Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Quote Thanks very much for sharing the clip! Like you, I have black/blank video with only the audio working in PD.

I had QuickTime installed from one of my earlier PD versions, and I tried uninstalling that and using QT Lite and trying some of the various settings in that app, but nothing I did would get the clip to work properly in PD. The clip plays fine in VLC, Windows Media Player, Win10's Movies & TV app, by the way.

This is similar to another clip issue (from a dashcam back in Jan), and Cyberlink released an update to deal with the issue.

It seems likely that this will also require a patch to resolve, so please open a support ticket and include the URL of this post in your message (Cyberlink tech support doesn't monitor this forum). Please post back with the ticket number to close the loop.

In the meantime, using your workaround method, or changing the camera setttings to record in H.265 are probably the best options.

thanks Optodata for having a look i have already taken the issue up with Cyberlink support

they are so FRUSTRATING to deal with but i won't go into that here

i sent them a link to the Test vide and everything else they require

i think they know there is a bug,

but thats just my opinion and its the codec used in my opinion

Thanks again

Tom G

I got your PM, and I'd like to try to get the clip shared directly in this thread first. Please take a look at this short video that shows how to paste the Google Drive link here:

If you still have trouble, I'll get the clip from you directly and will share it from my OneDrive folder.

here is the link to H264 fuji file

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1f5dVT1CzUHYU2xsKbJop86ik89jwZEev/view?usp=sharing

Tom G, can you please upload the H.264 clip to OneDrive, Google Drive, DropBox, etc.? The key is seeing and working with the actual clip.

I have sent you a private message Opotdata

here is a link to the Test H264 footage anyone can try and see if it plays in PD 17 its straight from mem card

and i find the only way to play is by converting it to MP4 BUT i dont have to convert if its H265

so i guess its a different codec here is the link if i could find a way to paste it sorry

wont let me paste link so it will have to be sent if i have an email address i think unless someone can advise me another way

Tom G

Tom G
hI again carried out more test's on PD17 and X-T3

I done two short videos this morning about 15sec long

settings are H264 and H265 4K 16.9 Long Gop 24p

straight from mem/card to desktop then opened Pd 17

the H264 files won't play it plays audio only, the H265 plays fine

so my next step was to convert the H264 so I purchased Pavtube video converter,

i converted the H264 to mp4 highest quality 24p 4096 x 2160 kept the same settings so the H264 NOW play fine

why wont the H264 play when I import them to PD 17 just don't understand this

and the H265 files play fine. baffles me.

mabey some one with the Fuji X-T3 could try the same using the settings i have mentioned above

anyway i will let you all know what cyberlink tech say thought i would not think they will get to the bottom of this sooon

Thank you all for the response and positive comments

anyone with advice as i said i have purchased Pav/converter and its very good in my opinion.

Tom G
Hi again and Thank you for the replies,

i will try and attach some files here is the dxdiag

also error code attached plus one more

I have been doing some tests with pd17 Ultra so far this morning i done some 15seconds of video on my X-T3

I HAVE h264 4096 x2160 files that will import into pd17 and play sound only when i put on timeline error code 2 comes up

tried with shadow files and without just the same also done the optimise Graphics

here is the strand thing i also done a short clip using h265 AND THE PLAY OK with shadow and without

so the problem seems to be with the H264 files i done the video this morning within seconds of each other

h264 WILL NOT work audio onle and the H265 will work

any advice welcome.

so far Cyberlink help is well not very good in the fact that when you write to them and tell them your P.C./Laptop is up to speck

and you have 64gig ram and use SSD - DRIVES and a 6820HK processor they come back and ask STUPID questions that you have

already answered,

i don't think they read what you write half the tme,

and my files open in other programes i copyed them to thum driive and tried them on another P.C/Laptop

the H264 FILES open in Prem Pro, Davinci Resolve,

i would uplode a 15sec sample

here if i could but its 1.25GIG

maybe someone with the X-T 3 could try h264 4k L-Gop 24F and then try PD 17 and let me know if it works

why would H265 work and H264 Not work

Anyway ranted enough all help appreciated

i will keep you posted with Cyberlink help and what they say??
Hi all just purchased the PD17 Ultra today because it says it handles 4k ??

