Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashes when I click "Produce"
Wright1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United States Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:34 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
My support Ticket #: CS001945734
Mr Pults [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Oct 17, 2018 00:20 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
I just installed PD15 on my old Acer laptop running Windows 7.

As expected, it works perfectly (although the computer is not very good).

For me anyway, the problem is Windows 10 only.
neilbalthaser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I just installed PD15 on my old Acer laptop running Windows 7.

As expected, it works perfectly (although the computer is not very good).

For me anyway, the problem is Windows 10 only.

i tried PD17 on my Surface Pro 4 running windows 10 and it works but very slow. the surface does not have a dgpu so i'm wondering if that's the problem.
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Cyberlink asked me to run through a series of tests, confirm the problem wasn't something obvious, and send them the results.

I did all that. I still don't know what the problem is or why it came out of the blue.

Here's what I sent them (hopefully, I'll hear back from them soon):

The problem started on October 16. Before that, I had clicked the "Produce" button hundreds of times without any problems.

Suddenly, clicking "Produce" closes Power Director 16. There is no error message and it does not freeze up or crash the computer.

I have reinstalled PD16 with patch 3408.
I've gone to Intel to reinstall drivers - all is ok.
The drive is an SSD - capacity of 120 GB, with 13.8 GB free.
I am logged in as Administrator.

I'm attaching screen shots of:
1) Product Version

2) Screen before clicking "Produce", using a video I edited in PD16 2 months ago. I made a couple small edits that are new. There is no error message after I click "Produce". It just closes.

3) Screen - after program closes, I relaunch. This is the screen I get.

I'm also attaching the DxDiag file.

Lastly, here is the behavior on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qqfVHYrKu8
I recorded this a few days ago using PD15. The behavior is the same for both 15 and 16.

Thanks.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Cyberlink asked me to run through a series of tests, confirm the problem wasn't something obvious, and send them the results...

You've done an excellent job of documenting what's going on with your system. I think the people at Cyberlink will be able to figure out whats going on, and hopefully release a patch for this issue ASAP.

Thank you for everything you've done here!
Geiser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jun 08, 2017 16:24 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
same happens to me. In version 15 and also in test version 17.

CS001946293
CS001946056)

I've raised several tickets, but no support. Now deinstalled PD. Does anyone have the PD 15 original software to download as I only have the product key left.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 21. 2018 17:42

Wright1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
After putting in my support ticket, I recieved a reply instructing me to try several general things to test if they would restore system or make sure my computer is adaquete. I followed all the instructions given and it still crashes. I attached the DXdiag report and some other files (as they requested) in hopes that they will quickly resolve this issue. That was 2 days ago. Perhaps they don't tackle support issues on the weekend... I'm pretty stressed right now.

Support Ticket: CS001945842
Mark P [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 21, 2018 21:42 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I've joined the club as well - seems like an evening of work wasted

CS001946375
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Quote ... in hopes that they will quickly resolve this issue. That was 2 days ago. Perhaps they don't tackle support issues on the weekend... I'm pretty stressed right now.

This is clearly a stressful situation for every affected user, and unfortunately, I don't think a solution's coming in a matter of hours or days. To be perfectly honest - if you're under any sort of deadline - now is a good time to start figuring out Plan B.

If you can borrow or access another computer, I think it's pretty unlikely that you'll run into this issue again (most machines are not affected), and once you've installed PD and transferred you clips you'll be able to do your work. If you have to use another editor for this week, you should at least think about getting started.

I don't work for Cyberlink and I have no idea of where they're at in terms of understanding the issue or coming up with a possible fix, but in the past it's typically taken 1-2 weeks to get an update once a serious issue is reported, and I don't want to see anyone hanging all their hopes on a quick solution here.

Look at it this way: Even if a patch does come out right away, you'll at least have been making progress in the mean time.
Wright1 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Good Morning. From the Senior Contributor, you suggest that I use another computer. Since my editing is already completed, how do you go about transfering such a "massive" file (or document since that's what it's saved under)? Is it really that simple? I have 1 other computer in my home. So, I could try what you're suggesting. Is it just a matter of saving the project on a drive and just transfering it to my other computer and than downloading Powerdirector there??
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Good Morning. From the Senior Contributor, you suggest that I use another computer. Since my editing is already completed, how do you go about transfering such a "massive" file (or document since that's what it's saved under)? Is it really that simple? I have 1 other computer in my home. So, I could try what you're suggesting. Is it just a matter of saving the project on a drive and just transfering it to my other computer and than downloading Powerdirector there??

Yes, it actually is that simple, but first you should try installing PD on that machine to be sure you won't run into the same issue.

The next step is to make sure you have a big enough external/USB flash drive, and then open PD on your existing PC then go to File, Pack Project Materials... and browse to your portable drive. PD will copy EVERYTHING in your project (media clips, downloaded FX, all timeline content and edits) to the folder you've selected.

When that's complete, bring the drive over to your 2nd machine. Depending on the number/size of the media clips and the speed of your portable drive, you may want to copy the project folder onto an internal drive so editing will be faster. Once the folder is where you want it, open PD on the new PC and simply click on File, Open Project and locate the project folder.

Everything will open up and the project will appear just as you left it!

Since this is a new installation, you may want to double check some of the settings under prefernces. Many settings are part of the project (like aspect ratio and frames-per-second), but others like HW acceleration and confirmation prompts and loading sample clips will all be at their default values.

