Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Powerdirector 14 gpu woes
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Jeff - You have put enough time and effort into testing and resolving issues with GPUs to publish a thesis - and we appreciate it.
Based on what you've found what hardware would you recommend for 4k editing in PD? Is there any performance improvement for 4k in PDR15 to justify the upgrade?
Thanks,
Al Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Based on what you've found what hardware would you recommend for 4k editing in PD? Is there any performance improvement for 4k in PDR15 to justify the upgrade?

I don't use your constantly promoted MagicYUV editing approach in PD so can't comment on any potential PD15 improvement for your 4K/MagicYUV workflow approach.

You can always give the trial a ride or purchase and use the 30 day money back guarantee, http://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356 or buy a 3 month subscription to evaluate.

Jeff
AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:
Quote: Based on what you've found what hardware would you recommend for 4k editing in PD? Is there any performance improvement for 4k in PDR15 to justify the upgrade?

I don't use your constantly promoted MagicYUV editing approach in PD so can't comment on any potential PD15 improvement for your 4K/MagicYUV workflow approach.

You can always give the trial a ride or purchase and use the 30 day money back guarantee, http://www.cyberlink.com/support/purchase-faq-content.do?id=16356 or buy a 3 month subscription to evaluate.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I meant what hardware (CPU, GPU etc) for 4k editing without using MagicYUV.

Al

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Oct 16. 2016 03:41

Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
Jab73180 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 09, 2016 20:22 Messages: 40 Offline
[Post New]
Quote:

Jeff

Thanks Jeff - I meant what hardware (CPU, GPU etc) for 4k editing without using MagicYUV.

Al

It seems a lot of people skirt this question. Is an AMD card better than a Nvidia card? It seems that a 960 or 1060 is optimal, how about a 860?

I have a core i5-2400, 8 gb ram, 650 ti gpu. That hasn't been cutting it in the video editing department. This is what I would like to upgrade my system to. Core i7 3rd gen, 16 gb ram and an optimal gpu, whether it be amd or geforce. Any thoughts? -Jason
JL_JL [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Location: Arizona, USA Joined: Oct 01, 2006 20:01 Messages: 6091 Offline
[Post New]
It seems a lot of people skirt this question. Is an AMD card better than a Nvidia card? It seems that a 960 or 1060 is optimal, how about a 860?

No real skirt, it really depends on your needs so not necessary a one stop valid answer. As far as GPU capability, really about the same for similar products. But heat, power consumption, .... multiple other factors that tend to differentiate for those interested in such items. As far as the ASIC IP block that performs video encoding and also decoding, I'd say Nvidia has a the edge there and has for several years, especially in relation to PD. So, some of us use the GPU's and base desire on rendering speed, quality, compatibility with PD, and for that Nvidia NVENC ASIC engine appears much more compatible than the current AMD VCE engine and PD. Flawless encoding with NVENC and PD, certainly not.

860? No such thing, only a 860m version for the notebook world and I'm not a big fan of such for editing.

Jeff

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Oct 29. 2016 20:49

Jab73180 [Avatar]
[Post New]

No real skirt, it really depends on your needs so not necessary a one stop valid answer. As far as GPU capability, really about the same. But heat, power consumption, .... multiple other factors that tend to differentiate for those interested in such items. As far as the ASIC IP block that performs video encoding and also decoding, I'd say Nvidia has a the edge there and has for several years, especially in relation to PD. So, some of use use the GPU's and base desire on rendering speed, quality, compatibility with PD, and for that Nvidia NVENC ASIC engine appears much more compatible than the current AMD VCE engine and PD. Flawless encoding with NVENC and PD, certainly not.

860? No such thing, only a 860m version for the notebook world and I'm not a big fan of such for editing.

Jeff

Thanks for the reply. How about a 760? is it safe to say the 60 series is best for editing? -Jason
JL_JL [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for the reply. How about a 760? is it safe to say the 60 series is best for editing?

60 part of naming best for editing, no not at all, nothing implies that. Chip architecture really defines NVENC capability, most but not all of the 700 series GPU's have an older Kepler chip which was the first generation of NVENC encoder. So if encoding support is the purchasing desire, I wouldn’t suggest it. Most up to date NVENC support was released with the chip architecture in the Pascal (10 Series Nvidia GPU’s) which features the 4th generation of NVENC capability. Wikipedia gives a good high level synopsis of NVENC versions https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nvidia_NVENC which may be of value to you.

Jeff
Jab73180 [Avatar]
[Post New]
So I decided to get the Director Suite yearly subscription and boy am I happy. Powerdirector 15 is working great without shadow files and full HD preview enabled. The playback is smooth and crisp. I have changed my motherboard and upped the ram to 16 GB, but I don't think that has much to do with video rendering. So I guess upgrading to Powerdirector 15 has cured my Powerdirector 14 GPU woes.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Nov 19. 2016 10:31

-Jason