Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
Silly SmartSound Saga (just sharing)
glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
Further research on this produced some enlightening info:

"While Google have ever publicly disclosed how Content ID works, the technology is actually licensed from a company called Audible Magic: http://www.audiblemagic.com/ - essentially the technology works similar to that of major music finding apps like Shazzam or Soundhound. "

from https://www.quora.com/Does-Content-ID-look-for-a-match-of-the-actual-code-or-a-match-of-the-audio-produced-by-the-code

But check all the hard work done by Scott Smitelli in his "Fun with YouTube’s Audio Content ID System":

http://www.scottsmitelli.com/articles/youtube-audio-content-id

This is from 2009, but if still applicable, shows you can outwit YouTube by using Audacity to alter the music speed or pitch by 6% in either direction or knocking the song out of phase.

It's not clear what would happen if, instead, you inserted tiny gaps of silence in the unadulterated recording, a la Cinevia for films, or reversed only a handful of small unimportant music slivers, a la the end of 'Strawberry Fields Forever'.
ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Well researched llo & very interesting reading - especially Scott Smitelli's audio demolition tests laughing

Cheers - Tony
Visit PDtoots. PowerDirector Tutorials, tips, free resources & more. Subscribe!
Full linked Tutorial Catalog
PDtoots happily supports fellow PowerDirector users!
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
Senior Contributor Joined: Mar 07, 2012 09:15 Messages: 1303 Offline
[Post New]
Hi, everyone!

This is a never-ending saga, ain't it? The idea of "....alter(ing) the music speed or pitch by 6% in either direction or knocking the song out of phase" may fool Youtube for a while but they may cotton, fairly quickly to what's being done and come up with ways to counter these "tricks" but the underlying point is: Smartsound was created for the purpose of use in clips uploaded to Youtube to avoid hassles with copyright protection agencies around the world. Smartsound is a non-commercial "generic" music that fits in where required and Youtube should recognise this fact and stop giving grief to its users over their implementation of Smartsound tracks.

Cheers!

Neil.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
The real problem with Youtube and their Content ID System, is it is geared toward getting the greatest amount of revenue from the uploaders.

As with all business, they have to find a way to pay the bills. Youtube's product is the videos uploaded by users for free, advertisers are interested in getting their product and name seen by as many people as possible.

If you change the music by greater than 6%, you have ruined the music. I sure don't want to listen to music that is modified that much.

It is software that compares to a match, if the match is close enough, it is flagged, then you have to prove you have the right to use that music and/or video.

It takes at least two dispute claims to get a human to look at the claim. The first dispute gets a boiler plate reply.

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 21. 2016 10:17

Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

glowx231 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jan 19, 2015 12:06 Messages: 32 Offline
[Post New]
"If you change the music by greater than 6%, you have ruined the music."

I have an old Technics turntable, which has a 5% plus or minus pitch control, I bought specifically to squeeze LPs onto 90 minute audio tapes.

With ~5% acceleration, the music still sounded fine.
Carl312
Senior Contributor Location: Texas, USA Joined: Mar 16, 2010 20:11 Messages: 9090 Offline
[Post New]
Quote: "If you change the music by greater than 6%, you have ruined the music."

I have an old Technics turntable, which has a 5% plus or minus pitch control, I bought specifically to squeeze LPs onto 90 minute audio tapes.

With ~5% acceleration, the music still sounded fine.
OK.

I guess it is individual listeners that 5% speed up sounds OK. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

ynotfish
Senior Contributor Location: N.S.W. Australia Joined: May 08, 2009 02:06 Messages: 9977 Offline
[Post New]
Firstly, despite that very interesting research & testing done by Scott Smitelli, I have no intention of trying to disguise legally purchased & licensed music in order to trick YouTube's content I.D system.

Secondly, I've just replicated a couple of Scott Smitelli's test and found that they work - as in, they fooled the system!

Thirdly, an admission of stupidity... I made some little test videos with 6% ▲ & ▼ speed & tempo changes to see whether YT would pick it up. Here's the silly bit - I included the original for comparison embarassed resulting in...

A low res version of the video is attached. I don't think I'd want to change speed or even tempo by that much just to trick YT.

Cheers - Tony
 Filename
Audio Changes.wmv
[Disk]
 Description
 Filesize
1889 Kbytes
 Downloaded:
506 time(s)

Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Tony, you do well to push the fronteers of our knowledge about YouTube and it's magical music software. I do hope that they let you off the hook!

On more serious note, I've noticed ( and I'm sure most PD users will also have noticed ) the alarming number of music videos that gain Feature Video status in the weekly editions of Director Zone. I've often wondered if they are ever caught out by YouTube!

I'm not going to loose any sleep over them though innocent

Thanks for a very interesting thread.

Cheers I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, all!

