Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Worth upgrading??
voom [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 04, 2015 09:16 Messages: 22 Offline
[Post New]
I wonder why nobody has mentioned the new blending tools, they where the reason for me upgrading from 14. They may seem like a small feature, but actually they offer great possibilites.

I only hope I won't be affected by performance issues. Importing large MOV files has already proven to be a problem, working with those makes PD freeze badly.
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Jeff - found this on performance impact of GPU cards on edit software. Seems there are significant improvements possible (ingore the ad after 6:30). Also AMD vs Nvidia. Premiere improved GPU performance with their Mercury engine.

"GPU vs CPU Video Rendering and Video Editing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cQK8jFPzo

Yes, GPU cores can provide tons of capability to various tasks, I didn't however see anything significant or of value in this YT video of GPU's as it pertains to PD. Yes, certainly, for PD's TrueVelocity features a higher end GPU with adequate cores and OpenCL support a good feature when one utilizes such timeline content. I just don't have huge chunks of timeline utilizing for instance PD's 01_Star particle or the Bloom effect for it to be a significant need for my editing timelines. I'm much more interested in PD's performance for basic timeline decoding and encoding of multiple video tracks with limited editing additions for my PD projects.

Jeff
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Jeff - found this on performance impact of GPU cards on edit software. Seems there are significant improvements possible (ingore the ad after 6:30). Also AMD vs Nvidia. Premiere improved GPU performance with their Mercury engine.

"GPU vs CPU Video Rendering and Video Editing"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g7cQK8jFPzo

Yes, GPU cores can provide tons of capability to various tasks, I didn't however see anything significant or of value in this YT video of GPU's as it pertains to PD. Yes, certainly, for PD's TrueVelocity features a higher end GPU with adequate cores and OpenCL support a good feature when one utilizes such timeline content. I just don't have huge chunks of timeline utilizing for instance PD's 01_Star particle or the Bloom effect for it to be a significant need for my editing timelines. I'm much more interested in PD's performance for basic timeline decoding and encoding of multiple video tracks with limited editing additions for my PD projects.

Jeff

Maybe I am being unfair in my PDR15 expectations - and maybe Cyberlink contributed to those expectations through their claims of speed and 4k support. As you said "I don't know what type of test case substantiates "fastest."

Here's a claim from Edius Pro 8 "EDIUS Pro 8 is the fastest and most versatile real-time editing software — period."

The video above used Adobe PPro and the Cineform codec - which has been optomised to use GPU which affected results. I only posted it as there is little info out there on the effect of using GPUs for editing vs gaming as he says in the video.I an attempt to better understand how NLEs work I looked at professional software.

We are going off topic.

I'll start a new one "PDR15 Performance and 4K Editing" Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Martini2771 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Riga, Latvia Joined: Apr 02, 2013 12:10 Messages: 6 Offline
[Post New]
Quote I wonder why nobody has mentioned the new blending tools, they where the reason for me upgrading from 14. They may seem like a small feature, but actually they offer great possibilites.

I only hope I won't be affected by performance issues. Importing large MOV files has already proven to be a problem, working with those makes PD freeze badly.

I really really like to join this oppinion! FINALLY, on 15th version CyberLink has added this long missing feature. Finally I can have all those light leaks and film burns look sort of professional! Thank You! I've been waiting for this feature since 9th version, when I started use PD. i7-3770 | Gigabyte GTX 660 | Asus P8H77-V | Kingston HyperX 16 Gb RAM | Intel 330 180 Gb SSD | 2 Tb Seagate HDD | FSP Raider 550W 85+ | Nexus Prominent R case
Indianalar [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Nov 01, 2016 00:17 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Wishing I hadn't. My PD14 was running great!

Ditto, at this point I wish I hadn't also, 14 was working great. Now I have hours of You Tube aggrevation on uploads. Online uploads complete then I get a PD error message that PD couldn't upload after wasting hours of my time. I'm ready to de-install this new cludge until it's fixed.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Wishing I hadn't. My PD14 was running great!

Ditto, at this point I wish I hadn't also, 14 was working great. Now I have hours of You Tube aggrevation on uploads. Online uploads complete then I get a PD error message that PD couldn't upload after wasting hours of my time. I'm ready to de-install this new cludge until it's fixed.
You can always produce your video to a MP4 or WMV then use the Youtube upload in your account.

I find that is the most reliable way. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

[Post New]
Worth upgrading?

In my particular case, no way.

I'm currently using V13, and the 360º + vertical video editing are completely useless to me and the alleged speed improvements make little difference to me also, as I normally use it to make short video tutorials, and a few seconds up or down are no big deal.

I think Cyberlink has lost touch with its member base, and the product hasn't really improved that much over the last 2 years.

Also, I don't like the way Cyberlink tries to sell me other products which I will never ever use (photo editor, sound editor, etc), and then tries to put them in the same basket and say there's a 50% discount, or 60% or whatever! Yes, right... I too can give you a 99% discount on something you'll never ever use.

A feature several people requested long ago was a major upgrade for the subtitle room. Version 15 and you still can't just create a box and make sure the text appears just there, inside the box! is that really so complicated to code? (at present you can choose the X + Y position, but if the sentence is too long, it's nightmare, because if you need two or more lines instead of one, it no longer respects the x+y, not to mention that for some very obscure reason, the y position can't be lower than 1.00. Why????)

Sound synch is a really cool feature (available in previous versions too) but very well hidden (I actually only learned about it watching a youtube video recently). But when you have to synch more than 2 sound files, it's kind of complicated. PD17 Ult, PD16Ult, PD15ult + 13ult + 12ult
Painthop X9, X7, X4, 9
Aurora 3D (!!)
Animation Shop
Flex Gif Animator
Howler 9.5 !!
Intel Core I7-479 Cpu, 3.6 Ghz, 24 Gig Ram
Windows 10. 64 bits