I just installed the programe I have the Fuji X-T3 CAMERA so that is the video files i have to use they are
( 24p 4096 x 2160 HVEC 264 )

Error code 2 can anyone advise me on this please,

I'am useing win10/64bit nivida drivers, all updated to the latest also using ssd-drives, 64gig ram,

so done my homework and PD got a good review, but looking not so good at this moment in time,

but 4k seems to have a problem

I tried it with the shadow files get audio no picture, tried without shadow files audio no picture,

tried with hardware enabled no joy disabled hardware no joy,

any help much appreciated Thank you

Tom

update
I have just sent an email to Cyberlink regarding the Media error code 2,

they do no about this I'm sure,
its just gettin a fix i hope its soon i can not be botherd with the hassel of getting a refund etc.

Tom
Thank you for the reply pepsi

will purchase PD 17 shortly

Thank you Tom G
Hi there before I make a new purchase of PD-17 can I have some advice please

will PD-17 open the 4096 x 2160 filmed with the HEVC 265 CODEC

do i have to convert them first, or create proxy files then export at 4K

if so I take it that it would be mp4 yes/no or is there a better format that PD will handle

can you advise me of the best converter for the above files

I have about 50 video clips all about 1min long need to convert to something that PD will handle

and need High Quality output they have to be uploaded at full 4k Resolution

can someone tell me there workflow for the above files

Thank you in advance

Tom G
Quote just to let you know there's a new Nividia driver out today 24/10/2017

check out there website

Tom G Scotland

Thank you Tom!

However I beleive this update only adds new drivers sections for new cards, nothing changes in depth..

What about you vote?

Are you with me?

yes I'm with you
just to let you know there's a new Nividia driver out today 24/10/2017

check out there website

Tom G Scotland
SO you are the ONE and only LOLsurprisedsurprisedsurprised

Tom G Scotland
Quote I thought to let anotehr voice be heard.

To me, the new PowerDirector 16 is a huge update. This is because to me 360 editing is the main reason to use it. From where I stand, there are also thousands of potential new users to be gained for the new version. Those camera's are hugely popular these days, and there are not a lot of editors that can handle them. And far less even when it comes to affordable, (prosumer oriented ones.

Let's also not forget that getting new customers also increases the revenue that can go into developing future versions.

The main selling point to me is the new 360 stabiliser function. This is something you don't find in any other affordable editor at the moment and it does a spectacular job. I can really say at this point the 70,- upgrade saves me 300,- which I would have spent next month on a 360 motorised gimbal (370,- a piece). If I wanted this with other software, I'ld need to buy a much more expensive or a subscription based editor and another expensive plugin.

Just look at what difference this makes for 360 enthusiasts. I created a dog walking video recently, which was quite shaky. Looking at it was hard, let alone watching it in VR goggles: instant motion sickness. Now I re-did the same video on PD 16 with the stabiliser. It is a world of difference! Check it out yourself:

Original: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je_2bcqaTKs

Stabilised version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwT0hFnt66k

Apart from the stabiliser, the little planet video function in the View Designer is also a great addition. I used to be making these in a different program, a free editor from a known 360 camera, but that was limited to a lower resolution output (max res of that particular camera). Another editor from the Kodak 4KVR360 camera I own offers similar function in a new version, but without keyframing or editing afterwards. It just records what you do to the video with your mouse and outputs that. Would I want better, again I would have to buy the expensive editor and plugin, but now I can do it in PD.

Another function I am excited about but what needs some more attention is the Start view function. This works really well when you rotate around the Y-axis, but messes up when using X or Z axis. I've opened up a support ticket and hope they can improve on it.

To Cyberlink: I would really hope they can add keyframing and a stable horizontal plane to the 360 Start View

The improved placement of 360 titles and PIP's are also good improvements to the 360 toolkit.

On another chapter I'm very happy with the new included Boris effects. They yield not only great effects (I'm particularly fond of the Fast Film Process effect) but I'm also very happy they are fully integrated in PD, so no editing in separate, standalone plugins like ProDAD.

