Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PD 15: Any Idea What it Will Include?
[Post New]
As a programmer I'm aware of the variables also Barry but I'm talking about fixes that are basic and should never have got past QC. Of course there's going to be a quirk here or there but there needs to be less of rushed releases to meet the expected annual delivery and more quality control. Software versions should be released with new features and innovations, not as a replacement for the previous one that is still broken. Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mainboard : Intel i7 2700k @ 3.6ghz: 12 gb DDR3 Kingston ram:
2TB WD Black HD's: Asus GTX970 4gb ram: Windows 10 Pro 64bit:

AlS
Senior Member Location: South Africa Joined: Sep 23, 2014 18:07 Messages: 290 Offline
[Post New]
Spyder - They need you!
Another user (Karab44) summed it up in a recent post on the Suggestions for PDR15 thread. His suggestion was "Fix all the PD14 bugs and performance issues first". Power Director 13&14 Ultimate, Photo Director 6, Audio Dir, Pwr2Go 10
Win 10 64, Intel MB DH87MC, Intel i5-4670 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16Gb DDR3 1600, 128Gb SSD, 2x1Tb WDBlue 7200rpmSATA6, Intel 4600 GPU, Gigabyte G1 GTX960 4GB, LG BluRay Writer
[Post New]
That's exactly what needs to happen AlS, it's not only in our interest but the dev's too, their business depends on customer satisfaction. Of course, voting with your wallet can make the difference, don't buy into a new release if your current one is broken, it sends the right message. Asus P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 Mainboard : Intel i7 2700k @ 3.6ghz: 12 gb DDR3 Kingston ram:
2TB WD Black HD's: Asus GTX970 4gb ram: Windows 10 Pro 64bit:

bonagege [Avatar]
Senior Member Location: Italia, Lombardia GMT + 1 Joined: Jun 25, 2011 16:32 Messages: 187 Offline
[Post New]
If you do not know the improvements, as requested, always we will buy sight unseen.

How to ask to be informed? You were asked to list in this forum the suggestions that were incorporated.

We must demand it, contrary we could not upgrade.

We ask Dafydd inform CyberLink. W 10 64 , pc Dell XPS 8000 - core i7 2,8 GHz--ram 6 MB--GEFORCE GTX 1050TI 4GB - SSD 256 + 2x630--area Pal
Videocam: Panasonic SD 700 avchd
Pinnacle 14 - PD 9-13-17
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
The ironic thing here is when I first used PD and later joined the early forum, I know I posted the exact same thing, fix what's wrong!!!
But here I am years later very happy with the progress and performance of PD, though it certainly can do things occasionally to make you want to scream😫. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
Nvidia GTX 960(4GB)/16GB DDR3/
Canon Vixia HV30/HF-M40/HF-M41/HF-G20/Olympus E-PL5.
Tape capture using 6 VCR, TBC-1000, Elite BVP4+, Sony D8 camcorder with TBC.
https://www.facebook.com/BarryAFTT
Richmond Dan
Senior Contributor Location: Richmond, VA Joined: Aug 07, 2014 17:17 Messages: 673 Offline
[Post New]
bonagege,

I never buy sight unseen. I wait until the new version has been available for a few months and read this forum in the meantime. By the time I buy the next version, I know whether it is enough of an improvement to deserve my money. Sometimes I just skip a version and wait for the next.

I really don't understand why folks get so worked up about software that is so powerful, yet costs less than $100, if you are patient. (Amazon has the PD14 Ultimate boxed set available now for $78, with free shipping.) Regards,
Dan
Power Director 21-Ultimate
v 21.0.3111.0
XPS-8940, Win-10 64-bit,
Intel Core i9-10900 processor
(10 core, 20M Cache),
32GB DDR4 RAM, 2TB M.2 PCIe NVME SSD, 2TB 7200 RPM SATA HDD,
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8GB GDDR6
MacFurse58
Newbie Location: Newcastle Australia Joined: Feb 06, 2016 18:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Hi everyone. Especially to Neil. I'm not far from you.

