Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Not enough system memory question....
[Post New]
so wait a minute why does this product say it support core i7 if i have to disable 6 of my cores for it to render a HD video file. i just upgraded to this version from version 7 in hopes that this software would finally function as advertised and now i feel very cheated in this workaround to create a dvd using HD video. is this something that going to get addressed soon because right now i find it completely unacceptable for cyberlink to sell me a product where one of its main component isnt even completely properly working. a response to my question would be greatly appreciated thanks.

I've tried encoding the hd video with 4 cores on and the program crashes 90% of the way this is freaking ridiculous that i have actually paid for a piece of software that does not work. not even when vista first launched was it ever this useless. i expect this to be either fixed or be refunded my money because right now i feel that i have been robbed. Cyberlink needs to get there act together becuase this version advertises support for i7 processors and it clearly does not. I have no idea how pc world gave this program an 85% review and have no mention of this issue.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 14. 2009 09:27

Dafydd B [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 26, 2006 08:20 Messages: 11973 Offline
[Post New]
Josh, I've sent you a PM. Please read and supply if possible.

I'll write the PM now

Dafydd
[Moderator]
David [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 10, 2009 04:50 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Hi dafydd, I'm glad I found this post (as a link from another one). My system has this rendering crash issue on 1920x1080 hd video as well. I'm rather unhappy about (almost having to purchase) a competitor, because it renders at the speed of molasses. I'd prefer to buy PD8 based on features + render speed!

My system is an AMD Phenom2 X3 (3-core). I have been using the Build 2013 trial version. Can you tell me if this rendering bug / memory issue is fully understood by the programmers? Is a bugfix release planned already?

If there is a fix soon enough, I will do another trial of PowerDirector before I make my final purchase decision. But that's coming up fast. Looking forward to your response,

Dave
Mike L [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Toronto, Canada Joined: Dec 20, 2009 14:47 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
I am very new to PD (literally just days) and I was quite happy with it until I also encountered this problem when rendering to 1080 AVCHD.

I'm running PD8 Ultra ver 8.00.2220c.

Seeing that the last post in this thread was over 2 months ago, I'm guessing nothing much has changed. I'm also fairly sure I'm on the latest version.

This is rather disappointing for a product that claims to be optimized for the latest CPU's like Core i7. | PD8 Ultra v8.00.2220c | Win7 Ultimate 64bit | Intel Core i7 920 | OCZ 3 x 2GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX275 nVidia | Acer B273HU 27" | 1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA | 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA | Antec P193 Case | Camera: Canon Vixia HF20 |
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Mike -

You're right about all of that. You have the latest version. Nothing has changed at the user end on the i7 issue (it's with CL R&D). It is disappointing to have a mighty machine like yours, only to have to choke it to render some video.

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Mike L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Value for money, I still think it's a good product. But I could honestly do without a bunch of the features, and just have a solid tool to edit videos with nice transitions, and be able to render them nice and fast. That is after all the only reason I chose the components that are in this machine... | PD8 Ultra v8.00.2220c | Win7 Ultimate 64bit | Intel Core i7 920 | OCZ 3 x 2GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX275 nVidia | Acer B273HU 27" | 1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA | 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA | Antec P193 Case | Camera: Canon Vixia HF20 |
bombeiro [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 03, 2010 21:19 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I have had the same issue. I have a I7 920, ATI RADEON 5750 1GB DDR3, 6G DDR3. I have spent hours creating a video with PD8 and randomly it will just crash on me. I have learned to save my work often. Then I went to render and it was nightmare. I spent all day trying to get it to work and eventually I found this forum. I changed the cores to 2 cores and tried to burn to a DVD HQ and it still crashed on me I do not know if I was trying to many effects or what I could not get it to go past 4% without getting a memory error. So I tried to produce it as a mpeg2. I tried HD 1080 and 720 and finally DVD HQ. It finally worked with dvd HQ. So after it saved as a mpeg2 I created a new video and added that mpeg file and then finally I could add chapters and a menu and create a DVD. A lot of extra steps just to get a DVD.

I am still frustrated because I have an HD camcorder and I feel that I can not film in HD because PD8 can not handle it. From editing the movie to production it was full of crashes. My computer specs are way more then what is required, it should be a breeze.

When this issue is resolved I know PD8 will be the best program out on the market. I just hope it gets resolved quickly.

thanks to all for keeping the ball moving with R&D and this forum. Hopefully that ball will continue rolling forward and we will be able to get an update soon and have the stellar program that pd8 was meant to be.

-Dustin
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Dustin, just to let you know of another problem, although I am using a Nvidia graphics card, you may not have it with your ATI card..