I do see some things need refining (like 360 Start View), I'm sure patches will follow, but overall I'm very happy with the new version. The 360 improvements are tremendously useful and I'm sure this will also attract many new users.

I would like to have seen import of dual fisheye footage, so a stitcher in PD, but that can wait, I can do it in the cam software. Looking forward to future developments!

regards, Frank

so you are the One?? LOLcoolcool
Quote Well, okay, maybe "stopped" was too strong a word. (Am not a Netflix subscriber.) But I thought that they moved the majority of their business to digital delivery years ago.

It would be interesting to know the sales stats for Blu-ray players. Especially in this age of Smart TV's, Roku, etc.

Well, for sure, the majority of their sales are through the streaming service. But - until they can really perfect the streaming protocol - it's still hard to match the quality of an actual blu-ray. The standard h.265 comes even closer, but side-by-side it's not quite there...at least on a big monitor or TV. On a mobile device it's not nearly as noticeable, and that's where most people are streaming from. So, you're probably right that eventually it will almost all be streaming (I imagine that some people, like myself, still will be willing to pay extra for the best possible quality).

Russell1967

Hi Russell 1967

i create a video file with h264 and export it as a file for my usb-3 and it plays fine i tried the h265 but it would not play on my T.V. would this not work with blu-ray i dont bother with blu-ray i dont no much abot the blu-ray so i stand to be corrected

with someone whom does have knowledge of this

Tom G Scotland
Quote I think I have to side with Tony in this area. We see lots of "complaints" about too many bells and whistles (whatever that means to each of us) and yet some of us are disappointed by the lack of new features we want. Like many, I don't use anything to do with 360 but it's out there so .......

I take the view that each of us can assess the merits of the latest offering and invest, or not, accordingly. To debate personal preferences is sort of interesting but quite often just results in an agreement to differ. Personally, I would NEVER buy a straight red car, hate them, don't like the colour, it fades etc. etc. but there are a shedload of red cars sold every year, I can't understand it but.....

My experience with PDR16 to date, which is only a few days obviously, is that there a some things of interest (to me) I like the ability to grab the volume band of a clip and raise it up or down, pressing ctrl gives the usual keyframe point insertion, wish the opacity band behaved the same but maybe later??

I haven't explored the latest CLUT, color handling or edge enhancements but I have a dive video to do after the current wedding video so I'll see.

My impression is that PDR16 is a bit quicker loading and a bit quicker overall, but I haven't tested that quantitatively.

The video collage designer follows the previous designer themes, some nice touches but strictly limited in the "design" element, but great for a quick and effective collage.

Haven't come across any problems yet, but it's only a few days so we shall see.

So, whilst I respect the opinion of other members, I find it difficult to participate in a post that just says "Not worth updating" or "who cares about a, b, or c..." because, without any decent reasoning to give any context, it's just personal preference at the end of the day - like the red car!!!!

I'll keep my head down now.

Adrian.

BUT you did participate and all opinions are welcome

including yours,

Thank you to all whom replied and mad a lot of valid points

just proves a point this should have been an upgrade say 15.5

and Cyberlink should have taken ther time to make some decent improvements and fix the bugs that are still present

but I suppose its all about monies they want your monies but dont want to do a lot to get it as version 16 proves my point

with the response this thread got then i need say no more ??

no 4K video burning in PowerDirector 16.
No Titler Pro supported platforms
no Chapters, If producing MKV H. 264

there's a lot more that could have been fixed,

but this version put out with no thought for the customers only greed for your monies

Tom G Scotland
Quote Hi Tom,

You cane very close to violating number 6 here.

You are free to express your opinion but not to advertise a specific competitors software with a recommendation.

Please edit your post or don't be surprised if yoiur post disappears.

BTW, the DVD maing process in that software is terrible.

