Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Audio is silenced
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Great news! the HotFix just posted by PDM lets PDR365 play DD5.1 audio again on my Surface Book 3 even with both problematic KB updates installed
ELMO5530 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 05, 2014 10:08 Messages: 11 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Great news! the HotFix just posted by PDM lets PDR365 play DD5.1 audio again on my Surface Book 3 even with both problematic KB updates installed

This is indeed great news!! laughing
Thank you for sharing this in this topic.

After restoring Win10 with PD19 and installing the Fix it works!!!

Sofar I only focussed on the Editing part.

Now I am a bit puzzled on the producing part.
I can't produce m2ts with DD5.1
I can produce a BlueRay stream with DTS5.1. Sound Quality is nearly the same as DD5.1 but cannot play sound in Windows 10 (need another player)
I can produce MP4 with AAC5.1. Video 50 frame/s. Sound quality is less than DD5.1 or DTS 5.1 and the file size is huge.

I am curious how you/others handle that.

Again, thank you for sharing.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Hmm, it looks like there's still more work to do before the issue is resolved.

I also don't have the option to produce to DD5.1, even when using the Best Matched Profile from the Profile Analyzer. PD17 has no trouble with the same clip and same profile:

Both projects are set to use 5.1 Surround sound and have a timeline framerate of 50fps (PAL). I can't use SVRT or my nVidia GPU to produce with PD365; only CPU-producing is available for some reason.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hmm, it looks like there's still more work to do before the issue is resolved.

I also don't have the option to produce to DD5.1, even when using the Best Matched Profile from the Profile Analyzer. PD17 has no trouble with the same clip and same profile:

Appears like you are still thinking some version of PD19 will support DD5.1 output, I do not believe it will. CL even so states on PD19 requirements

*** Importing video with Dolby Digital audio is only supported on Windows 8/10 with Windows inbox codec.
**** Exporting video with Dolby Digital 2ch audio is only supported on Windows 8/10 with Windows inbox codec.

You can only produce DD 2ch if you select it, for any media content like BD, DVD,...it was removed.

Yes, PD17 supported, as well as many other older versions and still do, even with sited KB's installed. You will also find no reference at all to DD in the PD19 help guide, not even the license note.

I think the hotfix was just addressing some anomaly that occurred with the KB's and CL's new no independent DD support except as offered by OS.

Jeff
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Hmm, it looks like there's still more work to do before the issue is resolved.

Both projects are set to use 5.1 Surround sound and have a timeline framerate of 50fps (PAL). I can't use SVRT or my nVidia GPU to produce with PD365; only CPU-producing is available for some reason.

Hello,

This is expected, as Dolby 5.1 output has never been available in PowerDirector 19. This is because only Dolby Stereo is available in Windows 8/10. See this FAQ:

https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24372

Dolby Stereo is available when creating a custom profile. Users can also use the MKV container to output audio in DTS 5.1, or MP4/MKV to output in AAC 5.1.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
optodata
[Post New]
Thanks to both of you for clarifying.

I only have a passing experience working with anything beyond stereo clips and I hadn't considered how many limitations and interactions there are between the various technologies, Windows versions and PD versions. I clearly must have the inbox codec installed because I can import DD5.1 clips and produce with DD stereo, but it sounds like that's the end of the line.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 22. 2021 23:17

ELMO5530 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks to both of you for clarifying.

I only have a passing experience working with anything beyond stereo clips and I hadn't considered how many limitations and interactions there are between the various technologies, Windows versions and PD versions. I clearly must have the inbox codec installed because I can import DD5.1 clips and produce with DD stereo, but it sounds like that's the end of the line.

You are quiet right. The variations and limitations are numerous and IMHO not always logical.

I did some testing (not scientifically) and I would like to share the results as in the attachment. ( i dont know how to put it in this text.
I took a clip with a lot of fast moving action (wakeboarding and surfing). The result was tested on my PC i7 10700 32GB with RTX 3060Ti and Intel NUC i5. I used Windows Films and TV, Windows Mediaplayer and VLC.
[Thumb - PD19 test.jpg]
 Filename
PD19 test.jpg
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
815 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote You are quiet right. The variations and limitations are numerous and IMHO not always logical.