If I use CUDA for 720p-progressive video (this is when my graphics card takes over the rendering making it much faster) the video ends up interlaced. I have to turn off CUDA to get a progressive video as unfortunately Youtube does not handle interlaced video properly.

You are so right when Cyberlink irons out these problems it WILL become the best program for the price or even double the price on the market.

Cheers

Robert S My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Mike L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Aha - that explains why my last video looks bad on YouTube. I'm also using nVidia's CUDA. The resulting 720p video looked just fine on my machine, but on Youtube seems to have noise (kind of horizontal lines) when objects move.

Interestingly, this last video was just under 2 minutes long, and I had all 8 cores of my i7 920 active. I was too lazy to reduce this to 4 and reboot prior to rendering, and it completed successfully. So there must be some video duration threshold, above which rendering will fail with more than 4 cores... | PD8 Ultra v8.00.2220c | Win7 Ultimate 64bit | Intel Core i7 920 | OCZ 3 x 2GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX275 nVidia | Acer B273HU 27" | 1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA | 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA | Antec P193 Case | Camera: Canon Vixia HF20 |
Robert2 S
Senior Contributor Location: Australia Joined: Apr 22, 2009 05:57 Messages: 1461 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Mike L, If you read one of my earlier posts in this thread I did some experimentation with different cores and found out it is not a simple core thing there is something else going on and I just hope Cyberlink solves the problem soon. My youtube channel====> http://www.youtube.com/user/relate2?feature=mhsn
Mike L [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi Robert,

Yes it was indeed after finding your earlier posts about cores that I started trying disabling them. I was extremely happy to find your posts about this, as I was quite disappointed, not to mention frustrated.

But I think I'm a bit confused now about when it crashes - I think it only occurs when rendering to 1080p, but it's been almost 2 weeks since I last did that.

My daughter rendered an 8m30s clip today to 720p and it worked fine with all 8 cores enabled.

BTW - I have watched a couple of your hang gliding videos, which are just spectacular. Nice work! That sure looks like a beautiful part of the world you live in. I've posted a few of my videos here: http://www.youtube.com/blathermouth1

Only the 2 most recent ones (Dogs.. and Wengen...) were made with PowerDirector. The others were made with Windows Live Movie Maker (blech!) before I had bought PD.

Cheers!
Mike

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 04. 2010 22:11

| PD8 Ultra v8.00.2220c | Win7 Ultimate 64bit | Intel Core i7 920 | OCZ 3 x 2GB DDR3 | EVGA GTX275 nVidia | Acer B273HU 27" | 1 x 500GB Seagate Barracuda SATA | 2 x 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA | Antec P193 Case | Camera: Canon Vixia HF20 |
[Post New]
I have recently been wrestling with an "out of memory" error on PD8.
I was editing HDV format video on a machine with 6Gb memory.
I eventually overcame this by reducing the number of "Power Tools"
instances I had used, especially the Video speed app.

I ended up having the individual clips which required a Power Tool as
separate projects and then included these in my main project as "processed" files.

This worked for me, albeit a bit tedious.
[Post New]
Hi and thanks.

Was having the same issue with my i7 (system crashing - NOT ENOUGH MEMORY) Selecting 2 processors in the MSCONFIG Boot Advanced Options prevented crashes regardless of output quality or applied effects.

Unfortunately it also hobbles the system to such a degree that the benefit of the i7 processor is lost.

However, at least I know if I want to push the processing to the extreme, how to go about enabling my machine to cope.

In the meantime I will do my regular processing under the default i7 BIOS BOOT settings.

For interest a test encoding of a 3 minute video clip (MPEG2 720x576 average bit rate 5000, 25fps) produced these results:

BIOS BOOT Setting 2 processor mode
MPEG2 1920x1080i CBR 8000 Quality 7
Encode time 13:15 (mm:ss)
Enhance Video 85% Video Stabiliser 10%

Note 1 only possible to encode complex editing with these extreme settings in 2 processor mode
Note 2 not practical/possible to surf web or do anything else on computer while in this 2 processor mode

BIOS BOOT Setting for i7 default (no processor mode selected)
Encode time 4:15 (mm:ss)
Enhance Video 85% Video Stabiliser 10%

Note 1 this is the absolute limit for my i7 machine before crashing, with either a longer clip, additional filters or effects.
Note 2 am able to do normal web surfing, you tube viewing etc in the normal i7 mode

BIOS BOOT Setting for i7 default (no processor mode selected)
Encode time 0:54 (mm:ss)
No Enhance Video or video stabiliser

Note 1 fastest and most efficient use of the i7 multi-core. Am able to use the pc while encoding with no noticeable impact on other tasks.

Cheers
HARDWARE: ASUS i7 2.6 Ghz, 6GB DDR3, Nivada GeForce 9800GT 1GB, SATAII 1TB, WIN7 64bit