I strongly disagree with your comments

I NEVER RECOMENDED ANY SOFTWARE I said Pinnacle Studio MAY do better but I'm not recomending it at all

I'm quiet sure Cyberlink users are not stupid to think version 16 is any sort of upgrade

I have altered my post to ( other softwaer may do better I hope this satisfies you )

to much political correctness in the 21st centuary

freedome of speech appears to be getting banned more and more eh

Have a nice day

Tom G Scotland

Tom G Scotland
Not worth updating from version 15 to 16 so I will not bother

whats new NOT A LOT 360% how many users interested in that?

it still has a lot of the same little bugs carried over from v-15

how many others on the Forum think its a wast of time updating to v-16

there must be more than me

above is just my opinion, Its more PD 15.5 and I think its just to get your monies I will wait for version 17 and hope

for a decent update, in the meantime other software does more

but if some one can tell me whats been a significant improvement other than 360% then let me no

Thank You

Tom G Scotland
YOU miss the point completley

i would just like the interface front end to be a little more professional like insted of the child like interface

simple

thats all i have to say on the matter don't bother replying

i have made my point and if you can not see what iam driving at then just leave it hanging

simple

Tom G
I want a complete redesigned front end something like Premiere-Pro

and working as good as that does although very expensive to own

Tom G
Quote I can not be bothered getting into a slanging match with you or anyone else But I have been editing video for som 25yrs

and I know what I'm talking about

I'll come back to that.

Quote as I said the harddrive is causing a bottle neck one harddrive on an edit system is just asking for trouble

And 20 years ago I would have trusted you on that, when everyone was using mechanical drives that had to accellerate and decelerate read/write heads as they worked on several files that were spread out over the disk area, which caused horrible random access performance. SSD solved that for good and with M.2 and the new NVM cards parallel access to several files is once more optimized.

Quote now go watch some tutorials and come back when you learn something

True, I've never watched any of those. So let's look at the first three that Google spits out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-xCVQ6HuQ8 - They edit higher resolution content (4K/1080p) and use one SSD that's connected via SATA together with a regular HDD (for the big files I assume). In case of PowerDirector we would be working with shadow files on the SSD.) They claim that the CPU is the most important part of any video editing computer, which supports what I said above. The graphics card can be anything in the mid-range. They also use 16 GiB of DDR4 RAM and consider it a "decent amount for 4K resolution". As for RAM upgrades they projected the following numbers...

Rendering 4K video with different amounts of RAM, with 16 GiB being the base:

32 GiB: +15% to +20%
64 GiB: +30%

They go on and claim that for video editing the difference of SSD vs. HDD isn't really that important. I see how that is likely true for the rendering tasks, but jumping in the timeline and actually working in the editor should be more snappy with an SSD.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XxI-LvwtkHM - "Memory is also very important for video editing machines. Definitely if you're working with 4K footage. We're suggesting a minimum of 16 GB, but if you can please think about going to 32GB or even 64GB if you wich to stay away from the limits." - That again would suggest that for Jeremy's 720p 16 GiB is plenty.

"Some people will tell you it's the graphics card, but in reality you want to spend most of your budget on the CPU. Having multiple cores will increase your rendering power as well. The graphics card is less important […]" - Between the lines you may read that multi-core CPUs will improve rendering, but for the editing itself it depends on the quality of the software if it can make good use of many cores. Otherwise a high clock speed is more important.

"[…] for storing your video files, even a normal hard drive would be enough." - Again the same claim as above.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaNZRz0E8XY&list=PL0EHp46PT0fGKdc4kjIOAXYMwvH1sKgR5 - Uses 32 GiB of RAM and two SSDs. The build is "centered around" the 8 core AMD CPU. One SSD is used as the C: drive, the other larger one as the scratch drive. The introduction assumed some prior knowledge on photo/video editing PCs, so did not explain why the components were chosen. It also wasn't clear what kind of video his client would work with.

The bottom line is, none of the tutorials supported the idea that multiple SSDs are necessary for video editing for performance reasons. The CPU was always considered the weak link or most important part by far.

Quote I answered the post to try and help I'm not wanting a slanging match with someone whom thinks one harddrive is sufficent

And I would have answered the question the exact opposite way: Forget about extra RAM and disks, focus on the CPU frequency. If you really want to help poeple, be open to new information even if it contradicts your experience. We all are prone to confirmation bias. In other words, if the experience is 20 years old, maybe it is time to start from a clean slate.

