Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Crashes when I click "Produce"
neilbalthaser [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:33 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
If Cyberlink is reading this - it seems like this is a pretty wide spread problem given how many people are now reporting this issue. Some of us use PowerDirector is a professional capacity and so going down like this is really problematic. It would benefit us if someone from Cyberlink would please respond with status updates. I haven't received any update on the ticket that I opened over the weekend.

My plan B is to move over to Premiere which I downloaded, installed and started to learn this weekend. I recommend others consider this path as well if you're a professional because we can't meet deadlines like this. At least with Adobe you know that they're going to treat you like a professional and communicate.

Cyberlink: please let us know what's going on!
PowerDirector Moderator [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

There seems to be 6 members reporting this critical issue. Following this up over the weekend and yesterday, according to the information released to us around 1700hrs Taiwan time today 23rd October we have :

"CL has prioritised the issue and is working on reliably duplicating the issue in the lab – however this is proving hard to finalise satisfactorily.

QA has seen and experienced the issue via remote access to a user’s system, but finding the root cause is still on-going.

The current position is that they are working on a hotfix as a temporary workaround, but full testing has not yet been completed and the concern at present is that H.265 production seems to be adversely affected.

Obviously, the issuing of such an early hotfix might lead to some resolution of the issue for some users but may also lead to unforeseen issues elsewhere, which is not to be recommended.

As soon as a suitable hotfix is available, even if some issues may remain undocumented, affected users will be invited to try applying the fix and work will continue on developing a fully documented solution."

So, as soon as more info is available we will endeavour to keep affected members up to date. Please keep checking back for further updates.

Thank you.
PowerDirector Moderator
Senior Contributor Location: New Taipei City, Taiwan Joined: Oct 18, 2016 00:25 Messages: 2104 Offline
[Post New]
Hi,

CL have released the workaround patch here.
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77547.page

Please note that the issue relates to a specific Intel GPU and VGA driver combination and the resolution is version specific.

Please ensure you use the correct fix for your particular version.

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 23. 2018 14:28

Mr Pults [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Oct 17, 2018 00:20 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, I tried to follow your instructions, but could not get it to work.

1) I downloaded the PDR.exe file

2) your next instruction is "Browse to the PowerDirector installation folder to find the file “PDR.exe” (no quotes) and rename the file as the backup."

I don't know what or where the installation folder is. So I never got past this point. My computer's search function does not show any PDR.exe files except the one I just downloaded 5 minutes ago.

Thanks
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
You can find it by right-clicking on the desktop icon, then chosing "Open file location."

It should be in the C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector17 folder. You can also copy my highlighted text and paste it in File Exporer, like this:

EDIT: If you have the extensions turned off for known programs, your list may show something like this: Make sure you select and rename the app, not the icon:

EDIT #2: Good catch by the mod below. Path is C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector16

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Oct 23. 2018 14:36

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
[Post New]
Hi,

As you are running PDR16 it would default to :

C:\Program Files\CyberLink\PowerDirector16

Cheers
PowerDirector Moderator
[Thumb - PDR location 1.PNG]
 Filename
PDR location 1.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
38 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
24 time(s)
[Thumb - PDR Location 2.PNG]
 Filename
PDR Location 2.PNG
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
85 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
12 time(s)
Mr Pults [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Canada Joined: Oct 17, 2018 00:20 Messages: 16 Offline
[Post New]
THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

ALL IS RIGHT WITH THE WORLD!

THE FIX IS IN, AND IT WORKS PERFECTLY!

Big thanks to the Moderator in Taiwan and especially to our dear American friend, Optodata.

Here in Canada, we had pretty much given up on the U.S. after all those terrible insults your President hurled at our sweet, little Prime Minister over the trade disputes.

But the Americans are back in our good books, all thanks to Optodata, and his/her patient, considerate, and conscientious approach to solving our PD16 problem.

Friends for life!

Mr Pults
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
What wonderful news! Cooperation and kindness go a long way in my book, and I'm so happy to see that our international collaboration has resolved this nightmare of a crash.

Best wishes to the affected users, and Happy Editing to all! cool

YouTube/optodata

DS365 | Win11 Pro | Ryzen 9 3950X | RTX 4070 Ti | 32GB RAM | 10TB SSDs | 5K+4K HDR monitors

Canon Vixia GX10 (4K 60p) | HF G30 (HD 60p) | Yi Action+ 4K | 360Fly 4K 360°
Wright1 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: United States Joined: Oct 18, 2018 22:34 Messages: 7 Offline
[Post New]
Crisis Averted!!!! This Temp Fix has restored my faith in Humanity... Thank you
[Post New]
Hi,

CyberLink would appreciate it if users affected by this issue could feedback on their findings when they re-install the Intel VGA drivers (see below).

The latest briefing is :

=======================================
"Because we are not able to reproduce the issue in our lab, we have remotely checked the issue on several platforms and can reproduce the issue.

