be technical .
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Thankyou carl312, that answers my question.Next question, HD Video Processing (shadow file).Everyone has been asked to disable it in this forum, what is its purpose and does anyone use it? Certainly does not work for me. Sorry to be technical .

The shadow file is for lower power computers to be able to process HD content.

If your computer is powerful enough, you can uncheck the HD file processing in preferences.

If you do use shadow file, you must wait for them to be generated before you start editing.

I don't use shadow files on my system, I have little trouble editing HD content.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Graeme1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Congratulations Carl312. That is the best answer all five off us in my suburb have read about that issue.( WHY) Three of them are here now pushing me to ask another. When editing we all disable HARDWARE ACCELERATION ,(open CL to speed up preview and render),(enable hardware decoding). PRODUCE, allow SVRT on single IDR h.264 video. And have preview window down to high preview resolutions which seems to be most stable. All want to burn to a DVD or BLu-ray to play back on full HD TV. The question is, DO we have to ENABLE all what we have disable mention above, before rendering and authoring and burning. all is it automatically done when the video is rendered when you enable hardware decoding and SVRT tick box in PRODUCE. (MTS files from camcorder to wd hard drive then picked up by Power Director 10 and displayed as mts.) Our computers profile are about the same as yours Carl except AMD phenom 11*6 2.8GHz ATI Radeon HD 5850, Power Director 10 Ultra 64 build 1012 , that is why we we are hammering you Carl . AMD Guru. The bottom line is ,most of our finish product is terrible to view, not as good as when play direct from camcorder to TV with HDMI cable. The next post will be Help.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Congratulations Carl312. That is the best answer all five off us in my suburb have read about that issue.( WHY) Three of them are here now pushing me to ask another. When editing we all disable HARDWARE ACCELERATION ,(open CL to speed up preview and render),(enable hardware decoding). PRODUCE, allow SVRT on single IDR h.264 video. And have preview window down to high preview resolutions which seems to be most stable. All want to burn to a DVD or BLu-ray to play back on full HD TV. The question is, DO we have to ENABLE all what we have disable mention above, before rendering and authoring and burning. all is it automatically done when the video is rendered when you enable hardware decoding and SVRT tick box in PRODUCE. (MTS files from camcorder to wd hard drive then picked up by Power Director 10 and displayed as mts.) Our computers profile are about the same as yours Carl except AMD phenom 11*6 2.8GHz ATI Radeon HD 5850, Power Director 10 Ultra 64 build 1012 , that is why we we are hammering you Carl . AMD Guru. The bottom line is ,most of our finish product is terrible to view, not as good as when play direct from camcorder to TV with HDMI cable. The next post will be Help.

Graeme, it sounds that you pretty much do what I do. One difference, I do use hardware acceleration on Full HD WMV production. I do that because HA works good for WMV, and it saves some time rendering.

Maybe you need to tell me what you are doing with you HD content that looks so terrible.

If you are producing to a DVD, you are losing all of your HD content, DVD's are standard Def only (720x480) VS HD content of 1920x1080. BluRay on the other hand is HD, BluRay is normally 1920x1080.

I have burned a few BluRay disks and they look great when played in my BluRay player on my HD TV.

If you want to see one of my HD videos, I have a fireworks display that I shot with my Canon HD camera. It was edited in PD 9.

This is part 2 of two parts. 12 minutes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efnwXea9090

[Post New]
Quote: Congratulations Carl312. That is the best answer all five off us in my suburb have read about that issue.( WHY) Three of them are here now pushing me to ask another. When editing we all disable HARDWARE ACCELERATION ,(open CL to speed up preview and render),(enable hardware decoding). PRODUCE, allow SVRT on single IDR h.264 video. And have preview window down to high preview resolutions which seems to be most stable. All want to burn to a DVD or BLu-ray to play back on full HD TV. The question is, DO we have to ENABLE all what we have disable mention above, before rendering and authoring and burning. all is it automatically done when the video is rendered when you enable hardware decoding and SVRT tick box in PRODUCE. (MTS files from camcorder to wd hard drive then picked up by Power Director 10 and displayed as mts.) Our computers profile are about the same as yours Carl except AMD phenom 11*6 2.8GHz ATI Radeon HD 5850, Power Director 10 Ultra 64 build 1012 , that is why we we are hammering you Carl . AMD Guru. The bottom line is ,most of our finish product is terrible to view, not as good as when play direct from camcorder to TV with HDMI cable. The next post will be Help.