I've just completed a 1-hour video of a trip I took last Wednesday to the Sydney Tramway Museum at Loftus(an outer southern suburb of Sydney) and a Smartsound track(about two minutes worth) was used at the top and tail end(opening title & closing credit sequence), but thankfully to my own practices, this won't be going to YouTube, Instead, it will go onto disc for viewing by family or friends, and maybe, just maybe, submitted to a community TV station in Newcastle(if ever the government backs off and gives the community TV sector a fair go by giving them a "permanent" presence on our free-to-air TV channels, which is their proper entitlement). The Smartsound track was(I think) "Hoedown" from the Country/folk grouping. If I do say so myself, I'm quite pleased with the result of my latest effort as I used some stills which I'd scanned in from the museum's souvenir guide book and superimposed them into the video, using transition effects to bring them in and out of view. Smartsound copyright won't be, or shouldn't be an issue for me if I do decide to submit my video to that community station. I have, interestingly enough, found another source of music by going into my Programme files and going into where my Power Director 8 is installed, I was able to copy and paste to a separate folder, the music that goes with the menu pages for PD8. There's another resource for intro/exit music for videos can draw from.

Cheers!

Neil
TonyL [Avatar]
Newbie Location: Nr. Coventry, UK Joined: Oct 10, 2015 04:07 Messages: 46 Offline
[Post New]
Having watched the video of "How Content ID Works" (via the link that Carl kindly posted), it kind of begs the question, "How does that database work with SS tracks?". The tracks either can't have been sent to YT for registration or were sent and reqd. to be flagged as copyrighted if found. Whilst some SS tracks do sound very similar to recognized music, most do not.

Neil, you might have a problem with your planned video. If the station uses it it may leave it open to a copyright infringement claim because of the scanned images. Using other peoples' images is the same as music - you are infringing copyright unless you can show you have the copyright owner's permission to use it. Images scanned from a book, are no different to music from a CD in this respect.

TonyL Self build Xeon W3690, 12GB RAM, 850EVO SSD, Asus 2GB GTX960, Win10H 64bit, PD14
iMac 27" Retina 5K i5, 24GB RAM, Radeon M295X 4GB, Bootcamp Win10H 64bit
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: Having watched the video of "How Content ID Works" (via the link that Carl kindly posted), it kind of begs the question, "How does that database work with SS tracks?". The tracks either can't have been sent to YT for registration or were sent and reqd. to be flagged as copyrighted if found. Whilst some SS tracks do sound very similar to recognized music, most do not.
The content database has songs that may be the originial recording then SmartSound use a similar score for their music.

How many copies of "America the Beautful" have been recorded by many different artists? Youtube will tag nearly all versions of that one song because one or more music publisher will have that song in their library.

You really get crazy hits on songs like "The Star Spangled Banner" (USA Anthem). As far as I know that song is public domain. However some artists can and do copyright their version. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Gordon 7 [Avatar]
Newbie Location: England Joined: Jan 29, 2012 15:45 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
A couple of years ago I uploaded a landscape panorama to which I added a classical music track (Morning, from Peer Gynt). This got a YouTube copyright notice saying “Your video is blocked in some countries.” The copyright ownership they linked it to was correct, though they still allowed it but with ads on top of the video, spoiling it. As no other music track could have fitted my video so perfectly, I experimented with altering the pitch, reverb etc.
What I found was that this got rid of the “video blocked” notice but all the versions I uploaded had a “matched song” copyright notice, and still the ads. The strange thing was that they were matched with different songs! One was called "Morning Forest - Serene Nature Sounds", and another was called “Chinese Street Festival” - musical composition administered by SACEM. Two versions closest to the original were correctly recognised as Morning from Peer Gynt, though vaguely assigned to “One or more music publishing rights collecting societies”. If they don't know who owns the copyright, where is the copyright owner's share of the ad money going?

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 25. 2016 18:52

Gordon
Carl312
[Post New]
Quote: If they don't know who owns the copyright, where is the copyright owner's share of the ad money going?
The ad revenue goes to the people that made the claim of copyright. In the case of multiple copyright claims, I have no idea how the revenue is divided up.

I have a Youtube channel for several years, I have not gotten any ad money from my Channel. The last time I looked at how much ad money I was due, it was $0.98 USD. They do not send you a check for less that $100.00. It really depends of how many views of your video there are. I know of some Channels have have thousands of views each day. Carl312: Windows 10 64-bit 8 GB RAM,AMD Phenom II X4 965 3.4 GHz,ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB,240GB SSD,two 1TB HDs.

Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, all!

