Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
No Sound in PowerDirector Whatsoever
ghent96 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2020 11:36 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]

VLC player is free, able to read .MTS files, and convert them to MP4 files. I recommend trying this out to determine if the resulting file is playable in PD8. We know that the original is functional. We know that data is extracted and present in the resultting file when processed by PD8. This implies the issue is in PD8s ability to work with the resources available in the machine (available codecs, processing power, etc.). VLC player comes with the requisite codecs to complete the process. At a minimum this test will help more clearly define the root cause.

Joe

PS: I have to ask this simply because it has not been asked nor stated explicitly: When attempting to play these files in PD8 you have turned the volume up both in the timeline and on the pc itself?

Do you have multiple sound cards installed, perhaps on the motherboard and in a pci slot?

Will look at VLC.
I've already used other converters, and yes, mp4, WMV, and mpg files converted from my MTS files are playable and editable in PD8. The problem is clearly in how PD8 imports MTS files. It's not importing the audio segment of the file properly. The MTS files should have 256kbps audio in Dolby Digital. I click on file properties, and PD8 will list the video and audo codecs and bitrates properly.

The volume is set to max, in windows, and in PD8
sound cards: no, I use a laptop, i3-2330, integrated gfx intel HD3000.
ghent96 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 17, 2020 11:36 Messages: 4 Offline
[Post New]
I converted my .MTS files... all 120 of them.... .... to .mp4 files, then imported those into PD8. The .mp4 files had sound both in preview and in the media viewer. I put all of the .mp4 files into my movie, and then had to re-organize all my transitions and titles, which was really annoying that those are evidently given relative references and not absolute references. The whole movie plays fine with audio, in the previewer and in the viewer. After producing the movie, however, there was no sound. I produced it to an .MTS file H.264 AVCHD file.

Also... the video quality quality was terrible in production, vs the original .MTS files.
morgus49 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 06, 2021 13:04 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This has been an ongoing issue for me until recently. Despite appearances the problem is not with PD but Win10. In order to fix sound issues in Win10 now you must check both the driver settings and defaults under Control Panel - Sound and 'Sounds' applet under 'Settings' feature. In the 'Settings' - 'Sounds' applet, with PD open, make sure that the PD sound output is set to the correct option. If it says 'default' click the dropdown arrow and select one of the other options, check your audion, and repeat until resolved. In most cases you will have default and 1 or 2 other options depending on your monitor and installed sound cards.

If this doesn't resolve it there is one other simple solution that may have been overlooked: if you are using a flat screen HD TV as monitor vs traditional design monitor make sure your TV volume is turned up.

I hope this helps.

Joe

All my win 10 sound settings are fine including the Settings>Sound>Advanced Sound Options>App volume which shows the System Volume and the PD Volume at 100%. When I open PD18 I usually get no sound even though the Speaker icon is not muted, volume is full, and my Preferences for Display is set to Real-time Preview.

When this happens I:
1) click on the Preview icon (to the left of the Speaker icon in the Preview window),
2) select Non Real-time Preview (which causes the Speaker icon to be muted),
3) click OK in the popup window, and
4) click on the Preview icon and select Real-time Preview.

This works every time for me. I originally came to this chat to see if anyone knows how to avoid all this crap almost every time I open PD18. It's a quick fix once you get used to it. Good Luck.
Andriy V. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2021 21:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
I had the same problem.. well... I stil have

I started editing a video with 60 fps MTS clips and it worked well. Overnight my computer updated itself (I guess) and there is no audio in playback and in the rendered video.

Moreover, PD opens all kinds of files including MTS clips recorded couple of weeks ago, but not the ones I used for this video.
Annoying as hell and I don't know how to fix it.

It might be my cue to try Premiere
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
Maybe you could use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to share a sample clip that doesn't seem to be working. If it's over 100MB in size, you'll need to use a cloud service like OneDrive or Google Drive. See this FAQ for more details.

Also, it would help to know some specifics about your situation. What's the exact version of PD you're using? Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide so we can see how your system is configured.

I work with Canon MTS 60p clips all the time and haven't seen issues like this. See if you can hear sound in the attached MTS sample.
 Filename
00001.MTS
[Disk]
 Description
HD 60p H.264 MTS clip
 Filesize
46854 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
112 time(s)

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Mar 31. 2021 23:20

Andriy V. [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Mar 31, 2021 21:30 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Maybe you could use the Attachments button below the forum's text box to share a sample clip that doesn't seem to be working. If it's over 100MB in size, you'll need to use a cloud service like OneDrive or Google Drive. See this FAQ for more details.

