Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Update to support 4K HDR playback using Nvidia graphic card?
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote If you want to use a dedicated graphics card, you must wait until Nvidia or AMD releases UHD BD compatible drivers for their products.

There are UHD playback certified drivers from Nvidia for some time already. It seems they are good enought for Netflix UHD (which also required full end-to-end DRM through HDCP and Microsofts Play Ready 3.0).

4K UHD network streaming and 4K BD movie disc playback are not on the same page.

I agree that NVIDIA GPU is very powerful and compatible with various video technologies than Intel GPU (sure, it supports netflix 4k content.). But, unfortunately it does not have the compatibility for 4K BD so far.
ctr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I agree that NVIDIA GPU is very powerful and compatible with various video technologies than Intel GPU (sure, it supports netflix 4k content.). But, unfortunately it does not have the compatibility for 4K BD so far.

What kind of compatibility do you mean? The required video profiles are supported. All the fuzz is about DRM and this is not up Cyberlink to define what required, but up to (industry) standards and of course the content owners.

Both Netflix and Cyberlink use Microsoft Play Ready for DRM and the industry (=studios) behind UHD streaming and UHD discs is also the same. So why can Netflix send UHD video via NVidia and Cyberlink can't? Because Cyberlink hasn't implemented it.

Don't get fooled by Cyberlink blaming Nvidia or BD forum to cover their own shortcomings.
QC2.0 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Apr 27, 2016 04:02 Messages: 610 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I agree that NVIDIA GPU is very powerful and compatible with various video technologies than Intel GPU (sure, it supports netflix 4k content.). But, unfortunately it does not have the compatibility for 4K BD so far.

What kind of compatibility do you mean? The required video profiles are supported. All the fuzz is about DRM and this is not up Cyberlink to define what required, but up to (industry) standards and of course the content owners.

Both Netflix and Cyberlink use Microsoft Play Ready for DRM and the industry (=studios) behind UHD streaming and UHD discs is also the same. So why can Netflix send UHD video via NVidia and Cyberlink can't? Because Cyberlink hasn't implemented it.

Don't get fooled by Cyberlink blaming Nvidia or BD forum to cover their own shortcomings.

Same DRM?
Least but not the last, there is one explicit difference "AACS2" on Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc that online streaming video does not have it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

Netflix sent video via NVIDIA?
Don't you see NVIDIA announce the news actively saying NVIDIA supports Netflix (NVIDIA -> Netflix) after certain version of driver?
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus

I'm not "blaming" anyone, but discuss the topic on the fact.
The "compatibility" requires all the participants (hardware and software) to collaborate.
We can pay more than $300 to buy a powerful GPU, but ask a less than $100 software player to have all of compatibilities?

Which company is the one who wants to support UHDBD the most on various hardware? It's all regarding doing business.
Think about it.
triffid
Member Location: Prague, the heart of Europe Joined: Feb 04, 2017 06:33 Messages: 146 Offline
[Post New]
Well said! .
FOR THE LIST OF ULTRA HD BLU-RAY COMPATIBLE MOTHERBOARDS CLICK HERE
My hardware: Aorus Z270X Gaming 8 motherboard + i7 7700 CPU + Pioneer BDR-S11J-BK
Fliptwister [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 06, 2014 14:23 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote HDR files in what format? What container? Be more specific or provide a link to a sample.

This is a nice example.

http://4kmedia.org/the-world-in-hdr-uhd-4k-demo/

That file is mind blowing when player properly.

From my PC I've only been able to play it properly in Windows 10's Movies & TV app, selecting YCbCr 422 12bpc in Nvidia's control panel, and keeping "HDR and Advanced Color" disabled in Windows.

Either that or straight from the TV's USB port.

This file works for me with PowerDVD 17. I get a message saying I have to run in full screen to get HDR but it then works. I know It is running in HDR because there is a very noticable difference when I play with Windows "Movie & TV" app. It is crazy how much better it looks with HDR. Obviously the video was intended for this. I do not get sound with "Movie & TV" app but this might be related to audio being in vorbis. I'm running the latest Nvidia driver (390.65). My monitor is not a HDR monitor but you can still tell that the Nvidia drivers support HDR and PowerDVD is able to play HDR files. My hardware is follows:

ASRock Z270 Extreme4 Motherboard
Core i5-7600K (@ 4.5 GHz) - Noctua NH-U14S Cooler
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB DDR4 2400
Samsung 960 EVO 500GB NVMe SSD
EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 SC GAMING 6gb
Sound BlasterX AE-5 Soundcard
EVGA SuperNOVA 750G2 Power Supply
SAMSUNG S32D850T 32" 1440p Monitor
Windows 10 Pro x64, Version 1709, Build 16299.125