Reading all the posts as they came in, I'm sure glad I avoided all the hassle of uploading anything to YouTube. YouTube are causing a great deal of unnecessary grief to their contributors, it's a wonder anyone bothers to upload to them at all. Within the last week I shot, edited and produced a video about the Sydney Tramway Museum. It will go straight to DVD. It used a "Smartsound" track called "Hoedown" and I duly credited Smartsound in a closing credit scroll, along with crediting Cyberlink PD14 Ultra as the editing software among other things. At the moment I'm watching the situation with Community TV in my country and the disgraceful and unconscionable way it's being treated by this country's federal government. If and when this situation is resolved in favour of the Community TV sector, and a local operator I know of, can get his licence to operate his station on a free-to-air channel, I'll submit my video to his station. Sure as hell it ain't goin' to YouTube!

Cheers!

Neil.
Kyle 40
Contributor Location: Cumbria Joined: Sep 06, 2013 14:14 Messages: 467 Offline
[Post New]
Music Copyright is a big "Thing" here in the UK with a certain company, Performance Right Society, that has been at the forefront in chasing/tracking down music pirates before suing the "pance" off them. This is great news for musicians as they really do need the income from their music just to make a living. Well, it's not quite that as the PRS people only state that the money raised from prosercution goes into their own funds, just to keep the company powerful in the eyes of the law, the musicians getting next to nothing!

The only time money goes direct to the musician is if the person who is using a certain music track, buys a license, fills in a form stating the muscians name, track title, recording number, producer etc., and then hands over the money.. which can run into hundreds of £/$. Even then, the musician will just get a fraction of the money as the record/production company will harvest the biggest share. It must be really tough trying to earn aliving this way as not many musicians are "that" famous.

It's wonderful to know that some talented people are willing to let us use thier music for free, provided we just give them a credit.

I'll still use the Tube of You's with all it's problems, it is the easiest way to share my videosinnocent

This has been a really interesting thread, thanks Tony for starting it cool

Cheers

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Jan 27. 2016 06:26

I just want to edit and make pictures, walk my dog and go fishing.
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Hi, Kyle!

How goes it? As you said, you're going to, as a movie title suggests, "Carry On Regardless"! I just finished replying to a new post by Eric Matyas. At the end of that post I said it should be YouTube's obligation to sort this mess out themselves, not dump it on their contributors. But that's exactly what YouTube is doing... dumping their problem(mess, debacle, whatever you'd like to call it) onto YT's contributoing videographers, like yourself, when someone like you should not have to be burdened by this problem. The organisation you named, must be new, I've not heard of it until your mention. I'm familiar with NCB(National Copyright Board), i have several British-made 45s in my record collection, and those letters appear next to the publishing credits on nearly all of them. There was also PPL(Phonogramphic Performances Ltd.) a music copyright clearance organisation referred to on a number of British-made LPs I also have. Here in Australia it's APRA(Australian Performing Rights Association) and AMCO(Australian Mechanical Copyright Organization) In the last decade or so these two had joined forces while still looking after their part of the copyright situation. APRA looks after the performing side of the equasion, the singers and composers, while AMCO looks after the physical recording side, EMI, Polygram, Warner, Festival, BMG, Sony and others who produce the CDs we buy to listen to it all. These are the organizations who'll jump on you if you use any material they look after if you breach their sacred mantra..."Unauthorised public performance, broadcasting or copying of this record(or CD) prohibited".

Cheers!

Neil.
ynotfish
[Post New]
Just posting so that others who may experience a similar thing can know what to expect...

I (and PDtoots) have a number outstanding copyright claims, most of which I've disputed. Here's a kind of funny one (even though it's a nuisance):

17 June 2011 - Uploaded tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6PDeatLY1Q

3 February 2016 - (4+ years later) Received copyright notice - filed dispute immediately.

13 February 2016 - copyright claim released

Here's a copy/paste of the email:

Hi PDtoots,

Good news! Your dispute wasn’t reviewed within 30 days, so the copyright claim on your YouTube video has now been released.

Video title: "PowerDirector 9 Slideshow Tutorial"

The YouTube Team

How good's your subtraction???

Cheers - Tony
Neil.F.1955 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Quote: Just posting so that others who may experience a similar thing can know what to expect...

I (and PDtoots) have a number outstanding copyright claims, most of which I've disputed. Here's a kind of funny one (even though it's a nuisance):

17 June 2011 - Uploaded tutorial - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6PDeatLY1Q

3 February 2016 - (4+ years later) Received copyright notice - filed dispute immediately.

13 February 2016 - copyright claim released

Here's a copy/paste of the email:

Hi PDtoots,

Good news! Your dispute wasn’t reviewed within 30 days, so the copyright claim on your YouTube video has now been released.

Video title: "PowerDirector 9 Slideshow Tutorial"

The YouTube Team

How good's your subtraction???

Cheers - Tony

Hi, Tony!

Glad you got that copyright claim sorted, but you should not have been placed in a situation where you needed to go through that process. YouTube is to blame here, not you or PDToots! As I said to Kyle. "It should be YouTube's obligation to sort this mess out themselves, not dump it on their contributors", meaning they(YouTube) should not have dumped this copyright claim in your lap.

Cheers!

Neil.