Announcement: Our new CyberLink Feedback Forum has arrived! Please transfer to our new forum to provide your feedback or to start a new discussion. The content on this CyberLink Community forum is now read only, but will continue to be available as a user resource. Thanks!
CyberLink Community Forum
where the experts meet
| Advanced Search >
PhD6 / PhD7 menu bar not working in Windows 10
Bill_D [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Jul 30, 2014 21:43 Messages: 15 Offline
[Post New]
Thanks for your reply, Jefferson. I don't see anything like what you've described at the top of PhD6's window. But everything else you've described matches what I've seen.

The fact that I've had no problems with any other programs since upgrading to Windows 10, and that the PhD6 menu bar submenu popdowns did work for me one time (see my 2015.08.26 comment) might indicate that there's a glitch in PhD6 with some graphics cards/drivers. (I'm running a GeForce GTX750 Ti with the latest drivers.) But that's just my guess.

Bill

This message was edited 1 time. Last update was at Sep 04. 2015 19:26

Robert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 05, 2015 14:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
I have the same problem win10 pro 64 bit, using amd 280 card the file -> help does not show anything. I am also using power director without any problems. so kinda confused why its not working in photo.
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Robert - that is pretty strange that PowerD works fine in Windows 10, but PhotoD doesn't. For what it's worth, I now have three support tickets open with CyberLink, all of them about this problem, and I'm still waiting for ONE of them to be answered and resolved.

Bill
kevin2015 [Avatar]
Member Joined: May 24, 2015 22:27 Messages: 69 Offline
[Post New]
So that's four people experiencing the same problem:

• Bill_D

• kevin2015

• Jefferson

• Robert

Two of those individuals are brand new to the board making this thread where they made their respective first posts. I guess Bill_D made his first post here but he's been a registered user for a while. My point: this must be a serious issue if people are searching the internet and coming here to find a solution to the problem (or see if others are experiencing it).

I hope Cyberlink is listening, and will make an update to PhD6 and not give up on it when PhD7 comes out (which I presume will be in the very near future). Clearly there is an issue when people upgrade to Windows 10. Additionally, more people will be upgrading since Windows 10 is a free upgrade for so many people. So the likelihood is that this problem will be recognized / encountered by more people in the future.
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thank you for your reply, Kevin, and thanks to everyone who has contributed to this topic. Yes, this problem prompted my first post to this forum. Before this, everything was fine. After I got nowhere with CL's support, I turned to this forum for help - and I'm very glad I did. Thank you all so much for being here, and sharing your experiences and expertise.

By the way, I posted the link to our topic thread in my latest support request to CL. Maybe then they will read it and do something.

Bill
Robert [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Sep 05, 2015 14:46 Messages: 2 Offline
[Post New]
well i have created a support ticket too as i kinda have a hard time saving my work with no access to file.

if they dont fix this kinda fast i will have to make a request for refund as the software for me is broken.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
Newbie Joined: Apr 17, 2010 23:43 Messages: 24 Offline
[Post New]
I am havign the exact same issue as weel as others.

Computer #1

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit

16GB RAM

PhotoDirector installed on the default "C" drive.

The Face Tag Editor Tool will NOT open.

Computer #2

Microsoft Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit

24GB RAM

Photo Director installed to the "D" drive

1. The Menu Items (File Edit, Photo, View and Help) in the Menu Bar are NOT working with the exception of the Prferences Option

2. The Face TAG editor only opened one time. I wil not open.

3. PhotoDirector Version 6.0.5703.0 PTD140702-04

4. I have not installed the latest patch file.

How do I fix this issue ???
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
ROBERT58,

For those of us experiencing the same problem, I think we are all scratching our heads trying to figure that out. I can't imagine that the update / patch (6.0.6225.0) will fix it for you, bec that's the one I'm using...but if you contact CyberLink (even though that problem exists WITH their patch), I'd be willing to venture a guess that they are going to tell you that they can't help you unless you update to the latest version. So, you might as well update to it, if you want to file a support ticket and see what might come of it. Otherwise, if not, then I don't know what to tell you. Sorry.

Hopefully, this gets addressed in a future patch. My biggest fear is that it won't since PhD7 will no doubt be coming out very soon and most of their focus is on that.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for responding.

I just updated to the latest version 6.0.6225.0 and it did not fix the issue.

It either gets fixed in the next few days or I am going to ask for a refund. I just purchased the update to PHD6.
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Wait, I'm confused. You previously owned PhD6 but had to purchase the update in order to update PhD6 to the latest version? That doesn't seem right. It should have been free.

I must be missing something.
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
kevin - I think robert is saying that he had an older PhD version and bought the PhD6 upgrade, and had not yet applied the latest PhD6 6225 patch. Then he applied the 6225 patch, but that didn't fix the probllem.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
That is correct. I originally had PHD 5 and upgraded to PHD6. I applied all patches and the menu problem still exist on one computer. The other computer cannot produce a video if I have background music selected.