This is an interesting thread. I've been lurking here, learning from you all, since last year. I have a small home studio, put out my first CD last year, and got out a very basic music vid in Jan this year, thanks to PD and you lot. I'm now working on album no.2, releasing the first song and vid within the next month I hope. PD14 has been a massive struggle/learning curve for me, of course!! Computer issues, camera troubles, PD14 issues, along with the task of learning all that I have needed to, to start these projects off. Joined a course, and fixed up PD with Optodata and the others assistance with the AVI conversions, and many many other useful threads.

The reason I've posted here was out of interest, particularly for PD15, which I hope for me, addresses some serious flaws and performance issues, that have mostly been overcome, but have left a not so nice after taste. Cakewalk staff, who have SONAR, my main DAW, actively visit the forum, assist users, take on board criticism, ideas, fixes, and now produce a monthly update. All new stuff, fixes and promises, are contained within each month's update, listed in a monthly ezine. They are still cagey sometimes, particularly with major releases, but on the whole, work with their users, to enhance and build the product. Apart from the contributions of all you wonderful users, I see none of that here whatsoever. Typical of most software companies ? Yeh, maybe, and probably, but does it have to be that way? I don't think so. I feel like CL couldn't care less about their users to be honest, and I'm very unimpressed. I bought the complete suite, at a good price, so that is not my issue. I will wait, it seems like everyone else here, to see what PD15 holds for me, but if things don't improve, I won't waste anymore time with this product. I'm not trying to be negative, really, it's just that I don't see myself supporting a product, if I don't feel like the support is a two way street.

Just thought a relatively new users point of view might be of interest. Once again though, I thank you all for your efforts. I could not have got as far as I have without this forum. Cheers. Dave. I7 4771K 32G 512G SSD's Nikon d3300. PD14 and SONAR Platinum DAW.
1Nina
Senior Contributor Location: Norway, 50km southwest of Oslo Joined: Oct 08, 2008 04:12 Messages: 1070 Offline
[Post New]
This discussion and exchange of views has been going on for years.

I quote a dear friend of mine; "It is what it is" - and bottom line is we have the choice ourselves whether to upgrade or not, or whether to perhaps move on. It's been CL's choice not to re-write the program but stuffing more and more in to the existing programming, and it's getting heavier by each release. And yes, unresolved issues may cross over to new releases, issues that CL may be well aware of but makes the decision to fix what can be fixed in patches to new release. This is how it's mostly been over the years and probably will be in years to come - or until a decision to re-write the whole thing maybe will be made at some point.

So; it is what it is................
Just something.
https://www.petitpoisvideo.com
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Quite honestly,

AIS, Spyder and Bonagege have summed it all up neatly! AIS in particular has hit the nail on the head with his reference to "bells and whistles", this is what I've been saying(in a roundabout way). Bells & whistles are basically "gimmicks" put in to make the product appeal to the end user but they add nothing valuable whatsoever to the end product, if anything, they rob the product of ANY credibility. Personally I loathe and detest gimmicks! Look at what has been added since PD8. Some of it has been very useful, other features still had glitches which may or may not have been fixed by patches. The cross option for transitions is a case in point. I started using this but reverted to overlap because I noticed the momentary freeze-frame at the beginning and end of the transition, that is a definite glitch! Also, while on transitions, if "cross" is selected as the default behaviour in preferences, only the video transition is inserted, the audio component of the transition has to be added manually, whereas in overlap the two components are laid in automatically, that also is a glitch. These things should've been fixed BEFORE PD14 was released, and if the cross feature dated back to PD9 and the problems were present there as well, then the problem should've been fixed before PD9 hit the streets. As AIS has pointed out, Another user (Karab44) summed it up in a recent post on the Suggestions for PDR15 thread. His suggestion was "Fix all the PD14 bugs and performance issues first". [color=color: #000000]I fully agree! It's interesting to note that PD8 remains the only version of Power Director that had only the one "patch" applied to it. How many "patches" were applied to the versions before or since PD8?

Neil.