I want to see if I understand your question about the check boxes for acceleration.

From what I read here when you are editing (placing items in the time line, editing/enhancing clips/importing to your library etc etc..) you have have all the hardware acceleration boxes unchecked. But you are asking that when you want to produce (render) to file and/or author to disc, do you have to recheck all the boxes?
al

Land of fieros, North Dakota USA
Carl312
[Post New]
I want to see if I understand your question about the check boxes for acceleration.

From what I read here when you are editing (placing items in the time line, editing/enhancing clips/importing to your library etc etc..) you have have all the hardware acceleration boxes unchecked. But you are asking that when you want to produce (render) to file and/or author to disc, do you have to recheck all the boxes?
al

You do not have to check the Hardware Acceleration boxes in Preferences.

In Produce you have the option of using or not using Fast Video Rending Technology, depending on the output format you have choosen.

For AVCHD, I uncheck that option on my system, I get very strange results using Fast Video Rending Technology on M2TS files. But WMV does work well.

I just got a notice that a new AMD Video Driver is available, (11.11). I currently have 11.9, so I will see if the new driver is any better.

Graeme1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi , ro22tol that is exactly the question I wanted to be answered, and now Carl312 has answered it. You do not have to check hardware acceleration in Preferences before Producing. Carl stated in produce you have options to do it, but he doesnt, because he gets very strange results for AVCHD. Hip hooray I havent gone insane. At this point I do exactly the same as Carl and get very strange results, if i use acceleration or not. WHY? IS it the AMD video card, that cannot handle it? (I would change) or Blu-ray burner a (LG super multi blue)which picks the burning speed it self and can not be changed?.I have not used WMV , but will experiment and let you know. How many other AMD users are having this problem?
RobertJ/OZ [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Melbourne Australia Joined: Aug 14, 2006 02:26 Messages: 1209 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Carl,

I installed AMD driver 11.11, had major issues with PD9 freezing, so rolled back to 11.9, freezing has minimised again

Robert Intel i7 930, 16GB ram, Radeon HD 5770 1Gb,Ver. 14.12 Win7 64 bit
Intel i7 7700 HQ, 16 GB ram Nvidia GTX 1050Ti 4GB dual drives 1 TB SSD + 1 TB HDD Win 10

PDtoots
Carl312
[Post New]
I still have not tried the AMD 11.11 driver.

RobertJ/OZ says it causes bad things.
Not the first time AMD driver messed up things.

Graeme1946, I have no idea why you have problems with your BluRay Burner.
There is a way to control the speed of burning in PD.

See attachment.

[Thumb - PD disk burn speed_notes.jpg]
 Filename
PD disk burn speed_notes.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
Burn Speed setting in PD9 Burn module
 Filesize
116 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
340 time(s)

Graeme1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi. Tried WMV and saved it to file in drive E. Played it back using Media Player, Hopeless. How can I put it on YouTube so others can see it? I had downloaded AMD 11.11 one week ago, also update for Power director 10. 1129a last night. Feeling is, it is the card. I will do what Robert J /oz has suggested and report back.
Carl312
[Post New]
How can I put it on YouTube so others can see it?

If you have a Youtube account, log into your account. If no Youtube account, create one.
Be aware that the user name you pick will the seen by all and is the user you will be known as. (Choose carefully).

Click on "Upload" at the top to the page, follow prompts.

Wait for the upload to finish, might take a long while.

Once Youtube gives you the link to the new video, you can post that link in a post here if you want editors in the forum to see it.

Graeme1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/GZgna7hb7Zg
Hi .This is what it looks like. Graeme
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: [youtube]http://youtu.be/GZgna7hb7Zg
Hi .This is what it looks like. Graeme

Yeah, that is bad.

Attached is the MediaInfo on the download from Youtube.
Remember a download from Youtube is only the video after Youtube has processed it. It is not the original video you uploaded.

I would need to see a screen shot of your edit space and a sample of your original video.
You can attach a short sample and your screen shot as an attachment in this forum.

The thing I see in the MediaInfo, the bit rate is terribly low. ( 2 689 Kbps) For a HD video the bit rate needs to be above about 5,000 Kbps (5 Mbps). My HD camera shoots HD video at about 17,000 Kbps. (17 Mbps).

You may need MediaInfo to examine your video files to see what they consist of.

http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

Filename
Produce_1.wmv_(1080p).mp4.txt
[Disk]
 Description
MediaInfo information
 Filesize
5 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
314 time(s)

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2011 10:00

Graeme1946 [Avatar]
[Post New]
[youtube]http://youtu.be/_3CBHeOnViy This a raw video from my camera without any editing.I then saved it to C drive Put it through power Director 10 and save to file, E drive . Very little difference. Put it through PD 10 again and enable all hardware acceleration and viewed through preview window in full HD Resolution It was great. what is going on here?
As I was reading and writing to the same hard disk, E with a USB 2cable it got throttled. When i was editing anything under 1gb with no menus or titles it could handle it. Once above 1gb with the works it collapsed.Purchased a E sata cable and things only got better. Is this possible or am I dreaming.
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: [youtube]http://youtu.be/_3CBHeOnViy This a raw video from my camera without any editing.I then saved it to C drive Put it through power Director 10 and save to file, E drive . Very little difference. Put it through PD 10 again and enable all hardware acceleration and viewed through preview window in full HD Resolution It was great. what is going on here?
As I was reading and writing to the same hard disk, E with a USB 2cable it got throttled. When i was editing anything under 1gb with no menus or titles it could handle it. Once above 1gb with the works it collapsed.Purchased a E sata cable and things only got better. Is this possible or am I dreaming.

I would say yes, it is possible.

You are looking at the difference in transfer speed of different disk connections.

ESATA is the same connection to your hard drive as the SATA internal connection.

USB 2.0 has a theoretical transfer speed of 400 Megabits per second = about 60 Megabytes per second.

It is like comparing a 1/4" pipe to a 1/2" pipe. you can get much greater flow with the 1/2" pipe.

That is why you should copy your video to an internal Hard drive to edit, USB is slow.

Gordonq [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2013 15:04 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, new user to PDR11. Finished my first project, a 1:38 hours blu-ray disk. PDR did a great job and I was a little disappointed that I couldn't burn the full 1080 60p, burn would just allow 60i. The previously produced m2ts file is noticeably better for viewing fast motion. So that's a little introduction to what I'm doing.

My mentioned project was first produced into a m2ts file (at a nice 60p, too). Next I authored a disk and was surprised that it took 2:45 hours. Question is... If the authoring is crunching the data again so much on a file that's already rendered, is the blu-ray disk final product going to have less quality from excessive processing? (is it redoing somewhat what's already been done?)? Should I have just skipped rendering after the editing phase and have just gone to the disk burning phase, skipping a m2ts file creation? (or does it really skip this?)

I wasn't able to locate a more specific answer to this question so I hope I'm asking it in a correct venue.

Bottom line: I'm asking if there is a benefit to going directly to burn after editing.

Thanks, Gordon Gordon
Carl312
[Post New]
Hi, new user to PDR11. Finished my first project, a 1:38 hours blu-ray disk. PDR did a great job and I was a little disappointed that I couldn't burn the full 1080 60p, burn would just allow 60i. The previously produced m2ts file is noticeably better for viewing fast motion. So that's a little introduction to what I'm doing.

There is not an offical 1080 60p format for Bluray.

Here is is list to the supported BluRay formats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Video

The only 1080 Progressive is 24 fps.