Also, it would help to know some specifics about your situation. What's the exact version of PD you're using? Please follow the steps in the Read Me Before Posting guide so we can see how your system is configured.

I work with Canon MTS 60p clips all the time and haven't seen issues like this. See if you can hear sound in the attached MTS sample.

It's 365 version, so the latest as of March 31. There is no point in downloading the clips, it's not an issue with the content and not even with the codec.

PD worked with these exact files just a day ago (on March 30th), and still works with the prveviously shot videos exactly in the same format, but not with the ones I was able to work with just on March 30th (March 31st - specifically these files are muted).

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Apr 01. 2021 09:44

m123 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 18, 2021 15:05 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]

It's 365 version, so the latest as of March 31. There is no point in downloading the clips, it's not an issue with the content and not even with the codec.

PD worked with these exact files just a day ago (on March 30th), and still works with the prveviously shot videos exactly in the same format, but not with the ones I was able to work with just on March 30th (March 31st - specifically these files are muted).

same issues here. No sound with M2ts files and worked before. Also old project still have sound only new imports nou sound.

found no solution for this problem.
tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
m123 - See this recent post for the solution: https://forum.cyberlink.com/forum/posts/list/84942.page . The newer versions of PD365 will have this issue if you update it as you have guessed.
Reginald Joules [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 22, 2015 09:41 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Reviving this post. I had this same thing happening. In the preview window, the audio symbol kept showing muted. I would select and make sure the volume was up, however when you click the volume, there is also a mute icon at the bottom of the volume slider. This was also muted, even though the main icon showed unmuted. I selected it and works just fine now. See attached screenshot.

Thank you very much for posting this reply. Wish I had looked here before contacting [No]Support. They used to be very good. Perhaps reason for no acknowldgement or response of any kind in 60 hours is that PowerDirector 15 is too old. Anyway, many thanks for your post. Huge help.
tarzola85 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Oct 29, 2021 14:38 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This will be about as much help as an ashtray on a motorbike, but... I had just the same issue on one PC with PDR13.

Whatever I did, or whatever advice I followed from others, made zero difference. It remained a mystery for a long time. That PC no longer has PDR13 installed!

Sorry - I knew my post would be useless to you - except to know that it happens.

Under you Preview window, does the speaker icon have a cross-out? That's what mine used to do, involuntarily!

Cheers - Tony

This was the problem in PowerDirector 20! I had tried all the other things people had mentioned but this was it, It automatically puts the speaker on mute until you click the speaker with a cross on it in the preview window. Now i'm back in businees. Thank you for this post! Cheers mate.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 29. 2021 14:46

Worldrider [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 29, 2020 15:21 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Quote This will be about as much help as an ashtray on a motorbike, but... I had just the same issue on one PC with PDR13.

Whatever I did, or whatever advice I followed from others, made zero difference. It remained a mystery for a long time. That PC no longer has PDR13 installed!

Sorry - I knew my post would be useless to you - except to know that it happens.

Under you Preview window, does the speaker icon have a cross-out? That's what mine used to do, involuntarily!

Cheers - Tony

Amazingly enough, I found the answer in this reply! I had the same problem... the speaker icon on the preview screen was crossed-out (muted) but when I clicked on it I could adjust the volume slider up and down, but still no audio. Then I realized I had to click ON the icon itself! Doing thiis removed the "cross out" and turned off mute.
Problem solved.
DarylMitch [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 24, 2020 04:33 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Amazingly enough, I found the answer in this reply! I had the same problem... the speaker icon on the preview screen was crossed-out (muted) but when I clicked on it I could adjust the volume slider up and down, but still no audio. Then I realized I had to click ON the icon itself! Doing thiis removed the "cross out" and turned off mute.
Problem solved.

This worked for me also.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Aug 08. 2023 12:20

Bruteleen [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 01, 2023 10:45 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
I can play each .MTS file from my SD card in Windows Media Player (WMP) just fine. They have audio. When i play the extracted .wav file from PD8 in WMP , it too is silent.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I can play each .MTS file from my SD card in Windows Media Player (WMP) just fine. They have audio. When i play the extracted .wav file from PD8 in WMP , it too is silent.

More than likely your version of PD8 is not compatible with the audio in the MTS file. Use MediaInfo or MediaInfo online https://mediaarea.net/MediaInfoOnline and attach text file so one can see audio type in MTS file. Additionally, click the PowerDirector in the upper right had corner of your PD8 session and post information to see exact version of PD8.

Jeff