Again, the goal here is to get you up and running until a patch is released, and hopefully these steps will get you there ASAP.
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Just thinking out loud here... over in the PD17 group, they are seeing the same behaviour when they click "Create Disc" - screen closes and no error message.

So here's my idea: is there a way to get to the screen after "Produce", without clicking the "Produce" button? The screen I'm talking about has the "Start" button, and probably works perfectly. A programmer would just type a command line to go to the Start button screen. If anyone can think how to do that, it would give us a temporary fix.

My gut feeling is our problem and the "create disc" problem in PD17 are the same problem.

Not blaming, just brainstorming. There's got to be a way to get around the "Produce" button.
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Just thinking out loud here... over in the PD17 group, they are seeing the same behaviour when they click "Create Disc" - screen closes and no error message.

So here's my idea: is there a way to get to the screen after "Produce", without clicking the "Produce" button? The screen I'm talking about has the "Start" button, and probably works perfectly. A programmer would just type a command line to go to the Start button screen. If anyone can think how to do that, it would give us a temporary fix.

My gut feeling is our problem and the "create disc" problem in PD17 are the same problem.

Not blaming, just brainstorming. There's got to be a way to get around the "Produce" button.

That's an interesting idea, and I agree that the problems with the two versions likely have the same underlying cause.

I've done plenty of programming, and in all likelihood, it's the act of initialzing the Produce or Create Disc modules that causes the crash, which means there's no way to get straight to "the good stuff" without setting the modules up first

Hopefully there will be some kind of status/update relayed through the moderator soon!
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hey Optodata, I want to let you know you're doing a heck of a great job.

Yours is often a thankless job, so I wanted to thank you.

Now, the one thing I haven't told you is there is a bit of a delay after clicking the "Produce" button; about 5 seconds. And even though my computer is very quiet, I can hear a bit of churn in those seconds.

Is there anything I could do in those 5 seconds to keep it from closing? Escape key? Enter? Minimize? Alt-Ctrl-Del? Keep clicking the "Produce" button? Click a different button?

I'm not a programmer but I still think there must be a workaround.
optodata
[Post New]
I really appreciate you saying that, Mr Pults! Thank you!

I also like your attitude - that there has to be some kind of workaround here, and that if we keep brainstorming, we might just get it to work.

I still think that the crash is occurring while PD is pulling all the pieces together to prepare for producing the video (or to burn a disc), and the delay between clicking Produce and the crash occurring is just telling us roughly where in the preparations the problem occurs. If you were able to pause the program in those few seconds, I honestly think it would only delay the enevitable and not prevent the crash from happening.

On the other hand, maybe that's a clue as to what kinds of things to look for on these affected systems. Also, in your last post you wondered if there was a quick way to go straight to the Produce menu. There are several threads where people are asking about these kinds of "command line arguments," and a look at the first 2 posts in this thread will tell you the official answer.

However, that fact that nothing is documented is different from there not being any command line abilities in PD, and in fact I've just discovered that you can add a media clip filename after PDR.exe and PD will happily open up with that clip in the Media Library, so maybe there is a way to have it simply and directly produce the clip from the start!

I will explore this further and see if I can find any other interesting and potentially helpful "features." Stay tuned!

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Just thinking out loud here...

So here's my idea: is there a way to get to the screen after "Produce", without clicking the "Produce" button?

Yes, there absolutely is!

From PD's File menu, choose Batch Produce... When the window appears, click on the "+" near the lower left and browse to a test project, then click on the pencil to set the output folder and the profile that you want the video produced to. Click OK, then click Start.

If the crash is related to the GUI (Graphical User Interface) and not the underlying producing function, this may be everyone's ticket to getting videos produced again!

If the code that does the actual production is the culprit, then the crash will probably still happen, but that would also be a clear signal for Cyberlink to focus their attention in that area. Can anyone who's having this issue try this out and post back what happens?
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hello Optodata,

That was a good thought... but it closes when I click "Batch Produce".

It doesn't crash or give an error message, so the behaviour is exactly the same as clicking the "Produce" button.

Here's the video on YouTube (40 seconds):

It asks me if I want to save before it runs the Batch Produce.

When I clicked "No", it just closed.

When I clicked "Yes", it lets me save the project, but then closes when I click Batch Produce.
Mr Pults [Avatar]
[Post New]
Here's the video again, as a direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPNJW33NJb0
optodata
[Post New]
Quote Here's the video again, as a direct link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPNJW33NJb0

Thanks very much for trying this out. Although you weren't able to get the clip to produce this way, your video of this new failure adds valuable new details to the scope of the problem.

Hopefully Cyberlink is actively monitoring this thread, but just in case, it might help to give them an update through the tech support channel with your existing ticket.

FWIW, this is what I was hoping you'd see (which would be the case if the crash was caused by activating the user interface for the Produce module, rather than somewhere in the actual producing code):
steven hall [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 23, 2018 00:58 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
THIS SAME ISSUE IS HAPPENING TO ME! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

PD16 Crashes every time i produce a project!!! This is mt ticket id: CS001946827
neilbalthaser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
If Cyberlink is reading this - it seems like this is a pretty wide spread problem given how many people are now reporting this issue. Some of us use PowerDirector is a professional capacity and so going down like this is really problematic. It would benefit us if someone from Cyberlink would please respond with status updates. I haven't received any update on the ticket that I opened over the weekend.

My plan B is to move over to Premiere which I downloaded, installed and started to learn this weekend. I recommend others consider this path as well if you're a professional because we can't meet deadlines like this. At least with Adobe you know that they're going to treat you like a professional and communicate.

Cyberlink: please let us know what's going on!