Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Worth upgrading PD9 to PD10?
[Post New]
Morning all!

Well, it doesn't seem that long ago I was upgrading PD8 to PD9 and now I pop onto the forum to see that PD10 has been released! Doesn't time fly?!

As an avid PD user, I always like to keep up to date but, as a Scotsman, I'm not so keen on shelling out cash on a regular basis!

Do any of you fine PD experts and novices out there have an opinion as to whether it's really worth upgrading from version 9 to 10? Any ground breaking new features that I simply cannot live without?

Many, many thanks in advance for your opinions!

Regards,

mroshaw
All vodi
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Aug 21, 2009 11:24 Messages: 1431 Offline
[Post New]
PD10 is much more stable and a bit faster than PD9 when running on a fast PC. There are a few new features (none earth shattering, unless 3D is your bag) but if PD9 does what you need then leave well enough alone. Win 10, i7
[Post New]
Hi HDedit and thank you for the response.

Sounds like I'll stay where I am for now!

Regards,

mroshaw
Tomas G77
Member Location: Ayrshire Joined: Jun 13, 2008 08:54 Messages: 100 Offline
[Post New]
Deleted by .

Tomthumb

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2011 05:09

Thomas G
I'm a 33yr old trapped in a 69yr old body
Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Oli,
Good to see you on the forum. OK, I have been using PD10 longer than most and have come across things etc. I really do like PD10. I now have SVRT working for my video when previously .mp4's and mov were excluded. There are a good number of new tools, I like the new drawing tool which overlays onto a project. I used it recently on a map and could add multi-routes. I asked for a free-form type tool for video a while ago and the one delivered by CyberLink is better than I asked for - brilliant if you know how to charge your viewer into a moment of awe!

PD10 Tutorials are available here: http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/19405.page

My advice is for you to download the trial (SVRT is not available in the trial) and test PD10 yourself. PowerDirector 10 full build will sit on the same computer as PD9 - you can have both working together but only for the full build. The trial will sit on the same PC as PD9.

PD10 1012 is stable and enjoyable to use. I have been using (lucky me) PD10 regularly for the past 5 months on two computers with different spec. I have run checks and tests for my own purposes using a whole range of video file formats. I have a 3D camera recording in mts and mp4 3D, I have 3 HD cameras and SD cameras

Try the software and form your own opinion and let me know.

Dafydd
PS I am very careful when editing, I have been so since I started using PC editing software. I save regularly to a new pds each time. Each file is in numerical order. Auto-save offers a double fall-back. I have had product crashes from every video editing software by different companies on a windows system. When a PC is stressed and video editing is stressful, a crash will happen. Video editing will show up weak/poor hardware structure and faltering capabilities in a PC. Well built PC's have less problems. I have built many PC's for my own video editing.

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Nov 19. 2011 05:49

Tomas G77
[Post New]
Deleted By
Tomthumb

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 09. 2011 05:26

Thomas G
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
Tom,
Here's where I step in as the Forum Moderator.
I'm not aware from what you've posted so far on the PD9 and PD10 forum you've used PD10.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/listByUser/47121.page
I am aware that you have had problems previously.

If you have PD10 then I apologise, if you're willing to provide diagnostic files, great, members would be very please to look them over and advise you of the problems you have.

Forum Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2011 11:59

Tomas G77
[Post New]
Deleted
by Tomthumb

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Dec 09. 2011 05:10

Thomas G
warriorfullight [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 09, 2011 06:16 Messages: 10 Offline
[Post New]
Upgrading to the latest version gives advantages and disadvantages. This is normal. That will only depend if the new feature will be useful for you. Otherwise, get used to what you currently have.
MotoRider420 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 00:12 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
Not worth it at all.

The 3D formats are broken and poorly developed.

The software lags 2x as much as PD9-Ultra64.

The rendering is not faster, by any means.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
MotoRider420
Not sure you have a valid point as you're using 2D x2 footage and failing to manually merge the video streams to a Produced file which would become a 3D video!

PD10 does not auto merge two 2D video streams. It does NOT automatically classify your video as being anything other than 2x2D video, which it is. This isn't the fault of the program, it just isn't. You have to edit your footage, you have to create the 3d video from your 2x2D. You have to Produce the 3D video.

I have been answering your posts and attempting to assist and get information from you.
http://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/20531.page

Dafydd

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Dec 18. 2011 13:28

MotoRider420 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2010 00:12 Messages: 31 Offline
[Post New]
I have more than just 3D issues with this program. The 2D files I have tried to render are even worse. Slow, unreliable, etc... The timeline contantly freezes when I try to scan through it, and I can barely split a clip without the whole propgram lockinh up for 2 minutes.
Dafydd B [Avatar]
[Post New]
MotoRider420,
You have yet to provide the diagnostic file requested and screenshots of the Edit Workspace.. This thread was started by another member and it would be much more sensible if you moved back to your own thread and concentrated on
1. learning how to use the program
2. providing the information requested.
The problems you have and the way your computer is reacting has been seen previously by members. While you claim to have a better computer that some, you have yet to provide a diagnostic file which members can help you find what the problem is. Your call - provide the data or button it!

Dafydd