This message was edited 3 times. Last update was at Jan 15. 2018 19:23

ctr [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 03, 2016 16:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Same DRM?
Least but not the last, there is one explicit difference "AACS2" on Ultra HD Blu-ray movie disc that online streaming video does not have it.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultra_HD_Blu-ray

Netflix sent video via NVIDIA?
Don't you see NVIDIA announce the news actively saying NVIDIA supports Netflix (NVIDIA -> Netflix) after certain version of driver?
http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/4583/~/4k-uhd-netflix-content-on-nvidia-gpus

I'm not "blaming" anyone, but discuss the topic on the fact.
The "compatibility" requires all the participants (hardware and software) to collaborate.
We can pay more than $300 to buy a powerful GPU, but ask a less than $100 software player to have all of compatibilities?

Which company is the one who wants to support UHDBD the most on various hardware? It's all regarding doing business.
Think about it.

Great quote of an Wikipedia article that contributes absolutely nothing to the topic other than saying that UHD BD has AACS2.
AACS is the protection of the content on the disc. This is obviously not the problem as Cyberlink has a license and a key. I'm sure part of this agreement is that they maintain an ensured end-to-end protection process. This is being accomplished by using Microsoft's PlayReady 3.0 framework, with the requirements stated in the Cyberlink req documents.

So for UHD BD the full protection consists of the following standards/framworks:
AACS2 (transit in) -> MS PlayReady 3.0 (processing) -> HDCP 2.2 -> transit out
That is not rocket science, Netflix is basically doing the same thing:
TLS and subscription checks -> MS PlayReady 3.0 (processing) -> HDCP 2.2 -> transit out

My point is that once it is on MS PlayReady it shouldn't matter which GPU is being used as long as it is PlayReady compatible (aka capable of ensuring the protected content path). Nvidia's drivers are.

I quoted the same link to Nvidia in my initial article. What's your point here? NVidia does have a driver that supports PlayReady and HDCP 2.2 out and yes while Netflix initially only supported Intel too, they now also support NVidia using that driver. My point is: Why does CyberLink not support it?

I'm a consumer and if buy a software that has certain protocol and framework requirements I expect it to work when those framework requirement are met. And they are met by Nvidia now. Artificially limiting this to Intel IGP is like the "Wintel" deals 1-2 decades ago... you know how that ended up? Antitrust cases came to the rescue.
C_Diddy [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2018 11:13 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Add me to the list of people that desperately want the ability to play 4K Blu-Ray disks with an Nvidia card. I have all the other specs (including a Coffee Lake processor and the Pioneer 4K drive) but PowerDVD won't play any of my 4K disks. It's not like I'm going to enable and re-configure my whole system to use the built-in Intel graphics for one thing.

I'm not going to be getting PowerDVD 18 (which we all know is due any day) unless this is resolved.
Jets2011
Senior Contributor Location: Canada Joined: Sep 29, 2006 05:26 Messages: 760 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Add me to the list of people that desperately want the ability to play 4K Blu-Ray disks with an Nvidia card. I have all the other specs (including a Coffee Lake processor and the Pioneer 4K drive) but PowerDVD won't play any of my 4K disks. It's not like I'm going to enable and re-configure my whole system to use the built-in Intel graphics for one thing.

I'm not going to be getting PowerDVD 18 (which we all know is due any day) unless this is resolved.

Hello,

I wouldn't hold your breath. You for some reason think it is CyberLink's decision to not support specific hardware for UHD disc playback. That, from a business perpective, makes no sense. If the hardware support was available, PowerDVD would of course support it. Think about it. Why would the company want to be the target for all the hate?

Playing 4K HDR video on Netflix and on an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc are not the same. The security requirements (see SGX) for UHD Blu-rays that people want to rip, is a lot more complex and the standards are defined by the Blu-ray Disc Association. i.e. more complex hardware required. It is a lot easier to just design your hardware for gaming and Netflix video, and let another company take all the blame for not supporting UHD BD disc playback. That is what makes clear sense.

Dave
Forum Moderator [Avatar]
Contributor Joined: Feb 27, 2018 01:01 Messages: 578 Offline
[Post New]
Hello,

This thread has run its course, and the new comments are just repeating what was there previously, so it will be locked.

If you'd like to continue or add to the discussion, please start a new thread and reference this one.

Cheers
PowerDVD Moderator Please direct any sales or technical issues to CyberLink's customer support team:

Sales or installation related issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/support/customer-services.do

Software technical issues:
https://membership.cyberlink.com/sup