Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Fade Transition not working correctly
OldNewb [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Dec 16, 2020 12:11 Messages: 1 Offline
[Post New]
Looking for something else and noticed this thread. I'm new, so it surprised me this has been going on for so long without being addressed.

Cyberlink, if you actually pay attention to these forums, this is STILL a problem. The cross-fade stops the video cold then starts the next video cold fading up, fading the two still frames into each other instead of truly cross-fading two video streams. It would be nice to fix that coding to actually take a few extra frames of the previous clip and fade them into a few extra frames of the new clip to do your cross fades. That's how it's expected to happen, and it is one of my pet peeves about the software, as I use cross-fades all the time.

In addition, changing the fade to cross-fade, changing the time and then clicking 'Apply to all' does not apply the cross-fade selection, only the new time. Wherever possible, all the fades should be changed to cross as well.
JohntheAussie [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Australia, SA Joined: Jun 02, 2011 20:17 Messages: 23 Offline
[Post New]
Five and a half years later and Cyberlink still have not fixed it!

My workaround was to move to Corel Videostudio where these transitions work brilliantly. Pinnacle Studio I think has some connection with Corel and also uses the same 'engine', so probably also works well.
optodata
Senior Contributor Location: California, USA Joined: Sep 16, 2011 16:04 Messages: 8630 Offline
[Post New]
I don't see that there's anything to fix as Cross transitions have always worked like this in PD.

The first clip begins to fade out then reaches its end at the midway point of the transition, then, as designed, the final frame is frozen and then fades out. At the start of the transition, the second clip's first frame had been frozen and was used during the fade in, then it begins playing from the midpoint of the transition. I find this type of transition to be better suited for photos than video for the reasons mentioned throughout this thread.

With the Overlap style, the first clip plays to the end while fading out just as the second clip begins and fades in. To me this is better suited for videos, although applying an Overlap transition necessarily shortens the duration of the two clips by the duration of the transition as they have to overlap.

When working with the MCD, it's clearly meant to make clean cuts between cameras, and I can see the difficulty in trying to apply transitions to the output clips on the main timeline afterwards.

It's certainly possible to do that by dragging one of the clips to the timeline track below and then extending the start/end to accomodate the fade duration. You'd then apply a fade transition to the start & end of that clip like this:

I would suggest that what's needed is a 3rd style of transition, maybe called "Center," where the transition takes precedence over the duration of the clips.

This would allow the transition to be placed like the current Cross transition and not affect the duration/sync of the existing clips at all, but then it would automatically extend the play of the affected clips beyond the midpoint so playback would be more like the Overlap style.

I've just suggested that using Rate Us & Provide Suggestions from the File menu. I also referenced this thread so they're aware of why this would be a good thing to add.
Bearly.Keto [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Feb 10, 2022 15:38 Messages: 13 Offline
[Post New]
Quote Looking for something else and noticed this thread. I'm new, so it surprised me this has been going on for so long without being addressed.

Cyberlink, if you actually pay attention to these forums, this is STILL a problem. The cross-fade stops the video cold then starts the next video cold fading up, fading the two still frames into each other instead of truly cross-fading two video streams. It would be nice to fix that coding to actually take a few extra frames of the previous clip and fade them into a few extra frames of the new clip to do your cross fades. That's how it's expected to happen, and it is one of my pet peeves about the software, as I use cross-fades all the time.

In addition, changing the fade to cross-fade, changing the time and then clicking 'Apply to all' does not apply the cross-fade selection, only the new time. Wherever possible, all the fades should be changed to cross as well.

I also find that frustrating.

Something I consistently run in to (and I only just started using PD 365 in Jan) is I will go to apply a cross-fade (specifically) and no matter what I do, it won't insert onto the time line between to 2 clips. I will often have to save, exit, reboot, and that may or may not work. Additioanlly, when I do manage to place a cross-fade, it will just stay on side of the clip or the other. I then have to double-click it and select cross-fade. However, sometimes that doesn't even appear as an option. It may be something I'm doing wrong as I've been teaching myself as I've gone.