Overall I am NOT impressed with this software I am having issue with the basic functionality.
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Update: CL's support got back to me on 9/14 and gave me an FTP upload folder. They created the upload folder when I told them that it didn't exist. I uploaded the stuff they asked for. They replied with instructions for fixing PowerDirector 11! Huh?

So, then I bought PhD7 a couple days ago (another $70). I installed it, and it didn't fix my menu problem.

Over the past two days, I have spent over three hours uninstalling, then manually searching for and deleting any trace of CyberLink folders, files and registry entries. (BTW, PhD5 has its hooks in TONS of your registry.) I powered my PC down/on several times, to be sure that I closed/refreshed the registry.

Today I reinstalled PhD7ultimate again. Still no menus. Damn. This software is crap. Period. Until they fix it. 5 thumbs down. I'm done. I've already bought Corel PaintShop Pro - it's rated best by toptenreviews.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks for saving me the headache. I just purchase the PHD 6 undergrad and now see they just released PHD7 I have a E-Mail inquiring about a no-charge update to PHD7. If the answer is NO then PHD6 goes back.

Based on your comments I may just try the trail to see if It fixes my menu problems before going through all of the trouble.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have confimed that Photo Director 7 has the same issue with the menu bar selection not working. I ghave PHD6 installed to the following drive:

D:\Program Files\Cyberlink\PhotoDirector6

Photo Director 7 is installed to the following location:

D:\Program Files (x86)\Cyberlink\PhotoDirector7

I only change the the drive loaction and left the folder structure when I installed both products.

For others that are having issues let's detemine how many oif us have chose a different dreive and folder other t han the defaults.
kevin2015 [Avatar]
[Post New]
I have to say this whole thing (what's listed in this thread) is disappointing. It doesn't happen to me often (fingers crossed), but the fact that it did, and it is happening to others with such regularity (and rending the software useless for some) is just terrible. If it happened to me all the time, again where I couldn't use it, I would be livid. No doubt I would have to turn elsewhere. Hearing the response from CL's support group doesn't make it any better.

Possibly the biggest let down is that it has been reported in the new version of PhD7, which had I not read this thread would not have known it was out. Maybe that is to be expected because isn't most "next generation" software written off the past software's code? (That's mostly rhetorical.)

No, the biggest let down has to be the response from CL. This is a serious issue. My decision to upgrade software is mostly based on what the new features are. Setting that aside, I won't even consider it until I know CL takes this seriously (read: implements action). I'm sure there are many factors to this, like what version of Windows 10 are you using, other possible hardware and/or software conflicts, etc...AND, while I don't expect them to announce it in a news release (I know that's extreme if not borderline ridiculous), I would like to hear someone say they contacted CL and then have CL say to them, "Yes, we are aware of this problem and working on it."

ROBERT58: I don't change the drive the software wants to install to. Back in the day when hard drives were smaller, i did, but in general, my "rule" is to let the software go where the developers intended it to go. That being said, I'm careful on what software I install. Not crazy careful, but I don't just install anything I find online (there are those who do).
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Kevin:

I usually install just the OS and major utilities to the C Drive and all application on other drives in the system. I find that this make it quicker for me to back up the C drive and get the system back in operation in case of a failure.

I am going to open a case with them about this issues and get an official response on my installation.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
For some unexplained reason the Menu options of PHD7 started to work today. I am running Version 7.0.6901.0. The SR Number: is PHS150716-01.

The only changes I have made is a forced removal of NERO 2015 Platinum followed by a CCleaner Registry clean to remove all of the left over NERO items.

UPDATE:

I have determined that if I have my RealFlight USB Controller plugged into the computer before launcing PHD7 then the Menu options will NOT work. If I unplug the Realflight Controller and then re-start PHD7 the Menu options will work correctly.

The RealFlight USB controller is utuilized with the RealFlight Radio Control simulator.

I unplugged the RealFlight controller from my computer to get the Screen Saver a Power Options to work correclty on Microsoft Windows 10 Pro. No other software has a issue with the RealFlight USB controller plugged ioto the computer.

This message was edited 2 times. Last update was at Sep 26. 2015 01:04

[Post New]
Robert and all,

This issue has been referred to the development team at CL, so it's under active investigation.

Certainly disappointing but hopefully a solution soon.

PIX PIX YouTube channel
Bill_D [Avatar]
[Post New]
Thanks to Robert58, I think we have a work-around. He disconnected a USB game controller and the menus work again. I disconnected my USB joystick, and the menus returned for me, too.
ROBERT58 [Avatar]
[Post New]
Glad that it is working for you. I cannot take all the credit as this was originally posted in the RealFlight forum to resolve issues with the scrren saver and power saving options in MIcrosoft Windows 10 not working when the RealFlight Controller was plugged in.

I unplugged my controller to resolve that issue and then was workign on the finding a resolution as to why the PHD6/7 menus would not work and discoverd that they were working.

I am now working on trying to detemine exactly what is causing this interaction to happen.