Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
4K Camcorders
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
It's not really the computer alone, that makes editing 4K difficult. It' more about the CODEC that PD uses, that's why I pointed you in the direction of, in particular, Magic+PD.

Magic+PD utilises a much better CODEC that converts 4K into AVIs for easy editing, and this process is lossless. In other words, what you put in quality wise you get out the other end. Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Allen80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2013 20:08 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Shadowman,

I am still learning so bear with me. I was under the impression from the comments from those who posted on this topic that they were not having the same problems as yourself with PD using 4K on their computers. I don't think they mentioned using Magic +PD but then I may have been reading to fast.

I just watched a video on Magic+PD which did not give much detail but showed some great results from the use of the program. Is this a plugin? I will have to do some more research on this product. I am still trying to decide which route to go on a camcorder or mirrorless camera as I am taking my time to get what works best for my purposes.

Thanks again.
The Shadowman
Senior Contributor Location: UK Joined: Dec 15, 2014 13:06 Messages: 1831 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Allen80

As I said earlier, editing 4K in PD is no easy task. My impression is that the vast majority of editors have trouble with skipping and jumping on the timeline unless they use some sort of proxy file as an interim. This situation becomes even more apparent if they try to use "Power Tools" for speeding up, or slowing down video, cropping, rotating or reversing video. I would like to hear from anybody who can honestly say that they can do this 4K work without the use of shadow files or Magic+PD.

Personally, as far as a camera is concerned, I am far better of with a mirrorless. Having individual lenses allows the user to be far more creative. I have managed to do some great work with my GH4 that I could not get anywhere near with my Panny camcorder.

To achieve this though I do have to use Magic+PD otherwise it just could not be done. Magic+PD is a small standalone program that will work pretty much with any NLE. The program is based on VirtualDub and uses VDubs interface. There is no interactivity between M+PD and PowerDirector.

In conclusion I would say that 4K is great to work with and you should try and use it if you can. However, many PD editors have not yet taken the step, but I feel sure many will take the plunge soon.

I hope the above helps you

Robert Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,
Allen80 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Aug 27, 2013 20:08 Messages: 20 Offline
[Post New]
Hi Shadoman,

Thanks foryour thoughts on this subject. I will be sure to incorperate the Magic+PD when I get ready to use 4K. I just ordered the Panasonic Lumix FZ1000. Even some of the 2016 reviews still place this camera at the top of the list. And I watched about every video I could find and the top leading mirrorless cameras. I like the G4 but the price it just out of my reach. The G7 is said to have the same video quailty as the G4 but is misisng some of the features the G4 has.

I will certainly do so more research on Magic+PD today.

How does the PD work with the 4K files after they are downloaded? When they are changed to Mp4 are they still huge files or are they compressed? I have never done this before.

Thanks again.

Allen
The Shadowman
[Post New]
Hi Allen

Below is an extract from a previous post:

Magic+PD was designed to help users who edit material that contains very high bitrates, and to the greater extent this is 4K material. To anybody else, the program will have little value.

Magic+PD takes, for example, high bit MP4 clips that could not be edited easily, and converts them into AVI files which PD handles well and are therefore edited easily. The downside to this is the AVIs are roughly ten times the size of the original MP4 files thereby creating a storage problem if you had to keep them for long periods.

Here comes the good bit. Once you have finished editing your work you simply produce your film back to MP4 or similar which, as you know, are very much smaller files than AVIs The whole procedure from start to finish is lossless thanks to the great Magic YUV Codec that is incorporated in Magic+PD. So all in all, it's a great program for those that need it. It is in no way intended to create files for permanent storage or for any other purpose.

All you need to do when you have completed you project is delete the AVIs to regain the space you lost. One other thing to remember is M+PD converts the original material to editable AVIs about 8 times faster than shadow files can be generated in PD.

The bottom line is, if you work with 4K you'll love it. If you don't work in high bit rates, you don't need it. I hope this clarifies a little for you.

To clarify your last question: The conversion from MP4 to AVI is done outside of PD with M+PD. The converted files are then loaded into PD from your selected folder as AVIs. Now you complete your editing which should be painless. When the editing is complete you go on to produce the project as say, 3840 x 2160 MP4 and all this is lossless so far as quality is concerned.

Allen, if you need further info about downloading and using M+PD, please come back

Robert

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at May 06. 2016 15:21

Panny TM10, GH2, GH4,