According to the investigating result, the problem is suspected to be an issue relating to the Intel VGA driver. We will report the issue to Intel to get more information.

In our testing, we find the issue disappears after a reinstall of the Intel VGA driver, downloaded from the Intel website directly.

It doesn't seem to matter if the newly installed VGA driver is a previous version or the current installed version or the latest version.

We would suggest these users to try reinstall their VGA driver and then replace the original module “PDR.exe” back, so they can regain the use of the Intel GPU to encode HEVC profile video again.

Intel driver download page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/80939/Graphics-Drivers "
=========================================

So, if any members can try this, it would be a useful confirmation of the issue and would help isolate the root cause.

Please reply to the patch topic here:
https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/77547.page

so that replies can be collated in one place.

Thank you,
PowerDirector Moderator

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 25. 2018 07:17

Topo8 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 26, 2018 00:18 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same same Case: CS001946614
edog1blade [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 16, 2018 04:08 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
i hope there will be something for powerdirector 14 soon

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2018 04:48

optodata
[Post New]
Quote i hope there will be something for powerdirector 14 soon

There won't be. Cyberlink typically will only support the current and previous year's products (PD17 and 16, respectively), and only rarely will go back 2 years when there's a serious issue, which is why they included PD15.

Your best hope to get PD14 working again is to roll back your Intel video driver as detailed in this post. Please note the two different versions that worked for the last two posters.

If that doesn't work, they only other option (to use PD) would be to upgrade to PD17.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 17. 2018 20:10

edog1blade [Avatar]
[Post New]

There won't be. Cyberlink typically will only support the current and previous year's products (PD17 and 16, respectively), and only rarely will go back 2 years when there's a serious issue, which is why they included PD15.

Your best hope to get PD14 working again is to roll back your Intel video driver as detailed in this post. Please note the two different versions that worked for the last two posters.

If that doesn't work, they only other option (to use PD) would be to upgrade to PD17.

and it will cost money to upgrade it to 17 right?

and is there some kind of tutorial for how to roll it back?

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Nov 17. 2018 23:30

optodata
[Post New]
Quote and it will cost money to upgrade it to 17 right?
and is there some kind of tutorial for how to roll it back?

Yes, if you decide you want to have PowerDirector work with current and future releases of video drivers, then you'll have to purchase the newest version.

Nobody is forcing you to do that, and since PD14 worked fine up until the most recent video driver update, you're free to keep using it with the older drivers.

There aren't any PD tutorials on video drivers as that's a Windows function, but if you simply use Bing or Google to search for roll back driver you'll get thousands of hits. If that doesn't work for any reason, use the link in the post I mentioned to download and install the linked driver.
edog1blade [Avatar]
[Post New]

Yes, if you decide you want to have PowerDirector work with current and future releases of video drivers, then you'll have to purchase the newest version.

Nobody is forcing you to do that, and since PD14 worked fine up until the most recent video driver update, you're free to keep using it with the older drivers.

There aren't any PD tutorials on video drivers as that's a Windows function, but if you simply use Bing or Google to search for roll back driver you'll get thousands of hits. If that doesn't work for any reason, use the link in the post I mentioned to download and install the linked driver.

rolling back worked! now i can keep posting videos thanks for the help!
optodata
[Post New]
Quote rolling back worked! now i can keep posting videos thanks for the help!

Really glad to hear that. Happy editing!
Temper [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 20, 2018 17:30 Messages: 8 Offline
[Post New]
None of these fixes have worked for me on all 3 rigs on which I have experienced this problem today. On a pretty tight deadline, so getting a bit frantic now!
My ticket for rig 3: CS001960831
[Post New]
I have the exact same issue. Has their been any progress with this?

My support case is: CS001980649

And a deadline tomorrow, of course.

* * * * * EDIT: I was able to rollback my windows updates to February 2018 and that completely solved my issue. Thanks to everyone else who hopped in on this thread. Hope this helps someone!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2019 00:26

optodata
[Post New]
Quote I have the exact same issue. Has their been any progress with this?

My support case is: CS001980649

And a deadline tomorrow, of course.

Yes, ages ago. Please read the solution thread, which is at the top of the PD16 forum index page. Pay special attention to the 4th and 5th posts on the page, where Hambone 16 and e-biker found a solution with two different older driver versions. One of those should solve your problem.
DrChrisR [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 10, 2016 21:05 Messages: 5 Offline
[Post New]
Please add me to this list of FRUSTRATED PowerDirector 17 users. I have created dozens of videos with PD since version 9. I sent hours editing a video and when I clicked "Produce", PD crashed and went to the Windows 10 screen. I went back in to PD and opened other smaller video projects that I had produced last year and it crashed again after selecting Produce. When I launched PD before it crashed the first time, I received a message asking if I wanted a "Smoother Experience", which of course I said yes. Well, since doing that I can no longer produce my videos. Does anyone know how to reverse the PD "Smoother Experience" optimization? I filed a case number with Cyberlink, but so far crickets. Very frustrating...