Quote simply you don't have a clue with statements like that

end of story

have a nice day

Tom G

I wish you a nice day, too. Sorry for the wall of text.

There seem to be enough NO-ALL's on this forum so I will butt out

editing true 4k video say 1hour or two hours with one HD it must be a very large HD ?

PD just could not do that heck even Premiere pro coughs

think about what you are saying with all the cuts/fades/adding graphics/text/audio/ on a one hour 4k video with one HD

total BS

but it is true if you are only doing 5mins of 4k thats ok but not a full hour of footage with one HD

total BS and if its tried or some say they have done it with 4k then their system must have been crawling if they were using PD

and thats a fact

have a nice day and happy Pagan festival tongue-out

Tom G
Quote PD 15 is not useless but it may be your computer that has the problem

and Carl 312 was pointing you in the right direction so listen to the advice??

one harddrive just won't cut it with video editing and your 16GB memory is borderline

get an othe ssd drive at least 500Gig for the scratch disk and update your memory

nothing wrong with the speed of PD so sort out your computer its not as fast as you think

its to slow for PD 15 and your harddrive is causing a bottleneck trying to read and write back and forth on the same drive as your

operating system JUST WON'T WORK thats the main problem.

I would also suggest you look at some up to date tutorials on how to setup a video edit system

have a nice day Tom G

Tom G

I hope you are not offended when I say that I get the impression that you try to justify having spent so much money on the latest hardware. If the question was, whether jeremy's rig is adequate for editing the given source material (720p), I would say "Yes, by a large margin". An expensive large SSD or more RAM is not going to make the user interface more responsive under that workload, simply because that material has been edited swiftly with shadow files (aka proxies) on far weaker systems back in the days. Other consumer oriented video editing software (there are two or three comparable to PD) could also be tested with a similar workload to see if editing must be that slow or if they use an obvious trick to be faster.

The only hardware items that should have an effect on editing speed are the CPU frequency & generation and RAM speed. (GPU effects aside.) The CPU frequency is awesome and the RAM - I presume - is fast, too. Any hardware bottlenecks are ruled out in my opinion. That leaves us with the software side. Do you have any codec packs installed? I could imagine in theory, that if an external codec was used, that is slow to use for still frame extrction the way it happens when editing in PD, it could slow down the whole application. Are the shadow files ready and the preview quality set to "normal" or lower, so they get used? Did you try disabling the "continuous thumbnails for easy scene recognition"? You'll only see the first video frame for each clip, but it is faster. The same goes for "audio waveforms". Most importantly though: How big is your project? In PD 12 I once had a 4 hour long 1920x1080@50p project with lots of clips and well over a thousand animated still images, that would become slow to edit on the now six year old office notebook I was using back then. Also the occasional longer pauses in the interface were caused by the autosave feature, which would work for a minute or so without a visual feedback.

Don't worry about the free disk space on that SSD unless PD stops writing shadow files. (It tries to keep a certain percentage of disk space free). Performance-wise, a good small M.2 SSD beats an SATA SSD hands down by a factor of 3 to 5, because SATA is limited to ~650 MB/s. More RAM will not give you as much of an advantage since your SSD is already "only" about 10x slower than RAM, while with a mechanical HDD the factor is 1000x and more. Figure this: In the time PD hangs - let's assume 1 second - your SSD can sequentially read more than half an hour of 720p material (assuming an overall bitrate of 10,5 Mbit/s and a Samsung SSD 950 Pro M.2).

I can not be bothered getting into a slanging match with you or anyone else But I have been editing video for som 25yrs

and I know what I'm talking about

as I said the harddrive is causing a bottle neck one harddrive on an edit system is just asking for trouble

now go watch some tutorials and come back when you learn something

I answered the post to try and help I'm not wanting a slanging match with someone whom thinks one harddrive is sufficent

simply you don't have a clue with statements like that

end of story

have a nice day

Tom G
Go to: