Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Authoring and Rendering
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, new user to PDR11. Finished my first project, a 1:38 hours blu-ray disk. PDR did a great job and I was a little disappointed that I couldn't burn the full 1080 60p, burn would just allow 60i. The previously produced m2ts file is noticeably better for viewing fast motion. So that's a little introduction to what I'm doing.

There is not an offical 1080 60p format for Bluray.

Here is is list to the supported BluRay formats.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc#Video

The only 1080 Progressive is 24 fps.
Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Gordonq [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 29, 2013 15:04 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for the link. I'll try 1280×720 60p (16:9) format next. Actually my camera is DV tape so it doesn't take full 1080 resolution, it's the standard NTSC 525 line 60i. I did try authoring the m2ts file from the 60p into 24P and it wasn't a good match-up. It's difficult to go from a 60p rendering into 24p - the motion is "flickery." I found out the reason below.

To get around showing 24 frame film on TVs, I read where the TV industry did a 3:2 pulldown to convert film movies to 60i NTSC broadcast TV. They'd convert 1 film frame into 3 TV video fields and then the next film frame into 2 TV fields and get 24 frames x an average 2.5 fields = exactly 60 interlaced frames for TV. For film media that was filmed only for TV broadcast they'd shoot the film at 30 fps and avoid the 3:2 pulldown altogether because 3:2 can show some motion artifacts.

Taking a NTSC originated avi file (firewire'd from the camera) like mine, rendering it into 60p, and then finally authoring into 24p, PDR wouldn't have any knowledge about the source and a need for 3:2 pulldown. Anyway, the 60p m2ts file that powerdirector did render for my old camera is really beautiful for the way it maintains and actually improves my camera's video (especially with fast motion). I just wish blu-ray would support do the full 1080 x 1920 at 60p so I could see the same result on HDTV (with fast motion) that I see when I play the m2ts on my laptop with a player like powerdvd!

Thanks, Gordon Gordon