I did some testing (not scientifically) and I would like to share the results as in the attachment. ( i dont know how to put it in this text.
I took a clip with a lot of fast moving action (wakeboarding and surfing). The result was tested on my PC i7 10700 32GB with RTX 3060Ti and Intel NUC i5. I used Windows Films and TV, Windows Mediaplayer and VLC.

I don't see a lot of non-logical attributes in your table on first scan, just a few but probably more user error.
1) TT5 file size 68MB is odd, however, stated profile of m2ts, H.264 50i 11Mbps is not a default profile so probably some entry error??
2) TT8-10, Don't believe DTS5.1 will be available for the m2ts container, entry error??
3) TT10, HWC should be available, probably a local platform issue

Hardware decoding and encoding are two entirely different feature sets. Many more formats are applicable to decode with a RTX3060 vs encode, that is the hardware side.

Jeff
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thanks to both of you for clarifying.

Yep, end of the line, at least for this version of PD19 as I see it. The MS Media Foundations, provided since WIN 8, only supports encoding of DD 2 ch. So once PD pulled prior license option for DD like you show in your PD17 version and went to Windows provided codec option as CL shows requirements in footnotes, DD5.1 encoding capability was lost as it's not a feature set of MS Media Foundations.

That is also the main reason PD18/PD19 on a WIN7 box lacks capability as was noted in CL FAQ, https://www.cyberlink.com/support/faq-content.do?id=24372 Migration to OS DD feature set vs prior, WIN7 does not support MS Media Foundations.

Jeff

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Apr 23. 2021 11:40

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Good catch Jeff on that ELMO5530 chart. I have not experimented to see if a PD19 mkv file with DTS5.1 audio can be made into a m2ts file in an earlier version of PD.

The blu-ray stream with DD5.1 is best produced with a previous version PD13 to 17 using SVRT as shown in optodata’s screenshots above. SVRT has been reported broken earlier in PD365.

You could edit and produce your videos in PD19 and then author and create the BD in an earlier version of PD to use say DD 2ch or maybe 5.1. That would save on disc space when compared to LPCM or DTS5.1 audio. It’s 1536 Kbps vs 256 Kbps which should allow 2 hours of avchd 1080/50 or 60p 28 Mbps material to be on a 25 GB BD Disc.

You need to experiment with your Nvidia video encoding. I have found Intel QS encoding of m2ts 1080/60p and 720/60p video are compliant with SVRT in making a low bit rate BD Disc while the same using Nvidia encoding are not SVRT compliant and must be re-encoded again in creating the BD folder.

Elmo - I beleive that you have enough info to start experimenting. All you need now is to obtain a previous version of PD to create what you want: a 1080/50i or 50p Blu-ray disc.
ELMO5530 [Avatar]
[Post New]

I don't see a lot of non-logical attributes in your table on first scan, just a few but probably more user error.
1) TT5 file size 68MB is odd, however, stated profile of m2ts, H.264 50i 11Mbps is not a default profile so probably some entry error??
2) TT8-10, Don't believe DTS5.1 will be available for the m2ts container, entry error??
3) TT10, HWC should be available, probably a local platform issue

Hardware decoding and encoding are two entirely different feature sets. Many more formats are applicable to decode with a RTX3060 vs encode, that is the hardware side.

Jeff

re the table.

1. TT5 Typo: 11Mbps should be 21Mbps as reported in the attributes of the file. Setting was 24Mbps.

2. TT8-10 Were produced as a BluRay disk where I extracted the m2ts Stream. No Hardware Coding selectable. There it is possible to choose DTS5.1. My question is then: WHY NOT in the standard file production? Safes a lot of hassle.

3. TT10 see 2.

Hardware Coding is not always selectable although and I noticed that the GPU always is activated for Decoding and sometimes for Encoding, I wrote down the max. percentage of the GPU usage if applicable. I can only guess why there is no maximum usage of the GPU.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote re the table.

1. TT5 Typo: 11Mbps should be 21Mbps as reported in the attributes of the file. Setting was 24Mbps.

2. TT8-10 Were produced as a BluRay disk where I extracted the m2ts Stream. No Hardware Coding selectable. There it is possible to choose DTS5.1. My question is then: WHY NOT in the standard file production? Safes a lot of hassle.

3. TT10 see 2.

Hardware Coding is not always selectable although and I noticed that the GPU always is activated for Decoding and sometimes for Encoding, I wrote down the max. percentage of the GPU usage if applicable. I can only guess why there is no maximum usage of the GPU.

It was unclear to me what you meant by BluRay stream in remarks. It's listed for TT11 with mkv container and H.265 which PD simply cannot do in the "Create Disc" module, only in "Produce"

CL removed Nvidia hardware encoding in the "Create Disc' module for basic H.264 BD disc creation at a PD14 patch because of playback issues for some users and they never put the effort in to resolve, they simply removed it as a option.

Jeff
ELMO5530 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It was unclear to me what you meant by BluRay stream in remarks. It's listed for TT11 with mkv container and H.265 which PD simply cannot do in the "Create Disc" module, only in "Produce"

CL removed Nvidia hardware encoding in the "Create Disc' module for basic H.264 BD disc creation at a PD14 patch because of playback issues for some users and they never put the effort in to resolve, they simply removed it as a option.

Jeff

The BluRay remark was not in the correct line. It should have been for TT8-10.
It was back and forth testing in all the different settings. It was a bit challenging to place the data in the list innocent

I find it still a pity that it is so difficult to preserve the excellent quality of de clips from my Sony Camcorder after video editing.
In PD14 I had good result with m2ts 50i ~16Mbps Dolby Digital 5.1
The closest to that is TT8 where I had to had to use the BluRay workaround. Strange then is that I must play it in VLC because there is no sound in the standard Windows10 app Movie and TV. Where Dollby Digital 5.1 is no problem.

PD14 on my i7 3rd gen PC took a lot of time to produce.
That's why I spent 1800 Euros for a new workstation and PD19. Sofar only the producing speed is far better. Although it would be better if the GPU encoder also could be used for m2ts 50i and 50p instead of only for mp4, mkv or 24p.
The three days I spent sofar in searching for comparable quality didn't give me very much fun neither spectacular result.
I will probably go for (TT10) BluRay m2ts H.264 50p 28mbps DTS5.1 or (TT12) mkv H.264 50p 28y AAC5.1

Anyway thanks all for the help and specially optodata for the hint to the hotfix.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote That's why I spent 1800 Euros for a new workstation and PD19. Sofar only the producing speed is far better. Although it would be better if the GPU encoder also could be used for m2ts 50i and 50p instead of only for mp4, mkv or 24p.
The three days I spent sofar in searching for comparable quality didn't give me very much fun neither spectacular result.
I will probably go for (TT10) BluRay m2ts H.264 50p 28mbps DTS5.1 or (TT12) mkv H.264 50p 28y AAC5.1

As mentioned prior, the GPU can encode m2ts 50p H.264 from the "Produce" module, pic attached.

Your RTX3060 will not hardware encode any "i" settings as the hardware does not support that. Buy a different GPU that supports "i" encoding if that was your use case.

Jeff
[Thumb - PD19_m2ts50p_HWC.png]
 Filename
PD19_m2ts50p_HWC.png
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
412 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
9 time(s)
Zatarain [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 14, 2020 07:26 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Great news! the HotFix just posted by PDM lets PDR365 play DD5.1 audio again on my Surface Book 3 even with both problematic KB updates installed

The Hotfix worked on my end as well. Thanks for the post!
ELMO5530 [Avatar]
[Post New]

As mentioned prior, the GPU can encode m2ts 50p H.264 from the "Produce" module, pic attached.

Your RTX3060 will not hardware encode any "i" settings as the hardware does not support that. Buy a different GPU that supports "i" encoding if that was your use case.

Jeff

Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.
The GPU does not always code m2ts.

As a sample file I used 2 clips. In both clips the Retouch functions Video stabilizer and audio noise filter are used.
There is one crossing. (I have a Dutch version so I do not know the exact English words for it)
Total length is 26 seconds.

These are my requirements:

• I want 1920*1080 50i or 50p

• I don't want TTS for audio because it results in muffled sound. (This is the only selection possibility in your example)

• I want to avoid mp4 because I only can select 40 mbps resulting in a huge (1,5x) file

That narrows it down to m2ts or mkv.

MKV I can select H.264 AVC 1920x1080/50p 28 Mbps and choose between AAC 5.1 or DTS 5.1.
Unfortunately MKV gave problems with playing on my media NUC.

So m2ts it should be. But due to the restriction of not using TTS the only way I can produce m2ts with DTS5.1 is using the workaround with BluRay production.

There I can select H.264 with DTS 5.1 (Why not AAC 5.1?)
Then I can choose between 50i with 24Mbps and 50p with 28Mbps.
The GPU will not be used for 50i due to a decision made by NVDIA.

When I produce the H.264 HD1920x1080/50p 28 Mbps the GPU encoder is NOT used.
It takes 14 seconds to produce a clip of 26 second.

Then I go to the BluRay folder STREAM and copy the m2ts file.

I anyone has a better suggestion I would be glad to know.
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote Thank you for responding. Much appreciated.
The GPU does not always code m2ts.

As a sample file I used 2 clips. In both clips the Retouch functions Video stabilizer and audio noise filter are used.
There is one crossing. (I have a Dutch version so I do not know the exact English words for it)
Total length is 26 seconds.

It is being used for encoding in the "Produce" module, it's just that your CPU is the bottleneck and probably running 100% as the CPU has to do the color retouch and video stabilizer prior to handing to the encoder. This color retouch and video stabilizer are computationally intensive in PD so the GPU is just loafing waiting for the CPU to give it something to encode.

These are my requirements:

• I want 1920*1080 50i or 50p

• I don't want TTS for audio because it results in muffled sound. (This is the only selection possibility in your example)

• I want to avoid mp4 because I only can select 40 mbps resulting in a huge (1,5x) file

Your requirements say nothing about audio, my example did not use TTS, just AAC 2 channel. You can always select the "+" sign next to profile name and change video and/or audio bitrate to suite your needs. Change 40Mbps video bitrate to 20Mbps if that's what you prefer for smaller file.

Quote MKV I can select H.264 AVC 1920x1080/50p 28 Mbps and choose between AAC 5.1 or DTS 5.1.
Unfortunately MKV gave problems with playing on my media NUC.

So m2ts it should be. But due to the restriction of not using TTS the only way I can produce m2ts with DTS5.1 is using the workaround with BluRay production.

There I can select H.264 with DTS 5.1 (Why not AAC 5.1?)
Then I can choose between 50i with 24Mbps and 50p with 28Mbps.
The GPU will not be used for 50i due to a decision made by NVDIA.

The BD spec does not allow AAC5.1 audio, that's why no option in the "Create Disc" module, it's simply not compatible when creating a BD.

Quote When I produce the H.264 HD1920x1080/50p 28 Mbps the GPU encoder is NOT used.

If you are talking the "Create Disc" module, correct, as I indicated prior, PD removed Nvidia encoding feature since PD14 in the "Create Disc" module for BD H.264.

I guess as tomasc indicated prior, you have enough info to start experimenting and resolve what works for you and your playback equipment.

Jeff
ELMO5530 [Avatar]
[Post New]

It is being used for encoding in the "Produce" module, it's just that your CPU is the bottleneck and probably running 100% as the CPU has to do the color retouch and video stabilizer prior to handing to the encoder. This color retouch and video stabilizer are computationally intensive in PD so the GPU is just loafing waiting for the CPU to give it something to encode.

Your requirements say nothing about audio, my example did not use TTS, just AAC 2 channel. You can always select the "+" sign next to profile name and change video and/or audio bitrate to suite your needs. Change 40Mbps video bitrate to 20Mbps if that's what you prefer for smaller file.

The BD spec does not allow AAC5.1 audio, that's why no option in the "Create Disc" module, it's simply not compatible when creating a BD.

If you are talking the "Create Disc" module, correct, as I indicated prior, PD removed Nvidia encoding feature since PD14 in the "Create Disc" module for BD H.264.

I guess as tomasc indicated prior, you have enough info to start experimenting and resolve what works for you and your playback equipment.

Jeff

Jeff and tomasc thank you very much for the reactions.
The Audio must indeed be 5.1

In PD14 it was not necessary to change a profile. Therefor I didn't even knew it was possible!
RTFM embarassed
So now I will proceed with MP4 1920x1080/28Mbps AAC5.1
GPU is used and the processing speed is good.
Video and sound quality are good and I can play it on my systems.

Again thanks all for helping me out.
This topic is resolved for me.