I,ve tried three times to get rid of the colour on a portion of the text where I didn't want it. The text should be black after where I quoted AIS quoting Karab44, but I'm stuck with it(it's the reason I rarely use colour in these posts).

This message was edited 4 times. Last update was at Jun 24. 2016 20:13

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Just checking something... ignore laughing

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 24. 2016 20:41

Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hello, Dave[MacFurse58]!

Just as a matter of interest, are you in my old stomping ground, Stockton? or elsewhere(anywhere from Carrington to Wallsend)? Anyway, welcome aboard! Doubtless you've read quite a bit of this thread before posting here yourself. As I said earlier, I find myself in agreement with AIS(in South Africa), Karab44(in Poland) and Bonagege(not quite sure where he is) in regard to what has or has not been included in PD14 or what's likely to be or not to be(bit of Shakespeare there, ha-ha) in PD15.

AIS's comment on bells & whistles fairly summed it up, really. It's not surprising then, that you found PD14 to be a somewhat "steep" learning curve. Really, your experience is at odds with what Power Director is supposed to be - a straight-forward, easy-to-use video editing programme. If you(and others like you) were having difficulties getting your head around Power Director 14, then someone really has stuffed up somewhere!

Surely the attraction of a software programme like Power Director(or any other programme for any purpose) should be ease of use and to quickly learn how to use it! Any halfway-decent software company should make that their #1 goal! Bells & whistles(gimmicks) only get in the way of such a goal and, in the end, make life difficult for an end-user or potential end-user. result: lost sale and another customer going elsewhere.

Anyway, once again, welcome to the forum, it's good to have a novacastrian on board!

Cheers!

Neil.

Had to change bracket type, ended up with unwanted "smiley" emoticon

Got notification that I had a reply to my post on this thread, clicked the link only to find it was my own post This situation is a nuisance. It really needs sorting out!

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jun 25. 2016 02:07

MacFurse58
Newbie Location: Newcastle Australia Joined: Feb 06, 2016 18:28 Messages: 3 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: Hello, Dave[MacFurse58]!

Just as a matter of interest, are you in my old stomping ground, Stockton? or elsewhere(anywhere from Carrington to Wallsend)? Anyway, welcome aboard!

Thanks for the welcome Neil. Maryland, so that fits your area I believe!!

I had some initial limited experience with Premier before buying into PD. Premier was a steep curve too, as was my DAW all those years ago. I really do try to get a good grip on what I'm using, so go the extra lengths to learn it as best as I can. I'm trying to produce a vid this time for release to CMC, so I'm bordering on a pro job, or as best as I can manage. So learning shooting techniques, editing etc, to take on a producers role for this, as well as the music, has been a challenge. I work full time as well, plus get around as a muso, so time is limited. PD itself is relatevely easy to get to the basics stage, but after that, particularly heavy editing and audio allignment, things take a different path. I signed up for the UDEMY course, and that helped a lot, but it was the technical problems that caused the most grief. And still do. I litterally cannot do more than 60secs of editing without the program crashing on me. So, edit, save, edit, save, crash, reopen, edit, save, etc etc, is the only way I can work. I am pretty good with computers and anything else technical, having been a tech most of my working life, but this experience has seriously tested my patience. Most issues for me came down to, and still do, graphics cards, drivers, USB and interface issues, and PD's reluctance to work with MOV files. So, no, I don't think PD14 is a friendly program for new users entering this world, but that almost goes for everything these days and companies strive to continally outdo each other with more and more features, without fixing some of the basic problems, that in some cases, have been going on for years and years. Cakewalk is no exception. Their current DAW still has not addressed basic problems with notation from more than 10 years ago. Sure, some of the new stuff is brilliant. But notation, and MIDI editing, for some, are a major part of their work, and it has been left behind and never addressed. So it's not just CL.

So I agree with some others in this thread at the basic level. Fix the areas that are oustanding in previous version before moving on to new ones. Seems almost ridiculous to have to say it IMHO. cheers. Dave. I7 4771K 32G 512G SSD's Nikon d3300. PD14 and SONAR Platinum DAW.
BarryTheCrab
Senior Contributor Location: USA Joined: Nov 06, 2008 22:18 Messages: 6240 Offline
[Post New]
Dave,
welcome to the Forum. Now that you have found us and aired a few grievances, perhaps starting a new thread and giving us a dxdiag would be a good start to actually dealing with the crashes and performance problems. Just bitchin' doesn't SOLVE anything. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
MacFurse58
[Post New]
Gday Barry.

If I was bitchin', I apologise. Wasn't the intention. I would start a thread if I needed something solved, but it's not necessary for me at this point. I have found my workarounds, and they will do until I finish this current project. Otherwise, I was just commenting on this thread and why I am interested in PD15.

cheers. Dave. I7 4771K 32G 512G SSD's Nikon d3300. PD14 and SONAR Platinum DAW.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Not to worry, a little "bitchin'" helps to blow off some steam! Just sayin' that there is help here, and though you confess to being a technophile some issues can be caused by the craziest things even a well-schooled person might not recognize. Of course, PD is not perfect, and it has it's quirky bits, such as a TITLE track, but you can actually put a title in any visual media timeline. It seems to be the longer you use PD, the more in-tune you are to it's oddities. Tough to beat the price for the power you get. It can be as simple as Windows Movie Maker, or as complex as a nuclear control board. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
Deals are being offered on PD14 up until Sep 6th do it looks like PD15 will be arriving soon.
I wonder what price? Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

tomasc [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Aug 25, 2011 12:33 Messages: 6464 Offline
[Post New]
Same as always. Full price at the beginning. Discounts gets better every few months toward the end of the year.
BarryTheCrab
[Post New]
Internet coupons may be available, even at launch of 15, you'll have to look around. HP Envy Phoenix/4thGen i7-4770(4@3.4GHz~turbo>3.9)
[Post New]
Quote: Same as always. Full price at the beginning. Discounts gets better every few months toward the end of the year.

And what is full price likely to be? Phil
Tell the truth - but gently.

PD14 Ultra
i5-6600K OC CPU, Asus Z170-P Motherboard, 4G Asus GeForce GTX 960, 240GB SSD, 1 x 1TB Seagate HDD, 1x 1TB SSD external backup HDD, 8GB RAM

Eugen157
Senior Contributor Location: Palm Springs area, So.CA Joined: Dec 10, 2012 13:57 Messages: 662 Offline
[Post New]
This thread was opened on Sept 16 2015. So we might see PD15 at the end of this month??

One feature it must have for me is burning of UHD BR, there are now several desktop UHD players available and their prices are dropping and will drop even more by xmas time.

Gene

Anybody aware of a UHD BR burning program?

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 02. 2016 13:11

73s, WA6JZN ex DL9GC
CYBERLINK PLEASE ADD UHD BLU RAY BURNING SOFTWARE
PD14,
Win10,64bit.CPU i7 6700,16GB ,C= 480 GB SSD ,GPU GTX1060 6GB 1 fan. Plus 3 int, 4 ext HDD's for video etc.LG WH16NS40 reads UHD.
4K 24" ViewSonic monitor.Camera Sony FDR-A
18tillidie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Los Angeles, CA Joined: Sep 29, 2014 12:24 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
My Live subscription updated to PD15 yesterday...
I haven't had time to see what's different, but not impressed with Multicam Designer... lagging significantly. Audio sync is out (during playback/edit), and video skips every 4-5 seconds to catch up! Makes it really hard to select cuts between cvamera angles!
I was editing the same 4 camera files in PD14 immediately prior to the upgrade, and it worked perfectly. I have an 8 core (physical) processor, 64GB RAM and a 980Ti GPU, so it's not a hardware issue!
Also, Edit in MultiCam Designer is now buried one more menu deep if you right click an image on the timeline to go back into MultiCam Designer.
No other notable difference noticed yet. My first project produced just fine. Working on the second now. only 3 cameras in MultiCam Designer and still skipping.

https://vimeo.com/timsanson